Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Chris Spears says about SotA Steam #'s

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
In case anyone still cares:  For a long time, defenders of SotA have been saying that only a very small portion of players use the Steam Client and that Steam numbers are in no way reflective of the true population of the game.  Here's the truth, as told by Chris Spears himself.  Under Q2 2020: Second quarter vision:

"Steam purchase options: Currently between 1/3rd and 1/4th of our player base plays on steam BUT we make them jump through a lot of hoops to purchase things on our website."

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/shroud-2020-vision.161221/

Here's the Steam numbers, in case anyone is interested in doing a little math:

https://steamcharts.com/app/326160
[Deleted User]

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have no idea how or why it stays open.Lord British sure seemed to be making games strictly for money when he was doing Tabula Rasa and this game although it is ok is a far cray from a AAA mmorpg.

I assume there are some rich people and are friends of his that keep it running because i cannot see this making any money at all.

At the same time,i see some really bad to low effort games making a lot of money so it sure seems to be more about luck and just copying a popular trend than about making quality games.Example....Animal Crossing,seriously are we 4 years old now or the trendy battlegrounds type games that took about 4 months and 3 people to make.

It really also shows how risky and costly it is to even attempt to make a mmorpg,it has to be REAL good and real popular and cut corners everywhere to turn a profit.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    DMKano said:
    Even at 1/3rd it 1/4th playerbase on steam - those numbers are abysmal. 

I'm honestly surprised that he addressed the numbers publicly.  Maybe he's willing to be a lot more forthcoming than when others were in charge with Port.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    So? If they can keep running and the players that like it are happy who cares? This is what niche ends up being. I played DFO and Rise of Agon with low numbers but didn’t care because I actually enjoyed the game. 

It’s like everyone in here is out to destroy every game ever made because it doesn’t tickle your fancy. Get over it. 
    [Deleted User]
    So? If they can keep running and the players that like it are happy who cares? This is what niche ends up being. I played DFO and Rise of Agon with low numbers but didn’t care because I actually enjoyed the game. 

It’s like everyone in here is out to destroy every game ever made because it doesn’t tickle your fancy. Get over it. 
    You seem upset.  Maybe these forums where we actually discuss things both pro and con aren't for you.  You might be better off on the official forums or Discord for your favorite MMOs, where things tend to be more rosey.  When does discussing a game and its population mean you're out to destroy it?  Hell, if SotA turns things around with the new owner, I may even give it a shot again.
    Gdemami

You seem upset.  Maybe these forums where we actually discuss things both pro and con aren't for you.  You might be better off on the official forums or Discord for your favorite MMOs, where things tend to be more rosey.  When does discussing a game and its population mean you're out to destroy it?  Hell, if SotA turns things around with the new owner, I may even give it a shot again.
     If you that is being upset I feel sorry for anyone who has to live with you lol. 

If you that is being upset I feel sorry for anyone who has to live with you lol. 
    Relax guy, no one here is destroying any games.
    Gdemami

Man calm down I’m not your wife. 

Man calm down I’m not your wife. 
    Relax, guy.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Who knew no new blood would join a game after release, if you can call their state "released," after their P2W crowdfunding... oh wait I knew that.

It was exactly the same road COE was walking except their incompetence made attracting new blood post-launch a moot point.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I agree 100% with what you are saying,if a game is fun for you ,great enjoy.

That doesn't mean someone else can't give their opinion on a game,does it?

Just because someone gives their opinion and says a game has a garbage business model or is sub par in design,doesn't mean they want that game to close down ..lol.

It is like a lot of people want to live in a bubble,tell me only positive things,build up my ego,tell me how great i am and how great every choice i make is.FAKE people and i don't like fake people.

If someone wants to say WHY a game is better than what others think it is,go ahead state your case,but don't just belittle others opinions because they are not of your own or don't adhere to that bubble way of thinking.

Dude i play FFXI,you think that game is on the most popular lists,i bet you can't even find it on the Steam charts.The game offers me a LOT that i like but of course has many flaws because all games are designed as a business and not with total passion.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    That number is crazy low. I wonder how much longer this game can stay alive.
  • paco_magillicuddypaco_magillicuddy Member UncommonPosts: 36
    In case anyone still cares:  For a long time, defenders of SotA have been saying that only a very small portion of players use the Steam Client and that Steam numbers are in no way reflective of the true population of the game.  Here's the truth, as told by Chris Spears himself.  Under Q2 2020: Second quarter vision:

"Steam purchase options: Currently between 1/3rd and 1/4th of our player base plays on steam BUT we make them jump through a lot of hoops to purchase things on our website."

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/shroud-2020-vision.161221/

Here's the Steam numbers, in case anyone is interested in doing a little math:

https://steamcharts.com/app/326160
    He claimed this on a live stream a few month ago too...see the forum post here titled Portalarium lets real player numbers slip