Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please explain your PnP D&D adventures. I think we would love the stories :)

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited March 2020 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

Again trying to keep things short,

Back in the early 1980's I was stationed in upstate NY and hung around with a diverse crew of group friends in the Air Force.  One group reminded me of the "smoking gun nards from the x-files"……. They were on the top floor of Commodore 64's but they also played D&D PnP, but I never plaid much attention or at least any details about it. 

Here I am about 35 years later and now interested, I miss the nards form years back and wish I could have been more part of it.  

I now want a bald head and a plastic pocket protector for my K-mart button down shirt.  This includes the shirt must be tucked in, pants hiked above belly button, wide belt, but blue jeans to show I'm still cool anyway. 

SO: Does anyone have any great D&D friendship and game play stories ? 

Here's the guy (nard) I've been watching for beginners. 

Post edited by delete5230 on

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    just imagine if a game dev tried to incorporate these same ideas in a video game.

They would have to jot down TONS of triggers with tons of systems involved.

I am ok with that but the part where it becomes not so good is that the npc's would have to pop out of thin air rather than always being there in real time.

This is where video games surpassed the muds/board games and that is with realism and real time action/role playing.

Another example are the "checks" "saves".using my fave rpg FFXi,there is instead several aggro systems that are in play to determine aggro/encounter situations.Example stealth,visual contact,sounds,hit points,magic use,ability use etc etc.

The one aspect however that i can't think happens very often at all is the "check"to evaluating your interaction with a NPC.The way video games do it is very non immersive,you simply click the npc and they either have a scripted response, a quest to offer or in case of mobs they are either aggro or not.

So to this day 3D video gaming is just far superior but there are still things modern games lack and that is the entire feeling of "immersion".Modern games tend to just aim at "things to do" "levels to gain" "loot to acquire" rather than immersion of role playing.
    delete5230Narug

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I had the good fortune of playing PnP games like D&D and Traveler back in the late 70s and early 80s.  Our DM was brilliant and a whiz at math (went  to the Navel Academy after high school). Great times.  Was so much fun having everyone around the dining room table.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Amathe said:
    I had the good fortune of playing PnP games like D&D and Traveler back in the late 70s and early 80s.  Our DM was brilliant and a whiz at math (went  to the Navel Academy after high school). Great times.  Was so much fun having everyone around the dining room table.
    I never realized there's a correlation between math and belly buttons. Learn something new every day.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Imagine being able to use a skill at anytime anyway you could imagine.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Honestly, with a good DM, DnD is more fun than any video game. But so hard to organize.
    delete5230
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    I played a lot of DnD when I was younger. The goal always was to be as evil as possible while still playing a "Good" aligned character.

Like for example, Setting a body on fire to give it last rights, and then animating said flaming body to engage the Ogers, and pass it off as an angry god.

Fun times.. Fun time.. I still feel bad for our GM.
    delete5230
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.