Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Return of Reckoning (Warhammer Online private server) really blowing up

Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
I did not like the earlier rendition of this server but decided to give it another try. Wow. 

So the cool thing about this is for you who used to play this game in retail, T1 goes to level 15 and from there it is T2-T4 all together in one big T4 end game. So you are still level 16 when you enter, but you are in warbands with level 40's and boosted. In scenarios you participate with up to level 39's, so 40's get a queue of their own.

So I just got in T2 tonight and holy crap, there were so many players in Elf lands it was insane. As I speak there are 2811 people on the server, 1646 of whom are in end game, which spans T-2 thru T-4 lands. 

Anyway, if you ever were a fan of this game, or even if you were not but enjoy RvR type play, give it another go. Best pvp tanking classes/mechanics in the genre, period. 
Make MMORPG's Great Again!

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Oh....and there is a double xp event going on right now. This is a legal server, EA let's it happen because the game is no longer live and the devs make zero money off it, no donations.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I've been playing for the last couple of weeks, been playing an iron breaker. Currently rank 27, rr 33 and having a great time. Scenarios are popping within 10 seconds most nights and like you say, tier 4 is pretty nuts this weekend. Regularly getting 600+ players in a single zone fighting over keeps and BOs.

Only real downside is client stability. I know it doesn't affect everyone, but my client crashes with increasing regularlity the more players there are. No framerate drops or stuttering, just all of a sudden get booted. I'm stable up to around 150 players then I start getting crashes. Have followed their suggestions and basically turned everything off, its helped a bit but not much. Am hoping after the 2x weekend is over things will get a bit better, failing that it'll be time to return to the original UI and turn off my mods *shudder*

Luckily I enjoy scenarios a lot and they've never crashed :-)
    Viper482
    I've been playing for the last couple of weeks, been playing an iron breaker. Currently rank 27, rr 33 and having a great time. Scenarios are popping within 10 seconds most nights and like you say, tier 4 is pretty nuts this weekend. Regularly getting 600+ players in a single zone fighting over keeps and BOs.

Only real downside is client stability. I know it doesn't affect everyone, but my client crashes with increasing regularlity the more players there are. No framerate drops or stuttering, just all of a sudden get booted. I'm stable up to around 150 players then I start getting crashes. Have followed their suggestions and basically turned everything off, its helped a bit but not much. Am hoping after the 2x weekend is over things will get a bit better, failing that it'll be time to return to the original UI and turn off my mods *shudder*

Concur with all. Did you follow the instructions on the forums to help prevent crashing? I did and it helped a lot. Also make sure you play in fullscreen and not windowed, that caused me a lot of issues too.
    Viper482 said:

Concur with all. Did you follow the instructions on the forums to help prevent crashing? I did and it helped a lot. Also make sure you play in fullscreen and not windowed, that caused me a lot of issues too.

Yeh, been through the thread and the 23 suggestions for reducing lag and crashes. Its helped a bit but not much, the main thing that helped was turning off nameplates. It really makes the game look soooo different when u have effects, nameplates and stuff all turned off......you can actually see what people look like!

I will make a post on their official forums to ask for more advice though, the mods seem pretty active which is nice. I got in a nice warband last night, finally had a high level slayer to guard and a couple of healers to back us up, so we wrecked people for a while which was awesome! Had about an hour of great fighting until the population got too high and I crashed :S

If I manage to stick with it for another week or two then I'll start looking for a guild. I really wanna get in some scenarios as a premade......
    Viper482
    Is the server more stable than it was a year ago? I can’t tell you how many hours were lost to rams lagging out and disappearing when I played.
    Crazy stable with little lag in these big fights, which surprises me....but.....there have been some issues lately when the server gets bombarded. A ton of people playing now, more than ever due to da rona.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    It seems like my biggest problem from 2 years ago, the amount of asshats on the server, has been solved. Started a Warrior Priest.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    cameltosis
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Is the server more stable than it was a year ago? I can’t tell you how many hours were lost to rams lagging out and disappearing when I played.

As far as I can tell, the server is pretty damn stable, not noticed any rams lagging out, and tbh hardly any lag for anyone at all.

That said

The first fortress fight I was aware of since my return bugged out and the devs reset the server as a result, so we all lost about 15 minutes of progression. However, they did reset it so that the fortress fight could be fought again and it seemed to work the second time.

Also, one other night the zone locking in T4 bugged out and the devs had to reset one zone, no rollbacks that time but it did mean the zone needed to be captured again.

Considering it's a rogue server, I have been mightily impressed with it's stability and the amount of content that is working. It's a really impressive achievement! There's also near weekly patches to fix bugs or re-add more content which is good too. There are obviously issues still, the work's not done, but enough is there to have fun.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Come on EA relaunch it as sub only.
    Gdemami
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Been playing on RoR for years now , have my Engi at 40/70 ... Game is really rocking now sooo much fun ..

Best RvR offered by far IMO
    Viper482
    Just to follow up

Turns out i was running the client in 32bit, not 64bit, hence all my crashes. Now I've made the switch, game is running like a dream! 3 hours of fun RvR tonight with no crashes, was really good fun! Successful keep defence too :-)
    Viper482
  • NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Thanks for the info,

I may try this as I never had an opportunity in its day.  

RvR is my favorite kind of pvp if I'm doing so.

I come from Asherons Call 2 so my people, Dereth, knew this as Kingdom vs Kingdom.  

We had 3 factions that could pvp: Order, Dominion, & Shadow but I digress.

Warhammer Online Is It Worth it in 2020? | Return of Reckoning

About 4:20 starts talking about the positives of it (First few seconds the video answers "yes")
    Viper482

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

edited April 2020
    Really bad population imbalance at the moment but I hear it will even out again. People tend to change realms (alts) when it gets like this, there is a 90 minute cross realm lockout.