Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$45 credit on Steam, need some suggestions

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys,

I've had a $45 credit sitting on Steam for a while now.  I need some suggestions on something in that price range (more or less is fine) that I might enjoy.  I generally enjoy turn-based or otherwise slower paced, more casual and relaxing games.  Nothing terribly complex that I have to watch hours of guides on YouTube to be successful at.  RPGs or strategy games are fine.  Any more relaxing game is fine, actually.  I've already played Stardew Valley and the Pillars of Eternity and Divinity:  Original Sin titles.  I tried Civ but didn't really get into it.

Any suggestions as to something I might fine fun?

Thanks!

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited April 2020
    Buy an Atelier game the hardest ones are from the Arland trilogy since they have time limits. Only problem is they are expensive games and hardly ever come down in price. I use a controller to play it. 

The crafting is very involved using puzzles and you spend a lot of time rearranging the ingredients in the cauldron. Different atelier games have different systems. They have some which are combat heavy but all combat is turn based.

Come to think of it you don't look like the type who might be interested. Well I just love these games is all. Thought I would introduce others to it .
    Post edited by cheyane on
    Sensai
    Chamber of Chains
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    The Valkyria Chronicles games are pretty good in my opinion.

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Get pathfinder and just put kingdom management to easy if you don't want to be very involved its a great game
    strawhat0981
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited April 2020
    I'd recommend Disco Elysium, Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon Quest Builders 2 or Age of Wonders III.

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I feel a steam sale is going to start soon, may be a good time to wait and figure out whay you want and hope what you waited for is on sale. 
    strawhat0981
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I feel a steam sale is going to start soon, may be a good time to wait and figure out whay you want and hope what you waited for is on sale. 
    No Spring Steam sale last year so next one is Summer sale in June.
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    If you ever wanted to play a Eve as a single player game..

Astrox Imperium is a fantastic casual chill game , its in great shape with near endless content in this space  sandbox ...And for 15$ there are not very many better ofers on Steam ..

Operencia is an Old School turn based party game , beautiful world and engaging TB combat ...

2 under the radar suggestions

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Tabletop Simulator is half off this weekend. $30 for the 4 pack! ($10 for Singular)

Thousands of games in the workshop, too :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Darkest Dungeon.. fun game.
    Sovrathstrawhat0981Ancient_Exile
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have over a thousand looks from que ues,so very little quality games,just piles of trash.

If you have a decent computer,i would suggest ,because the series caught me by surprise,i enjoyed it and that was the Dishonored series.I think after the first game and it's add ons you might get tired of the game design ideas but idk i still enjoyed the second one as well.

IMO Dishonored was my best game purchase of the last 10 years but Atlas is very close.Thing about Atlas is that i look for certain types of games and it gives me what i looked for.Building,pets,realistic graphics and realistic combat,ship building/sailing and water zones,very risky world,weather affects and no hand holding,Furthermore because i can play single player add my own mods from many mod choices,i can play the game forever ,change it up once awhile and get a ton of longevity out of it.

Although i really liked Dishonored,games like that are kind of once maybe twice,i played it 3x lol,then they kind of collect dust.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    This^^

Don't spend money 'just because'.  Steam always has games on sale even when it's not a blowout sale like the summer sale.  

Find something you like, create a wishlist of games to keep an eye on and spend your money when you can maximize it's value.
    strawhat0981
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited April 2020
    Operencia: The Stolen Souls. It's a turn based dungeon crawler RPG that looks really good. It's also on sale on Steam.

I haven't played it i've heard good things. Everything i've seen reminds me of Stranger of Sword City on the PSVita, and that's why i'm mentioning it. I'm definitely getting Operencia for myself when i have the chance.

EDIT: also since you said you played Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity, if you liked those i suggest Torment: Tides of Numenera. I'm playing it on PS4 and it's pretty good. It's also like $22 bucks on Steam right now.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Divinity Oringal Sin 2.  IMO.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Cities: Skylines

Has been out a while, but it's an amazing sim game. So much deeper than the SimCity series, the mod community has also transformed the game. There is enough complexity and depth to make it challenging at times and give you goals to work on, but it also engages my creative side. If you want to take it chill, you can just stop expanding your city and work on perfecting an area, either through better traffic management, or just spending time adding props to make it all look great. If you enjoy it, tons of DLC to expand the game too.

