Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Agree, insightful, awesome, Lol, WTF, asking for more options.

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited April 2020 in Site Suggestions
Agree,insightful, awesome, Lol, WTF

Not sure people would agree but a few more options to express your feelings would be nice.

Big example would be "LoL".... Posters tend to use this for two reactions. 

LOL = Funny
LOL = Don't agree

What do you think ?

Unrelated:
The spell checker is the worst on the internet. if anyone know this it would be me !
- one letter off, it can't find the word, where all others it does. 
- I've copy and pasted entire post to fix all spelling ..... It's a matter of "lazy" that I still misspell many things here. 
Post edited by delete5230 on
Gdemamimmoloucameltosis[Deleted User]psychosiz1skeaserAtaaka

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Wtf should not be a +1 on points
    Po_ggChildoftheShadowscheyaneCaffynatedBrotherMaynard

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    LOL = Funny
    LOL = Don't agree

What do you think ?

I always thought LOL is "funny", and WTF is the "don't agree/bullshit/wtf".

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    A simple disagree would be fine and I don’t care how that one affected points. Just something to kindly say that I don’t agree. 
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Everyone looks at LOL differently :)

For instance in my case.  
    - LOL is both 
    - WTF is "post way out of hand", but it could be as simple as don't agree. 
    Also many nice people may feel it's not nice regardless and never use it.
    Kyleran
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I lobbied for a STFU button when we change formats years ago , i see it would still be useful..
    KyleranAmathe
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited April 2020
    Everyone looks at LOL differently :)

For instance in my case.  
    - LOL is both 
    - WTF is "post way out of hand", but it could be as simple as don't agree. 
    Also many nice people may feel it's not nice regardless and never use it.
    I would say most posters interpret and use the two similarly, reserving WTF for the most agregious posts.

There was quite a discussion with Bill back in the day over why a "disagree" button wasn't included, his thinking was the site preferred people create a post expressing why they disagreed and not just press a button.

The SBS forums had just an agree/disagree system which was a bit unsatisfying, at least to me as my posts started off with an automatic two or three dislikes, even when I would share totally positive news. 

I would have preferred @Scorchien 's STFU button.   :D
    Scorchien

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Not sure people would agree but a few more options to express your feelings would be nice.

LOL = Funny
    LOL = Don't agree

What do you think ?

Unrelated:
    The spell checker is the worst on the internet. if anyone know this it would be me !
    - I've copy and pasted entire post to fix all spelling ..... It's a matter of "lazy" that I still misspell many things here. 

"Site Suggestions" area is where this topic belongs.
    From "The Pub" description:
    "Use this forum to talk about MMORPGs. Please stay on the topic about MMORPGs and use the "off-topic" forum for unrelated posts."

===========================

There, their, and they're are all spelled correctly (as are many words used incorrectly here), so spell checker is no help. Learn English, maybe?
    Tuor7Kyleranskeaser

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

edited April 2020
    AlBQuirky said:

LOL = Funny
    LOL = Don't agree

What do you think ?

Unrelated:

"Use this forum to talk about MMORPGs. Please stay on the topic about MMORPGs and use the "off-topic" forum for unrelated posts."

There, their, and they're are all spelled correctly (as are many words used incorrectly here), so spell checker is no help. Learn English, maybe?
    Theirs an alternative, you can stick it :)

Party popper
    AlBQuirkyKyleran
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    How about a "this thread again" button?

Note: not pertaining to this particular thread, but it would be helpful for most of the OP's threads.
    AlBQuirky
    edited April 2020
    DMKano said:
    As noted above- my vote let posters post anonymous (username only visible to mods)

If switched to anon - all points, buttons etc... would be removed as an option.

That would be my preference 
    Ugh no, I love the fact this site makes people own up for their down votes, it would be even better if it gave their address as well. 

:D 
    AlBQuirky

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

AlBQuirky said:

LOL = Funny
    LOL = Don't agree

What do you think ?

Unrelated:

Theirs an alternative, you can stick it :)

Party popper
    Keep being you....makes these forums more fun.   ;)
    AlBQuirky

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    If you are worried about the other reaction votes on your post you are doing it wrong.  Your only focus should be on posting in order to get Captain LOL to read it and click the LOL button.

Everything else is meaningless.
    KyleranAlBQuirky

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    edited April 2020
    My vote would go towards getting rid of the buttons and points altogether. 

Or at least make it so that you dont see the buttons clicked by the people on your ignore list. It would be great.
    This

If we can't have this WTF needs to go in my opinion and replace it with "Wrong!" or something else if we can't have disagree.

I wasn't in the forums for the discussion on the disagree button however I know on official game forums disagree was taken away because moderators felt like it led to abuse.  I think the WoW forums were one such forum.

