Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting info on Caspien's game-dev history

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
https://www.reddit.com/r/ChroniclesOfElyria/comments/fpcpfr/as_someone_in_the_industry_who_knows_walsh_and/
Looking through that and at the links provided it seems that our Mr. Caspien was much closer to James Proctor than thought...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

PhaserlightKyleranGdemami[Deleted User]

Comments

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Extremely interesting and in hindsight totally accurate
    KyleranGdemami
  • RheanonRheanon Member UncommonPosts: 130
    edited March 2020
    The links aren't working for me. :(
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The links are  mostly forum reddit talk from some guy who says he knows of Mr.Walsh and has friends that know him and worked with him.

Also talks about Walsh being a low level coder and never finishes anything important going back many years.

Oh and perhaps important is the mention that nobody really hates MR.Walsh ,they just feel that he is a dreamer...imo a schemer lol and he truly believes in himself but to most he is simply delusional.You know sort of like Lord British thinks he is an astronaut.

Oh and he was let go...fired from his last job so i imagine that is why he started this charade,to keep himself employed.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Best thing I read there, he bought himself an expensive house and cars straight after kickstarter with his "wages" 
    [Deleted User]AlbatroesGdemamiacajoom
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Wizardry said:
    The links are  mostly forum reddit talk from some guy who says he knows of Mr.Walsh and has friends that know him and worked with him.

Also talks about Walsh being a low level coder and never finishes anything important going back many years.

Oh and perhaps important is the mention that nobody really hates MR.Walsh ,they just feel that he is a dreamer...imo a schemer lol and he truly believes in himself but to most he is simply delusional.You know sort of like Lord British thinks he is an astronaut.

Oh and he was let go...fired from his last job so i imagine that is why he started this charade,to keep himself employed.

as·tro·naut
    /ˈastrəˌnôt/
    noun
    1. a person who is trained to travel in a spacecraft.

Lord British (one of my childhood heroes) turned out to be a real douche, but the fact is, he is an astronaut, even if he paid for the privilege.
    AnOldFart
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    This classless loser is on Twitter blaming the community for losing faith.
    What a jerk.

KyleranAnOldFartGdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    don't quote this, but I do remember I did played a beta from a game called the 4th profecy, I asked for the cd and they really send the cd to me, I belive the game stayed open for 6months though lol

it was around 2000 I belive
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    I don't buy this guy is delusional or some unfortunate soul that just seems to never learn his lesson. 

This is a crook, through and through.
    Gdemami
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    I know what studio he would excel at, but he has to be related to the owner. lol
    Arglebargle[Deleted User]
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    My mate dug into the history of Caspian a bit more. There is a bunch of info on gamedev about him. Seems CoE isn't the first MMO he has personally started. This is what he found, well he found more but the stuff he started working on:

MiniMORPG -> MiniMORPG Attempt 2 -> Level-Grind Online / Programming an MMORPG in C# with XNA -> Chronicles of the Five Kingdoms -> Unnamed 3rd MMO -> Chronicles of Elyria

I don't know who thinks Level-Grind Online is a good game name, but either way. It's a lot of what the. Seems this Chronicles of the Five Kingdoms is very much like CoE. For the tiny bit he bothered doing. 

He ended saying: So, looking at Caspian's personal timeline, it's worth noting that Caspian had 3 years' post-graduate experience in the games industry before starting his design documents for a game, and that experience was all on peripheral tools, not engine work. For the next four years he failed to make three different MMOs. He goes to work on Microsoft Phone and some other stuff, and in 2015 resurfaces to start CoE, still with that same three years' experience in the field. I believe he was also doing marketing in that time before CoE?

All that stuff about him being a senior position in any job is a flat out lie. He is basically a noob with big ideas. CoE just happen to land him a ton of money off the bat. With him able to charm his way into getting more. While no doubt knowing from the start how utterly fucked he was. 

Which is probably why he just took a big fat paycheck for himself, because really why not. The community even now still defends that one point. Because his city is expensive to live in. Like that explains him getting paid AAA pay grade and people under him getting the same pay grade. 

I have no doubt in 5ish years he will pop up with another MMO under a new name and try the same thing all over again. 
    Gdemami
    Torrsk said:
    My mate dug into the history of Caspian a bit more. There is a bunch of info on gamedev about him. Seems CoE isn't the first MMO he has personally started. This is what he found, well he found more but the stuff he started working on:

MiniMORPG -> MiniMORPG Attempt 2 -> Level-Grind Online / Programming an MMORPG in C# with XNA -> Chronicles of the Five Kingdoms -> Unnamed 3rd MMO -> Chronicles of Elyria

I don't know who thinks Level-Grind Online is a good game name, but either way. It's a lot of what the. Seems this Chronicles of the Five Kingdoms is very much like CoE. For the tiny bit he bothered doing. 

