Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online Interview: Finding Balance In EVE's Economy, Ecosystem

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 5,023

imageEVE Online Interview: Finding Balance In EVE's Economy, Ecosystem

One topic that has always been up for discussion in EVE Online's New Eden is the health of its economy, and the ecosystem at large. We sat down with Snorri Árnason to discuss the topic at legnth.

Read the full story here


Comments

  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,634
    What's going on with trit? I heard some change is coming and trit will skyrocket.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,911
    An economy does seem to be a way to form a community but I never got the sense in the likes of BDO that it was doing so. Maybe it is down to the approach of the players and guilds rather than the mechanics of the game?

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,701
    This major change in moon mining materials that is coming is one of the most confusing changes ever proposed by CCP.    To start with it makes no sense whatsoever.  In a game where getting your expensive ship blown up is quite common you would think that the materials to construct them would be plentiful which they currently are.

    With the coming changes that is going to change drastically.  To top that off the asteroid belt mining is basically so poorly designed that is it laborious to mine ore from.

    Not sure where CCP is going with this, but it is a huge step backward for the players and it is going to cost them, subscribers.  In my opinion it won't make the game better in any sense of the word.
    KyleranGdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 36,029

    NorseGod said:

    What's going on with trit? I heard some change is coming and trit will skyrocket.



    Probably in reference to the change mentioned in the story last December which removed Trit from Null sec, forcing corps to buy it in Jira and haul it back out.

    No clue if it had a great impact or not, seems like a great opportunity for haulers who probably no longer have to deadhead back to Nullsec, now they can fill their holds on both legs of the trip.

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,911
    If you make a resource that was plentiful scarce, lookout for it becoming something to buy in the cash shop. That said I have no idea what's in EvE's cash shop.
    Gdemamidoomex

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Scot said:
    If you make a resource that was plentiful scarce, lookout for it becoming something to buy in the cash shop. That said I have no idea what's in EvE's cash shop.
    It's not so much that they made an item that was plentiful scarce, but that they moved where it can be obtained.

    One of the big draws of moving out of Empire controlled space in EVE Online and into the wild west known as Null Security, is that, if you have the right tools, skills, motivation and people, then you can be self sustaining within your group.

    It's like getting on a group of ships and landing on a new continent.  If you have the right combination of stuff, then you'll never need anything from the place you left again.

    But by removing the most basic component in the entire game from Null Sec, you now take that self reliance away and force people to have to travel routinely back to Empire space to procure a substance that you need in astronomical amounts.

    Not only that, but Null Security space, when properly defended and secured, is one of the safest places in the game to perform industrial activities, but "high security" is one of the worst.  It's absolutely crawling with people who will blow you up just because they see you doing industry.

    Even worse, a 2 million ISK destroyer (a very cheap and easily replaceable ship in EVE Online) can blow up a 300 million ISK mining ship in under ten seconds because mining ships have very little defense.

    So now they're forcing people to mine in high sec by the thousands, which will increase the amount of mining deaths, which will raise mineral prices even higher, which will raise ship prices even higher... it's a vicious cycle.

    We could see tritanium and ship prices skyrocket over the next few months due to this change and that won't be a factor that's good for keeping players in game or attracting new players to the game when they see how expensive everything is.
    GdemamiScot
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 36,029
    edited March 31
    H0urg1ass said:
    Scot said:
    If you make a resource that was plentiful scarce, lookout for it becoming something to buy in the cash shop. That said I have no idea what's in EvE's cash shop.
    It's not so much that they made an item that was plentiful scarce, but that they moved where it can be obtained.

    One of the big draws of moving out of Empire controlled space in EVE Online and into the wild west known as Null Security, is that, if you have the right tools, skills, motivation and people, then you can be self sustaining within your group.

    It's like getting on a group of ships and landing on a new continent.  If you have the right combination of stuff, then you'll never need anything from the place you left again.

    But by removing the most basic component in the entire game from Null Sec, you now take that self reliance away and force people to have to travel routinely back to Empire space to procure a substance that you need in astronomical amounts.

    Not only that, but Null Security space, when properly defended and secured, is one of the safest places in the game to perform industrial activities, but "high security" is one of the worst.  It's absolutely crawling with people who will blow you up just because they see you doing industry.

    Even worse, a 2 million ISK destroyer (a very cheap and easily replaceable ship in EVE Online) can blow up a 300 million ISK mining ship in under ten seconds because mining ships have very little defense.

    So now they're forcing people to mine in high sec by the thousands, which will increase the amount of mining deaths, which will raise mineral prices even higher, which will raise ship prices even higher... it's a vicious cycle.

    We could see tritanium and ship prices skyrocket over the next few months due to this change and that won't be a factor that's good for keeping players in game or attracting new players to the game when they see how expensive everything is.
    Err, only badly fit mining ships are getting popped in high sec.

    Well tanked Skiff isn't getting popped by 10 such Destroyers. Shitfit Hulk...yeah, you are going down.


    Erillion

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 832
    Haven't been able to play this game in years, the launcher just errors out... happened on multiple macs now.
  • krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 118
    rip for null sec miners lol were pulling half our stations down as they dont even cover drill fuel now so great job ccp and seriously there is very few areas in eve were null sec is even remotely save for long periods of time they should say the truth. they want people plexing more and making there isk less which is what they have been pushing for since they added plex.
    Kyleran
Sign In or Register to comment.