Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Maybe a classic UO shard in the makes!!!!

7Fold7Fold Member Posts: 318

I said maybe, but this dont seem like a rumor. Go to stratics and voice your support. Any other time the stratics staff would close threads about UO classic shards, now they are talking with the players about it. Heres what one post said, a UO Stratics Reporter.  Keep in mind these guys are as care bear as you can get, for them posting something like this could actually mean its coming

"When I asked DarkScribe about a UO:Classic shard, he said:

"Its all on the table."

He went on to explain that the main, current obstacle is determining what time period, exactly, would be preferable to the majority of players who are seeking such a shard.

Comments

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206
    umm I didn't see this thread.
  • MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

I would love to see them do this. Maybe since the new guy got on board that we will see a revamp to the old days! I would join UO in a heart beat.

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• GungaDinGungaDin Member UncommonPosts: 514

Good debate going on there.  I just think they need to have it set at t2A before trammel.  Thats all they would need to do to get me back in.  Keep it simple and it should do well.  I doubt its gonna happen though.  This idea has been on the table for years.  My suggestion is just find a player run shard set Pre-
    Trammel.  Thats what I did and i'm loving it.   UO circa 1999.   Since playing this UO i've stopped all the new MMORPGS (WOW, SWG, Guild Wars, COV and COH).   They just didnt give me enough to keep me playing.  

If they did release and old school server, I'd love to see how many old vets flock back.  Might be more impressive than most think and open the door to developing more games based on UO. 

Have you guys noticed there isnt really and UO clones out there?  Its all EQ based.  Well we can all hope and dream this old school server return.  I for one won't hold my breath but i'm not one who forsees the future too well.  They may just surprise us :)

• LuRaviLuRavi Member UncommonPosts: 239

Darkscribe isn't a new guy, if you saw the Samurai Empire videos they made, he is the one that played the ninja they hired.

He's been around for a llong while, I met him twice at two of the UO meetups.

• AmishFighterAmishFighter Member Posts: 9
    Well if it happened....man I'd be a little kid again

Ultima Online - UO Atlantic Gold for Sale ICQ Me: 321-375-826

• digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194

Even if they made a classic server, it would be way to little a few years to late, most people have already given up on UO ever being great like it used to be. I guess though, this is a start now if this happens and magically my 300 some odd icq numbers that i had for uo started all coming back online that would be nice, but it will never happen. ::::16::

• MaeEyeMaeEye Member UncommonPosts: 1,106

I guess if you do think about it and it does all go through.  It isn't going to be as popular.  I mean, there are hundreds of FREE shards out there that give you the pre-UO:R feeling.  So what would be the point?  Unless EA banned all free servers.  I guess if I think about it...I probably wouln't return.  To be able to bring UO back to life, you need to first give it a Graphic upgrade then think about returning original UO back.

my 2 cents

/played-mmorpgs

Total time played: 9125 Days, 21 Hours, 29 Minutes, 27 Seconds
    Time played this level: 39 Days, 1 Hour, 24 Minutes, 5 Seconds

• Dregard44Dregard44 Member Posts: 103
    A lot of people like to live under the illusion that UO free-servers give that feeling, but can you find any UO free-servers that can actually handle 1k+ players online at a time?

A Legend was Born

• skezskez Member Posts: 8

There are a couple servers that still give that feeling that have high population, UOGamers put out a T2A server with like 700 people on peak times and it definetly feels oldschool.

skez...

• paadepaade Member Posts: 471
    bah, ive played those old-UO free shards. Mostly community is awful and game is full of bots, cheats and whatnot. One game had a thread on first page (forum) explaining how to get 7GM in in a short time using exploits, that kind of shait kills any game experience imo.
  • digitydarkmandigitydarkman Member Posts: 2,194
    In Por Ylem was a good free shard for a little bit. Thats about all UO Freeshards are trash they all suck they are fun for maybe a day or so but they get old very fast.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by Dregard44
    A lot of people like to live under the illusion that UO free-servers give that feeling, but can you find any UO free-servers that can actually handle 1k+ players online at a time?

