Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria, it is finished.

Comments

• DeveronDeveron Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Ungood said:
    Deveron said:
    Kickstarter’s terms of use make clear that companies are legally obligated to fulfill the promised rewards or provide consumer refunds. On the website it states: “When a project is successfully funded, the creator must complete the project and fulfill each reward. Once a creator has done so, they’ve satisfied their obligation to their backers.”

taken from: https://www.atg.wa.gov/news/news-releases/ag-makes-crowdfunded-company-pay-shady-deal

This here could be a similar case, since the project was not completed, no rewards were delivered and there’s currently no intention of completing the project nor giving out refunds.

But we’ll know for sure in a few days, as this is being looked into by folks more versed in legalese already. 
    That';s nice, but if you were part of the Kickstarter, you should have read the TOS before you jumped in.

From Kickstarter TOS itself.

If a creator is unable to complete their project and fulfill rewards, they’ve failed to live up to the basic obligations of this agreement. To right this, they must make every reasonable effort to find another way of bringing the project to the best possible conclusion for backers. A creator in this position has only remedied the situation and met their obligations to backers if:
    • they post an update that explains what work has been done, how funds were used, and what prevents them from finishing the project as planned;
    • they work diligently and in good faith to bring the project to the best possible conclusion in a timeframe that’s communicated to backers;
    • they’re able to demonstrate that they’ve used funds appropriately and made every reasonable effort to complete the project as promised;
    • they’ve been honest, and have made no material misrepresentations in their communication to backers; and
    • they offer to return any remaining funds to backers who have not received their reward (in proportion to the amounts pledged), or else explain how those funds will be used to complete the project in some alternate form.
    The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers.

So.. in short.  They can fail, and fail miserably, as long as they failed transparently.

Which, for all he may have done wrong, Caspian, has  been transparent in this entire clusterfuck of a project, I have to give him that, which is why so many got to see the clusterfuck unfold before them.

Well, that’s where we obviously disagree, as I don’t see any checks on that list. 
    Gdemami
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Deveron said:
    Ungood said:
    Deveron said:
    Kickstarter’s terms of use make clear that companies are legally obligated to fulfill the promised rewards or provide consumer refunds. On the website it states: “When a project is successfully funded, the creator must complete the project and fulfill each reward. Once a creator has done so, they’ve satisfied their obligation to their backers.”

taken from: https://www.atg.wa.gov/news/news-releases/ag-makes-crowdfunded-company-pay-shady-deal

This here could be a similar case, since the project was not completed, no rewards were delivered and there’s currently no intention of completing the project nor giving out refunds.

But we’ll know for sure in a few days, as this is being looked into by folks more versed in legalese already. 
    That';s nice, but if you were part of the Kickstarter, you should have read the TOS before you jumped in.

If a creator is unable to complete their project and fulfill rewards, they’ve failed to live up to the basic obligations of this agreement. To right this, they must make every reasonable effort to find another way of bringing the project to the best possible conclusion for backers. A creator in this position has only remedied the situation and met their obligations to backers if:
    • they post an update that explains what work has been done, how funds were used, and what prevents them from finishing the project as planned;
    • they work diligently and in good faith to bring the project to the best possible conclusion in a timeframe that’s communicated to backers;
    • they’re able to demonstrate that they’ve used funds appropriately and made every reasonable effort to complete the project as promised;
    • they’ve been honest, and have made no material misrepresentations in their communication to backers; and
    • they offer to return any remaining funds to backers who have not received their reward (in proportion to the amounts pledged), or else explain how those funds will be used to complete the project in some alternate form.
    The creator is solely responsible for fulfilling the promises made in their project. If they’re unable to satisfy the terms of this agreement, they may be subject to legal action by backers.

So.. in short.  They can fail, and fail miserably, as long as they failed transparently.

Which, for all he may have done wrong, Caspian, has  been transparent in this entire clusterfuck of a project, I have to give him that, which is why so many got to see the clusterfuck unfold before them.

Well, that’s where we obviously disagree, as I don’t see any checks on that list. 
    File a claim if you think he violated the contract then.

