Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 Wastelanders Now Live, Marks Debut on Steam

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageFallout 76 Wastelanders Now Live, Marks Debut on Steam

The Wastelanders update is finally here for Fallout 76 and marks the game's debut on Steam.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Ok... if I went back I’d want to potentially do the private server thing. A few questions:

Does everyone need the sub in order to play on it or just 1 person to host?
    Is it persistent? If I am not on could my friend join the server?

Anything else good/bad to say about it?
    Valdheim

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    edited April 2020
    It's not really a private server in the sense you have a dedicated piece of hardware. It's more that you can get a dedicated piece of hardware on demand. When you sign in it populates your stuff, and when you log out it goes poof like on other servers.
    At first if the host quit, the instance would drop. I think they fixed that but I haven't checked. I think your friend would need to be invited or join from the friends list, not sure if they also need a Fallout 1st membership. Its polished for a Bethesda Game. Your character doesn't have the same level of impact they would have in a solo game because it needs to be kept persistent. The questing right now is a bit more in depth than something like Fallout 4.
  • DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited April 2020
    While I don't appreciate them charging for private servers, as they originally talked about it as being a future feature when updates were supposed to be 100% free - there's really not that much value in them.

I mean, sure, if you absolutely hate seeing other people walking around in popular areas - then it might have value.

But if you adjust that mindset to something a little more reasonable, then the amount of times you actually have to interact with others will be something like 20 seconds every 50 hours or so.

I've played the game for a couple of hundred hours now - and I can't remember ever interacting with a player beyond a handful of emote exchanges. I could have done much more, though.

I've never - ever - been attacked by anyone, by the way.

As for the game itself, it's essentially Fallout 4 with cooperative multiplayer in a different setting - and a few minor concessions for that sort of experience.

So, if you liked Fallout 4 - and you're not emotionally invested against seeing an occasional player (it will be more common in the beginner areas) - then you will almost certainly like this.

Of course, you have to accept that it's a multiplayer game in terms of infrastructure and that means always online and so forth, regardless of whether you play on a private or public server.

The modern Fallouts were always buggy, and this is no exception. Wastelanders does seem quite a bit more polished - but they're still using an old architecture and the engine was never designed for multiplayer - which is evident even now.

Personally, I think it's the best Fallout in terms of exploration. Not only is the world design superior to all the others (yes, including Fallout 1 and 2) - it's also 4 times larger than Fallout 4.

So, if you're into exploration - you're facing at least a few hundred hours of that, which I consider more than worth the very low price you can get it for these days.

To each his own, though.
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    Fallout 76 review: 7/10.

Never forget.
    LeFantomeRexKushmanNildenAgent_Joseph[Deleted User]NordicApache
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    edited April 2020

Ok... if I went back I’d want to potentially do the private server thing. A few questions:

Does everyone need the sub in order to play on it or just 1 person to host?

Is it persistent? If I am not on could my friend join the server?

Anything else good/bad to say about it?

Had some trouble tracking down info on the private servers but basically:

-> Only host needs the subscription (Fallout 1st).
    -> Friends without the Fallout 1st can join the private world (max. 8 players).
    -> The world stays active for 15 minutes after the last player (1st/Non-1st) has left the world.
    -> The host (1st) needs to rejoin the world to activate it for other players.
    --> It's basically passive hosting but you always need to reactivate it if the server stays empty for 15 minutes

About the subscription itself:

-> It's expensive (15€ per month / 120 € per year (10€/mo))
    -> Private World is a good feature as it allows you to experience the game without trolls or super geared/leveled players (PvP / Oneshotting event bosses) and it allows you to do gimmicky farming (farm private world -> public world -> private world etc.)
    -> Survival Tent is a great feature allowing you to plop down a fully equipped base anywhere without a cost
    -> Scrapbox is an excellent feature allowing you to store infinite craft supplies and scrapping items automatically by placing them in the box
    -> Atoms are a meh considering atomic shop is more or less cosmetic (there's few utility items like Fridge (-50% spoilage) and a scavenger bot (collects items near your C.A.M.P)
    -> Exclusive cosmetics meh unless your into this

Personally I feel the subscription would be good value at 10€ / 5€ but at the current price its quite expensive for what it is, unless you enjoy playing in a private world (alone/friends) and enjoy the extra (albeit slightly immersion breaking) convenience provided by Tent and Scrapbox. I guess you could *kinda* think of it as paying for server rental although you need to activate it manually when it empties :)

Whether there's massive nerdrage about the subscription or not, it's there and it is legit for some players.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Cygi said:

Never forget.
    It's probably there now for most, as a unabashed FO fan I'll go as much as 7.5 even.   :)
    AmatheAgent_JosephNordicApache

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257

Kyleran said:

Cygi said:

Never forget.

