Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My journey with CoE - and some thoughts about the lost money.

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Nilden said:
    The blame is all on Caspien and his family/friends/whoever was in on it. Period. 

Being naïve or gullible doesn’t make someone guilty. There is only one side to blame here. 
    I disagree.  Walsh certainly deserves the lion's share of the blame but there were plenty of folks that assisted him.   If you played the role of "useful idiot" and helped sucker other people into this then yeah, you own some of that.  

Yeah, I can understand how at first people might have been mislead, things looked somewhat plausible especially if one wasn't too knowledgeable on the past history of the genre. 

As time wore on though, as more and more evidence mounted up, as date after date came and went, with every single thing "released" from the web site through the SOE, there were those who, IMO, willfully ignored the facts to the point I had to believe they could not be that obtuse or ignorant, and were in some part promoting the "scam" in order to preserve their "investment"

They well understood if the backers lost faith and stopped spending the "dream" would come to a crashing end, so they kept saying everything is fine, when clearly it wasn't.  For those that did so, they clearly do share part of the blame for not helping kill this off much earlier. 

Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:
    The blame is all on Caspien and his family/friends/whoever was in on it. Period. 

Being naïve or gullible doesn’t make someone guilty. There is only one side to blame here. 
    I disagree.  Walsh certainly deserves the lion's share of the blame but there were plenty of folks that assisted him.   If you played the role of "useful idiot" and helped sucker other people into this then yeah, you own some of that.  

Yeah, I can understand how at first people might have been mislead, things looked somewhat plausible especially if one wasn't too knowledgeable on the past history of the genre. 

As time wore on though, as more and more evidence mounted up, as date after date came and went, with every single thing "released" from the web site through the SOE, there were those who, IMO, willfully ignored the facts to the point I had to believe they could not be that obtuse or ignorant, and were in some part promoting the "scam" in order to preserve their "investment"

They well understood if the backers lost faith and stopped spending the "dream" would come to a crashing end, so they kept saying everything is fine, when clearly it wasn't.  For those that did so, they clearly do share part of the blame for not helping kill this off much earlier. 

It was a silly point that no one but Caspien is to blame. They're not calling streamers and youtubers "influencers" these days for nothing.

There are large scale influencers with big audiences, there are MMO news sites that do the same and there are small time wannabes in forums doing it too. They all share some of the blame for anyone who was influenced to waste money on this.

And oh yeah, almost forgot, there are also those who just LOL everything because of some character flaw that compels them to pretend to be above it all.
    Gdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

It was a silly point that no one but Caspien is to blame. They're not calling streamers and youtubers "influencers" these days for nothing.

There are large scale influencers with big audiences, there are MMO news sites that do the same and there are small time wannabes in forums doing it too. They all share some of the blame for anyone who was influenced to waste money on this.

And oh yeah, almost forgot, there are also those who just LOL everything because of some character flaw that compels them to pretend to be above it all.
    Not just Caspien, like I said if you could read, his team and anyone in on the scam. the victims are not to blame. 
    Gdemami
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Not just Caspien, like I said if you could read, his team and anyone in on the scam. the victims are not to blame. 
    The dupes near the bottom of the pyramid in a pyramid scheme share some blame for recruiting people, even if they were just useful idiots.   

Clearly not as much as those intentionally doing it, but some.

Same applies here.

GdemamiSensai

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

The dupes near the bottom of the pyramid in a pyramid scheme share some blame for recruiting people, even if they were just useful idiots.   

Same applies here.

It’s not a pyramid scheme. Just a scam ran by a single entity sucking money from anyone they can deceive. Being deceived != at fault. 
    IselinGdemami
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Same applies here.

It’s not a pyramid scheme. Just a scam ran by a single entity sucking money from anyone they can deceive. Being deceived != at fault. 
    When you intentionally ignore information that should have been a big fucking red flag, yeah... you own a piece of the blame.   When you intentionally try to stop people from talking about those big red flags... yeah you own a piece of that.
    Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited April 2020
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Same applies here.

When you intentionally ignore information that should have been a big fucking red flag, yeah... you own a piece of the blame.   When you intentionally try to stop people from talking about those big red flags... yeah you own a piece of that.
    People who put money towards it while heeding any warnings are responsible for their own money, but to say they are in any way responsible for the scheme is fucking idiotic. "You shouldn't be wearing skirts if you don't want to get raped". Great thinking.

The criminal is the only one responsible.
    Gdemami
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Same applies here.

