Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Doom Eternal Review: Hell on Earth

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageDoom Eternal Review: Hell on Earth

The day we've been waiting for has finally come: Doom Eternal is here and we're ready to let you know what we think. Read on for our full review!

Read the full story here

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    REALLY late,we have already watched many streamers and or played it ourselves so a review at this point is just well ,what's the point?
    Should have got Bethesda to send your free copy a few weeks ahead of time so you could play it and review while it is still fresh and not after it has already flown the coop.

It has already fallen to #29 on Twitch and i don't see any of the big name streamers playing it anymore.
    Is it good,well so so,the up close animations get old fast,typically i guess it is was you would expect fro ma DOOM game.I started with all the Doom's and Quake's,Hexen's back in the day and even still the game barely held my interest for long.
    What i gathered watching streamers is their main idea of fun was finding all the secrets and not so much the game play.
    strawhat0981

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

Wizardry said:

REALLY late,we have already watched many streamers and or played it ourselves so a review at this point is just well ,what's the point?

Should have got Bethesda to send your free copy a few weeks ahead of time so you could play it and review while it is still fresh and not after it has already flown the coop.

It has already fallen to #29 on Twitch and i don't see any of the big name streamers playing it anymore.

Is it good,well so so,the up close animations get old fast,typically i guess it is was you would expect fro ma DOOM game.I started with all the Doom's and Quake's,Hexen's back in the day and even still the game barely held my interest for long.

What i gathered watching streamers is their main idea of fun was finding all the secrets and not so much the game play.

Twitch numbers mean nothing unless it's a multiplayer focused game, which Doom Eternal is not. It fell to 29 because all of the big streamers that were playing it, beat the game and are done with it. Doom campaigns usually have very little reason to replay unless you are going for collectibles or a harder difficulty.

Also you don't really like shooting games, you only really like Atlas and FFXI so I don't think Doom is really the game for you.
    SovrathMaddog666TacticalZombehinfomatz
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    I liked 2016 more, but Eternal is still pretty great.
    Sovrath
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Reading through the Steam reviews, it sounds like all the people who are blind fanboys love the game.  The rest who play it for quality gameplay make it sound like a parkour-esque game which severely limits your ammo so you have to constantly melee......

I'm feeling like this 9.0 is based on the OP being a fanboy......

I won't ever know since I am not going to shell out $60 for what's most likely a medicore experience that I could get elsewhere for less.
    john25301strawhat0981
  • SeaAndSandSeaAndSand Member UncommonPosts: 15

crankked said:

Reading through the Steam reviews, it sounds like all the people who are blind fanboys love the game.  The rest who play it for quality gameplay make it sound like a parkour-esque game which severely limits your ammo so you have to constantly melee......

I won't ever know since I am not going to shell out $60 for what's most likely a medicore experience that I could get elsewhere for less.

I never finished Doom 2016, as good as it was. It was a fun game, but I'm not a diehard, and I mention that to say that Eternal is a great game. They made some very deliberate design decisions that changed the feel somewhat compared to 2016 which is I think where some people have issues. Instead of spamming rockets or your super shotgun in most encounters like 2016, this game requires you to vary your tactics based on the enemies you're facing and to use all the tools you have available to come out on top. I can totally see why some people do not like that.

All that said, it is parkour-y, but it's an arena-style shooter. You're never supposed to stop moving. If you run out/low on ammo, you have to get in close and use your chainsaw to replenish. If you've ever been a fan of any of those arena shooters like Quake or Unreal Tournament, this game deserves a try. However you seem to have a bias against it for some reason, so maybe it's not your style.
    Celciussupx2
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    crankked said:

It all depends on what the person trying to play it is looking for. It severely limits ammo to make more use of the chainsaw mechanic which you can use by just pushing one button. It also is designed in a way to make you switch weapons way more often instead of getting max ammo on one gun 24/7 and just using that one weapon. The jumping mechanics sure are a bit of a different take on the formula but I can't see why people would be that mad about it. 

