Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Watch Over Two Hours of Saga of Lucimia in Q&A Live Stream

124»

Comments

• mmoloummolou Member UncommonPosts: 256
    There isn’t a problem here.  @DMKano has been bitter ever since Trion and @borghive49 thinks he’s being clever. 
    Nope, I'm not trying to be clever at all here. I just smell a lot of bull shit coming from this project. 

He still won't answer any of the questions I asked and keeps deflecting. 

If you guys want to defend him that is your business, but I ain't going to stop asking questions as long as he keep using these forums as a platform to advertise his glorified tech demo. 

I would be way more forgiving if  they actually showed off other parts of the damn game and Tim wasn't such a jerk when handling questions and criticisms. 

All we have gotten is basically 1 zone shown off for the last 4 years and some concept art. That is all they have shown period! Go dig for yourself and you will see. Why did they delete all their Youtube content prior to 2019? 

I just don't think they have much of their actual game world built out at the moment and they lying about it. If that is the case too, there is no way they are going to release this game in 2021. I'm sure this release time frame is going to be changed too. 

You would think you guys would learn from the CoE fiasco, but I guess there are just a lot of suckers out there.

Sure you said you were done 4 or 5 post's ago....
    ChildoftheShadowsRenfailTokken
    It is a funny world we live in.
    We had Empires run by Emperors, we had Kingdoms run by Kings, now we have Countries...
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    There isn’t a problem here.  @DMKano has been bitter ever since Trion and @borghive49 thinks he’s being clever. 
    You would think you guys would learn from the CoE fiasco, but I guess there are just a lot of suckers out there.

Bam. This is exactly what I thought. You think your going to uncover some great scam like coe but there is on major flaw. The money. Stop being so damn stupid. 
    mmolouRenfailKyleranTokken
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041

Bam. This is exactly what I thought. You think your going to uncover some great scam like coe but there is on major flaw. The money. Stop being so damn stupid. 
    Besides, CoE never showed a game at all. I can actually test SoL this weekend if I want to.

Crowdfunding isn't crap, people their radar for unrealistic crap is.

I learned from:

Bloodstained
    Divinity OS 1 and 2
    Pillars of Eternity
    Torment
    Grim Dawn
    Wolcen
    Bards Tale
    Last Epoch
    Broken Age
    Wasteland 2
    Satellite Reign
    Earthlock
    etc.
    etc.

Crowdfunding has been nothing then awesome for me. of course I didn't back CoE, it was utter nonsense from the start with completely unrealistic goals. SoL is actually the opposite.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    mmolouChildoftheShadowsRenfailKyleranTokken
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    DMKano said:
    lahnmir said:

Besides, CoE never showed a game at all. I can actually test SoL this weekend if I want to.

I learned from:

Bloodstained
    Divinity OS 1 and 2
    Pillars of Eternity
    Torment
    Grim Dawn
    Wolcen
    Bards Tale
    Last Epoch
    Broken Age
    Wasteland 2
    Satellite Reign
    Earthlock
    etc.
    etc.

Crowdfunding has been nothing then awesome for me. of course I didn't back CoE, it was utter nonsense from the start with completely unrealistic goals. SoL is actually the opposite.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

You do realize a huge difference between single player / small multiplayer games and MMOs. 

The scope of work is usually orders of magnitude different 
    Absolutely. But, in the specific case of CoE, they promised the moon with a budget for a pebble. The only CF MMORPG that is promising even more is Star Citizen which isn't even able to deliver  that on a 250+ million dollar budget. Games like Crowfall, catering to a specific crowd instead of the 'everything and the kitchen sink' approach stand a chance, and not even all of those.

Bottom line, a comparison between CoE and Sol is like between apples and cheese. Both are food yes but that is where the similarities end. And sure, Tim has an attitude which some can't look past, whoopdido, we all do around these parts. But I can test SoL, they do engage the communities, they aren't having ridiculous sales or P2W packages, online auctions, etc. etc. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    bcbullyRenfailmmolou
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    lahnmir said:
    DMKano said:
    lahnmir said:

I learned from:

Bloodstained
    Divinity OS 1 and 2
    Pillars of Eternity
    Torment
    Grim Dawn
    Wolcen
    Bards Tale
    Last Epoch
    Broken Age
    Wasteland 2
    Satellite Reign
    Earthlock
    etc.
    etc.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

You do realize a huge difference between single player / small multiplayer games and MMOs. 

