Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best thing so far about Shadowlands

DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
Early look at the new achievements in Shadowlands including a change to the allied race requirements to no longer required exalted with the related reputation.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=311898/shadowlands-alpha-achievements-allied-race-requirements-no-longer-require-exalte

Tokken

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    Definitely a good change, I agree.

That said, for me, the best change would be making the entire world relevant for most of the game again.

Beyond that, the class changes look decent - except I'm still pissed about being forced into daggers for Subtlety Rogue - and I miss my hemorrhage!
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    DKLond said:

That said, for me, the best change would be making the entire world relevant for most of the game again.

That's a huge ask for a game that has been growing since 2004. Any MMORPG been able to keep the entire world relevant?
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    edited April 2020
    Viper482 said:
    DKLond said:

That's a huge ask for a game that has been growing since 2004. Any MMORPG been able to keep the entire world relevant?
    ESO and GW2 come to mind.

It's not really about the size of the world, but about the approach to levels and scaling.

If you design it in the right way, you don't really have to do much for the individual zones.

Of course, I would prefer it if Bliz went back and added world bosses and world quests to all the zones - so they felt even more relevant. While they were at it, I'd also love for them to do full voice overs for the quests - and streamline the presentation a bit.

That's not an "ask" - just something I would love.

Let's not pretend they don't have the resources, though :)
    edited April 2020
    DKLond said:
    Viper482 said:
    DKLond said:

It's not really about the size of the world, but about the approach to levels and scaling.

If you design it in the right way, you don't really have to do much for the individual zones.

Of course, I would prefer it if Bliz went back and added world bosses and world quests to all the zones - so they felt even more relevant. While they were at it, I'd also love for them to do full voice overs for the quests - and streamline the presentation a bit.

Disagree on GW2 and ESO....though I somehow knew someone would say those lol. I would argue level scaling makes the entire world irrelevant more than relevant. Not a fan of it.
    mmolouk61977AmarantharTokkenNyghthowlermadazz
    edited April 2020
    Viper482 said:
    DKLond said:
    Viper482 said:
    DKLond said:

I would argue level scaling makes the entire world irrelevant. 
    Cool. Personally, I feel the worlds of both ESO and GW2 remain relevant throughout.

Arguments don't really mean much against my feelings and the reality of the games I'm playing :)

But such things are subjective, of course.
    DKLond said:
    Viper482 said:
    DKLond said:
    Viper482 said:
    DKLond said:

Cool. Personally, I feel the worlds of both ESO and GW2 remain relevant throughout.

Arguments don't really mean much against my feelings and the reality of the games I'm playing :)

Refreshing. But this is not an argument...just a discussion.

You do know WoW did some level scaling right? https://www.pcgamer.com/world-of-warcrafts-new-level-scaling-is-fun-but-only-if-you-love-nostalgia/
    Viper482 said:
    DKLond said:
    Viper482 said:
    DKLond said:
    Viper482 said:
    DKLond said:

You do know WoW did some level scaling right? https://www.pcgamer.com/world-of-warcrafts-new-level-scaling-is-fun-but-only-if-you-love-nostalgia/
    As far as I'm concerned, it's just an exchange of opinions.

Yes, I know they did some level scaling - but they're doing more in Shadowlands.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I tried out the scaling in WoW and initially I liked it and then it became just tedious. I decided the way WoW did it wasn't how I liked it but I am not entirely sure I might just dislike scaling in the end. I didn't like in GW 2 either. Haven't tried ESO since they introduced it as I played the game very early in its inception.

edited April 2020
    Both ESO and GW2 scale in ways with downsides. ESO is better, though - because you're not cut off from high level areas unlike GW2.

Which is much more in line with the TES series as well.

Of course, scaling in that way works against the concept of levels - which is why I think both games are sort of confused in terms of design.

Personally, I would do away with levelling altogether in such a design - and I would emphasize the arsenal horizon of skills and gear upgrades over the artificial incremental level increases.

