Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FF slot

Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
Probably more news-worthy than regular weekly sales in other games (*cough* GTA Online *cough*) and maybe it will reach the news section later - afterall it ain't even mentioned officially by Cryptic either yet...
(no tweet, no forum post, nothing. Probably due to different timezones)

Long story short, everyone can claim a FreeForm slot for free.
Considering it's $30 (when not on sale, but discounted price still used to be $20), and it practically makes the game b2p (since the biggest f2p restriction is the lack of FF), it's a really nice giveaway.

Hopefully the official announcement will state both the reason and also the timeframe (during the weekend, for a week, etc.), until then it's only certain that you can claim it right now - so, don't be late :)
rojoArcueidTokkenScorchien

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I used to like this game but it was never worth the sub for me and the free version always felt too bare bones. I might check this out, thanks.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    how does freeform work?  never heard of it.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Tokken said:

if i'm not mistaken you can choose any powers from any type freely, making a jack of all trades. Non-freeform can only be a specific archetype.
    Po_gg

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Tokken said:

if i'm not mistaken you can choose any powers from any type freely, making a jack of all trades. Non-freeform can only be a specific archetype.
    What rojo said, Freeform was mainly the difference between CoH and CO (I ain't saying this is why Cryptic moved away and made a new game though :) ), you can build your very own superhero by picking any power you like, from any powersets - with some limitations of course.

When the game switched to f2p, it was again the core difference, just now between sub and free: free players are restricted to use Archetypes, pre-built power selections, kinda like classes in other MMORPGs.

Subscribers could use both, either make their own heroes, or when didn't want to bother with it they could just take an AT for a spin - Archetypes are mostly decent, in some cases even good builds, if someone doesn't like the theory crafting and power building.

But with the removal of monthly subscription the easy access to Freeform was kinda lost, it's either lifetime subscription, or individual Freeform slot purchases for $30 each...

It's basically an extra character slot (with a background icon) and if you select it instead of a regular character slot (which only offers the ATs) you can select to create a Freeform character.
    After that you create the looks as usual, and start the game, since the difference is during gameplay.
    At certain levels you get a notification about you can learn a new power. On ATs it's defined by your archetype, but when your character is Freeform, you will have a list of powers to choose from.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited April 2020
    How do we claim it , im not seeing at charater select , where you can retrain..

Got it you have to claim it in game
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited April 2020
    Yep, ingame store, bonus tab (last one), you can claim it from there.
    (or from the featured tab in the front page)

Just noticed they finally made an official announcement, according to that the free slot will be available for a week.
    Scorchien
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Pretty nice bonus out of the blue for non-subscribers.