Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wanted: PVE MMORPG That Accepts New Players

popezaphodpopezaphod Member UncommonPosts: 58
I've been playing WoW on and off for years.  I am 50 years old and started way back when with the Open Beta and quit a few times before finally quitting Retail after Wrath of ther Lich King.  I spent time in a few other games - RIFT being the lonest run I had - but then I discovered the private WoW server scene.  I jumped in and out of it over the years and, since I'm housebound, jumped back in recently.  What I found was a bunch of snot-nosed min-maxing elitists who demanded perfect play and perfect dps on encounters I haven't seen in over ten years, toxic PvPers who ganked lowbies and justified their actions by saying "it's allowed in the game so it's OK for me to make other players' lives hell for hours at a time".  I'm too old for jerks like that and it caused me more stress than fun.  I am not interested in Retail or even Classic WoW; I don't like where Blizzard has taken the game and I won't give them any more money.

I'm looking for suggestions for anothe MMORPG to get into - one with semi-casual players who still want to try end-game raiding without berating people over Discord. I pre fer caster/hunter/DPS roles and don't like melee/Tank/Healer roles.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I'm on a fixed income, so F2P with options to buy boosts would be a plus.  I'm off to read reviews and awautvreplies.  Thanks!

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited April 2020
    Star Wars:  The Old Republic has great PvE stories to follow, if you like very on-rails PvE.  There is the option to raid at endgame.  It has a mix of casual and more serious players.  It is also supposed to have a decent F2P option, relatively.

If you're not able to spend at least $15 a month for a sub, your experience in almost all MMOs is going to suck.  Players usually end up paying more than that on "free" games.  These games exist to make money, and have to make it uncomfortable, if not outright painful, to get people to spend money.  Bottom line, F2P is a lie.
    Tokken
  • Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303
    edited April 2020
    F2P is doable if you're comfortable with probably never reaching the top tiers of the gaming elite with your character(s). 

Btw, IMHO, F2P games should be "Pay to progress faster/more quickly" rather than P2W or "Pay to succeed in less than 10 years".

People that work already pay.  Why?  Because they have less time to invest in playing.  Plus they often have families that require at least some of their free time in order to maintain (w/out getting divorced or w/e).  Some people who play online games even do other things besides play games in their free time.  Regardless of whether they work or not.  Only independently wealthy people can usually afford to pay and play for 8-18 hours a day.

Free players pay by investing more time and energy into a game than paying players do.  They also perform a service by helping to provide content for those that do pay.  In many MMORPGs, paying players might often have trouble finding players to group with if it weren't for free players.  Games with PVP might find it hard to get enough people to play a match if it weren't for free players.  Only the most popular MMORPGs with the highest populations don't have these problems.  Or usually don't have these problems.

However, I found that queuing for dungeons/multi-player content in FFXIV could sometimes involve long waiting periods.  Especially for DPS roles.
    Post edited by Ancient_Exile on
    "If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,726
    LOTRO. Good, laidback community. Though players don’t really group until end game. Hunter plays like your typical ranger archetype but no pet. You get all the traps and it’s THE nuker class of the game. I have a lifetime account so not sure how good the FTP version is. Doesn’t hurt to try. 
    Po_ggdefroststarTokken
    Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
    achesoma said:
    LOTRO. Good, laidback community. Though players don’t really group until end game. Hunter plays like your typical ranger archetype but no pet. You get all the traps and it’s THE nuker class of the game. I have a lifetime account so not sure how good the FTP version is. Doesn’t hurt to try. 
    I was thinking of this one, too, but I didn't recommend it for a couple of reasons.  First, it's a looooong, solo grind to cap.  You can go for extended periods without even seeing another player, much less grouping with one.  Second, there aren't that many serious raiders at endgame, and the ones who are expect you to know what you're doing and don't have a lot of tolerance for sub-par play.  That's my experience, at least.  Third, although you can gain access to many quest areas through a lot of grind, you still have to pay for past expansions if you want all the content.  I forget the exact dollar amount, but someone totaled up the cost for full access recently, and it was something like $150 for all expansions.  They do sometimes have sales.
    achesoma said:
    I was thinking of this one, too, but I didn't recommend it for a couple of reasons.  First, it's a looooong, solo grind to cap.  You can go for extended periods without even seeing another player, much less grouping with one.  Second, there aren't that many serious raiders at endgame, and the ones who are expect you to know what you're doing and don't have a lot of tolerance for sub-par play.  That's my experience, at least.  Third, although you can gain access to many quest areas through a lot of grind, you still have to pay for past expansions if you want all the content.  I forget the exact dollar amount, but someone totaled up the cost for full access recently, and it was something like $150 for all expansions.  They do sometimes have sales.