The scope of work is usually orders of magnitude different 
    Absolutely. But, in the specific case of CoE, they promised the moon with a budget for a pebble. The only CF MMORPG that is promising even more is Star Citizen which isn't even able to deliver  that on a 250+ million dollar budget. Games like Crowfall, catering to a specific crowd instead of the 'everything and the kitchen sink' approach stand a chance, and not even all of those.

Bottom line, a comparison between CoE and Sol is like between apples and cheese. Both are food yes but that is where the similarities end. And sure, Tim has an attitude which some can't look past, whoopdido, we all do around these parts. But I can test SoL, they do engage the communities, they aren't having ridiculous sales or P2W packages, online auctions, etc. etc. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Geeez dude...
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    mklinic said:
    Maybe I'm just a bit slow on this one, but what are we worried the scam is here?

As far as I can see, @Renfail ; has consistently steered people away from purchasing the game until it is complete. Out of curiosity, I went over to their official forums and see that, within the first couple threads I clicked on, both he and a community manager (Elloa), repeated the same sentiment. There's doesn't seem to be a major effort to separate people from their money.

Beyond that, did they take a bunch of money in a crowd funding drive? After a brief search, I could only find a very modest Indiegogo campaign.

If he's trying to pull a fast one, not sure he's chosen the most effective strategy.

I get if there's just a general personality clash, but I'm not sure liking/disliking a person is really an indicator that a project is a scam or not.

I honestly could not say one way or the other right now, but @Renfail has been a member here, and active, for going on five years it looks like. If it were a scam, then I admire the commitment if nothing else. Someone should tell him that the big money is in selling virtual, imaginary land though...

To the original question; Just let me know why we're planning to burn the witch and I'll get my popcorn.
    Mmmmm, popcorn!

And yes, we turn down people every single day of the week. In Discord, on streams, in our forums, and beyond. 

Having a barrier of entry ensures that people are there for the right reasons. And it keeps the trolls largely at bay. 
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
    lahnmir said:
    DMKano said:
    cheyane said:
    I think I don't need a nanny to help me with decisions about the games I buy.  At some point I feel this crusade is getting tiresome.

It's not about anyone being your nanny or feeling like you have to rebel against what someone says.

In the current state of video game development - there is a chronic problem of asking for money way before the product is cooked.

The consumers are either a part of this problem (continue to give money to unfinished products)

or

a part of the solution (wait to purchase until the game is launched)

If you choose to be a part of the problem - at least own it and accept responsibility for what you are enabling.

What problem? I am sorry but there only is a problem if:

A. You decide to make it one
    B. Are completely unable to control your spending habits

This whole problem spiel is bullshit. The “problem” has brought us games like Grim Dawn, Divinity OS 1 and 2, Wasteland 2 etc. etc. I was part of all of those “problems.” Yes, a bucketload of crap has been released as well, or not released at all, exactly the same as with regular development. But all of the above mentioned problems wouldn’t have been made at all without crowdfunding.

The solution is knowing what you are spending money on, not waiting for finished games because you refuse to do crowdfunding. @Cheyane is absolutely right, its patronizing BS.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Crowdfunding has brought a TON of great projects to light. I have no less than 10 (at a quick glance) crowdfunded titles installed right now, plus I've got several other games on pre-order. 

Sure, a few have crashed and burned, but that's not gonna stop me from supporting projects. 

The key is due diligence. I've yet to be burned on a single project I've backed. 
    edited March 2020
    mmolou said:
    Nope, I'm not trying to be clever at all here. I just smell a lot of bull shit coming from this project. 

He still won't answer any of the questions I asked and keeps deflecting. 

If you guys want to defend him that is your business, but I ain't going to stop asking questions as long as he keep using these forums as a platform to advertise his glorified tech demo. 

I would be way more forgiving if  they actually showed off other parts of the damn game and Tim wasn't such a jerk when handling questions and criticisms. 

All we have gotten is basically 1 zone shown off for the last 4 years and some concept art. That is all they have shown period! Go dig for yourself and you will see. Why did they delete all their Youtube content prior to 2019? 

I just don't think they have much of their actual game world built out at the moment and they lying about it. If that is the case too, there is no way they are going to release this game in 2021. I'm sure this release time frame is going to be changed too. 

Sure you said you were done 4 or 5 post's ago....
    They've said that at least a dozen times in the past couple of weeks, here and at MassivelyOP. 

Twas a riot last night in our live stream with Battle Ax Theater, spamming the channel with questions trying to "out" us for our devilry.