It's probably there now for most, as a unabashed FO fan I'll go as much as 7.5 even.   :)

"Now".

Review was "then".
    NordicApache
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    Cygi said:

Never forget.
    I think the scale here goes from 7 to 9. 7.5 means disgustingly bad in mmorpg.com speak :)
    kitaradKyleranNordicApache
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Cygi said:t

Kyleran said:

Cygi said:

Never forget.

"Now".

Review was "then".
    /shrug. That was then, different team, it's a new decade, time to move forward into the brave new world.

BTW, I would have given it a solid 6 back at launch, but I am a fan afterall.

NyghthowlerNordicApache

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    So pretty much what it should have been at launch without the train wreck of fails, bugs, hacks and memes?

From my perspective Bethesda chased the live service game market and cared more about getting a cash shop in there than making an actual game. The sheer amount of fail I've seen from this has made me go from a Day one Bethesda fan to absolute no respect and will not buy anything from them again.
    [Deleted User]IselinTacticalZombehGdemamiNordicApache

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited April 2020
    OMG NPC's are so exciting to run into, it's like when i bought Fallout 1st and was able to play alone in the world, it was a game changer to play fallout the way fallout should be played.

The NPC's is another epic game changer, and that's all in part to their (Bethesda) long term game plans i believe, they wanted you to be out there with other players from your vault, and only your vault, and now running into NPC's has become a memorable gaming moment i'll never forget.

People just ruin stuff for themselves, instead of enjoying the moment, which is gone forever now that wasteland's is here. Instead they rant and carry on like 2 year olds and now have completely missed out on that once and a lifetime moment and this experience as well because they were too busy throwing temper tantrums.

People really need to chill the f out and just enjoy the moment.
    Kyleran
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
    Xodic said:
    Nilden said:
    So pretty much what it should have been at launch without the train wreck of fails, bugs, hacks and memes?

From my perspective Bethesda chased the live service game market and cared more about getting a cash shop in there than making an actual game. The sheer amount of fail I've seen from this has made me go from a Day one Bethesda fan to absolute no respect and will not buy anything from them again.
    That's how I feel about it. No matter how much I'd want to try Fallout 76 and form my own opinion of the game I just can't bring myself to rewarding a company in which I despise. It's kind of like what Ricky Gervais said at the Golden Globes, "If ISIS had a streaming service, you'd call your agent." 
    Out of curiosity, do you hate Zenimax, Bethesda Game Studios, the team at Bethesda Softworks that actually developed FO76 - or the team at Bethesda Softworks that develop TES games and the singleplayer Fallouts?

Also, may I ask why?
    Xodic said:
    DKLond said:
    Xodic said:
    Nilden said:

That's how I feel about it. No matter how much I'd want to try Fallout 76 and form my own opinion of the game I just can't bring myself to rewarding a company in which I despise. It's kind of like what Ricky Gervais said at the Golden Globes, "If ISIS had a streaming service, you'd call your agent." 
    Out of curiosity, do you hate Zenimax, Bethesda Game Studios, the team at Bethesda Softworks that actually developed FO76 - or the team at Bethesda Softworks that develop TES games and the singleplayer Fallouts?

Also, may I ask why?
    I don't "hate" anyone, I just don't think rewarding the dog for pissing on the rug is beneficial to me, or the dog. I suppose Bethesda's leadership is who I have a problem with. The constant things they pull in an attempt to fuck their fans as outlined in this video.

But Zenimax is the company that ultimately owns Bethesda - and they're responsible in the end, as they're in charge of what projects to fund, and they set the top guidelines in terms of what they will greenlight and finance.

Instead of a video, could you perhaps speak for yourself? I'm not interested in videos by other people - but your personal position, as you're the one I'm talking to.

What decisions by what people do you think constitute pissing on the rug? Are you absolutely certain that by not playing Fallout 76 - you're somehow communicating something to that person or those persons?

Of course, you're free to ignore my question - but I'm just interested in establishing your position.
    defroststar
    Nilden said:

Yeah I've lost a lot of respect for them over the past 5 years or so.

First it was loot boxes in ESO then playing semantics BS games and carving out one of the yearly ESO DLC (that would otherwise be included with the sub) and calling it a "chapter" and making it so you have to buy it with cash, not the "crowns" that you can buy everything else with.

Then came FO76 that was nothing more than a multiplayer Fallout 4 DLC but hyped as something new just to get in on the GAAS gravy train.