People who put money towards it while heeding any warnings are responsible for their own money, but to say they are in any way responsible for the scheme is fucking idiotic. "You shouldn't be wearing skirts if you don't want to get raped". Great thinking.

Dumb ass analogy.  I guess you are just gonna be obstinate now.  OK.  Believe whatever helps you sleep at night.
    Gdemami

Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Same applies here.

Dumb ass analogy.  I guess you are just gonna be obstinate now.  OK.  Believe whatever helps you sleep at night.
    I'm not the one blaming victims for the crime some other douchebag committed, I have nothing to lose sleep over. Just keep bashing people for making mistakes, it's always a good idea and always works like a charm.
    Gdemami
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Same applies here.

I'm not the one blaming victims for the crime some other douchebag committed, I have nothing to lose sleep over. Just keep bashing people for making mistakes, it's always a good idea and always works like a charm.
    Keep excusing people for ignoring common sense evidence, and luring others into the scheme.  Misery loves company.

Gdemami

Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Same applies here.

Keep excusing people for ignoring common sense evidence, and luring others into the scheme.  Misery loves company.

Keep enabling others to scam, it’s the victims fault after all. 

We could be spending 100% of our energy fighting garbage like this from happening at all but I guess it is easier to kick those that are already down. 
    Gdemami
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Well here's a little story about when I bought into EQNext.

I got into Landmark beta and built some stuff had some fun but eventually they shut the whole thing down and just took our money.

I was the victim and guess what I blamed myself.

I was the one who bought in early I knew the risks and that the game might never see the light of day. I'm the one responsible for spending my money. Buyer beware applies to me.

I also bought into The Repopulation.

Then I said forget this and I'll only buy games that are finished that I can actually play.

These people are not just poor victims with no idea about the risks that went with these purchases. Take some financial responsibility for your own actions and learn from them.
    Slapshot1188AnOldFart

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:

I got into Landmark beta and built some stuff had some fun but eventually they shut the whole thing down and just took our money.

I was the one who bought in early I knew the risks and that the game might never see the light of day. I'm the one responsible for spending my money. Buyer beware applies to me.

Then I said forget this and I'll only buy games that are finished that I can actually play.

These people are not just poor victims with no idea about the risks that went with these purchases. Take some financial responsibility for your own actions and learn from them.
    And everyone should be responsible for their own money, but there's an astronomical difference between buying and being able to play EQNext Landmark and giving thousands of dollars for a promise. What EQ did wasn't a scam, it just failed. What The Repopulation did wasn't a scam, it just failed (and is now running again I guess?). What COE did is pure scam, no ifs ands or buts about it. Pure scam. Turning around and saying, 'It's your fault for dumping so much money into this project that never existed!" baffles my mind. None of that should go toward the poor suckers that lost out. Everything should be pointed at Caspian and his goons.
    Gdemami
    edited April 2020
    Nilden said:

And everyone should be responsible for their own money, but there's an astronomical difference between buying and being able to play EQNext Landmark and giving thousands of dollars for a promise. What EQ did wasn't a scam, it just failed. What The Repopulation did wasn't a scam, it just failed (and is now running again I guess?). What COE did is pure scam, no ifs ands or buts about it. Pure scam. Turning around and saying, 'It's your fault for dumping so much money into this project that never existed!" baffles my mind. None of that should go toward the poor suckers that lost out. Everything should be pointed at Caspian and his goons.
    You are saying shit I never said.   I said WALSH bears by far the greatest burden, but if you ignored the warning and ESPECIALLY if you lured others in and told THEM to ignore the warnings, you are not blameless.

Gdemami

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    edited April 2020
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Same applies here.

We could be spending 100% of our energy fighting garbage like this from happening at all but I guess it is easier to kick those that are already down. 

Actually as one of those scammed for £250 (probably more)...
    I take 40% of the blame.
    Jeromy takes the 60% for lying and being deceptive.
    My 40% is because even after reading comments etc, I fell for the hype, I didn't do due diligence, and I gave the money counting it lost....
    Gdemami
    edited April 2020
    AnOldFart said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Nilden said:

Same applies here.

Actually as one of those scammed for £250 (probably more)...
    I take 40% of the blame.
    Jeromy takes the 60% for lying and being deceptive.
    My 40% is because even after reading comments etc, I fell for the hype, I didn't do due diligence, and I gave the money counting it lost....
    Blame for what?
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The OP is right that the money spent by players shows there is an appetite for this sort of game but if another goes under without launching I think it is safe to say that most will have lost their appetite for crowd funded MMO's.