Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ascent: Infinite Realm Renamed Elyon, Closed Beta Coming To Korea April 11

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited April 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageAscent: Infinite Realm Renamed Elyon, Closed Beta Coming To Korea April 11

Bluehole teased some big news for the long-in-development Ascent: Infinite Realm, and earlier today it finally happened. A:IR is being renamed Elyon: Ascent Infinite Realm.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited April 2020
    The biggest joke about this news is that it's still on UE3 so performance is going to be trash once you get more than 10-20 ppl in an area.
    McSleazGreatness[Deleted User]
  • LrdEtriusLrdEtrius Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Unreal Engine 3 KEKW
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited April 2020
    Is this another one of those games with no option to opt out of PvP ?

On a side note in Korean dramaland Busan is where people go to disappear and get new identities or just to hide away from problems.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,080
    Why did they change the name to that? It's so generic and forgettable.
    TokkenMcSleazjungmtsDragonyckGamePlay4U
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited April 2020
    No idea on the name change,makes no sense,idk maybe something to do with their licensing contract.

The game really seems to be a TERA reskin,added one new model,the fox like character and a gimmick they are banking on selling an average product>>>>flying.

I can't stand lame gimmick like flying,where do those wings even come from,where do they go after flying because they are not there anymore.
    So yeah reskin,1 model,flying,barely even a TERA expansion but selling this reskin as a new game.

So if i look at other expansions,sure 1 new race/model seems standard from almost all devs,sometimes we get 2.

Has auto pathing to quest,again lame,seems they will NEVER understand immersion over there,the same game design over and over,doesn't anyone think outside their tiny box?

There did seem to be one change but i am certain it is NOT Bluehole but a standard Unreal engine design and that is normal dodging instead of the lame ass somersaults i see in 99% of the games,so it got one thing right but not on their account.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    Another generic korean game. No thanks.
    I like to complain about games.
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Valentina said:
    Maybe a callback to Elleon from TERA. 
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I liked the original name.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• McSleazMcSleaz Member RarePosts: 280
    First name was Trash, 2nd name is Trash+1
    ValentinaSovrath
    Also nothing much about airships anymore? Wasn't that the one thing making it stand out?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    edited April 2020
    Valentina said:

It's beyond better than that horrid, ridiculous original name.

I remember criticizing the original name as soon as it was announced.
    Mikeha
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Gonna bet "Ascent" is the title of some Anime, or Movie, and they had a clash with copyrights.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Sovrath said:

Valentina said:

It's beyond better than that horrid, ridiculous original name.

I remember criticizing the original name as soon as it was announced.

Honestly I also thought the original name was horrible, too, but I think this is an absolutely terrible name for different reasons. I at least knew what Ascent: Infinite Realm was, and abbreviated it played off it's airship content so it made sense in that way. Naming this Elyon-Ascent: Infinite Realm makes an already bad name more atrocious, and if they drop the AiR portion of that title and just call it Elyon, then it just sounds like some random guys generic player character name while also stripping it of the title people have identified with it, however bad it is, for years.

Given that there's almost no mention of the airship content anymore, I am curious if they are reducing the scope of the game by eliminating or vastly reducing it, and if so, this becomes far more generic than it was already looking to be. I just don't really understand this move at all. I understand switching up the combat system but that's about it.
  • CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    The name change is new to me. The action combat has been making the rumor rounds for a long time. Kinda sucks for me. I was hoping for their original concept of a tab-targeting steam punk MMO targeted at western audiences.
  • angaelsangaels Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Who cares about the name if the game can't be played.. It's still UE3.. the art looks awesome, but UE3 does not function well with MMO's.. Why invest time and money in a game that will be DOA.. Bless comes to mind, with all the bridges burned even the UE4 version it sounds like is not even complete..
    Ungood
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Valentina said:
    Also nothing much about airships anymore? Wasn't that the one thing making it stand out?
    There are airships and mechs throughout the video. The game was always a traditional MMO where you would spend most of your time playing on solid ground. My impression was that airships would be like boats in ArcherAge. Important but not the main focus. 
  • ValdheimValdheim Member RarePosts: 614
    Watching the video I was thinking 'this is looking better then the previous videos' until 07:01. There goes any immersion with the usual ridiculous outfits -_-
    Other then that I've also noticed the lack of any aircombat-footage as someone already mentioned and the fact they still use UE3 also leaves a bitter taste :-/
    Valentina
  • oriya9oriya9 Member UncommonPosts: 65
    The most important thing hasn't been changed.
    UE3 game is pretty much a DOA game in this day and age. Especially if it's an MMORPG.
    I'm not going to play an MMORPG that can't utilize my rig, having 20 FPS, just because it's using a more than decade old engine.
    I honestly don't understand what they're thinking...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    oriya9 said:
    UE3 game is pretty much a DOA game in this day and age. Especially if it's an MMORPG.
    I'm not going to play an MMORPG that can't utilize my rig, having 20 FPS, just because it's using a more than decade old engine.
    Probably is a game actually coded more than a decade ago, just getting a new skin and shoveled out the door. 
    oriya9GdemamiTacticalZombeh

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• oriya9oriya9 Member UncommonPosts: 65

Kyleran said:

oriya9 said:

Probably is a game actually coded more than a decade ago, just getting a new skin and shoveled out the door. 

Honestly, that wouldn't surprise me haha
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Elyon (Biblical Hebrew עליון; Masoretic ʿElyōn) is an epithet of the God of the Israelites in the Hebrew Bible. ʾĒl ʿElyōn is usually rendered in English as "God Most High", and similarly in the Septuagint as ὁ Θεός ὁ ὕψιστος ("God the highest").

So is it Hebrew Fantasy Steampunk?
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.