Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are there any MMO's coming out as physical collector's editions in the future?

TakodanTakodan Member UncommonPosts: 161
To me, MMORPG's have been one of the most important genres in gaming, and i love collecting physical copies of the games i play. But since a few years back, most games seem to come out as digital only so is the day of physical collector's editions all but over?

Comments

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    DMKano said:
    Every company is moving away from physical editions - have been for a long time because of the huge cost - both in making physical boxes/manuals/media/etc... then  having to pay for whoever sells this for shelf space/inventory space etc...

Also dealing with retailer contracts - whatever doesn't sell in X amount of time has to be purchased back from retailers at full price.

Everything about the above is just a money loss - so unless you are a Diablo franchise or GTA or COD - physical copies are a HELL NO

Also the number of people that buy physical copies has shrunk down in a huge way over they years as masses have transitioned to digital only - aka Steam etc...

As to your question - maybe New World will be the next one to have a physical copy
    Sometimes companies will offer them as an extra while making a purchase as well and they make them in small batches for the amount that ordered them. But as it's usually a kickstarter / early access thing there's a very low chance you will actually get those.
  • xpsyncxpsync Member EpicPosts: 1,854
    edited April 2020
    I dunno, i think wow and eso still do that, F76 tried and turned out very bad for them.

So not entirely over but, far from common and or popular as they once were.

Personally i've thrown out so many collector editions over the years, do i really want to store or dust this gigantic f'ing age of conan box every week.

It was a thing at one time and it's not anymore, but some people out there still like them i guess as wow and the like wouldn't bother if there was no profit at all in it.
    My faith is my shield! - Turalyon 2022

Your legend ends here and now! - (Battles Won Long Ago)

Currently Playing; Dragonflight and SWG:L
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Two problems. There aren't many new mmos, and those that are coming out seem not to offer anything physical.

But, you can always find collector's editions for older games on e-bay.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Crowfall

Amathe

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited April 2020
    ESO's new expansion has a full blown physical copy with some really cool stuff.

https://www.ebgames.ca/PS4/Games/780403
    Amathe
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Gotta admit I'm a sucker for that stuff and those both look cool.

Loved my Ultima Online cloth map and Skyrim dragon statue. I'm a big fan of music and artwork, hardcover books, and collectables. In game rewards for buying the collector edition not so much...
    Takodan

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• TakodanTakodan Member UncommonPosts: 161
    Crowfall

Tried to get a hold of this one but couldn't. Had to settle with the "normal" version backing the game.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    My bad. Those two CEs you guys found look great. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests