Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

are people really that stupid?

Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
now i know that it's easier to pass judgment now that the consequences are out in the open but when i come across something like this:

From 4:00 PM PDT, March 14th to 4:00 PM PDT April 28th 2020 new and existing players will have a limited time opportunity to change the history of Elyria forever by claiming Settlements, Counties, and Duchies!
Each day of the event, the price of every domain that is available will drop by 1%, up to 45% off on the final day of the event.
Featured Domains will be selected to have an additional -10% off the original price. These flash sales will change every 20 minutes, but no domain will be on sale twice, so don’t miss out!
During the event, NPCs will also be settling in Elyria! This means if you are eyeing up a new Settlement, County, or Duchy, waiting might mean an NPC swoops in and claims this domain, so act fast when you see the right holding at the right price!

if this doesn't raise more red flags than a chinese military parade then what does?

hurry up to buy uncoded land in an uncoded continent in a pre-alpha stage before an NPC takes it away from you? Really?

this is the most scammiest thing i've read since bitconnect. (a scam crypto coin - ).

now i'm not endorsing scamming, far from it... but surely people appear to make it really easy on the scammer sometimes.

GdemamibcbullyHyperpsycrownatpick

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    You must have missed the thousands of posts here since that announcement... or the thousands more in the proceeding years.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
    You must have missed the thousands of posts here since that announcement... or the thousands more in the proceeding years.

ya.

don't follow mmorpgs closely any more, but i started following the debate after the game was shut down and started getting up to speed.

and maybe to people who have been following this game closely and paying attention this does not surprise them; but to an outsider this is like.... wtf were they thinking? lol.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited April 2020

ya.

don't follow mmorpgs closely any more, but i started following the debate after the game was shut down and started getting up to speed.

and maybe to people who have been following this game closely and paying attention this does not surprise them; but to an outsider this is like.... wtf were they thinking? lol.

Well it's been talked about a lot but you highlighted what's probably the scummiest thing he did in a long list of scummy things: knowing damn well that the game was likely over he tried one last time to get extra cash from the devout and gullible with the added pressure from NPCs claiming bit. No refunds on that shit either for those who bit.
    GdemamiYashaXnatpick
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Iselin said:

ya.

Well it's been talked about a lot but you highlighted what's probably the scummiest thing he did in a long list of scummy things: knowing damn well that the game was likely over he tried one last time to get extra cash from the devout and gullible with the added pressure from NPCs claiming bit. No refunds on that shit either for those who bit.
    And yet, people will back his next project.
    Gdemami
    Iselin said:

ya.

And yet, people will back his next project.
    Seriously doubt it unless he pulls a Titov and uses front men. Even among the stupidest his name is now shit.
    GdemamiNilden
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited April 2020
    Iselin said:

ya.

true but i'm not referring to the timing though.

it is clear now that the intention was to milk money from the backers knowing the game would shut down..

what i am pointing out though is how shamelessly they went about doing it and how no one called them out on it. not only that, people went along with it!

surely i am not the only one who sees SCAM written all over that post regardless of when it was written.
    Gdemami
    Iselin said:

ya.

true but i'm not referring to the timing though.

it is clear now that the intention was to milk money from the backers knowing the game would shut down..

what i am pointing out though is how shamelessly they went about doing it and how no one called them out on it. not only that, people went along with it!

surely i am not the only one who reads SCAM written all over that post regardless of when it was written.
    We in these forums all called him on it. The gaming media though just reported it as business as usual in a crowdfunded MMO.

Here's the news article about it here: https://www.mmorpg.com/chronicles-of-elyria/news/settlers-of-elyria-returns-today-for-chronicles-of-elyria-2000117511

Not a hint that there is any thing to beware of. Gaming media is rushing headlong to make itself obsolete by just passing on press releases without any thought as if everything was equally good for the industry.
    GdemamiYashaXKumaponDakeruMendelNilden

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I just watched the video  :|
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Does this question really need to be asked ..

They are stupider than you could ever imagine

what i am pointing out though is how shamelessly they went about doing it and how no one called them out on it.  
    Again... if you think "no one called them out on it" you have not read these forums.  There are MANY that called him out on it.  There are unfortunately also many enablers who tried to blame those people, call them trolls, discredit them, and otherwise defend what was obviously really bad stuff by the company.

I have said it before but I will say it again, much of the community acted almost cult-like in their dedication and willingness to excuse almost anything.

Do yourself a favor and read through some old threads.  Just look for the ones with 5+ pages of comments and that should catch you up.

GdemamiYashaXGormogon

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Also, honestly we are talking about a community that organized itself based on the money they put into the game.  I was literally on a Discord that was for a group that was part of a Dutchy that was part of a Kingdom and they had a 10-minute discussion about which Count was higher on the totem pole and who they could contact in order to contact someone else to be able to contact the Duke to see if he could reach out to the "King" 

So Jeromy was able to create an environment where these folks craved spending money because it gave them status in their pretend Kingdoms.

It was quite bizarre to watch.

Gdemami[Deleted User]KyleranYashaXKumapon[Deleted User]DakeruJensyn

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    If stupidity was the fountain of youth we would all be a twinkle in our parents eyes.

I mean on these very forums we have a shinning example of humanity who prioritized clicking the LOL button on almost every post in every CoE thread.

The people who backed this project were being sold nothing. They gave money on hopes and dreams.