Planet Coaster / Planet Zoo

Both great games from Frontier (E:D), I believe they did the original rollercoaster tycoon games too. Similar to my first suggestion, these games find a sweet spot between complex systems to challenge your game time and a creative outlet. Zoo is newer and probably better imo, however animals are pretty small so when your zoomed out you can barely see them.

Total Warhammer 2

Strategy without the real-time. Great strategic thinking required for the map-based game (building your empire) and some fun micromanagement when you get into battles. The battles can get really big too, armies can reach 3000+ troops and I think 4 full armies can fight in the same battle. I love that sense of scale, plus I love warhammer!

I wish I could recommend a good RPG for you, but in truth I haven't played a good one in many years now. I hate the modern trend of either being a story-focused RPG (ugghh) or an ARPG. Neither appeals to me, so I stick to the old ones when i feel the need. If you never played it, I'd still recommend Final Fantasy 7, imo it has the best gameplay of any of them.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Lots of good suggestions.  Thanks, guys!
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Ungood said:

I was also going to suggest this.

I love playing this game right before bed. It's fun, engaging and has great writing and a unique art style. This one will always be on my computer if I have any say.

Other suggestions?

Old games but Andromeda and Masters of Orion II

Also the remake of X-Com
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    edited April 2020
    Ungood said:

I love DD . i backed it and was promoting it here before any had heard of it , have 100s of hours in it ..

That being said , it has a way of keeping you on edge much like the group members themselves , the stress is real .. and as a rogue-like Not casual imo :)
    Ancient_ExileIselinSovrath
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Scorchien said:
    Ungood said:

I love DD . i backed it and was promoting it here before any had heard of it , have 100s of hours in it ..

That being said , it has a way of keeping you on edge much like the group members themselves , the stress is real .. and as a rogue-like Not casual imo :)
    Funny story. I bought it for my son on Steam while he almost simultaneously bought it for me :) Great spin on rogue-like dungeon crawlers.
    ScorchienAlBQuirky
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Underrail and Rimworld. Trust me.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    AlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Xcom 2

AlBQuirky
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Stellar Tactics

https://store.steampowered.com/app/465490/Stellar_Tactics/

Its amazing-

This game is the closest you can get to the old tabletop RPG from the 80s called 'Traveler'- An open world sandbox to play around in and make your way in the universe. Turn based game goodness as well.

Its a super ambitious game still in EA and made by a single dev- A certain recipe for disaster. However, this has been the best EA game i've ever seen in terms of development- Right now its more than a complete game (We're missing the main story, enemy ship boarding and a few other features) and worth every penny- Devs like this are rare these days and EA has been so tarnished that many people are becoming rightfully cynical... But this one stands out and needs exposure.

Way too much to explain about the game and I'm short on time , but check out the forums on steam and look at how often this game has been updated in the last few years and how beefy the updates are.
    ScorchienAlBQuirky
    newbismx said:
    Stellar Tactics

https://store.steampowered.com/app/465490/Stellar_Tactics/

Its amazing-

This game is the closest you can get to the old tabletop RPG from the 80s called 'Traveler'- An open world sandbox to play around in and make your way in the universe. Turn based game goodness as well.

Its a super ambitious game still in EA and made by a single dev- A certain recipe for disaster. However, this has been the best EA game i've ever seen in terms of development- Right now its more than a complete game (We're missing the main story, enemy ship boarding and a few other features) and worth every penny- Devs like this are rare these days and EA has been so tarnished that many people are becoming rightfully cynical... But this one stands out and needs exposure.

Way too much to explain about the game and I'm short on time , but check out the forums on steam and look at how often this game has been updated in the last few years and how beefy the updates are.

its is a really fun game been testing for 3 years now ...

Like Baldurs Gate in space as ive described it here in the past

and altho there is a good bit of game and it s playable , game has a good way to go ..
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Funny, I had the same problem and yesterday I bought Jedi Fallen Order. It's like Force Unleashed series in that its more about playing a story over a deep game. Its on sale till the 7th
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    For my summer splurge, I picked up Interstellar Space: Genesis on Steam.  It's a rehash of Masters of Orion with some elements copied from similar games (events, specials, leaders, etc.)  Single Player.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.