How many hours of playtime does each expansion provide?  And is it fun or grind-heavy?  Single-player games might cost $20-60 a pop, sure.  However, depending on the game and the amount of replay value it has, it might provide hundreds of hours of actual fun.  A game like Warhammer Total War, for example.  If you like Single-Player Turn-based Strategy War Games.  And the cool thing is, I can take a break for months or years and then come back and play it for many hours and perhaps even have the same amount of fun as I did when I played it before. 

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

achesoma said:

How many hours of playtime does each expansion provide?  And is it fun or grind-heavy?  Single-player games might cost $20-60 a pop, sure.  However, depending on the game and the amount of replay value it has, it might provide hundreds of hours of actual fun.  A game like Warhammer Total War, for example.  If you like Single-Player Turn-based Strategy War Games.  And the cool thing is, I can take a break for months or years and then come back and play it for many hours and perhaps even have the same amount of fun as I did when I played it before. 
    LOTRO provides many, many hours of play, and I find it fun.  If you have money to spend, it's great bang for the buck.  But the OP said he is on a fixed income.  He'll most likely quickly run into a sticking point where he'll want the next expansion, especially if he wants to get to raiding content.  And unlike most MMOs which wisely make prior expansions free when new ones come out, LOTRO has stubbornly stuck with making you pay for everything.  It can be a bit off putting for anyone considering playing, more so for someone who has limited funds. 
    Ancient_Exile
  • NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Lord of the Rings Online

One of the better communities around and everything is totally free to play until May 31st (it just got extended another month as of today).

So all regions, all expansions, all quests, all skirmishes and all raids, free to play.

Plus with the stay at home orders in effect the population numbers are higher than they've been in a long time.
    Po_ggdefroststar

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

edited April 2020
    achesoma said:

LOTRO provides many, many hours of play, and I find it fun.  If you have money to spend, it's great bang for the buck.  But the OP said he is on a fixed income.  He'll most likely quickly run into a sticking point where he'll want the next expansion, especially if he wants to get to raiding content.  And unlike most MMOs which wisely make prior expansions free when new ones come out, LOTRO has stubbornly stuck with making you pay for everything.  It can be a bit off putting for anyone considering playing, more so for someone who has limited funds. 

So, Lotro doesn't give me all the past expansions for free if I buy the latest expansion?  Even EQ2 did that when I played it in 2014.  (While being technically F2P, many things were not available unless one subscribed, paid for certain expansions, or bought features of certain expansions piecemeal from the cash shop.)

achesoma said:

So, Lotro doesn't give me all the past expansions for free if I buy the latest expansion?  Even EQ2 did that when I played it in 2014.  (While being technically F2P, many things were not available unless one subscribed, paid for certain expansions, or bought features of certain expansions piecemeal from the cash shop.)
    Nope.  Here's a link to the store with all the released expansions.  Looks like it's $170 if you want it all.

https://store.standingstonegames.com/store?Action=list&Locale=en_US&SiteID=ssg&ThemeID=4823088100&categoryID=58516200
    achesoma said:

Nope.  Here's a link to the store with all the released expansions.  Looks like it's $170 if you want it all.

https://store.standingstonegames.com/store?Action=list&Locale=en_US&SiteID=ssg&ThemeID=4823088100&categoryID=58516200

Wowzers!

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I've been playing WoW on and off for years.  I am 50 years old and started way back when with the Open Beta and quit a few times before finally quitting Retail after Wrath of ther Lich King.  I spent time in a few other games - RIFT being the lonest run I had - but then I discovered the private WoW server scene.  I jumped in and out of it over the years and, since I'm housebound, jumped back in recently.  What I found was a bunch of snot-nosed min-maxing elitists who demanded perfect play and perfect dps on encounters I haven't seen in over ten years, toxic PvPers who ganked lowbies and justified their actions by saying "it's allowed in the game so it's OK for me to make other players' lives hell for hours at a time".  I'm too old for jerks like that and it caused me more stress than fun.  I am not interested in Retail or even Classic WoW; I don't like where Blizzard has taken the game and I won't give them any more money.

