Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited March 2020
    I watched a couple of twitch streamers play this, as I won't be playing it. It was a good VR game even though I watched and not played. Both the streamers paid the $1000 price for Valve's latest VR rig.

While I watched, I was reminded of playing Dungeon Siege with my friend as a multiplayer game. We were both stunned by the graphics... back then (mid 90's-ish). Today, though, the graphics pale in comparison to what we have as commonplace now. That's how I saw Alyx. It's by far the best VR I've seen (not experienced), but so much room for improvement still.

I'm not saying it was bad or undeserving of any and all praise the game receives. It deserves every bit of it. However, floating hands and lack of body perception left me less "immersed" than the streamers I watched, who couldn't stop raving on their own immersion.

Luckily, Half-Life: Alyx works with other VR rigs besides Valve's own, so I think many VR players are playing the game, though not as it was intended to be experienced, yet still a great time. I hope it does well and inspires more VR breakthroughs :)
    ultimateduck

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I watched one streamer play it and wasn't impressed at all.

All these VR games are doing is putting the camera which has always been there in every game and stick it right up to your face forcing you to turn your neck around to see.People might be intrigued by something new,a new toy,a gimmick but imo it doesn't make gaming any better or look any better.

I have no idea why Valve aimed for VR.My assumption is there are too many people that waited a long time for a new Half Life game and they couldn't deliver the same quality and respect the originals did.So they entered a VERY small ,shallow market where competition is weak,that way a sub par effort can fly under the radar.

Watching streamers with these headsets looks very cumbersome,not enjoyable at all.

I have seen nothing at all that would convince me to jump on board the VR ship.I feel just like in the past,the gimmick has already quieted and will remain silent until some new mass marketing scheme has some new idea.Even if there was one really great amazing game,i do not think that would still convince me to buy a VR set,i would need to see the industry get on board so that i would know lots of  good games incoming for VR.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Wizardry said:

All these VR games are doing is putting the camera which has always been there in every game and stick it right up to your face forcing you to turn your neck around to see.People might be intrigued by something new,a new toy,a gimmick but imo it doesn't make gaming any better or look any better.

I have no idea why Valve aimed for VR.My assumption is there are too many people that waited a long time for a new Half Life game and they couldn't deliver the same quality and respect the originals did.So they entered a VERY small ,shallow market where competition is weak,that way a sub par effort can fly under the radar.

Watching streamers with these headsets looks very cumbersome,not enjoyable at all.

I have seen nothing at all that would convince me to jump on board the VR ship.I feel just like in the past,the gimmick has already quieted and will remain silent until some new mass marketing scheme has some new idea.Even if there was one really great amazing game,i do not think that would still convince me to buy a VR set,i would need to see the industry get on board so that i would know lots of  good games incoming for VR.

So salty.  

From my experience so far (a couple hours), the game is pretty awesome.  Can't wait to jump back into it when I get some free time.
    SovrathultimateduckNarug
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,267
    AlBQuirky said:
    I watched a couple of twitch streamers play this, as I won't be playing it. It was a good VR game even though I watched and not played. Both the streamers paid the $1000 price for Valve's latest VR rig.

While I watched, I was reminded of playing Dungeon Siege with my friend as a multiplayer game. We were both stunned by the graphics... back then (mid 90's-ish). Today, though, the graphics pale in comparison to what we have as commonplace now. That's how I saw Alyx. It's by far the best VR I've seen (not experienced), but so much room for improvement still.

I'm not saying it was bad or undeserving of any and all praise the game receives. It deserves every bit of it. However, floating hands and lack of body perception left me less "immersed" than the streamers I watched, who couldn't stop raving on their own immersion.

Luckily, Half-Life: Alyx works with other VR rigs besides Valve's own, so I think many VR players are playing the game, though not as it was intended to be experienced, yet still a great time. I hope it does well and inspires more VR breakthroughs :)

Yes, I play it on my Oculus Rift and Rift S. It was so immersive, when I stopped playing I walked around the house with my arms bent at a 90deg angle as if I was holding controllers and tried turning with my thumb for the next 5 minutes.

Wizardry said:

Seems like someone that has never put on a VR HMD. It's isn't a 360 degree flat screen, it's 6DOF VR... and it's much more 3D than a 3D movie. It's impossible to explain how immersive it is.

NarugAlBQuirky
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    It's a half life game... it would be a success if it was an N64 exclusive today.
    ultimateduckAlBQuirky
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,267
    H0urg1ass said:
    It's a half life game... it would be a success if it was an N64 exclusive today.

It really wouldn't... and this is in contrast to many people saying VR isn't ready for the masses or is already dead. Most VR HMDs are still sold out since black Friday of last year.

And no, it isn't because of the Covid 19 virus. They were on a three/four month back order since Nov of last year and people are still getting their Oculus Rift S and Quests on back order... and there's no way China shut down their economy of 1.3 billion people because 82k people have the coronavirus.
    Narug
  • NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    I already linked a video & stats of Occulus sales increases in the "VR is the objective future of MMORPG and nothing can stop it" thread so I don't feel like rehashing.

Currently 4 on the top selling of Steam.

17,234 reviews and together it's listed Overwhelmingly Positive (98% are positive)

Currently 1411 user ratings on metacritic and 9.1, 51 critics and 93 metascore

Seems like someone that has never put on a VR HMD. It's isn't a 360 degree flat screen, it's 6DOF VR... and it's much more 3D than a 3D movie. It's impossible to explain how immersive it is.

I agree.  If you're doing business training with it, I have, and are actively playing with it that's a totally different experience.
    ultimateduck

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth