Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pantheon/Visionary Realms bi-weekly videos

124»

Comments

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556
    edited March 2020
    Videos in the past two weeks. 

Update on the new Race Models. 

This one is an interview with Lead Artist Jimmy Lane. 

This one is an interview with Chris Perkins. Talks about the Bard, and how the new ability bars will look like. 

Post edited by Kumapon on
    Amathe
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Oh yeah these zones are so ugly and unfinished. Like, coe level of bad. The game definitely isn’t started yet. 
    Kumapon
  • TanistTanist Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Oh yeah these zones are so ugly and unfinished. Like, coe level of bad. The game definitely isn’t started yet. 

I never complained about the looks being ugly, rather they seem to spend an enormous amount of time trying to make the game look AAA while being in development for as long as they have.

Also, I don't see a lot of new content being shown, granted that doesn't mean anything, but again... 6+ years... still in pre-alpha.

The game doesn't seem that it will have anywhere near the level of content EQ had at release. Sure, it could all be a big secret, that in the course of 1 more year, they will shoot into alpha, beta, and then release by next year? Not likely.

More likely, we are at 3 years more before they release, minimum. Likely more, unless that is they are going release very content light.. or... rush the testing phases to push it out.

• TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    I really liked the look of the graphics in streams from years ago.  Anyone who is concerned that it looks ugly at this point should be playing something else.  This isn't for you.  The graphics mean little in this type of game.
  • SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    TwoTubes said:
    I really liked the look of the graphics in streams from years ago.  Anyone who is concerned that it looks ugly at this point should be playing something else.  This isn't for you.  The graphics mean little in this type of game.
    A lot of old school players say graphics don't matter.  But it does matter.  I mean it doesn't need to be bleeding edge high fidelity 4K graphics but it has to be reasonably decent.

Currently, the environments, character models and animations fall very short of what would be called decent.  Of course the game isn't even in alpha yet but to summarily reject good graphics is short sided, I think.
    Mendel
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    TwoTubes said:
    A lot of old school players say graphics don't matter.  But it does matter.  I mean it doesn't need to be bleeding edge high fidelity 4K graphics but it has to be reasonably decent.

Currently, the environments, character models and animations fall very short of what would be called decent.  Of course the game isn't even in alpha yet but to summarily reject good graphics is short sided, I think.
    I disagree with both,

Old school players don't care much about graphics because they know how deep and rich content COULD BE and like resources to go into that area.... They would much rather the money spent on that first.

Graphics of Pantheon ?........ I often say not good, but to be fair.  It's more bad animation.  In other words, if everything were to stand still and looked at, the game would look GREAT.... Once things start moving it's all down hill from their. 
    mmolou
  • SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    TwoTubes said:

I disagree with both,

Old school players don't care much about graphics because they know how deep and rich content COULD BE and like resources to go into that area.... They would much rather the money spent on that first.

Graphics of Pantheon ?........ I often say not good, but to be fair.  It's more bad animation.  In other words, if everything were to stand still and looked at, the game would look GREAT.... Once things start moving it's all down hill from their. 
    So are you saying if Pantheon launched today (assuming the gameplay is complete), you'd be okay with how it looks?

I don't see how that would make the game successful.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well i am old school,very old school,i don't care about graphics per say but i kind of do also.I just need graphics to look realistic and not cartoony.I don't need shaders/lighting effects so much but i do admit when i first played EQ2 the armor looked real nice.

Even still,the best graphics in the world won't save a game,not even remotely.Example BDO was praised for graphics,i detest that game,horrible design.

With Pantheon,i need something different,i cannot and will not play it simply because it tries to pay homage to EQ1 or EQ2 or VG.i have played all of the mmorpg designs,i choose FFXI as my fave,so to get me on board with a different game it has to be real good and real deep.

My opinion is that the ONLY idea driving the mmorpg market right now and this includes Wow is LOOT grinding.The games themselves could not stand on their own two feet without the loot,the carrot on a stick.So if Pantheon wants to simply make money,go ahead make a loot grinder,if they want to make a great game,good luck,i hope they can do it.The LOOT should be an added layer and not THE GAME.
    GraySeal

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    If I liked the current gameplay/skills and such in UO, I could play it in it's original form with no problems, or even a new game in 2D like it.  Doesn't mean I don't appreciate something that looks good and runs good, just means if I really like how a game is set up and plays, it will not stop me from playing it.  Animations need work in Pantheon, but character polish and animations are usually one of the last things they really polish in about every mmo I have played.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I think Pantheon looks fine tbh, I think its the least of its problems right now.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AmathekitaradMendelKyleranChildoftheShadows
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

TwoTubes said:

I disagree with both,

So are you saying if Pantheon launched today (assuming the gameplay is complete), you'd be okay with how it looks?

I don't see how that would make the game successful.
    Funny your asking me after my response, but here's my answer anyway.

I would wait several days,
    I was not on the internet during first generation games, But Old school graphics are fine with me. I'm very concerned with the coding style (and animation) and think their would be a LOT of bugs.

Infact I got tricked by an April fools joke, where the guy said it went live that morning and millions were logged in and release went nice...... That alone should set off alarm bells that the YouTube was fake.... It will not release well.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    lahnmir said:
    I think Pantheon looks fine tbh, I think its the least of its problems right now.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I'm still concerned that Pantheon and other games pursuing that "old school" feeling are going to struggle to get enough consistent players to be self-sustaining.  These games may run into the same wall that drove players away in the first place.  To me, that's a bigger hurdle than any graphics issues.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

I'm still concerned that Pantheon and other games pursuing that "old school" feeling are going to struggle to get enough consistent players to be self-sustaining.  These games may run into the same wall that drove players away in the first place.  To me, that's a bigger hurdle than any graphics issues.

What wall was that ?..... They simply stopped making old school.

Don't remember any wall.
    SheawannaAncient_Exile
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556
    edited May 2020
    Visionary Realms has decided to go back to a monthly stream. Apparently bi-weekly was too much for them. 

So the stream for the month of April was posted the other day. They talked about the new UI, coin weight, AI, and campfires. 

AmatheBabuinixMikeha
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Info is always appreciated.

But I miss words. It would be great if they would post something that reads we are doing x with encumberance, y with coins, and z with campfires. Not everything needs a video, especially not a long video.
    Ancient_ExileKyleranRaidan_EQ

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests