Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who else is super hyped about this game?

Comments

• NSMetroidNSMetroid Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I played this in Alpha, and I wasn't impressed at all. I know there is still a lot I didn't get to experience when I played but it felt so empty.

As for the mechanics, and gameplay, not content wise for obvious reasons - from what I experienced; Any of you - if not all of you that are hyped - Are going to be let down.
    [Deleted User]

-Metty

• ayndreayndre Member UncommonPosts: 10
    NSMetroid said:
    I played this in Alpha, and I wasn't impressed at all. I know there is still a lot I didn't get to experience when I played but it felt so empty.

As for the mechanics, and gameplay, not content wise for obvious reasons - from what I experienced; Any of you - if not all of you that are hyped - Are going to be let down.

Is the combat as dry and clunky as Conan Exiles?
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I'm 57. I get super hyped about being regular. That's about it. Certainly not this game, though I may try it. 
    bcbully

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited April 2020

Have to admit, I was pissed off about all of this, ESO and GW2 PVP sucks, it's blob zerg nonsense and this had a lot of hope. 

Luckily, Last Oasis came into early access and it's AWESOME for PVP. 
    Hate to break it to you but Last Oasis is all about blob zerg nonsense and has very little content compared to the 2 games you mentioned, and after the LO blob zerg runs over you your stuff is gone unlike ESO & GW2.

Darkfall is open world ffa pvp but at least has alot of content and also consequences for just running around murdering people way more consequences than LO has.

YashaX
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The bigger issue over pve and/or pvp and how it is handled is the fact that as it stands the game is just boring. It looks good and runs well but currently it is just a boring game. 
    Obviously that is just my opinion. 
    Are you in the current alpha?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Iselin said:
    The bigger issue over pve and/or pvp and how it is handled is the fact that as it stands the game is just boring. It looks good and runs well but currently it is just a boring game. 
    Obviously that is just my opinion. 
    Are you in the current alpha?
    Yeah been in the testing for a year and am running the current testing through Steam. 
    (the previous testing was through it's own launcher)  
    Well that's too bad about the boring part then since this is on my radar as a maybe. I've been waiting for the NDA drop to see videos about the current version of the game play but I wasn't about to pre-order either.

I was hoping the NPC invasions would be fun because if a game does that as well as Rift did it a decade ago it could be compelling enough. I'm actually pretty tired of the small group instanced PvE formula these days so its absence here wasn't a red flag for me... as long as they have something else that's as good or better.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Cybersig211Cybersig211 Member UncommonPosts: 173
    No longer hyped.

Their original vision, the guild based conquest with open world full loot pvp....that equation keeps crafters as vital, economy rolling as people farm for gear they lose, and the guild based aspect forms solid communities.  Its a wonderful equation thats unfortunately only explored by companies barely capable of getting the game launched, which is why this game, funded by amazon, really got me excited....FINALLY a game like this tackled by what would be a AAA tier development studio with unlimited funds

oh...what could have been.

Now...now dont get me wrong, a PVE centric game done by the same studio is FINE.... id play it....but problems arise.  Buy to play with a cash shop....so why would i farm a raid? The cool looking stuff i can buy, probably mounts too...really sucks the air out of getting that via pve...

Also....they need to compete with a game with a serious background in lore based off great IP (ESO/FFXIV) and a game with enough content to drown you for a decade (WOW)

What is amazon going to do with new world to pull devoted players out of those games after 3 months of launch when all their pve content is done and conquered...

after 3 months when the top skilled 10v10 guilds own everything and no one else need participate in conquest?  

after 3 months when they wont possibly be able to get new raids and dungeons to a polished state and released....and pvp gets stale...whats their hook?

Under their original vision, 3 months in guilds are still fighting, top skilled players vs zerg guilds, politics, emotions run high as people get ganked, back stabbing in alliances meant to hold territory vs superior skilled players....thats what months 3 looks like under the old verson.

But sadly the old version scares people who dont understand how it all works...which is probably why they scrapped it.

Either way, the new vision for new world is going to need a hell of a lot more than a corona virus excuse 6 month crunch time to beta....if it intends to not lose money until their first xpac can fix things.

granted amazon has the money to keep failing until it succeeds...much like FFXIV did.
    bcbully
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    No longer hyped.

Their original vision, the guild based conquest with open world full loot pvp....that equation keeps crafters as vital, economy rolling as people farm for gear they lose, and the guild based aspect forms solid communities.  Its a wonderful equation thats unfortunately only explored by companies barely capable of getting the game launched, which is why this game, funded by amazon, really got me excited....FINALLY a game like this tackled by what would be a AAA tier development studio with unlimited funds

Now...now dont get me wrong, a PVE centric game done by the same studio is FINE.... id play it....but problems arise.  Buy to play with a cash shop....so why would i farm a raid? The cool looking stuff i can buy, probably mounts too...really sucks the air out of getting that via pve...

Also....they need to compete with a game with a serious background in lore based off great IP (ESO/FFXIV) and a game with enough content to drown you for a decade (WOW)

What is amazon going to do with new world to pull devoted players out of those games after 3 months of launch when all their pve content is done and conquered...

after 3 months when the top skilled 10v10 guilds own everything and no one else need participate in conquest?  

after 3 months when they wont possibly be able to get new raids and dungeons to a polished state and released....and pvp gets stale...whats their hook?

Under their original vision, 3 months in guilds are still fighting, top skilled players vs zerg guilds, politics, emotions run high as people get ganked, back stabbing in alliances meant to hold territory vs superior skilled players....thats what months 3 looks like under the old verson.

But sadly the old version scares people who dont understand how it all works...which is probably why they scrapped it.

Either way, the new vision for new world is going to need a hell of a lot more than a corona virus excuse 6 month crunch time to beta....if it intends to not lose money until their first xpac can fix things.

granted amazon has the money to keep failing until it succeeds...much like FFXIV did.
    Well said my friend. /tipcap 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    No longer hyped.

I think you have an idealistic view of the end result of their "original vision". Past games and their own alpha test show that what really happens using this "wonderful equation" is that geared players gank and grief newbies and end up killing the game. 

However, the move to make pvp completely optional is also very weird. Its like someone who has no idea of how these games work is calling the shots - they have switched from one extreme to the other.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2020
    @last poster

No i think he get's it,he mentions that what happens after the 3 months of PVE are up,a large portion of the player base leaves.IMO it is sooner than that,their PVE will be very shallow.
    I would think it is obvious by now to most,this was always a simple boring pvp game with zones but needed a small added layer to incorporate a cash shop.

So what happened in a short time period is a LOT of backlash about the pvp side of the game and Amazon read that as a huge loss in income.So then they change their stance and add in a lazy PVE game to come back n say..no no our game caters to EVERYONE,like i am sure nobody has heard that sales pitch before lol.

This will not end with a small cash shop,this will grow exponentially and target the pvp side of the game to drive it.You think Amazon doesn't see Fortnite and Rockstar making multi millions off their cash shop?

IMO this will end up a laughing stock of a game,pve dries up in a month max,then "seasons passes" BR mode etc etc.After the first few days there will be no more sales or not enough to notice,so the only money they'll make off this moving forward is via the cash shop.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    YashaX said:
    No longer hyped.
    However, the move to make pvp completely optional is also very weird. Its like someone who has no idea of how these games work is calling the shots - they have switched from one extreme to the other.

Both extremes are very hard to handle.
    PvP: High risk of asshole ruining the fun for everyone *insert surprised pickachu meme here*
    PvE: Too much work to feed the locusts for a longer time.

The most fun I had and where I played most is when there is politics ongoing, but also in a way that you can be involved as lone wolf.

This could be done they way they are doing it, if there are reasons to participate in the faction war. I dont know enough about it to judge.

I would have rather seen unrestricted PvP against other factions and with harsh penalties against same faction. (outlaw status which needs ridiculous time to remove or lots of good work)

And instead of full loot that your backpack is lootable (with may safes inside the backpack to store 4-6 very valuable things) and you also keep what you are wearing on your body.

You would have to mark this loot by the system so that if it gets deleted by your looter within 1-2 hours it returns to you, because thats also some part of griefing in full loot games.

So full PvP but with some restrictions to make PvP meaningful and not a feature to destroy others gaming experience
    bcbullyYashaX

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 710
    edited April 2020
    After partaking in a 2nd round of alpha testing, I can honestly say I'm not surprised the release got pushed back.  They can say its related to covid 19 but by no means is it ready for a release next month.  Not - even - close.  I'd be surprised if it didn't get pushed back even further.  

It still needs a LOT more PvE related content.... a lot.  They've made strides from the first alpha but nothing significant unless they have internal clients that have much more.  For them to say it'll be a pve related game, it's not ready by any means.  
    cheyane
    YashaX said:
    No longer hyped.

Both extremes are very hard to handle.
    PvP: High risk of asshole ruining the fun for everyone *insert surprised pickachu meme here*
    PvE: Too much work to feed the locusts for a longer time.

The most fun I had and where I played most is when there is politics ongoing, but also in a way that you can be involved as lone wolf.

This could be done they way they are doing it, if there are reasons to participate in the faction war. I dont know enough about it to judge.

I would have rather seen unrestricted PvP against other factions and with harsh penalties against same faction. (outlaw status which needs ridiculous time to remove or lots of good work)

And instead of full loot that your backpack is lootable (with may safes inside the backpack to store 4-6 very valuable things) and you also keep what you are wearing on your body.

You would have to mark this loot by the system so that if it gets deleted by your looter within 1-2 hours it returns to you, because thats also some part of griefing in full loot games.

So full PvP but with some restrictions to make PvP meaningful and not a feature to destroy others gaming experience

Yep, my thoughts exactly. I think ESO did a reasonable take on this in the Imperial City PvP zone, which is basically a zone where you farm for a certain resource but if you get killed by an enemy player (or mob) you lose some of the resource you have farmed and the player that killed you gets some of the resource.

bcbully
  • TwitchTaranissTwitchTaraniss Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I know a lot of changes have happened but I am extremely excited about this game. I also think the way it launches and the way it will look a year after launch can be vastly different.
    Twitch - https://www.twitch.tv/taraniss

Legends - Heroes fade..Legends last Forever
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Two things will keep me away from this game: PVP and Amazon
    Tokken
    edited July 2020
    I know a lot of changes have happened but I am extremely excited about this game. I also think the way it launches and the way it will look a year after launch can be vastly different.
    I disagree.
    It will look vastly different within the guild towns but that will happen VERY quickly,imo within one month.
    Outside that confined space,the game imo is going to be very dull and often look fake/bad.Like right now from what i saw is the NODES standout from the rest of the world,they look FAKE.Sort of like putting a yellow marker over an npc head,it looks fake...bad.

I also see MANY flaws within the design that for the most part just favors SIZE.

This size matters might work financially ,it did for Eve but in reality it typically does NOT work and segregates the rest of the player base into a feeling of being not  important in the world.

There will be control choke points,large operations will control these.All of the small population will feel like they are just "hanging out".

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

remsleep said:

Whenever I hear someone say - how a year from launch the game could be much better - can we just call it what it is?

It's simply an excuse for a broken unfinished game at launch - why would anyone be extremely excited for that?

So lets do this - nobody buy it at launch - lets all jump in a year after when they've had time to actually make it good, how about that?

Amazon's track record so far has been bad enough to raise major red flags for everyone

Breakaway - touted as a huge thing, even the reveal had paid e-sports teams and announcers trying to make it into something huge - was a laughable disaster of an event  - game got cancelled

New World - was sold and touted as open world PvP - was developed as open world PvP game for years, then BOOM - umm guys just kidding - we are now a PvE game. Do you know how hard it is to do a 180 mid development and just change everything into PvE game? Yeah - it's messed up

Crucible - hey guys - we gonna do a competitive shooter - woops it sucks - hey lets pretended we never launched and pull it back into beta...

Is this the company that anyone should be excited about releasing a new game - that still has an NDA so close to launch? 

Sorry - but come on - nothing but a field of red flags 
    At no point did I say it would be better in a year. Most games after a year are very different then when they launched. This has nothing to do with better or worse. There will always be people who just want to have a negative attitude towards things. many games are worse in a year while some are better. The point is with most games it doesn't matter how long it was in alpha or beta or testing. Once it goes live new ideas arise and new issues as well. Changes comes to not allow it to become stale and the majority of those changes are in that first year. 

[Deleted User]

remsleep said:
    remsleep said:

Whenever I hear someone say - how a year from launch the game could be much better - can we just call it what it is?

It's simply an excuse for a broken unfinished game at launch - why would anyone be extremely excited for that?

So lets do this - nobody buy it at launch - lets all jump in a year after when they've had time to actually make it good, how about that?

Amazon's track record so far has been bad enough to raise major red flags for everyone

Breakaway - touted as a huge thing, even the reveal had paid e-sports teams and announcers trying to make it into something huge - was a laughable disaster of an event  - game got cancelled

New World - was sold and touted as open world PvP - was developed as open world PvP game for years, then BOOM - umm guys just kidding - we are now a PvE game. Do you know how hard it is to do a 180 mid development and just change everything into PvE game? Yeah - it's messed up

Crucible - hey guys - we gonna do a competitive shooter - woops it sucks - hey lets pretended we never launched and pull it back into beta...

