Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting info on Caspien's game-dev history

2»

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:
    Has anyone from the CoE team come forward to say whether or not they were even developing a game?  How much of the game was actually coded with that $8 million?  Lots?  None?  Literally just the parkour demo?
    According to the Lawsuit Discord it is stated they used an off the shelf program to make the stupid maps:
    https://www.world-machine.com/

Lots of teams use world machine, there’s nothing inherently wrong with that. What they did with it is the question. 
    When maps came out, mostly everyone thought they built the engine themselves. Many were asking for them to sell it, since they were all into D&D and whatever else. SBS never replied to their requests. So while true there is nothing wrong in them using it. Why did it take them so long making the maps? 

I remember Snipe video at the time basically showing "oh this is why it's taking so long, look how detailed this is". Yeah maybe that's when you drop 4 maps and just stick with one then. 

Why did it take so long? Perhaps because they tried using it to account for largely unnecessary and excruciatingly detailed factors such as water table flows, varying soil acidity levels per region, bee pollination patterns and the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow, yes, both African and European.

:D 

Nice reference :)

But yes, and this is why I also blame Snipehunter who many want to give a pass to.  HE was the lead designer. Part of his responsibility should be to create REASONABLE designs. 

This is why IMHO, he has now had 2 large crowdfunded MMORPG projects which sold virtual land/goods for big bucks shut down active development.

You would think that after the first one he might have learned...

MendelGdemami

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:
    Torrsk said:
    Has anyone from the CoE team come forward to say whether or not they were even developing a game?  How much of the game was actually coded with that $8 million?  Lots?  None?  Literally just the parkour demo?
    According to the Lawsuit Discord it is stated they used an off the shelf program to make the stupid maps:
    https://www.world-machine.com/

Lots of teams use world machine, there’s nothing inherently wrong with that. What they did with it is the question. 
    When maps came out, mostly everyone thought they built the engine themselves. Many were asking for them to sell it, since they were all into D&D and whatever else. SBS never replied to their requests. So while true there is nothing wrong in them using it. Why did it take them so long making the maps? 

I remember Snipe video at the time basically showing "oh this is why it's taking so long, look how detailed this is". Yeah maybe that's when you drop 4 maps and just stick with one then. 

Why did it take so long? Perhaps because they tried using it to account for largely unnecessary and excruciatingly detailed factors such as water table flows, varying soil acidity levels per region, bee pollination patterns and the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow, yes, both African and European.

:D 

Nice reference :)

But yes, and this is why I also blame Snipehunter who many want to give a pass to.  HE was the lead designer. Part of his responsibility should be to create REASONABLE designs. 

This is why IMHO, he has now had 2 large crowdfunded MMORPG projects which sold virtual land/goods for big bucks shut down active development.

You would think that after the first one he might have learned...

Where's the incentive to change?  Crowdfunding gives these guys buckets of cash and they produce nothing.  Snipehunter has gotten 2 buckets of cash so far, what about the situation will actually cause learning to occur?  Rewards for promises, with no accountability.

That's where I put the blame, on those who readily and willingly support these projects and meekly accept the inevitable failure with excuses like "it was only X dollars, I can afford that".  Next time, it might just be 3X dollars.  Eventually, the amount will be beyond anyone's comfort zone.

Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• DeveronDeveron Member UncommonPosts: 60
    https://www.world-creator.com/features/

Different tool. But water flow apparently shouldn’t be a problem. Looking at CoE it obviously was anyways, so they fumbled that, too. 
    Gdemami