I used to think of them as a studio with integrity when others like EA had very little of it but they've shown themselves to be just as sleazy as the rest.
    [Deleted User]TacticalZombehGdemamiKyleranNilden
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Nilden said:

First it was loot boxes in ESO then playing semantics BS games and carving out one of the yearly ESO DLC (that would otherwise be included with the sub) and calling it a "chapter" and making it so you have to buy it with cash, not the "crowns" that you can buy everything else with.

Then came FO76 that was nothing more than a multiplayer Fallout 4 DLC but hyped as something new just to get in on the GAAS gravy train.

I used to think of them as a studio with integrity when others like EA had very little of it but they've shown themselves to be just as sleazy as the rest.
    So, you don't think the world of FO76 - that's 4 times the size of Fallout 4 with at least 4 times the content - is more than a DLC?

You must be used to some pretty cool DLC :)
    DKLond said:
    Iselin said:
    Nilden said:

So, you don't think the world of FO76 - that's 4 times the size of Fallout 4 with at least 4 times the content - is more than a DLC?

You've measured it? :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    DKLond said:
    Iselin said:
    Nilden said:

Not personally, but other people did.

Let's pretend it's true - would that change your mind, though?
    edited April 2020
    DKLond said:
    Iselin said:
    DKLond said:
    Iselin said:
    Nilden said:

Nope. Let's pretend it isn't, would that change yours?
    Gdemami

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited April 2020
    Iselin said:
    DKLond said:
    Iselin said:
    DKLond said:
    Iselin said:
    Nilden said:

Nope. Let's pretend it isn't, would that change yours?
    Well, I've actually played it - so it would be hard to change my mind about what I've already played.

I've played all the Fallouts (including the terrible console game called BoS or something) - and there's no doubt Fallout 76 has the biggest world with the most diverse content, and actually also some of the best writing - certainly compared to FO3 and FO4.

I don't know if it's exactly 4 times bigger - but it sounds about right, and probably even bigger now.

Beyond that, it has 6 distinct biomes - as a first for any Fallout game.

Let's just say I've never played a DLC or an expansion that even remotely compared to FO76 in terms of sheer content.
    Kyleran
    Xodic said:
    DKLond said:
    Xodic said:
    DKLond said:
    Xodic said:
    Nilden said:

Also, may I ask why?
    I don't "hate" anyone, I just don't think rewarding the dog for pissing on the rug is beneficial to me, or the dog. I suppose Bethesda's leadership is who I have a problem with. The constant things they pull in an attempt to fuck their fans as outlined in this video.

But Zenimax is the company that ultimately owns Bethesda - and they're responsible in the end, as they're in charge of what projects to fund, and they set the top guidelines in terms of what they will greenlight and finance.

Instead of a video, could you perhaps speak for yourself? I'm not interested in videos by other people - but your personal position, as you're the one I'm talking to.

What decisions by what people do you think constitute pissing on the rug? Are you absolutely certain that by not playing Fallout 76 - you're somehow communicating something to that person or those persons?

Of course, you're free to ignore my question - but I'm just interested in establishing your position.
    I'll have to refer you back to my comment of "No matter how much I'd want to try Fallout 76 and form my own opinion of the game I just can't bring myself to rewarding a company in which I despise."

We live in an informational world, we draw conclusions based on the abundance of information available to us. I'm not trying to convince anyone of my position. I do however think that if more people stood on principle instead of catering to their base desire we could change the downward spiral of the game industry. I have no illusion that me refusing to play Fallout 76 will accomplish that.

I'm not saying you're trying to convince anyone, I was merely curious about the strength and insight your position is based on.

To me, that's relevant when I need to take into account statements like:

I do however think that if more people stood on principle instead of catering to their base desire we could change the downward spiral of the game industry.

I find it interesting to understand what it takes for other people to make serious moralistic judgment calls like that.

It tells me a lot about their personality and the degree to which they should be considered valuable as contributors.

IselinKyleran
  • G3NexiG3Nexi Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    How does the multiplayer work with FO76 and these new NPC quests?

If me and 3 friends are playing in my game doing quests, and then they leave to go play on their onw, will they keep their progression? If I join them and they are further ahead on quests or they join me while they are further ahead what happens?
    NPC quests are mostly instanced and they're shared between team members.

Of course your friends will keep their progress - but you have to stay together in terms of quest stages to progress together, like in all other MMOs.
    Kyleran
    DKLond said:
    Xodic said:
    DKLond said:
    Xodic said:
    DKLond said:
    Xodic said:
    Nilden said:

Also, may I ask why?

I'll have to refer you back to my comment of "No matter how much I'd want to try Fallout 76 and form my own opinion of the game I just can't bring myself to rewarding a company in which I despise."

We live in an informational world, we draw conclusions based on the abundance of information available to us. I'm not trying to convince anyone of my position. I do however think that if more people stood on principle instead of catering to their base desire we could change the downward spiral of the game industry. I have no illusion that me refusing to play Fallout 76 will accomplish that.