He ended saying: So, looking at Caspian's personal timeline, it's worth noting that Caspian had 3 years' post-graduate experience in the games industry before starting his design documents for a game, and that experience was all on peripheral tools, not engine work. For the next four years he failed to make three different MMOs. He goes to work on Microsoft Phone and some other stuff, and in 2015 resurfaces to start CoE, still with that same three years' experience in the field. I believe he was also doing marketing in that time before CoE?

All that stuff about him being a senior position in any job is a flat out lie. He is basically a noob with big ideas. CoE just happen to land him a ton of money off the bat. With him able to charm his way into getting more. While no doubt knowing from the start how utterly fucked he was. 

Which is probably why he just took a big fat paycheck for himself, because really why not. The community even now still defends that one point. Because his city is expensive to live in. Like that explains him getting paid AAA pay grade and people under him getting the same pay grade. 

I have no doubt in 5ish years he will pop up with another MMO under a new name and try the same thing all over again. 
    Unless he is in prison for fraud ?
    Gdemami
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Ya know i hate to keep repeating it , But i warned this community not to get involved with Caspien when CoE was announced here...

But it seemed to fall on deaf ears for the most part , a waste of time/energy..

Slapshot1188[Deleted User]Gdemami
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    AnOldFart said:
    Torrsk said:

Unless he is in prison for fraud ?

Jail-time is going to depend entirely on the willingness of people to testify, not a class-action suit.  It seems far more likely to me that Caspian will simply reappear with another get-rich-scheme in 5 years or so.  If he's as clever as he seems to think he is, he'll bury his name under an alias that no one has ever heard of before.  So, he's probably very likely to deserve prison time, but will never serve a second.

KyleranGdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

I said it before and I will say it again: His history of starting projects and dropping them reminds me a lot of James Proctor.

KylerannewbismxGdemami

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I said it before and I will say it again: His history of starting projects and dropping them reminds me a lot of James Proctor.

Except for the silver tongue part. James doesn't get to raise $8 mil because he lacks the "lying in style" feat.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Gdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    funny why this never was mentioned before....

ah yes people like to belive in anything as long it apease they ego
    Gdemami
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    Has anyone from the CoE team come forward to say whether or not they were even developing a game?  How much of the game was actually coded with that $8 million?  Lots?  None?  Literally just the parkour demo?
    Gdemami
    Has anyone from the CoE team come forward to say whether or not they were even developing a game?  How much of the game was actually coded with that $8 million?  Lots?  None?  Literally just the parkour demo?
    According to the Lawsuit Discord it is stated they used an off the shelf program to make the stupid maps:
    https://www.world-machine.com/

Gdemami

According to the Lawsuit Discord it is stated they used an off the shelf program to make the stupid maps:

So what did the $8 million go towards?  Was there really a team working on this?  Did they do...anything?  Or was it all smoke and mirrors?
    Gdemami
    edited March 2020

So what did the $8 million go towards?  Was there really a team working on this?  Did they do...anything?  Or was it all smoke and mirrors?
    They apparently had Nerfgun Wars as well as multipage community journals each month.  Oh... and sales.

GdemamiKyleran

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193

Lots of teams use world machine, there’s nothing inherently wrong with that. What they did with it is the question. 

Lots of teams use world machine, there’s nothing inherently wrong with that. What they did with it is the question. 
    I believe they stated that they had to make their own tools
    Gdemami

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193

I believe they stated that they had to make their own tools
    Oh not sure. I heard they were ditching spatial and building their own networking but that’s all I know. 
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295

When maps came out, mostly everyone thought they built the engine themselves. Many were asking for them to sell it, since they were all into D&D and whatever else. SBS never replied to their requests. So while true there is nothing wrong in them using it. Why did it take them so long making the maps? 

I remember Snipe video at the time basically showing "oh this is why it's taking so long, look how detailed this is". Yeah maybe that's when you drop 4 maps and just stick with one then. 

Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Torrsk said:

When maps came out, mostly everyone thought they built the engine themselves. Many were asking for them to sell it, since they were all into D&D and whatever else. SBS never replied to their requests. So while true there is nothing wrong in them using it. Why did it take them so long making the maps? 

I remember Snipe video at the time basically showing "oh this is why it's taking so long, look how detailed this is". Yeah maybe that's when you drop 4 maps and just stick with one then. 

Why did it take so long? Perhaps because they tried using it to account for largely unnecessary and excruciatingly detailed factors such as water table flows, varying soil acidity levels per region, bee pollination patterns and the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow, yes, both African and European.

:D 

Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon