Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted: PVE MMORPG That Accepts New Players

Comments

• Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    kitarad said:
    I didn't play BDO for the female models may be because I am a grandmother who's not really into female models but I enjoyed making nice looking characters as much as the next guy or may be less so.

I enjoyed the farming and trading aspect. I liked riding around opening nodes and planning out how to get my workers from different towns to the nodes. I had a small worker empire which I honed and made better at manufacturing, resource gathering and refining. I used this to make items to trade and I also grew crops which I experimented with and got varying degrees of success with various types of crops.

I bred horses and fished and generally explored and saw new places and opened some more nodes. I never bothered about upgrading my gear or PvP or PvE either and I had a whale of a time. The only things I upgraded were my wagons, boats, equipment and anything to increase my skills for the activities I was interested in.

BDO is a decent game if you can ignore the P2W like I could but what I did isn't really what most people do so they are miserable and I can totally understand that. Upgrading you gear in this game to be competitive is a horrible time and money sink.

But you no longer play, correct?
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    kitarad said:
    I didn't play BDO for the female models may be because I am a grandmother who's not really into female models but I enjoyed making nice looking characters as much as the next guy or may be less so.

I enjoyed the farming and trading aspect. I liked riding around opening nodes and planning out how to get my workers from different towns to the nodes. I had a small worker empire which I honed and made better at manufacturing, resource gathering and refining. I used this to make items to trade and I also grew crops which I experimented with and got varying degrees of success with various types of crops.

I bred horses and fished and generally explored and saw new places and opened some more nodes. I never bothered about upgrading my gear or PvP or PvE either and I had a whale of a time. The only things I upgraded were my wagons, boats, equipment and anything to increase my skills for the activities I was interested in.

BDO is a decent game if you can ignore the P2W like I could but what I did isn't really what most people do so they are miserable and I can totally understand that. Upgrading you gear in this game to be competitive is a horrible time and money sink.
    I see what you did there. (Whale of a time..oof) :)

When I was just a lad, my friends and I would play Risk, however we really never took the time to learn how to play by the official rules, rather we just sort of made our own up.

Did we have fun? Absolutely.  Were we playing the game correctly? Not at all,  we were doing it wrong...just like you were doing with BDO.

The argument BDO is "fun to play" if one ignores the P2W / gear upgrade grind is akin to saying Fortnite or COD are fun to play as long as one is willing to overlook all of the hacking going on.

Can you so it? Sure.  Should you be doing it and supporting such a game / company?

No, at least not in my opinion.

Ancient_Exilekitarad

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited April 2020
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

When I was just a lad, my friends and I would play Risk, however we really never took the time to learn how to play by the official rules, rather we just sort of made our own up.

Did we have fun? Absolutely.  Were we playing the game correctly? Not at all,  we were doing it wrong...just like you were doing with BDO.

The argument BDO is "fun to play" if one ignores the P2W / gear upgrade grind is akin to saying Fortnite or COD are fun to play as long as one is willing to overlook all of the hacking going on.

Well, except BDOs is much worse, as it is the company cheating their customers. 

Can you do so it? Sure.  Should you be doing it and supporting such a game / company?

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

Can you so it? Sure.  Should you be doing it and supporting such a game / company?

You never learned how to play Risk correctly?  WTF?  Next you'll tell us you didn't read the instructions for Axis & Allies or Shogun (aka Samurai Swords aka Ikusa).  Grr.  Probably never bothered to read the Player's Handbook or the Dungeon Master's Guide either.  You and your friends should be ashamed of yourselves.
    Kyleran

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    kitarad said:

Yes because I never stay long in one game. I enjoy flitting about and playing other stuff. I did what I wanted in BDO and I get distracted easily with other games. I was distracted similarly here when I was playing some single player games to play DDO.