I'm looking for suggestions for anothe MMORPG to get into - one with semi-casual players who still want to try end-game raiding without berating people over Discord. I pre fer caster/hunter/DPS roles and don't like melee/Tank/Healer roles.  Any advice would be appreciated.  I'm on a fixed income, so F2P with options to buy boosts would be a plus.  I'm off to read reviews and awautvreplies.  Thanks!
    End game raiding without douchebaggery, that's gonna be a trick.

I hate to say it, but I got nothing, Raids just tend to bring out the shit in the people when it comes to MMO's.
    KylerancheyaneAmarantharNyghthowler
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

edited April 2020
    Ungood said:

I hate to say it, but I got nothing, Raids just tend to bring out the shit in the people when it comes to MMO's.

This may be at least partially due to the way raids are designed and implemented.  Many players probably don't want to waste their time (playtime) and energy and wipe due to the inexperience or possible lack of skill exhibited by new players.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't just one player's mistakes (or even a single big mistake) cause the whole raid group to fail in some of these precious and wonderful End Game activities?
    UngoodAmaranthar

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,178
    A little different than a traditional MMORPG, but PSO2 is a great option, and it will launch on PC pretty soon.  

At max level, the "Raids" which are pretty much advanced and urgent quests allow you to drop in with casuals whenever you want, or make your own group if you want something tailor made so there's no question on whether or not you pass it. 

But for the most part, consequences are minimal, it's easy to find groups, and the content can be pretty easy to go through with NPC teammates if you don't want to bother with real people.

Plus you get I think 3 characters in the F2P version, and leveling shouldn't be too hard. You can still buy stuff from the shops but you can't sell your own stuff unless you sub. Still, you'll be able to progress all the way to max and run end game stuff, and it makes for a good casual game on the side of anything else you might be playing.
    Ancient_Exile

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't think your ever going to remove the elitism that a terrible game design creates with the whole "end game" nonsense.

I also feel the OP is kind like so many others stuck in that Wow is the only game and can't let go.I will admit there really is only two choices,linear questing to end game or camp grouping with others to end game.

I will also admit there is not a lot of choice outside of Wow but imo EQ2 is a better WOW but no longer has much of a player base.FFXI has the exact same end game as Wow with Item level gear scores but the rest of the game is way more deep than Wow will ever be.

Every single one of these games tries to put the most rewarding content behind a wall of Raiding.it is such a terrible design because it is saying that if you don't like the idea of Raiding and or only want to spend time with your family/friends in game you are left out.

Long story short,your not going to find it any better in any of the games,they are all the same which was always my biggest peeve,just give us CHOICES so we don't all end up in Wow.Luckily for me,idc one iota about end game raiding crap,so within FFXI i have way more game to enjoy for years to come.
    Ancient_Exile

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited April 2020
    +1 for LotRO.
    Great community, helpful and friendly towards casual and new players. Not many elitists, and no toxic pvp gankers - especially since pvp is fully separated and tucked away in the corner :)

You can hear a lot of complaints around these parts of the web about its monetization (and those of us say otherwise labeled starry-eyed fanboys).
    I believe LotRO's (and DDO's) f2p model is among the best ones, others debate it,
    but
    as Nebless posted above, right now it doesn't matter because of SSG extended the #stayhome offer and all the content in the game is free for all.

Caster/hunter/dps role, hunter will be your path probably, ("casters") magic in LotR is for wizards :)
    There are "caster" classes, they can be pretty good in the dps department as well, but two of them are healers, and the third is CC/pets.