Truly, the definition of a #1 fan, in that they follow me from site to site. 

Gotta rid the world of the scum and villany of crowdfunded games!

Which gives me a chuckle, as we aren't really even a crowdfunded game =P 

And it's literally SO EASY to simply NOT pre-order our game if you are against pre-ordering games. 

You just don't give us (or ANY game asking you to pre-order) any money. Simple!
    lahnmir said:

I learned from:

Bloodstained
    Divinity OS 1 and 2
    Pillars of Eternity
    Torment
    Grim Dawn
    Wolcen
    Bards Tale
    Last Epoch
    Broken Age
    Wasteland 2
    Satellite Reign
    Earthlock
    etc.
    etc.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    We've tried pretty damn hard over the years to avoid feature creep. 

But I think our main satisfaction rating with folks comes from the fact that we've had people logging in since September of 2015. 

Meanwhile, many other indie projects have had people waiting 4-6 years and they STILL haven't been able to log in and test anything. 
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I smell an online land auction coming up in our near future....
    mmolou
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited March 2020
    Damn I just realized (I can be slow at my age and that's OK) that the initials for this game, SOL, are the same as for shit out of luck. That's unfortunate. You should consider start using SOLU... just a thought :)

No horse in this race as I haven't and won't support this pre-launch but I do have to say there are two key differences in my mind between this and COE: there is definitely something playable here even at this stage and there are no sales of kingdoms for $10K going on here.

Matter of fact unless Renfall is a marketing genius with his "don't buy this game" method for boosting sales, my scam detector is pretty idle here.

Anyway... sorry for the interruption and carry on. I'll just keep reading from the sidelines.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Renfail said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Don't even joke about it....err, you were joking right?
    mmolou

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Part of the problem is that people like you keep trying to protect others from themselves.

I supposed the other part of the problem is that there are a few people who need to be protected from themselves.

As I've said before, every kickstarter that I've ever backed, that was funded, has launched.

So crowdfunding games can work. And other projects. But there isn't a guarantee. As long as people go into these things with their eyes wide open and actually accept that these things might not launch, there really isn't a big deal.

It's the people who ACTUALLY think they are guaranteed something that are the problem.

And sure, there are developers out there who dream big but will never be able to deliver. If people are uncomfortable with that then don't give money to anyone. Or try to be smart about it.

The two "outstanding" crowdfunding projects that I've given money to (and surprise surprise, both mmorpg's) are Camelot Unchained and Pantheon.

Camelot Unchained I never really cared about but there were so many people pining for a return to Dark Age of Camelot that I thought "what the heck" I'll chip in and see if it launches and if it's good.

Pantheon I did not give money to when they launched their kickstarter. Why would I? there was nothing to see. It was only after I followed their dungeon crawls and game play videos that I gave some money.

And here's the thing, if they launch great. If not so f'ing what?

If Saga of Lucimia launches then great and congrats. If not? Then that's a shame and people need to move on. But if people give money expecting guarantees then that's another issue entirely.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Kyleran said:
    Renfail said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I dunno. 

I kind of feel like I have to live up to the hype some of these trolls create around me. 

I mean, I don't want them to go through life feeling like they were wrong about everything. They *need* to have the sweet taste of victory at least once in their lives, right? 
    NarugbcbullyTokken
    Sovrath said:

Part of the problem is that people like you keep trying to protect others from themselves.

I supposed the other part of the problem is that there are a few people who need to be protected from themselves.

As I've said before, every kickstarter that I've ever backed, that was funded, has launched.

So crowdfunding games can work. And other projects. But there isn't a guarantee. As long as people go into these things with their eyes wide open and actually accept that these things might not launch, there really isn't a big deal.

It's the people who ACTUALLY think they are guaranteed something that are the problem.

And sure, there are developers out there who dream big but will never be able to deliver. If people are uncomfortable with that then don't give money to anyone. Or try to be smart about it.

The two "outstanding" crowdfunding projects that I've given money to (and surprise surprise, both mmorpg's) are Camelot Unchained and Pantheon.

Camelot Unchained I never really cared about but there were so many people pining for a return to Dark Age of Camelot that I thought "what the heck" I'll chip in and see if it launches and if it's good.

Pantheon I did not give money to when they launched their kickstarter. Why would I? there was nothing to see. It was only after I followed their dungeon crawls and game play videos that I gave some money.

If Saga of Lucimia launches then great and congrats. If not? Then that's a shame and people need to move on. But if people give money expecting guarantees then that's another issue entirely.