While stupid might be a contributing factor I think gullible and naive played a part. A lot of people want to imagine an awesome mmorpg with kingdom wars and aging and counts and dukes with a huge map. They were lied to and taken advantage of.
    Mendel

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Nilden said:
    If stupidity was the fountain of youth we would all be a twinkle in our parents eyes.

I mean on these very forums we have a shinning example of humanity who prioritized clicking the LOL button on almost every post in every CoE thread.

The people who backed this project were being sold nothing. They gave money on hopes and dreams.

While stupid might be a contributing factor I think gullible and naive played a part. A lot of people want to imagine an awesome mmorpg with kingdom wars and aging and counts and dukes with a huge map. They were lied to and taken advantage of.
    They weren't the first gamers to be lied to and taken advantage of, won't be the last.

Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Here is an example that may help explain the thought process that allowed people to spend this much money on something most of us could see was a really bad idea.  This is what the Enablers helped create:

Sucker
    Gdemami

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    To directly answer the thread's question, no, people aren't that inherently stupid.  But the behavior that can be seen certainly suggests otherwise.  We may be concerned over the wrong pandemic.

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Nilden said:

yes i understand this but how viable would such an mmo be?

someone who could potentially start playing the game on day 1 would essentially know they could never be a duke or a king because someone 4 years back paid $3000 for that privilage?

i am suggesting the whole concept was flawed and as such, the scam was quite evident.

in the best of circumstances, the backers would have been playing on their own upon launch because everyone else could just aspire to remain peasants. or am i wrong?

the game was in essence selling them a privilage that would ultimately hurt the very game.
    Gdemami
    Here is an example that may help explain the thought process that allowed people to spend this much money on something most of us could see was a really bad idea.  This is what the Enablers helped create:

Sucker

jesus christ..

i think this does answer my question very nicely.
    Gdemami
    Nilden said:

yes i understand this but how viable would such an mmo be?

someone who could potentially start playing the game on day 1 would essentially know they could never be a duke or a king because someone 4 years back paid $3000 for that privilage?

i am suggesting the whole concept was flawed and as such, the scam was quite evident.

in the best of circumstances, the backers would have been playing on their own upon launch because everyone else could just aspire to remain peasants. or am i wrong?

the game was in essence selling them a privilage that would ultimately hurt the very game.
    See this thread here which is a discussion about a plan to sell NPCs in the store:

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/484828/now-they-even-plan-to-sell-npcs-are-there-no-ends-to-this/p1

Gdemami

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Stupid  is too kind a word.
    Rockstar 300 million from just their GTA cash shop,Fortnite 2.4 billion.

INSANITY !!.

IselinGdemami

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    edited April 2020
    edited April 2020

so i've been catching up with the news.

i realise that massivelyOP has called them out on many ocassions to the point where they literally take the piss at their efforts.

i feel a bit sheepish now having posted this thread but my connection to mmos for the past few years has been the occasional visit to this site (not the forums) and this site does a real poor job of getting people informed about shit that matters imo. their articles feel like a copy-paste of patch notes most of the time. massively surely saw it coming miles away and reported as such.

i should probably expand my sources but with the mmos i am interested in being years away from releasing sometimes i don't see the point.

i can now see though that for anyone paying attention this was obvious.

GdemamiMendel
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 911
    OP you made my day with ur post
    HAHAHAA !

You earned my respect :D
    Gdemami

• CostaniusCostanius Member UncommonPosts: 231

Sucker

I feel sorry for the guy who wasted so much time and money!

But don't You guys see what potential the game concept of CoE had if done right?
    What most MMOs need  and live off is community engagement and community interaction. CoE had that..even without a playable game! Which shows that there is a lot of potential in the design concept of CoE for a successful MMO if done right with an appropriate budget and with eliminating the flaws of the original design!
    There are many MMO-players out there who WANT a MMO similiar to CoE and who are willing to spend money and to invest time to form communities. A serious development studio who realizes this and makes a good product based on CoE initial design features could land a big success here!
    anemo

-----------------------------------
    Life is too short to play bad games.

Costanius said:

Sucker

But don't You guys see what potential the game concept of CoE had if done right?
    What most MMOs need  and live off is community engagement and community interaction. CoE had that..even without a playable game! Which shows that there is a lot of potential in the design concept of CoE for a successful MMO if done right with an appropriate budget and with eliminating the flaws of the original design!
    There are many MMO-players out there who WANT a MMO similiar to CoE and who are willing to spend money and to invest time to form communities. A serious development studio who realizes this and makes a good product based on CoE initial design features could land a big success here!
    CoE was pretty much promising to be every game to every person.  There was simply no way it could exist even with unlimited funds.  Also, as described in this thread and even the screenshot, much of this "Community Engagement" was driven by the cash-based social rankings.  

CoE did not have a very large community.  It was quite small.  I think it was estimated to be around 20k prior to when they gave away the free accounts, and that 20k was accounts not players.  As we know, many people were so obsessed with status that they purchased multiple accounts.  I'd put the true community number at 12-15k.

They were dedicated and had deep pockets, make no doubt about that, but also do not doubt that they were a niche of a niche. And once gameplay was actually revealed and it was diametrically opposed to what they all believed, they too would have turned sour and left in disappointment. 
    Gdemami

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Costanius said:

Sucker

You could look at the game Screeps.   Basically it's what happens when you take an RTS, make it about AI programming, and scale it up to actual MMO scale.   And it does live the dream of 10k plus NPCs, operating with a purpose, and it's fully persistent. 

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."