Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want a treasure room.

AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
I always like to collect things like gemstones if they are available in a game. 
I wish there were more items, like: 
- gem studded golden cups
- Statuettes and larger statues
- jewelry that looks valuable (and hopefully is in-game)
- paintings that look like quality art
- elaborate candle sticks, gold or silver, with gemstones
- rare tomes, scrolls, and manuscripts
- crystal balls and elaborate mirrors, and the like
- magical artifacts
- inlaid panels and reliefs in stone slabs
- sets of runic symbols on small stones
and etc. 

And I wish I could set it all out in a secret vault/room in my house. I'd like to be able to take a quantity of gemstones and a golden deep dish and creat an item that looks like a dish full of that sort of gemstones. And things similar to that, for appearances. 

Something like that is an extra thing to play for as a player collects his trove through game play. 
Does anyone else like that sort of thing? 

Once upon a time....

KyleranUngoodAlBQuirkyTokken

Comments

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited April 2020
    I perfer enemies colection room instead of treasure room

Dress up armory room is good too , where you can collecting armors , cosmetic items and display them

pet and mount collection room also wanted

treasure room , not too much .
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    SWG had some amazing houses as anything in game could be set in your house.
    Amaranthar
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited April 2020
    Modern games give you EVERYTHING right from the beginning. 

"here kids, play with all this"

Nothing matters anymore..... ALL  mmorpgs suck on every level for the last 10 years.

I't comes down to 5 year old age game play.
    Gdemami
  • Gamer54321Gamer54321 Member UncommonPosts: 452
    edited April 2020
    I can definitely see how this could be interesting.

Scott McCloud (comic maker/theorist/critic) pointed out in one of his book, how Japanese Manga tended to spend a good close-up drawing of an item that was used, to just show off what it looks like (because it is impractical or uninteresting to draw it when zoomed out). Something like that should be interesting I think in a game, but not like they did with the game/console port Skyrim, where they just had these items rotating in empty space inside a menu.

If I could choose I would go for a physics driven gold coin pile. :)
    Post edited by Gamer54321 on
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    I'm imagining the OP diving into his treasure like Scrooge McDuck dives into the cash in his bank vault.

;)
    AmarantharTuor7SovrathAsheramAlBQuirkyNyghthowler

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited April 2020
    UO has been great for this over the years ... Build your own with Tresure room that has display cases etc to show off those super rare items ..

Here is a ss of me starting a treasure room on my second acct , its shows a pretty wicked Axe in a Display case among other things , Just started this one ..

httpscdndiscordappcomattachments461616771384999939514949362942607381unknownpng

Post edited by Scorchien on
    SovrathAmarantharstrawhat0981Kyleran
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Not really a fan of interior decorating or collecting so no. 

Housing with useful conveniences such as extra storage, crafting stations, etc. I do like. But I ignore the collectible or decorative stuff. If I ever accidentally get some of it, it just gets plopped down in a corner out of the way somewhere :)
    delete5230
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    EQ2 has a very robust collection system.
    cheyane

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,785
    iixviiiix said:
    I perfer enemies colection room instead of treasure room

Dress up armory room is good too , where you can collecting armors , cosmetic items and display them

pet and mount collection room also wanted

treasure room , not too much .
    A trophy room? 
    Yes, although I'd expect to just use most of that throughout my house. 
    There are RL castles with rooms dedicated to trophies, such as stag antlers, that had been added to over generations of hunts. 
    iixviiiix

Once upon a time....

SWG had some amazing houses as anything in game could be set in your house.

Yes, and as Scorchien showed, UO did too. I think SWG's system worked better because of being 3D and you could raise and lower the items, adjusting it to the exact spot you wanted it, right? 

Once upon a time....

I can definitely see how this could be interesting.

Scott McCloud (comic maker/theorist/critic) pointed out in one of his book, how Japanese Manga tended to spend a good close-up drawing of an item that was used, to just show off what it looks like (because it is impractical or uninteresting to draw it when zoomed out). Something like that should be interesting I think in a game, but not like they did with the game/console port Skyrim, where they just had these items rotating in empty space inside a menu.

If I could choose I would go for a physics driven gold coin pile. :)

Yeah, on one level it's about artistic value. Beautiful art is more fun to look at and appreciate. 
    The other level is the time and effort to collect stuff, some people get a satisfaction out of that and I'm one. It's another level of game activity that has some basic reward value. 

Once upon a time....

Scorchien said:
    UO has been great for this over the years ... Build your own with Tresure room that has display cases etc to show off those super rare items ..

Here is a ss of me starting a treasure room on my second acct , its shows a pretty wicked Axe in a Display case among other things , Just started this one ..

httpscdndiscordappcomattachments461616771384999939514949362942607381unknownpng

I don't know if this still works, but there was a small golden statue of a woman (a veteran's reward, I think) that I was able to drop in a position that looked like it was inside of a marble pillar. The effect was that it looked like an inlay of gold on the marble. 
    I could lock it down, too. 
    That looked really cool, as I did it to two pillars in a sort of entrance like position. I had a screen shot, but that comp fried so I lost it. 