There are also plenty of non-crowdfunded ventures that fail all the time. Google has launched/shuttered dozens of experiments over the years, as an example. 

That money came from somewhere. Regardless if it was their own pockets, their investor's pockets, or the pockets of customers, at some point along the road someone had to put up money against an IDEA, and nothing more than an idea. 

Ideas fail all the time. Does that mean we, as a society, should give up on ideas? That innovation is somehow evil, or the root cause of all that is wrong in the world? Thus our continual reminder that there are https://sagaoflucimia.com/five-reasons-not-to-pre-order-the-saga-of-lucimia/

The best, and ONLY, surefire way to ensure that you never have any personal risk is to never actually risk anything. Don't support ideas; only support finished products. 

Meanwhile, those of us who understand the importance of innovation will continue to support the creation of "things", whether they are for the good of society, or simply for the sake of experimentation, or something as pure and simple as entertainment. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Renfail said:
    Sovrath said:

There are also plenty of non-crowdfunded ventures that fail all the time. Google has launched/shuttered dozens of experiments over the years, as an example. 

That money came from somewhere. Regardless if it was their own pockets, their investor's pockets, or the pockets of customers, at some point along the road someone had to put up money against an IDEA, and nothing more than an idea. 

Ideas fail all the time. Does that mean we, as a society, should give up on ideas? That innovation is somehow evil, or the root cause of all that is wrong in the world? Thus our continual reminder that there are https://sagaoflucimia.com/five-reasons-not-to-pre-order-the-saga-of-lucimia/

The best, and ONLY, surefire way to ensure that you never have any personal risk is to never actually risk anything. Don't support ideas; only support finished products. 

Meanwhile, those of us who understand the importance of innovation will continue to support the creation of "things", whether they are for the good of society, or simply for the sake of experimentation, or something as pure and simple as entertainment. 

I think the sticking point is that projects funded by companies, especially large companies, are all budgeted and monitored and can be stopped with no harm to the consumer.

If a consumer donates money to a crowdfunded venture it's looked on as the little guy losing money. Especially with the fact that there are so many projects that are started by some guy with a dream and not much else.

I myself, being involved in the arts, am used to donating, giving, pledging money to arts organizations, performance groups, etc and I'm not bothered if I don't get a 100% payback in some form.

Most people don't do that and are used to paying for something and getting something. Sadly, there are people who still think that's what crowdfunding is.
    Renfail
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:

I think the sticking point is that projects funded by companies, especially large companies, are all budgeted and monitored and can be stopped with no harm to the consumer.

If a consumer donates money to a crowdfunded venture it's looked on as the little guy losing money. Especially with the fact that there are so many projects that are started by some guy with a dream and not much else.

I myself, being involved in the arts, am used to donating, giving, pledging money to arts organizations, performance groups, etc and I'm not bothered if I don't get a 100% payback in some form.

Most people don't do that and are used to paying for something and getting something. Sadly, there are people who still think that's what crowdfunding is.
    Indeed; I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding about what crowdfunding really is from a certain group of people. 
  • GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    I think the misconnect is that after several big failures people finally start realizing that you can not crowdfund a big high quality flashy modern full scope MMORPG.
    But that's not what this game seems to be aiming for anyway. (correct me if I am wrong)

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    I just wondering what happened to the original 2017 release date when they first started taking pre orders.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Gaendric said:
    I think the misconnect is that after several big failures people finally start realizing that you can not crowdfund a big high quality flashy modern full scope MMORPG.
    But that's not what this game seems to be aiming for anyway. (correct me if I am wrong)

You aren't wrong. Simple, fun and functional is our goal. 
    GaendricAmathe
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    bcbully said:
    I just wondering what happened to the original 2017 release date when they first started taking pre orders.

I have my eye on this game as one to play eventually, but I'll tell you this:  You aren't going to get an answer to that question.  It will just be ignored.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Renfail said:
    Kyleran said:
    Renfail said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I dunno. 

I kind of feel like I have to live up to the hype some of these trolls create around me. 

I mean, I don't want them to go through life feeling like they were wrong about everything. They *need* to have the sweet taste of victory at least once in their lives, right? 
    Well no, not really, I totally nailed COE and am still dancing over its grave, so I'm good for now.

Still plenty more to go, Pantheon will likely be the next to sink.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Still plenty more to go, Pantheon will likely be the next to sink.

Will be keeping an eye out like everyone else. 
    bcbully