That isn't an indication that BDO isn't a good game it merely means I don't last in any game very long. I think when Ctiy of Heores the private server came out I abandoned some game I was playing then and hopped on that. I do that all the time and I dropped City for another game. I am ephemeral in my interest and fleet foot and run from game to game. It isn't an indication of the lasting power of the game at all. 

There are two games that made me stay a long time and I believe that was because there weren't any better options for me then or more accurately ones I cared for. One was Everquest and the other was Everquest 2 although I did eventually leave EQ 2 for WoW.
    AlBQuirky

kitarad said:
    kitarad said:

Yes because I never stay long in one game. I enjoy flitting about and playing other stuff. I did what I wanted in BDO and I get distracted easily with other games. I was distracted similarly here when I was playing some single player games to play DDO.

That isn't an indication that BDO isn't a good game it merely means I don't last in any game very long. I think when Ctiy of Heores the private server came out I abandoned some game I was playing then and hopped on that. I do that all the time and I dropped City for another game. I am ephemeral in my interest and fleet foot and run from game to game. It isn't an indication of the lasting power of the game at all. 

There are two games that made me stay a long time and I believe that was because there weren't any better options for me then or more accurately ones I cared for. One was Everquest and the other was Everquest 2 although I did eventually leave EQ 2 for WoW.

I see.  But what if your character's choices and actions could actually effect and change the game world?  Do you think that might hold your attention longer?

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Hmm I think I was not entirely correct about why I stayed in Everquest 1 and 2 . I think it was friendship and my guild too that made me stay. I won't really stay for other reasons unless I am truly taken by the world. City of Heroes and Anarchy Online are examples of games that my friends didn't play but I enjoyed immensely for about a year.

Making a lasting impact on the world isn't something I have ever craved for in a game. I enjoy relationships. I had an online marriage in Everquest and was very close to the people I played with. That largely impacted my decision to stay even when I no longer truly wanted to play. In fact when some of them quit I left soon after.

Oh I forgot there was one other game that I stayed for a long time. FFXI that too was because of my friends so my motivation is friendship before anything else in my reluctance to leave. 

I am not a very good model for anything really just a very average player that loses interest quite fast but I often return to a game and stay for a few months. I played almost every MMORPG even PvP ones. Not the open world ones but those I can avoid the PvP like Aion, Archeage, AO and a few others.
    AlBQuirky

• PhyllisLangleyPhyllisLangley Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    edited May 2020
    There is no dungeons or raids.
    PVE in BDO is grinding mobs and world bosses. You're gonna be spending hundrads of hours on the same spot doing the same rotation till youre strong enought to move to another spot and do the same thing all over again. World bosses spawn every few hours. You go to a certain location(now also marked on the map) and kill a giant monster where you have a chance to get the BIS weapon for your class.
    Or you could just stick with life skills and play the game as an AFK simulator.
    Combat in BDO is amazing thats why a lot of people stick with it.
    Would look at FFXIV if youre only interested in PVE tho.

cpstest.org - Improve your clicking speed at a certain point of gaming
    Post edited by PhyllisLangley on
    AlBQuirky
    kitarad said:
    Hmm I think I was not entirely correct about why I stayed in Everquest 1 and 2 . I think it was friendship and my guild too that made me stay. I won't really stay for other reasons unless I am truly taken by the world. City of Heroes and Anarchy Online are examples of games that my friends didn't play but I enjoyed immensely for about a year.

Making a lasting impact on the world isn't something I have ever craved for in a game. I enjoy relationships. I had an online marriage in Everquest and was very close to the people I played with. That largely impacted my decision to stay even when I no longer truly wanted to play. In fact when some of them quit I left soon after.

Oh I forgot there was one other game that I stayed for a long time. FFXI that too was because of my friends so my motivation is friendship before anything else in my reluctance to leave. 

I am not a very good model for anything really just a very average player that loses interest quite fast but I often return to a game and stay for a few months. I played almost every MMORPG even PvP ones. Not the open world ones but those I can avoid the PvP like Aion, Archeage, AO and a few others.