Key is to make people feel like they get more powerful, but in such a way that the world doesn't stop being relevant when they're at their peak.

botrytisAmaranthar
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Viper482 said:
    DKLond said:

Uncharted Waters Online has.  Guild Wars 1 has, too, though some people insist that it's not a real MMORPG.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Viper482 said:
    DKLond said:
    Viper482 said:
    DKLond said:
    Viper482 said:
    DKLond said:

WoW level scaling is what deprecates most of the game, as it scales nearly everything to be far too weak for you.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    How is the whole world constantly relevant in ESO?  Once you finsh the quests and kill the world bosses there, the is little reason to go back to the zone.  
    edited April 2020
    Horusra said:
    How is the whole world constantly relevant in ESO?  Once you finsh the quests and kill the world bosses there, the is little reason to go back to the zone.  
    Because everything scales in the same way to your level.

Meaning, even after finishing quests and killing all the world bosses - you can revisit and kill the same world bosses for XP, items and gold. Same goes for the normal mobs, delves and the dynamic events.

Beyond that, in the traditional MMO (including WoW) - once you level past a particular zone - you won't be able to progress or gain anything from quests, even if you never visited the zone before.

That means you will miss out on roughly half the available zones, because there's nothing there for you to gain from after you've outleveled the zones in question.

In ESO - you can visit any zone in any order, even if you exclusively find things like quests and first-time kills relevant. Meaning, the entire world is relevant for any character - unlike the traditional level-based MMO.

Same goes for ESO dungeons - which are also located in the zones, where you can keep doing them for significant rewards.

Finally, there are daily quests in every zone that you can keep doing and gain significant rewards.

The whole point of this scaling mechanic is to make the entire world relevant indefinitely - and to make it trivially easy to find people to play with at any given time, since there's no problem with level differences.

That doesn't mean you necessarily want to explore the same zone a million times, but it means you can actually progress by doing so - if you happen to enjoy that particular zone. Also, it means you can join other players who haven't experienced a particular zone or dungeon at any level - even if you've already done everything there and STILL gain significant rewards.

Relevant doesn't mean ideal or fresh. It just means relevant.
    Amaranthar
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Viper482 said:
    DKLond said:
    Viper482 said:
    DKLond said:

Disagree on GW2 and ESO....though I somehow knew someone would say those lol. I would argue level scaling makes the entire world irrelevant more than relevant. Not a fan of it.

I hate level scaling myself.  It removes the feeling of getting stronger as you progress through the areas.  One of the worse things they ever did in WoW was that. 

Same goes for ESO.  Until you reach cap an have the champion levels the level scaling sucks.

I personally enjoy being able to go back to those areas that were hard an killing me over an over an beating the snot out of them to release some stress later down the road after I get a few levels higher than the zone.

The best way to make the older content relevant would be to add world quest, once max level, everywhere.  Just have them give rep for the factions of that zone so people can eventually max out rep with groups they skipped by.  Don't make them required or force people to feel like they have to do them to get that emissary type cache which has the max level gear upgrades, but leave them as a choice.  Hell most world quest are already just replaying the original quest but with a different spin on them.
    Tuor7
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    best thing from shadowlands is it makes me remember anarchy online back in the days
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    edited April 2020
    Well, in ESO you actually do grow in power by expanding your arsenal of skills as you level up.

The individual skills might not gain much bigger numbers if you maintain gear levels - but you will be able to combine multiple skills with those numbers, which is obviously a huge jump in power.

So, until you have all 12 active skills morphed and on your hotbar - and until you have all the dozens of passive skills maxed out - you will be growing in power, which is definitely not before you approach max level.

That said, I agree level scaling isn't ideal in ESO - or in any other game I've played.

Having world quests in all zones at end-game is cool, but it won't change the problem of outleveling zones - which is a pretty big no-no in a TES type of game.

All the TES games center around having freeform exploration where you can go anywhere at any time. That doesn't mean you can beat all enemies at level 1 - but you can usually find a way to avoid conflict or you can focus on certain skills that will enable victory very quickly in the game.

Again, I would do away with levels altogether in such a formula - because levels get people too attached to that arbitrary measurement of power.

In ESO, you WILL get your ass handed to you by champion mobs or world bosses before you reach the Champion Points stage.

You can get powerful enough later on, and then go back and solo most of the bosses and the tougher mobs.

So, there is actually the sensation of going back and kicking ass - it's just less pronounced.
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    DKLond said:
    Horusra said:

Meaning, even after finishing quests and killing all the world bosses - you can revisit and kill the same world bosses for XP, items and gold. Same goes for the normal mobs, delves and the dynamic events.