Blind fanboys seem to be a significant majority based on what you are saying.

There are currently 28,400 reviews on steam of which only 2,742 are negative. 

A 91% positive review metric is insanely good. I don't think it's as divided as you think. 
    TacticalZombehSovrathjohn25301
    I'm not bashing the game.  Just noting what I read on Steam going through the reviews.

And, to be fair, this is the exact type of game gets cult followings where most of the people will look past tons of flaws because it's 'DOOM'.......
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    edited March 2020
    Game is absolute perfection and an evolution of the genre if you ask me...except Marauders; those are the worst. Also pretty funny seeing people who clearly have some kind of agenda against the game calling the people who enjoy it fanboys. Seriously if you don't want to play it, don't play it. The reality is that most people who have played it love it and that is an objective fact. People can like the things you don't like!
    SeaAndSandTacticalZombehjohn25301
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    crankked said:

Because It's not possible to love the game unless you are a blind fanboy?

You're so wise!
    CelciusTacticalZombehsupx2john25301
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • SeaAndSandSeaAndSand Member UncommonPosts: 15

Celcius said:

Game is absolute perfection and an evolution of the genre if you ask me...except Marauders; those are the worst. Also pretty funny seeing people who clearly have some kind of agenda against the game calling the people who enjoy it fanboys. Seriously if you don't want to play it, don't play it. The reality is that most people who have played it love it and that is an objective fact.

People can like the things you don't like!

I agree about Marauders. I don't know who thought they were a good idea. Their ridiculous movement and QTE-like mechanics to fight are just bad and ruin the flow of big battles.
    Celcius
  • NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    edited March 2020

Wizardry said:

Thank you for your perspective. The only thing you forgot to include is how FFXI does some thing better then DE does it, since that seems to be the standard you compare EVERYTHING to lately .... ;)
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    I havent played this one yet, but I kind of wish DOOM would expand into other genres. For instance I think it would be great as an ARPG.
    strawhat0981
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    crankked said:

Didn't you just post the total opposite point of view in another thread? LMAO

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 542
    This game is my personal favorite game of 2020 so far. I played the 2016 version and also thought it was amazing, but Doom Eternal is just way better, be it; more complicated.

This is a thinking man's shooter.

Ammo starts off low (you can upgrade your ammo capacity later in the game) so you have to chainsaw demons to get ammo back.

To get health; you have to stagger the demons and melee finish them.

To get armor; you flamethrower them and kill them. Armor starts flying out.

Some guns work better then others on certain demons, so its beneficial to keep swapping your weapons.

All this, while trying not to get killed by all the demons. Its very adrenaline pumping. Doing my first playthrough on ultraViolence.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    APThug said:
     Doing my first playthrough on ultraViolence.

john25301Nyghthowler
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    NorseGod said:
    crankked said:

Didn't you just post the total opposite point of view in another thread? LMAO

Maybe?  Where was this ironic opposite post I made?  

Maybe I was drinking and wasn't thinking clearly.....?
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    I used to play the old Doom games back in the day and they were great at that time.

Then came Unreal Tournament ( UT99 ) along and never looked back. This is still one of the my most played games of all time (alongside BF1942).

I personally just have grown tired and bored of the Doom gameplay. The new games of course look 100 times better, but underneath its still the same tired gameplay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    A rehash of Doom is not worth $60.  It is still Doom.  
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I wish I could play this. I used to love these shooters and played the crap out of the original Doom, Quake, Half Life, etc. but these days at my age I just find the action too frantic.

I used to be shooter lover like you but then I took a BFG to the knee.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• david324david324 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    On the Netgear Genie application, you need to sign in to your Netgear switch by entering the Netgear switch login administrator mystery key that is your login administrator secret key and thusly tapping on the LOGIN button. Resulting to executing each progression referred to on the site netgearsetup.com the far off admittance to the Netgear switch is then enabled.