I wish you good fortune.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Wizardry said:
    I think we can't forget that we can't "shit on a game"it is an entity not a personable being.It is just computer code,the only people we look at are the people directly responsible for the product.

The person in charge is pretty much always to blame,they are in control of their employees,the products,how the community is addressed etc etc.

So Caspian had an idea,what that involved exactly nobody knows but him.I however have my opinion and that is he saw what was happening,how EASY it was for developers to get crowd funding so jumped aboard figuring....what can i lose....nothing.So he figured if this works,awesome,i am well paid,self employed for years to come.

I personally do not think these guys have a choice,they either figure out some con job to make money to survive or they go work for someone else.So he went for the semi con job,semi meaning we really don't know his entire intent.

I am sure he can find employment in the field,just as the ever failing Smedley has but his personal adventures will likely never happen again.
    By "Shit on a Game" I mean to directly shit post against the development of a distinct game, either towards the developers directly, towards the company, or towards the work itself that is being done, or not done as the case may be.

So as opposed to using all those words.. I kept it simple and said "Shit on the Game"

I hope we can have a communal understanding of that phrase from here going forward.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    As a general rule I hate to see any game fail. But this one was so obviously not going to succeed, I feel like it failed already long ago.
    TokkenGdemami

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DeveronDeveron Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Ungood said:
    Deveron said:
    Ungood said:
    Deveron said:

File a claim if you think he violated the contract then.

I wish you good fortune.
    I did. Thank you and stay healthy!
    GdemamiUngood
    xD_Gaming said:
    Ungood said:
    Deveron said:

SO in you opinion, the epople who created the gofundme for the homeless man who gave the girl a 20 shouldn't have been charged in fraud for keeping the money and not giving tot he homelessman, which later turned out to be in on said fraud ? 

Precedence has already been written  from that gofundme homeless case. It is the ground work of investigating fraud in crowdfunded capcity.

What I'm wondering is why are you defending CoE so hard, pointing out every little crevus of detail in kickstarter rules ? Really sticking out like a soar thumb in this mmorpg community right now. Who are you ? 

even your user name seems to pooint out in some perverse "no one will notice" way you are in some capacity "in" on this fraud. Who are you ?
    Tin Foil Hat Much?

I am not defending COE, that is just the TOS everyone signed when they joined Kickstarter. If anything, I am encouraging people to know what they are signing before they sign it.

As I said to you before, unlike some people, I have encouraged you to file your claim. 

If you are going to cast your suspicions at anyone, it should be those that are telling you not to bother.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    I get all the outrage and at the same time i don't. You know what you signed up for when you support a KS. I've only ever supported one myself, but i understand it may never make it to launch. I accepted that risk.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Absolute utter incompetence.

These idiots not only thought it was a good idea to make a MUD but couldn't even make one and cancelled it. Along with everything else.

I feel pretty vindicated for pointing out multiple times how garbage everything surrounding this project was.

Also LOL @Gdemami who has zero credibility and acted like he knew anything about game design when this utter dumpster fire burned to the ground. All those LOLs at completely valid criticism and here we are proving you and Caspian are clueless, incompetent, and both know about as much about game design as a monkey who just stuck its finger up its own ass then picked its nose.

I'm right there with whoever said they hope Caspian gets sued into homelessness.

Pathetic.

Slapshot1188UngoodEponyxDamorMightyUncleanGdemamiWBadger[Deleted User][Deleted User]Mendel

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    edited March 2020
    Ungood said:

Let's leave that to the lawyers, not some random guy who's been posting nonsense for the first half of his mmorpg.com career
    Slapshot1188Gdemami
    edited March 2020
    Nilden said:

I'm right there with whoever said they hope Caspian gets sued into homelessness.

Pathetic.

I'm one of them; no money invested, but it's the blood, sweat, and orange juice I invested that justifies me wanting to see him be the first developer to get a life sentence for being dogshit at his job.
    Gdemami
    OrangeBoy said:
    Ungood said:

Let's leave that to the lawyers, not some random guy who's been posting nonsense for the first half of his mmorpg.com career
    Wow, did ya all hear that.. posting on a forum now is a carrier.. yah, you might want to leave the logic to the lawyers.

edited March 2020
    Ungood said:
    OrangeBoy said:
    Ungood said:

Wow, did ya all hear that.. posting on a forum now is a carrier.. yah, you might want to leave the logic to the lawyers.

