Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blast from the past

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
edited March 2020 in Chronicles of Elyria
Below is the link to a famous forum post.  Despite various suggestions through the years it was not my post he responded to.  At this time I didn't even have a forum account there.   But reading his responses you could see the smug arrogance and it became apparent that he was either utterly incompetent or outright lying.   THIS is the post that turned me from a skeptic to a Harbinger.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/7030/no-longer-backing-coe?page=5#post71247
Since the forums were closed I was able to use an open tab on my browser to click snapshots for posterity:
Gantt-1
Gantt-2
Gantt-3
Gantt-4

The same concerns that brought down the studio in 2020 are the ones discussed in this post around the time of the Kickstarter.  Note the part where he again confirms that the seed round money ($900k) was enough to get them to a fully working game able to be shown to VCs. 8 million dollars later, couldn't even come close to Alpha let alone something nearing feature complete status.  We got a low-rez parkour demo.

Edited the purpose of the 900k to accurately reflect what was stated.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Post edited by Slapshot1188 on
GdemamiYashaX

Comments

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Below is the link to a famous forum post.  Despite various suggestions through the years it was not my post he responded to.  At this time I didn't even have a forum account there.   But reading his responses you could see the smug arrogance and it became apparent that he was either utterly incompetent or outright lying.   THIS is the post that turned me from a skeptic to a Harbinger.

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/7030/no-longer-backing-coe?page=5#post71247

The same concerns that brought down the studio in 2020 are the ones discussed in this post around the time of the Kickstarter.  Note the part where he again confirms that the seed round money ($900k) was enough to get them to feature complete Alpha. 8 million dollars later, couldn't even come close to Alpha let alone something nearing feature complete status.  We got a low-rez parkour demo.

No matter how much anyone would like to read this, the forums at COE appear to be down.  I guess with all the pollen in the air today, reading *might* cause even more harm to my eyes.  I suppose I should be thankful for that small blessing, regardless.  Slinking off into the night has an unexpected benefit.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Mendel said:

The same concerns that brought down the studio in 2020 are the ones discussed in this post around the time of the Kickstarter.  Note the part where he again confirms that the seed round money ($900k) was enough to get them to feature complete Alpha. 8 million dollars later, couldn't even come close to Alpha let alone something nearing feature complete status.  We got a low-rez parkour demo.

No matter how much anyone would like to read this, the forums at COE appear to be down.  I guess with all the pollen in the air today, reading *might* cause even more harm to my eyes.  I suppose I should be thankful for that small blessing, regardless.  Slinking off into the night has an unexpected benefit.

I was able to fix that :)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115

The same concerns that brought down the studio in 2020 are the ones discussed in this post around the time of the Kickstarter.  Note the part where he again confirms that the seed round money ($900k) was enough to get them to a fully working game able to be shown to VCs. 8 million dollars later, couldn't even come close to Alpha let alone something nearing feature complete status.  We got a low-rez parkour demo.

A low rez demo of which they didn't write a single code of it (apart for the shitty texture).

That's what they probably used.

For the whopping grand total sum of $ 26.89.

So the question is...where is the rest of the $8 Million.

I actually think the real reason they shut the game, it's because someone pointed out that what they were showing was a Mod made by someone else not by them, like they tried to imply.
    I guess the shit was about to hit the fan, so Caspian decided to cut the losses, so to speak.

GdemamiYashaX
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    TEKK3N said:

A low rez demo of which they didn't write a single code of it (apart for the shitty texture).

That's what they probably used.

For the whopping grand total sum of $ 26.89.

So the question is...where is the rest of the $8 Million.

I actually think the real reason they shut the game, it's because someone pointed out that what they were showing was a Mod made by someone else not by them, like they tried to imply.
    I guess the shit was about to hit the fan, so Caspian decided to cut the losses, so to speak.

I think it was essentially 3 things.

1. I believe their big land sale Settlers of Elyria/ Doman Selection was irrevocably broken.  I think the data was corrupted.  All the money that was spent buying specific virtual domains and the data underlying those were changed and they couldn't figure out how to get it back.  People were starting to notice that what was listed was not what they purchased and posting that their populations, professions, resources, and sustainability were all changed.

2. From what I heard their big parkour demo was another utter disaster. 

3. I think he realized that all the time spent on developing his Spatial OS replacement was a failure. He was talking about searching for a replacement for the replacement.

Now, I have no proof of that, to be clear it is mostly supposition, but it's what I have heard and read and it makes a lot of sense to me.  Something pushed him to suddenly throw in the towel.  It sure wasn't COVID-19
    GdemamiYashaX

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited March 2020
    Well now, did I call it or what, COE forums shut down today within hours of the Discord.

I'll bet it was my post on the COE forums inviting his former fans to visit us here that pushed him over the edge.

I have the power!  

:D 
    GdemamiYashaX

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Kyleran said:
    Well now, did I call it or what, COE forums shut down today within hours of the Discord.

I'll bet it was my post on the COE forums inviting his former fans to visit us here that pushed him over the edge.

I have the power!  

:D 
    I'm sure I can invite others here from the communities

• acajoomacajoom Member UncommonPosts: 5
    I noticed their forums were down and wondered.
    The whole website will go down sooner or later.
    AnOldFart