Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Has your religion ever affected your MMO game play?

13»

Comments

• Ancient_ExileAncient_Exile Member RarePosts: 1,303

MMORPGs can reinforce that idea by limiting or expanding your character's choices and options according to their Int, Wis, and Cha attributes.

"If everything was easy, nothing would be hard."

"Show me on the doll where PVP touched you."

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530

MMORPGs can reinforce that idea by limiting or expanding your character's choices and options according to their Int, Wis, and Cha attributes.

DDo already does this to extend, by changing some of my choices based on my stats, or skills. Like having a High Diplomacy can open up a diplomatic option that another character with a low diplomacy would not have available to them.

It's kinda cool to see sometimes how my Fighter has to interact with some people vs how my Rogue can get around things.

But I am wondering if you had some other game in mind.. I might give it a go.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Yes, it's cool that DDO does that to an extent.  I don't know of any other AAA MMORPGs that have anything like that off the top of the my head. 

(Note:  If I type something in a thread that does not exactly pertain to the stated subject of the thread in every, way, shape, and form, please feel free to send me a response in a Private Message.)

Yes, it's cool that DDO does that to an extent.  I don't know of any other AAA MMORPGs that have anything like that off the top of the my head. 

DDO is quite the complex game, has all the features that so many people say they want.. always wondered why it was not more popular.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

I am kinda wondering if they will have Godhood when they expand the game past 30th.

It might be too complicated for some people.  Also it's not open world.  Mostly instanced.  Some people don't like that.  Me, I probably would have played it more if I hadn't already played Neverwinter.  The action combat in Neverwinter made me cringe a little at the way DDO character's swing their weapons.  But I'm totally sick and tired of NW now. 

Or, you know, it might just be that WoW was so dominant when DDO was released that not enough people heard about it.  And, of course, at present the graphics are a little out-dated.  But it seems more players on this forum who are tired of everything else are now willing to go back or give it a try.

edited April 2020

Also, while DDO is basically F2P, a lot of content is locked unless a player is willing to pay.  That might discourage free players a bit, thus perhaps inhibiting population growth.  However, I believe everything is open to all right now until April 30th.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Wizardry said:
    Better question,WHY would i have a religion i would even call MINE?Is it because i want to be influenced by fake people,lol not a chance.

I have morals,beliefs of my own,i wouldn't be dumb enough to allow some cult influence to me.I guess i am just one of the lucky ones,i was brought up around a good environment of good people and lucky enough to have always been able to think for myself.

What does affect my gaming,well likely the same things that affect everyone,like stress,things on your mind,lack of sleep therefore lack of focus.

Other than that,gaming is just a time to relax  and hopefully have some fun.
    Wow, Wizardry being right about something. Maybe I aught to subscribe to the apocalypse after all.
    AlBQuirky
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited April 2020
    What I have noticed is that MMO lore has become increasingly atheist. Early MMOs nearly all had gods of some sort typically pantheons, a common feature in RPG's of the time which in many ways MMO's are derived from. The common theme here is the fantasy setting which over the last twenty years has moved away from gods, which I can only think is a reaction to those opposed to such portrayals which may well be the religious and the anti-religious! Keep your readers/players happy and don't offend seems the unwritten rule.
    Ancient_ExileAlBQuirkyUngood
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Vrika said:

Ah, I see.  But what about the Ninja part?

Cat form for druids gives them rogue -like abilities, including stealth.
    Right!

My friend and I were fighting demons in cat form. One would sneak to the rear of our target, the other to the front it. The rear cat struck first getting a backstab bonus, and as the demon turned to fight them, the now rear cat would strike for another backstab bonus. Thus: Ninja Kitties!

It was tongue-in-cheek, though :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Scot said:
    What I have noticed is that MMO lore has become increasingly atheist. Early MMOs nearly all had gods of some sort typically pantheons, a common feature in RPG's of the time which in many ways MMO's are derived from. The common theme here is the fantasy setting which over the last twenty years has moved away from gods, which I can only think is a reaction to those opposed to such portrayals which may well be the religious and the anti-religious! Keep your readers/players happy and don't offend seems the unwritten rule.
    I think fantasy stories are changing humans to be more human. Some decades ago your typical fantasy story adventure party had a group of very different stereotypical characters. Today the adventurers are a group of humans with much more realistic personalities, and the story focuses more on their interplay rather than stuff like gods.
    KyleranScot

Makes more sense now for sure.  Not that Guild names have to make sense.  They can be comical if we like.
    AlBQuirky

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited April 2020
    Scot said:
    Anti religion has become a religion in itself, just look at some of the replies in this thread. ;)

Is it any wonder game devs have decided to back away from including religion in games, even fake ones?