Sure, I can see how friendships would motivate a person to keep playing an MMORPG longer.  Makes sense.

PVE in BDO is grinding mobs and world bosses. You're gonna be spending hundrads of hours on the same spot doing the same rotation till youre strong enought to move to another spot and do the same thing all over again. World bosses spawn every few hours. You go to a certain location(now also marked on the map) and kill a giant monster where you have a chance to get the BIS weapon for your class.

Having played Neverwinter, Blade & Soul (some), Tera (a little), and BDO, I would have to say that Neverwinter has the best action combat.  It's the most intuitive.  Though BDO certainly has better graphics.

It's ridiculous that the game basically encourages people to keep their computes on 24/7 in order to do certain activities.  Why can't your hirelings do things whether you're online or not?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I played BDO for a few months. It's really a shame that the monetization tied to improving your gear, which has a huge impact on your power, is such trash because the world building in it is outstanding and it's full of innovations that are very well done and thought out. Horse taming and breeding is a great and complex system that's better than any other MMO's mount system done to date and the farming, harvesting, crafting, worker, and trading delivery systems are equally outstanding,

The combat itself is also excellent even though the default GFX settings are way over the top. Luckily they can be toned down significantly in the options.

The P2W cash shop system kills it though. Had this been a B2P + sub MMO, had a few reasons to play grouped added to it, and toned down the teen super model, err,,, character creation system, it would probably be though of as one of the best MMOs ever.
    Ancient_ExileAlBQuirkyTokken
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited April 2020
    Iselin said:
    I played BDO for a few months. It's really a shame that the monetization tied to improving your gear, which has a huge impact on your power, is such trash because the world building in it is outstanding and it's full of innovations that are very well done and thought out. Horse taming and breeding is a great and complex system that's better than any other MMO's mount system done to date and the farming, harvesting, crafting, worker, and trading delivery systems are equally outstanding,

The combat itself is also excellent even though the default GFX settings are way over the top. Luckily they can be toned down significantly in the options.

The P2W cash shop system kills it though. Had this been a B2P + sub MMO, had a few reasons to play grouped added to it, and toned down the teen super model, err,,, character creation system, it would probably be though of as one of the best MMOs ever.

If Player Characters, NPCs/hirelings, and animals needed to eat, it would have added a lot of depth to the economy.  Much more incentive to farm/grow crops, hunt, and/or fish in that case.  If Player Characters needed to rest occasionally, homes would be much more important.  If clothing wore out and equipment/items broke, the economy would benefit from that as well.  I know items had durability (at least I think they did), but I don't remember them being in real danger of being damaged beyond repair or destroyed.  There is encumbrance in BDO, which is good.  But still a little unrealistic in terms of how many things/how much weight a character can carry.  No reason why players shouldn't need to have  NPC retainers, pack mules or wagons to help haul their stuff.

Whoever is or has been in charge of BDO up until now needs to be sacked.  Replace him with someone who wants to make a great game.  Why can't these people understand that a better game will make more money in the long run?  Has greed truly blinded them that much?  It's crazy.

Iselin said:

If Player Characters, NPCs/hirelings, and animals needed to eat, it would have added a lot of depth to the economy.  Much more incentive to farm/grow crops, hunt, and/or fish in that case.  If Player Characters needed to rest occasionally, homes would be much more important.  If clothing wore out and equipment/items broke, the economy would benefit from that as well.  I know items had durability (at least I think they did), but I don't remember them being in real danger of being damaged beyond repair or destroyed.  There is encumbrance in BDO, which is good.  But still a little unrealistic in terms of how many things/how much weight a character can carry.  No reason why players shouldn't need to have  NPC retainers, pack mules or wagons to help haul their stuff.

Whoever is or has been in charge of BDO up until now needs to be sacked.  Replace him with someone who wants to make a great game.  Why can't these people understand that a better game will make more money in the long run?  Has greed truly blinded them that much?  It's crazy.
    Yes but it was real and playable not just theoretical.

