Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old World Announced for Early Access on Epic Games Store

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2020 in Videos Discussion

imageOld World Announced for Early Access on Epic Games Store

Old World is now available for purchase as Early Access on the Epic Games Store.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    I guess before you get New World you have to get Old World...
    Tokkenstrawhat0981AlomarGroqstrong[Deleted User]PuReDusTvelimiriusFolmenwingoodRueTheWhirland 2 others.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    why the game kinda looks like a mod for civ 5?

btw I even forgot epic store exist
    velimirius
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    I am just so sick of the whole "from the developers that bought you..." line. ITS COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS!!!

Why you may ask? Well, those are HUGE teams of people. What was their roles and are they even deserving of any accomplishments they may have earned? For instance look at this scenario: Judy is part of the texture team for the game "poo face". She came up with some fantastic ideas on how to compress them yet retain their quality. She also upped the quality due to her skillset too. Bob runs the texture team. Bob gets all the glory because his team is the one that improved the overall look of the game and kept file sizes down. Bobs a hero! Bob is now taking his new accolades and creating a new game at his own studio and announces his game is from the developers of "poo face". Problem is, Bob sucks. Bob didn't actually do the good stuff. Judy didn't come with him.

What did these guys actually DO on those civ games? And are they solely responsible for what they did?

Now, if its a game that was "designed by" someone who designed another game I enjoyed ill pay attention. But I don't pay attention to grunts.

How many games have we seen now "from the developers that brought you Diablo 2"? TONS. Fuck, Im sure the janitor of the building has started his own team to create games at this point.
    sschruppGroqstrong

why the game kinda looks like a mod for civ 5?

btw I even forgot epic store exist

No you didn't.
    Folmenalkarionlog
  • thighhighsthighhighs Member UncommonPosts: 32
    edited April 2020
    EGS? No thanks.
    KalafaxvelimiriusFolmen
    https://humankind.game/

If you want an even better looking game that doesn't try to advertise "from the people who brought you...."

Plus, does Civ really need more micro-managing? I don't want to micromanage a world leader when I AM the world leader. I am already managing enough.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Why i lost interest in these games is the same reason i lost interest real fast with The Darkest Dungeon game.They become predictable very quickly,so the appeal burns off.

It is so predictable like touching a hot stove....yeah i know that is going to hurt.After the first game i tried i thought ok maybe there is a better one out there,nope all of them the same,like watching an APRG,very predictable,every game plays the exact same way.

Game developers in this era are creating generic builds of games,there is no care to be different or creative,just toss out a product,market it and make some money.That is all this industry is about now,making money as easily as possible.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2020
    Didn't even know Epic had Early Access. 2 news stories in one.
    GroqstrongvelimiriusIselin
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815

madazz said:

I am just so sick of the whole "from the developers that bought you..." line. ITS COMPLETELY MEANINGLESS!!!

Why you may ask? Well, those are HUGE teams of people. What was their roles and are they even deserving of any accomplishments they may have earned? For instance look at this scenario: Judy is part of the texture team for the game "poo face". She came up with some fantastic ideas on how to compress them yet retain their quality. She also upped the quality due to her skillset too. Bob runs the texture team. Bob gets all the glory because his team is the one that improved the overall look of the game and kept file sizes down. Bobs a hero! Bob is now taking his new accolades and creating a new game at his own studio and announces his game is from the developers of "poo face". Problem is, Bob sucks. Bob didn't actually do the good stuff. Judy didn't come with him.

What did these guys actually DO on those civ games? And are they solely responsible for what they did?

Now, if its a game that was "designed by" someone who designed another game I enjoyed ill pay attention. But I don't pay attention to grunts.

How many games have we seen now "from the developers that brought you Diablo 2"? TONS. Fuck, Im sure the janitor of the building has started his own team to create games at this point.

Woahhh...man relax lol.
  • SeaAndSandSeaAndSand Member UncommonPosts: 15

madazz said:

While I generally agree with you, if you do 30 seconds of research, the first person named in the vid, Soren Johnson, was the main AI dev of Civ III and the lead dev of Civ IV. With Mohawk being a smaller studio, I think having someone that was instrumental in creating what many consider to be great 4Xs is noteworthy.

As for the game itself, it does some interesting things and gives a unique approach to a historical 4X game. If you can get past the hate of the EGS (I generally can't myself) and you like the genre, it's worth an honest shot.
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    So a love child of Crusader Kings and Civ? I am interested. Might very well be game I will get once it gets out of jail.
    GrandpaDJ
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    From the player that played all the Civ games and most other space or historical 4X games, I'm kind of burnt out on this micromanagement genre. I think I'll pass.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Another Epic Store exclusive. An game I am exclusively ignoring from this point forward.
    moguy1

Let's party like it is 1863!