They add certain symbols, people may rage.  Make up some new game god, someone, somewhere will manage to find a specious tie to a "real" world god <grin> and of course be offended.

The topic of religion can never be really considered in games as people find it necessary to slag on others for believing in the "wrong" god, for believing in gods, or for not believing in one, so it's better to just quietly make it all go away.

IselinScotAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited April 2020
    I pity people who need some imaginary friend and/or some book to tell them how to live their life, and even more those who can't make the difference between a fantasy video game and reality.
    Funny thing though, I've never believed a person's game behavior is that far off from a their real life actions.

Sure, they may not be a murderous psychopath in real life, but very likely only the fear of retribution from society holds them back from acting on their true nature.

Same with asshattery,  most likely those folks are assholes in real life that I'd want to punch to the floor if they ever acted out in real life like that in front of me, but they know better.  :D

Yep, violent in video games, violent in real life if given good reason.

B) 

AlBQuirkyCaffynated

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited April 2020
    Kyleran said:

Same with asshattery,  most likely those folks are assholes in real life that I'd want to punch to the floor if they ever acted out in real life like that in front of me, but they know better.  :D

Yep, violent in video games, violent in real life if given good reason.

B) 

Isn't there some commandment against that, or has that been edited out in Florida? :)
    AlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited April 2020
    I love casual scenarios AND I HATE LONG DRAWED STORIES
    Still waiting for you to turn out to be a clever adbot, but just in case the reply is legit,  I don't think role playing games in general are really for you, better stick to AARPGs, pure shooters or sports games perhaps. ;)

Whatever you do, don't play F076's Wastelander expansion, its chock full of well written, in depth stories which enhance your journey throughout Appalachia.

Maybe I'm the really clever adbot, eh?

B) 

AlBQuirky

Kyleran said:
    I love casual scenarios AND I HATE LONG DRAWED STORIES
    Still waiting for you to turn out to be a clever adbot, but just in case the reply is legit,  I don't think role playing games in general are really for you, better stick to AARPGs, pure shooters or sports games perhaps. ;)

Whatever you do, don't play F076's Wastelander expansion, its chock full of well written, in depth stories which enhance your journey throughout Appalachia.

Maybe I'm the really clever adbot, eh?

B) 

I will eat my leather rangers hood if that's a real person. :)
    edited April 2020
    Vrika said:
    Scot said:
    I think fantasy stories are changing humans to be more human. Some decades ago your typical fantasy story adventure party had a group of very different stereotypical characters. Today the adventurers are a group of humans with much more realistic personalities, and the story focuses more on their interplay rather than stuff like gods.

Well the gods were typically in the background, never much focused on, just like in MMOs. You might be fighting because of "the gods" but they were firmly lore not gameplay.

But when the gods are the main protagonsits their personalites can be very "realistic" if you think thats important. I would say such works could be good as anything in fantasy out there using that criteria, from the very human like norse gods in their mythological tales to American Gods.

Toss a coin to your RPG god, they have not served us that badly. :)
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

Makes more sense now for sure.  Not that Guild names have to make sense.  They can be comical if we like.
    I remember a guild called Suck my PVPness, good fun.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScotAlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited April 2020
    I pity people who need some imaginary friend and/or some book to tell them how to live their life, and even more those who can't make the difference between a fantasy video game and reality.
    What does it matter as long as it brings them to being "good people?"

I don't care if people go to church 5 times a day, worship a rock in the backyard or spend their lives meditating by counting rice.

If it means they can use those experiences to be better people then more power to them.

I've met some amazing, highly religious people who are just the best of the best. And I've met some real asshats who were complete aetheists.

I'd rather have the people who are accepting of others, no matter what their belief system (or lack thereof) than people who align with how I think but are no better than dirt.

KyleranbcbullyAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Yes, subscriptions and cash shops together are against my religion. 
    KyleranAlBQuirkyScot
    Pala said:
    Yes, subscriptions and cash shops together are against my religion. 
    I'm a little rusty on my scripture, is that the Church of the Broke Ass, or the Brotherhood of the Tightwads?
    KyleranAlBQuirkyScot

I'm a Christian, but I'm not afraid of having deities take a more active role in a fantasy MMORPG.  They could even be played by Game Masters (controlled by AI when the GMs aren't online). 

ScotDibdabs

This discussion has been closed.