Beyond that, in the traditional MMO (including WoW) - once you level past a particular zone - you won't be able to progress or gain anything from quests, even if you never visited the zone before.

That means you will miss out on roughly half the available zones, because there's nothing there for you to gain from after you've outleveled the zones in question.

In ESO - you can visit any zone in any order, even if you exclusively find things like quests and first-time kills relevant. Meaning, the entire world is relevant for any character - unlike the traditional level-based MMO.

Same goes for ESO dungeons - which are also located in the zones, where you can keep doing them for significant rewards.

Finally, there are daily quests in every zone that you can keep doing and gain significant rewards.

The whole point of this scaling mechanic is to make the entire world relevant indefinitely - and to make it trivially easy to find people to play with at any given time, since there's no problem with level differences.

That doesn't mean you necessarily want to explore the same zone a million times, but it means you can actually progress by doing so - if you happen to enjoy that particular zone. Also, it means you can join other players who haven't experienced a particular zone or dungeon at any level - even if you've already done everything there and STILL gain significant rewards.

What's the difference from always being Level 1, with total and perfect horizontal progression?
    (i.e. added abilities that don't make you any stronger)

Once upon a time....

DKLond said:
    Horusra said:

What's the difference from always being Level 1, with total and perfect horizontal progression?
    I'm not sure what you're asking, could you rephrase that?

I don't remember mentioning always being level 1 or "total and perfect" horizontal progression.

I'm not talking about exclusively or rigid horizontal progression.
    edited April 2020
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    Horusra said:

I don't remember mentioning always being level 1 or "total and perfect" horizontal progression.

It seems to me that you are always at the same place in these games as far as relevance to the content. 
    In other words, you fight a level one Rat, or you fight a level 60 Dragon, no difference except for whatever new buttons you push. 
    Is that the case? 

Edit to add: No matter what level you are. 

Once upon a time....

edited April 2020
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    Horusra said:

It seems to me that you are always at the same place in these games as far as relevance to the content. 
    In other words, you fight a level one Rat, or you fight a level 60 Dragon, no difference except for whatever new buttons you push. 
    Is that the case? 
    No, it's not. Mobs don't have a level - only players do.

That's actually the reason I want to get rid of levels - because ESO doesn't really do power through levels, it does power through skill points and champion points.

Also, you can focus your skill gains exclusively on damage - and see the biggest jump in power earlier on - or you can spread them out and see a more steady gain in power.

People think that because they do 100 damage with a Sword at level 1 and, say, 150 damage with a Sword at level 50 - nothing much has changed.

The thing is, though, that they can do 150 damage in 12 different ways - many of which compliment each other at max level. Probably something like 2-3 times the damage at max level at least, and that's without champion points.

So, the jump in power is huge - even though the number itself doesn't grow that much.

A level 1 Yellow Sword deals the same amount of damage as a level 50 160 CP Yellow Sword - all other things being equal.

That's where most people get confused about their power.

Which is understandable - because the game does a terrible job at communicating your gains in power.
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    Horusra said:

Is that the case? 
    No, it's not.

That's actually the reason I want to get rid of levels - because ESO doesn't really do power through levels, it does power through skill points and champion points.

Also, you can focus your skill gains exclusively on damage - and see the biggest jump in power earlier on - or you can spread them out and see a more steady gain in power.

People think that because they do 100 damage with a Sword at level 1 and, say, 150 damage with a Sword at level 50 - nothing much has changed.

The thing is, though, that they can do 150 damage in 12 different ways - many of which compliment each other at max level. Probably something like 2-3 times the damage at max level at least, and that's without champion points.

So, the jump in power is huge - even though the number itself doesn't grow that much.

A level 1 Yellow Sword deals the same amount of damage as a level 50 160 CP Yellow Sword - all other things being equal.

Which is understandable - because the game does a terrible job at communicating your gains in power.
    First...

"A level 1 Yellow Sword deals the same amount of damage as a level 50 160 CP Yellow Sword - all other things being equal."

I don't see a difference in power there.

Second...

"The thing is, though, that they can do 150 damage in 12 different ways - many of which compliment each other at max level."

How's that boost Power? Is it about 12 ways to find weaknesses of the MOBs? 