As achesoma said hunter ain't a pet class in LotRO like in Wow, which gives an interesting choice depending on that:
    hunter, with ranged dps (both single and AoE), some CC with traps, mobility and some melee dps for emergency cases, or
    if you liked the pet aspect in Wow you can pick lore-master with pets, lots of CC, moderate ("caster") ranged dps. But more squishy than the hunter.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    edited April 2020
    "I also feel the OP is kind like so many others stuck in that Wow is the only game and can't let go:"

I have seen this many times.....Basically they only like MMOs identical to WoW like RIft. They are afraid to go outside the box in their MMO experience and it usually ends up being the same. I am glad I started in MMOs before WoW. I saw many different types of gameplay and didn't become spoiled by the easy gameplay which wow brought to the genre.
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Ungood said:

This may be at least partially due to the way raids are designed and implemented.  Many players probably don't want to waste their time (playtime) and energy and wipe due to the inexperience or possible lack of skill exhibited by new players.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't just one player's mistakes (or even a single big mistake) cause the whole raid group to fail in some of these precious and wonderful End Game activities?
    Gonna say you are spot on. 
    Ancient_Exile
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    achesoma said:
    LOTRO. 
    I forget the exact dollar amount, but someone totaled up the cost for full access recently, and it was something like $150 for all expansions.  They do sometimes have sales.

So, Lotro doesn't give me all the past expansions for free if I buy the latest expansion?  

While true, the fact is everything is expensive if you're going to pay full price for it.  Also the link is to the online market, if you purchase via steam (they have some of the packs) or via the in game store you can bring those numbers down.

With LotRO you A) Don't need everything, and B) you REALLY don't need everything at once.  So while the overall price is going to be high, you can spread it out.

Also not only do you build up free store points while playing that'll help (but a totally pain to try and fund purchases solely that way) if you purchases store points when the sales are going you'll get more points than normal and then if you want to purchase the packs you want when those go on sale you won't spend as much money.  So that big number is slowly lowered.

While $20 every 2 or 3 months is a pain for some, most can swing it and that's all you really need to do to play.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Ungood said:

Ohhh yeah...had my own Leroy Jenkins moment back when raiding in Vanilla WoW.

Raid was queuing up in the room adjacent to Onyxia's lair, going through all of the final prep and instructions which were trademark of 40 man raids....so tired.....zzzz 

Suddenly I snapped my head up only to find myself staring face to face with a really angry dragon and an even angrier raid leader screaming into my headset, "Kyleran, WTF are you doing!!!"

Fortunately one or two of the pallys or locks made it to the exit which prevented it from being a total disaster.

-100 DKP.

Some day I'll share how I lost 1000 DKP.

;)
    Ancient_ExileUngood

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Nebless said:
    Lord of the Rings Online

One of the better communities around and everything is totally free to play until May 31st (it just got extended another month as of today).

So all regions, all expansions, all quests, all skirmishes and all raids, free to play.

Plus with the stay at home orders in effect the population numbers are higher than they've been in a long time.

I haven't looked and you seem to be "in the know", so what happens after May 31st? Are the expansions still on my PC, or will they need to be "paid for" then?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    I haven't looked and you seem to be "in the know", so what happens after May 31st? Are the expansions still on my PC, or will they need to be "paid for" then?
    The expansions are always on your PC... when May is over, I assume it will be the same when your subscription expires. You can finish all the quests and deeds you've started, just you won't be able to pick up/start new ones.
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Po_gg said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    The expansions are always on your PC... when May is over, I assume it will be the same when your subscription expires. You can finish all the quests and deeds you've started, just you won't be able to pick up/start new ones.

So as long as you pay your $15 subscription, you have access to all?

Or will LotR seek it's $170 then?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Nope, I just meant probably it will use the same mechanic as the sub expiration.

Sub gives you access to the whole game sans expansions, those are a purchase even for subscribers, just like in the old days. When June comes, it will simply switches back to the default stage, you can play what you own, based on your previous purchases and/or subscription status.

And that will probably happen like when sub expire, hence my analogy. If you're questing at that time in a zone/expansion you don't own, you probably will be able to finish what you've started, but not picking up new quests there.
    AlBQuirky
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Every single MMO these days that has high end grouping for instanced dungeons or raids has the exact same asshattery as WOW and every single game with PvP where it's possible to grief/gank has that as well.

The best you'll be able to do is find one that either has no PvP or has it only in designated zones to remove half of your concern.

The PvE group part is tougher although joining a good large guild and doing that type of content with your guild only is a workaround for the toxicity of PUGs.
    AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Raiding is an excellent flower bed for elitism. It nurtures it and these people survive and thrive on it. You'll probably find that in every game that has raiding in one form or another and older games are notoriously bad for it. 
    UngoodAmatheAncient_ExileAlBQuirky[Deleted User]