Hmm I'm going to keep this "legal" and say "yes".... in fact I'll go so far as to say I know for a fact of a couple that can handle over 2k online :)

They typically peak at about 1k or less though.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• ixontesixontes Member UncommonPosts: 317

Originally posted by digitydarkman

Even if they made a classic server, it would be way to little a few years to late, most people have already given up on UO ever being great like it used to be. I guess though, this is a start now if this happens and magically my 300 some odd icq numbers that i had for uo started all coming back online that would be nice, but it will never happen. ::::16::

I quit playing UO in the late summer of 2004 and cancelled my account in December of 04 and I for one would most likely comeback if they did a classic server.
  • PreyfarPreyfar Member Posts: 25

Originally posted by GungaDin

If they did release and old school server, I'd love to see how many old vets flock back.  Might be more impressive than most think and open the door to developing more games based on UO.

I'd rejoin. I played UO for over five years, from the day of launch until a few months after Age of Shadows. Age of Shadows slaughtered everything I loved about UO and twisted it into Items Online. I'm all for new content, but UO needed a graphic overhaul before it ever needed... what Age of Shadows did to the game.

Tramme/Felucca debates aside, I loved UO. As a former counselor (Counselor Saracen) I was in love with the game. The community. I couldn't get enough of Europa server. I was one of the oldest vets in the day, but...

Age of Shadows killed the game for me. Forever.

If they brought back a "classic" UO pre-AOS, yeah, I'd be all over that.
  • poythrespoythres Member Posts: 68

I rejoined 2 years ago and couldn't stand all the changes (I originally quit about 6 mos. after Trammel).  I'd be back in a heartbeat for an original server.  The community on free servers is generally pretty terrible.

Any new updates on this?

• mrkarlsenmrkarlsen Member Posts: 1
    I played from T2A to Age of shadows and had a 6 year vet account. Post T2a, i.e Trammel, RUINED the game. There was no longer the rush of being hunted down by a PK in deceit while hastily trying to recall out while shaking to death. It was just a dull money grind.

BRING BACK T2A.

BRING BACK ULTIMA ONLINE.

• misterfurioumisterfuriou Member Posts: 40

Id pay 100.00 a month for anything pre AOS with a good player base. And I am not kidding, I can afford it and if a form of entertainment that deserved that much came along (PRE AOS shard) you better believe Id be willing to pay for it. I miss the game that brought me seven years of entertainment on a nightly basis that is how extreme I would go. I know there are shards that offer pre aos pre uor etc. but of course those arent the same for obvious reasons.

Former UO player searching for something even remotely close to what UO was...

• JamesHJamesH Member Posts: 2
    That indeed would be incredibly awesome.

http://www.oldschoolpvp.net/
    Old School PvP a free Pre-UO:R Ultima Online shard

• JamesHJamesH Member Posts: 2
    That indeed would be incredibly awesome.

http://www.oldschoolpvp.net/
    Old School PvP a free Pre-UO:R Ultima Online shard

• VagrantStormVagrantStorm Member Posts: 4

I remember this topic on the official UO boards (MyUO boards). The devs always said that this was impossible because the original code for runing this type of server has been lost. So it would mean they would have had to basically make a whole new game again.

When I said "what about my original game CD?" They replied "It won't work or help...totally different."

That was when I gave up on this idea...

However, if they are remaking it or found the original coding I would playing in a heartbeat, and know there alot of other people who feel the same. Maybe that is cause for them to act on it.

• ThalomosThalomos Member Posts: 2
    Too bad everyone posting on stratics is wanting trammel.  If the server comes out with trammel it wont be anything special.

no u r

meh -- the freebie guys figured out that people like pre Trammel rulesets about 4 years ago and EA is still debating the merits of it.  EA could have had a lot of subscribers had they fired up a pIII system with a pre-Trammel era server about 4 years ago.

Now I'm beyond UO, all of it and they have lost their chance forever.  Between what they did with that game with their crazy item based conversion, their canceling of UO2 - TWICE and their debating over if they should make a classic server or not - for SIX YEARS - I could not be bothered.

Playing UO now has as much appeal as Pitfall for the Atari 2600.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    The carebears are on standby if the server comes out Trammel. I'm sure they have thousands of items that need storage across 6+ accounts. All the prime spots around town would be instantly taken by houses with 20 empty vendors on them.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

lol remember convincing people to trade you non blessed rare items for houses in fel?