Once upon a time....

edited April 2020
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    Horusra said:

Is that the case? 
    No, it's not.

First...

"A level 1 Yellow Sword deals the same amount of damage as a level 50 160 CP Yellow Sword - all other things being equal."

Second...

"The thing is, though, that they can do 150 damage in 12 different ways - many of which compliment each other at max level."

There's no difference in gear power, but in player power.

Do you understand the concept of combined damage output?

In ESO - like most MMOs - you have instant damage, damage over time, buffs, debuffs, and so on.

Let's say you have a character with 1 skill that does 150 damage (arbitrary number) instantly.

Then you have a character with 3 skills - one that does 150 damage instantly, one that does 150 damage over a period of time, and one that makes the enemy take 150 extra damage from attacks.

If you use all three skills - you've effectively doubled or even tripled your damage output (assuming you can use all three skills simultaneously - which you can't but it's close).

That's the boost in power.

Add the passive skills and skill morphs on top - and you have a very, very significant jump in power from a level 1 character with one skill that's unmorphed - and a level 50 character with 12 morphed skills and dozens of passive skills.

Then comes the champion points - but that's a separate power track.

ESO confuses people who don't really think about these things, because they just look at the one number floating above the enemy - and they don't understand why it's not 50 times higher at level 50.

Which is a part of the problem with having levels in a game that doesn't actually need them for anything.
    edited April 2020
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    Horusra said:

Is that the case? 
    No, it's not.

First...

Second...

In ESO - like most MMOs - you have instant damage, damage over time, buffs, debuffs, and so on.

Let's say you have a character with 1 skill that does 150 damage (arbitrary number) instantly.

Then you have a character with 3 skills - one that does 150 damage instantly, one that does 150 damage over a period of time, and one that makes the enemy take 150 extra damage from attacks.

If you use all three skills - you've effectively doubled or even tripled your damage output (assuming you can use all three skills simultaneously - which you can't but it's close).

Add the passive skills and skill morphs on top - and you have a very, very significant jump in power from a level 1 character with one skill that's unmorphed - and a level 50 character with 12 morphed skills and dozens of passive skills.

ESO confuses people who don't really think about these things, because they just look at the one number floating above the enemy - and they don't understand why it's not 50 times higher at level 50.

Which is a part of the problem with having levels in a game that doesn't actually need them for anything.
    Ok, so what happens when that powerful character goes to a low level dungeon? 
    Does he lose those abilities? Or does he wail like in any other game?

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, just trying to understand how this works. And if it actually works as scaling. 

Edit to add:
    I agree on your point about the levels, btw. 
    Secondly, this is Horizontal Progression, it appears. 
    Horizontal = sideways
    Progression = advancement
    Combined, that's what this sounds like. 
    Disguised to look like the big numbers gamers expect. 

Once upon a time....

edited April 2020
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    DKLond said:
    Horusra said:

Is that the case? 
    No, it's not.

First...

Second...

Ok, so what happens when that powerful character goes to a low level dungeon? 
    Does he lose those abilities? Or does he wail like in any other game?

I'm not trying to be obtuse here, just trying to understand how this works. And if it actually works as scaling. 
    There is no low level dungeon. ALL content scales to level 50 160 CP - regardless of what level the player is.

The player doesn't actually increase in level when content scales - but the skills deal damage as if they were level 50 back before the scaling mechanic was added.

It's confusing, I know. One more reason to get rid of levels altogether.

Players lose nothing when the game scales.

That's why you can end up soloing certain dungeons at max level and max CP, which would be utterly impossible to do at level 1.
    edited April 2020
    I agree on your point about the levels, btw. 
    Secondly, this is Horizontal Progression, it appears. 
    Horizontal = sideways
    Progression = advancement
    Combined, that's what this sounds like. 
    Disguised to look like the big numbers gamers expect.

No, it's not horizontal progression - but it's what some people CALL horizontal progression.

As long as your combined damage or performance increases - that's vertical progression, no matter how you slice it.

True horizontal progression will not increase power in any way.

Which is why I dislike these terms.

Vertical or horizontal? Meaningless.

Either your performance is better or it's not.

The only true horizontal progression would be non-power related, like some utility or purely cosmetic enhancements.

Of course, that's just what I think of it.