You go right ahead and design your perfect one and raise the couple of hundred million dollars to make it.

Me? I'll just take what other designers create - the good with the bad - and play for a bit or a long time depending on the ratio of things I like vs. those I don't... kind of the same way I live IRL :)
    Ancient_Exile
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Having played Neverwinter, Blade & Soul (some), Tera (a little), and BDO, I would have to say that Neverwinter has the best action combat.  It's the most intuitive.  Though BDO certainly has better graphics.

It's ridiculous that the game basically encourages people to keep their computes on 24/7 in order to do certain activities.  Why can't your hirelings do things whether you're online or not?
    You know what's ridiculous? Playing and sticking around in a game like Neverwinter that does system wide broadcast with a link to the item when someone gets a lucky reward in a loot crate for no reason other than more in-game advertising for loot boxes.

I was out of that POS game immediately when I saw that during their free beta period.
    Ancient_Exile

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Did you ever see that article on how much money Black Desert made?

They're not going to "sack" the person in charge who essentially made so much money they can finance 3 new games.
    Tokken
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Iselin said:

You know what's ridiculous? Playing and sticking around in a game like Neverwinter that does system wide broadcast with a link to the item when someone gets a lucky reward in a loot crate for no reason other than more in-game advertising for loot boxes.

I was out of that POS game immediately when I saw that during their free beta period.

Iselin Superior, Ancient_Exile Inferior!

LOL

Iselin said:

LOL
    Well I'm not the one going around nit-picking the shit you don't like in games on the basis of realism and immersion and true RPGmess while playing a game that spams chat ads at you... that's you.
    Ancient_Exile

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited April 2020
    Sovrath said:

They're not going to "sack" the person in charge who essentially made so much money they can finance 3 new games.

That's great.  Secure in the knowledge that so many people in the world are willing to spend tons of money on lingerie and other kinky outfits for their virtual girlfriends, er, I mean characters, my faith in humanity has been restored.

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

LOL
    Well I'm not the one going around nit-picking the shit you don't like in games on the basis of realism and immersion and true RPGmess while playing a game that spams chat ads at you... that's you.

Don't make me summon Ramuh.

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

LOL

Just trying to help you out.

AlBQuirky

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

LOL

Just trying to help you out.

Just who do you think you are?
    AlBQuirky

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Sovrath said:

That's great.  Secure in the knowledge that so many people in the world are willing to spend tons of money on lingerie and other kinky outfits for their virtual girlfriends, er, I mean characters, my faith in humanity has been restored.

It is a for profit game, not a for profit in only ways Ancient_Exile approves of game. They have done plenty well enough following their own plan. It's clearly not broken for them. Why then would they be inclined to fix it on the amorphous contention a "better" game would earn them more, especially when it comes from someone that denigrates part of what led to their success to begin with.
    AlBQuirky
    Sovrath said:

It is a for profit game, not a for profit in only ways Ancient_Exile approves of game. They have done plenty well enough following their own plan. It's clearly not broken for them. Why then would they be inclined to fix it on the amorphous contention a "better" game would earn them more, especially when it comes from someone that denigrates part of what led to their success to begin with.

Because I is smart.
    AlBQuirky

Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

You never learned how to play Risk correctly?  WTF?  Next you'll tell us you didn't read the instructions for Axis & Allies or Shogun (aka Samurai Swords aka Ikusa).  Grr.  Probably never bothered to read the Player's Handbook or the Dungeon Master's Guide either.  You and your friends should be ashamed of yourselves.
    My friends and I have much to be ashamed of for the follies of our mis-spent youth, not learning the rules of Risk is the least of them.

;)
    AlBQuirky

Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    kitarad said:

My friends and I have much to be ashamed of for the follies of our mis-spent youth, not learning the rules of Risk is the least of them.

;)

If you say so.  But it's never too late.

KyleranAlBQuirky