Is this the company that anyone should be excited about releasing a new game - that still has an NDA so close to launch? 

Sorry - but come on - nothing but a field of red flags 
    At no point did I say it would be better in a year. Most games after a year are very different then when they launched. This has nothing to do with better or worse. There will always be people who just want to have a negative attitude towards things. many games are worse in a year while some are better. The point is with most games it doesn't matter how long it was in alpha or beta or testing. Once it goes live new ideas arise and new issues as well. Changes comes to not allow it to become stale and the majority of those changes are in that first year. 

Many games are worse in a year post launch, really? - while this happens occasionally - this is far from the norm.

Most games improve, add content and stabilize post launch and get better - this is normal and expected especially with mmorpgs. 

It doesn't matter for most games how long a game is in alpha or beta testing... like are you serious? Of course it matters, especially for MMOs and mmorpgs- if this really didn't matter - then there would be no point in alpha and beta testing at all

New World - considering that the current launch date is Aug 25th - is simply not even remotely ready - for a PvE focused MMO. 

Sorry I highly disagree. Most games die out within that first year. The numbers spike and playability is early. Especially with some of these smaller games and companies that can't keep up with the market and then end up going pay2 win. It is not far from the norm at all. Sorry it just isn't. 

It matters to an extent but most of the time if we are talking about the gameplay aspects. They change again in that first year. It has happened with numerous games/MMOS especially recently. 

We are aware of your opinion of it not being remotely ready. Unfortunately for you by repeating it over and over again it isn't changing anything. I have no control over that what so ever. From the sound of it we will not be seeing you in Aeternum. So you won't have to worry nor care about what the state of the game is in after 1 hour let alone 1 year.
    [Deleted User]

After seeing a recent gameplay video and reading more about how players can actively shape the power balance in the game through both pve and pvp activities, I can say that yes I am looking forward to it.

I'm not like over the moon, this is gonna be the best thing since sliced bread kind of hyped, but at the least it looks like an enjoyable diversion that holds the promise of being something really special.
    [Deleted User]
    edited July 2020
    I am curious how PLAYERS are going to shape the balance?

I know an entire guild can shape the balance but i do not see individual players as having any meaning at all but maybe i am missing something?

I am more than happy for someone to educate me on something that shows promise because so far i don't see it,instead i see this as a sort of an Eve online rpg style.

Having a GOAL to work towards  really only happens if you join a guild or however the terminology is structured.Your group/guild whatever work towards building structures within and you'll need a lot of players because in reality ,it will be a RACE.

I actually detest any design that encourages more RACING in games,i want gaming to be an enjoyable casual ride.It is a huge flaw to design a RACING game because in a very short time the goals are met and then it becomes a very shallow END GAME scenario.

You are going to see large towns with FULL...finished structures within one month already.So then what do all the optimists think becomes of the game after that short racing phase?Pvp 24/7?

Wizardry said:

I know an entire guild can shape the balance but i do not see individual players as having any meaning at all but maybe i am missing something?

A guild is made up of individual players and the whole game is based around guilds. However, from what I have read, even if you are not in a guild, you build the strength of your faction by doing pve and pvp quests.

Obviously one individual player is unlikely to have much of an impact, but just by playing the game you contribute to world change, which is different to most other mmos which have completely static worlds.
    YashaX said:
    Wizardry said:

A guild is made up of individual players and the whole game is based around guilds. However, from what I have read, even if you are not in a guild, you build the strength of your faction by doing pve and pvp quests.

Obviously one individual player is unlikely to have much of an impact, but just by playing the game you contribute to world change, which is different to most other mmos which have completely static worlds.
    What does "strength of your faction" do for you and others of that faction?

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    YashaX said:
    Wizardry said:

What does "strength of your faction" do for you and others of that faction?
    I don't know the details yet, but the new world site says:

As your Faction controls more Territories, your attacks against the creatures of Aeternum will be more effective, you will find higher quantities of resources when gathering, craft equipment at higher base qualities, and find yourself luckier when looting. The more Territories your faction controls, the more powerful you become.

So basically percentage bonuses to damage and gathering skills? I think eso used to have something similar when it started out.
    [Deleted User]