I loved UO's customized housing system 
    I used two accounts to get side by side lots and designed them to look like they were connected, with an open breezeway between them on the ground level. 
    Then UO added those teleport tiles, and I used them to actually make it seem like you walked from one to the other, and back again, over an upper bridge. 
    I think it's fun to design stuff in a game. 

Scorchien

Once upon a time....

Amathe said:

I didn't know that. Does EQ2 have player housing then? 

Once upon a time....

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Amathe said:

It does and its well done , altho its instanced ..
    Scorchien said:
    Amathe said:

It does and its well done , altho its instanced ..
    Instanced housing loses some strong glue, but it's better than none. 
    I always wondered if it could be done in small zones within cities, but when you go into the zone it's expanded to much larger. If the city proper is centered, and the housing zones are around that with an exterior wall, I think it would seem somewhat unnoticeable. 

Once upon a time....

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    LotRO could be a partial match, though more on what iixviiix said, trophies instead of treasures.

Almost all dungeons/instances/bosses can drop trophies, some of those could go as treasure too. And you can squeeze all of those into your house to display... and the garden, in case of statues and monuments.

While not exactly lore-fitting (no money or wealth overall, let alone bragging with it as Starfleet captains), you have that in STO.
    In your quarters you can put on display a pile of GPLs (gold-pressed latinums), the more you have the bigger the heap.
    This is 500k GPL (Latinum Pile Floor Trophy item)

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    This is kinda like why I like the Wardrobe in some games. It's one of the things I think is really missing from DDO, which is a very raid heavy/rare Loot game, that way, when I out level a raid dropped item, that at one time was very coveted, I could still have some kind of proof that, yes, I earned it.

So I totally get behind this idea of a trophy room.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ffs, now I want to try UO, its the one I never played.

Also, EQ2 has great housing, it is indeed instanced but very much worth it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Some games had the ability to show off boss heads or items from beating hard dungeons in housing. But it would be cool to have a treasure room. 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,517
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Try Trove, while it is Voxel, (which all things said and done, are not any worse then those UO graphics)

Trove provides all kinds of things to build a home, you can even buy a whole home world instance. They have hundreds of recipes for decorations and things you can put around for cosmetics and what have you.

So if you are looking to build a "Home", I would say Trove is an amazing playground to play with that.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    I have a treasure room in Skyrim. 

I created a sub-basement in my Solitude house (using the construction set) and can put things there. I usually save things of note, interesting weapons or "one of each" weapon type, etc.

In my Morrowind play through I've claimed a corner of the fighters' guild barracks in Balmora and have been throwing things there as I've yet to have a house made (I believe I can do that through several faction quests if memory serves.)

Ungood
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ungood said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Try Trove, while it is Voxel, (which all things said and done, are not any worse then those UO graphics)

Trove provides all kinds of things to build a home, you can even buy a whole home world instance. They have hundreds of recipes for decorations and things you can put around for cosmetics and what have you.

So if you are looking to build a "Home", I would say Trove is an amazing playground to play with that.
    Trove is great, I am actually starting Boundless which seems to be similar.

But I have always been intrigued by UO, not just for the building part. Guess I am just looking for an excuse to take the plunge...

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Ungood
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Kyleran said:
    I'm imagining the OP diving into his treasure like Scrooge McDuck dives into the cash in his bank vault.

;)
    Imagine going back to your treasure room only to find the game spawned a dragon in it which you have to defeat to get your room back.  :p

Amaranthar
    Asheram said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Imagine going back to your treasure room only to find the game spawned a dragon in it which you have to defeat to get your room back.  :p

"Run, Jon, the game is afoot...race. And I just need to be faster than you."

Asheram

Once upon a time....

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I always like to collect things like gemstones if they are available in a game. 
    I wish there were more items, like: 
    - gem studded golden cups
    - Statuettes and larger statues
    - paintings that look like quality art
    - elaborate candle sticks, gold or silver, with gemstones
    - rare tomes, scrolls, and manuscripts
    - crystal balls and elaborate mirrors, and the like
    - magical artifacts
    - inlaid panels and reliefs in stone slabs
    - sets of runic symbols on small stones
    and etc. 

And I wish I could set it all out in a secret vault/room in my house. I'd like to be able to take a quantity of gemstones and a golden deep dish and creat an item that looks like a dish full of that sort of gemstones. And things similar to that, for appearances. 

Something like that is an extra thing to play for as a player collects his trove through game play. 
    Does anyone else like that sort of thing? 

Magpie! Collecting all the shiny things :-P

I know what you mean though, collecting things and having somewhere to display them can be pretty cool. In most games, I just collect armour sets but then never have anywhere to display them.

The thing I remember collecting with the most passion was Daedra Hearts in Morrowind. I had a pretty cool house mod, with a basement with loads of tables and shelves. Whilst I tried to collect other things, it was only daedra hearts that really grabbed me. In my rose-tinted memory, I had 100s of hearts in that basement, but it was probably less than 100...

In real life, I have a few collections that I enjoy displaying. I finally have a full display case of painted warhammer stuff (its taken 22 years of sporadic painting to get here!) plus I like my shelves of books and dvds. If I had a house with a garage, I'd definitely be setting up some way to organise / display my fishing gear too. There's something very pleasing about having a rack with all your rods set out, ready to go fishing :-)