Edit:  As an aside I wish we couldn’t see quotes from the posters we ignore.  Even if others users quote them.
    Post edited by Narug on
    Kyleran

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    We need a "Bruh" button.

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I feel my contributions to this thread would violate several rules.  I would like some "clear" choices when it comes to emoticons so there is no doubt what I am expressing.
    Huntrezzdelete5230Tuor7
    Xodic said:
    I have yet to award anyone a WTF, and some of the dumbest things I've read on the internet have spawned from this site. I don't think there's much sense in a disagree reaction either, because disagreeing without stating your disagreement has no place on a forum. I don't think it's beneficial to have anything but positive feedback reactions. If you think I'm wrong, use words, not buttons.
    You are wrong, and I used a button.
    AlBQuirky

• ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135

LOL = Funny
    LOL = Don't agree

What do you think ?

Unrelated:
    smh
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

Xodic said:

I don't think there's much sense in a disagree reaction either, because disagreeing without stating your disagreement has no place on a forum. I don't think it's beneficial to have anything but positive feedback reactions. If you think I'm wrong, use words, not buttons.
    In my opinion this may also come down as respect for the individual.

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 565
    edited April 2020
    Xodic said:
    I have yet to award anyone a WTF, and some of the dumbest things I've read on the internet have spawned from this site. I don't think there's much sense in a disagree reaction either, because disagreeing without stating your disagreement has no place on a forum. I don't think it's beneficial to have anything but positive feedback reactions. If you think I'm wrong, use words, not buttons.

You are approaching it from an idealist's perspective, where every poster on this forum is an erudite debater, coming here for a stimulating discussion with equally talented and well-meaning posters. Even if someone's post is wrong, it is always well argued and well-meaning, almost like a heated debate of two notable 19th century academics in a newspaper.

We all know that is not the case in internet discussions. You have posters who re-post the same garbage (perhaps slightly re-worded to make it a bit less obvious) over and over again, you have straight-up trolls, you have posters deliberately and maliciously spreading fake information, you have people simply gainsaying anything others post and you have a host of other tools with an agenda, an axe to grind or who simply are having a kick out of disrupting the debate.

Sure, you can spend time arguing your counter-point, but that will never work in these situations - especially not when you have to do it repeatedly - simply because you're not facing a misinformed, but ultimately well-meaning discussion partner.

Right now all negative reactions are dumped under the same WTF button, but I think the forum could use a bit more granularity. The buttons give a good quick overview of the post's contribution to the discussion.

Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Narug said:
    Xodic said:

I don't think there's much sense in a disagree reaction either, because disagreeing without stating your disagreement has no place on a forum. I don't think it's beneficial to have anything but positive feedback reactions. If you think I'm wrong, use words, not buttons.
    Well, everyone is doing it anyway by smashing the lol button.

As for me if I see something I'm 100% in disagreement I'll definitely LoL it... then also type.   
    edited April 2020
    Xodic said:

You are approaching it from an idealist's perspective, where every poster on this forum is an erudite debater, coming here for a stimulating discussion with equally talented and well-meaning posters. Even if someone's post is wrong, it is always well argued and well-meaning, almost like a heated debate of two notable 19th century academics in a newspaper.

We all know that is not the case in internet discussions. You have posters who re-post the same garbage (perhaps slightly re-worded to make it a bit less obvious) over and over again, you have straight-up trolls, you have posters deliberately and maliciously spreading fake information, you have people simply gainsaying anything others post and you have a host of other tools with an agenda, an axe to grind or who simply are having a kick out of disrupting the debate.

Sure, you can spend time arguing your counter-point, but that will never work in these situations - especially not when you have to do it repeatedly - simply because you're not facing a misinformed, but ultimately well-meaning discussion partner.

Right now all negative reactions are dumped under the same WTF button, but I think the forum could use a bit more granularity. The buttons give a good quick overview of the post's contribution to the discussion.

Its almost as if you don't understand the concept of forum PVP.... :D

Well placed emojis are a great tool as well.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Why is this even in the pub forums?
    AlBQuirkyTuor7Amathe
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    edited April 2020
    Narug said:
    Xodic said:

Well, everyone is doing it anyway by smashing the lol button.

As for me if I see something I'm 100% in disagreement I'll definitely LoL it... then also type.   
    I can respect that but this drive by loling & WTF without explanation is why I'm starting to just put some posters on ignore.

I'd advise anyone else irritated, may be too strong of a word, with this to do the same.

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

Viper482 said:
    Another missed opportunity for @Scorchien ‘s new button?   :)
    Scorchien

Viper482 said:
    I guess its not anything they moved it to suggestions and never answered !