Thank you, that's all I ever wanted; leaving it all to the lawyers. Old dogs can learn new tricks.
    OrangeBoy said:
    Ungood said:
    OrangeBoy said:
    Ungood said:

Thank you, that's all I ever wanted; leaving it all to the lawyers. Old dogs can learn new tricks.
    LOL. Yah.. I know. Telling people to read the shit they sign was so wrong of me. For that, please accept my humble apologies for even suggesting such nonsense.

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    Damn.

I'm not surprised though. No working engine and a KS is doomed to fail.

Maybe they should try this one?

https://github.com/dmacka/MultiverseClientServer

I know, I know... Old engine but this one can do what they wanted to do.

Gdemami
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited March 2020

8M and nothing to show for it. Dude made a killing. This is why I don't like EA/KS games. You cant do anything about it if they suddenly just say "Thanks for the money but we are done now. no game, bye!"

It makes me think about SC. Some of The SC supporters are more wrapped up than COE supporters were because they have given far more money and there is an actual working alpha. 

I know people get so worked up because of how much they have spent on these games. But if one can step back and actually view it from a logical standpoint, take emotion out the equation, it becomes much easier to see. After a decade and 200M only having a buggy alpha (yep still buggy logged in last night) is a red flag that SOMETHING is amiss. They keep asking for money.

I hope the people affected find work but I also hope this practice of EA/KS/CF games making AAA millions with little to no promise fulfilled stops after this. 
    Post edited by klash2def on
    GdemamiDeveron
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    It's been a few interesting days watching the discord. People not caring about NDA. Mods giving even less of a fuck. Caspian snapping and removing all his mods, while acting like they fuck up. Yet being too stupid to remove them from the forums. Just when you think he couldn't throw anymore people under the bus. 

While a lawsuit server has been made, which who cares that about itself. All the other leaks/info coming out on it. I really like the one about a community member called Violet that supposedly flew out to Caspian to fuck him. Even the mods admitted they weren't allow to mod anything she did. Good times.
    Gdemamialkarionlog
  • mrneurosismrneurosis Member UncommonPosts: 314
    How to get rich these days? kickstart a MMO and then bolt with money. lol
    Viper482
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Only $8M, what a total amateur Caspian was. Real mmorpg pros like Mark Kern and Curt Schilling blew through 10 times as much money
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Shaigh said:
    Only $8M, what a total amateur Caspian was. Real mmorpg pros like Mark Kern and Curt Schilling blew through 10 times as much money
    Don’t put those two into the same category as caspian. This guy literally did nothing. 
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Shaigh said:
    Who are they?  Did they take player backer money or private investor money?
    Gdemami
  • acajoomacajoom Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Are their official forums down as well now ?
    If I go to https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum it redirects me back to the root.

Is it just me ?

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    acajoom said:
    If I go to https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum it redirects me back to the root.

Is it just me ?

They were shut earlier today with no notice.
    Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• acajoomacajoom Member UncommonPosts: 5
    acajoom said:

Is it just me ?

They were shut earlier today with no notice.

Thanks for the reply, I think it is better if people post elsewhere other than the official forums cause I knew they would take the site down anyway and all those posts would be lost from the internet.
    Gdemami
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited March 2020
    LMAO, i told yas  when this was announced not to pay it any mind that it was insignifigant shit , Caspian  and his cronies never had a chance , Im just surprised so many fell into followed and wasted there energy on it ..

Haopefully we can put this one to rest now ..
    Gdemami
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Scorchien said:
    LMAO, i told yas  when this was announced not to pay it any mind that it was insignifigant shit , Caspian  and his cronies never had a chance , Im just surprised so many fell into followed and wasted there energy on it ..

Haopefully we can put this one to rest now ..
    Until the next grand vision comes along and asks for out money.