I'm not saying you're trying to convince anyone, I was merely curious about the strength and insight your position is based on.

I do however think that if more people stood on principle instead of catering to their base desire we could change the downward spiral of the game industry.

I find it interesting to understand what it takes for other people to make serious moralistic judgment calls like that.

It tells me a lot about their personality and the degree to which they should be considered valuable as contributors.

It's actually pretty ironic that you call that being judgmental when you're so obviously trying to pick a fight in your passive aggressive way with anyone who doesn't share your love for the game.

You're the one doing most of the judging of others here as far as I can see.
    mklinicGdemamiTacticalZombeh[Deleted User]

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Xodic said:
    DKLond said:

I see.

Well, first and foremost I'd like to make it clear that I despise micro transactions in general. I especially despise micro transactions when a company takes a freely modifiable single player game such as Fallout 4 that has already been released for years and adds micro transactions, and then tries to sell the idea to their irate fans. Even worse is the idea that they would venture into a live service asset flip of that game in the guise of delivering Fallout 3 and 4 fans something they've always wanted (multi player) just to justify having micro transactions. 76 is essentially a solution to not having full control of the modifiable content in Fallout 4, more so than it is a solution to multi player.

I also find the pricing to be ridiculous. Currently it's $40 to download the cash shop that comes bundled with a game, which is Fallout 76. It's then an additional $60 for theme packs, $13 for subscription, and then an unlimited amount of money in micro transactions. You may be able to justify it, I'm not saying it doesn't have any value, but to me it's absurd. They said the cash shop was going to be cosmetics only, of course that has turned out to be false. There's no reason to think that going forward it won't get worse. I mean these are the same people who tried to charge us for existing mods in Fallout 4.

That's my personal opinion. Everything else I have to say about Bethesda is derived from sources. If you watched the video I posted, then you understand the sort of shady shit that I can't get behind. It all accumulates to me believing that Bethesda is only interested in applying minimal effort for maximum profit. It may work great for them as long as they retain a customer base, It just doesn't work for me. It doesn't benefit me as a player at all. Their profits are only important to me to the extent that they're able to continue developing games, but I'm not overly interested in the games they produce with that philosophy anyway.

So when I say that “if more people stood on principle”, I'm not making a moralistic judgment, I'm simply stating the inevitable consequences of allowing something to happen. It seems like every year now developers are pushing the envelope, and the practice is defended until it becomes the new normal. I'm not criticizing anyone's convictions, hell I'm just as guilty as anyone. The truth is though, unless you want to continue seeing heavily monetized unfinished games released by companies that actively look for ways to fuck their players, then you have to find out where your line is and standfast. For me, it's right here, with Bethesda, and I don't lose any sleep over it.

No, I understand nothing about your position by watching a video made by other people.

As for your displeasure with microtransactions, that's cool - but it doesn't correlate with a rational point of view as far as I'm concerned.

Microtransactions can be anything - and they can be handled in a million different ways.

Some are good, some are bad. Hating them on principle is irrational, but I understand.

Confusing that hatred with some kind of justification to believe oneself capable of evaluating the motivation of a developer that's trying to do something different is a whole new level of irrationality, but that's ok.

Apparently, you think running an online infrastructure for thousands or potentially millions of players is the same as releasing a singleplayer game that requires no infrastructure of any kind.

Personally, I look at what I get out of a game and then I contrast it with the investment I made. That's how I determine if I think it's been worth the price.

Money isn't the biggest thing for me, but I have to take it into consideration, since I don't have an infinite amount.

So far, I've gotten 200+ hours of entertainment out of Fallout 76. I have spent 0 dollars on microtransactions and I've been tempted 0 times to spend money on it - because everything is either cosmetic or super trivial convenience that's easy to get in-game.

But that's based on actual experience with the actual game.

I think I paid around 30 dollars for the game.

So, that's around 6.5 hours of entertainment pr. dollar.

What you're saying is that I'm catering to "my base" by paying 1 dollar pr. 6.5 hours of entertainment - which doesn't quite compute for me.

As for your posted video, I have no use for it. I want to know your opinion - not other opinions.

If you're unable to articulate it for yourself, it only enforces the weakness of it.

Anyway, I think I know what I need to know about you and how you judge other people.
    Gdemami
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    I stopped playing a few weeks after release at lvl 25 and re-started the game 2 weeks ago.

While there are still bugs I enjoy the game. Much more now with Wastelanders.

As for costs....
    ~40€ for the game at release
    0 € for Microtransactions
    0 € for FalloutFirst because I dont need my own server
    ~3000 Atoms just by playing
    Kyleran

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon