Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which indie MMORPGs do you still think have a shot at seeing release someday?

2»

Comments

• CuddleheartCuddleheart Member UncommonPosts: 391
    I know we won't be seeing Chronicles of Elyria...

Ouch.  That's a sick burn on the people who spent thousands on land and kickstarter packs.
    borghive49
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Crowfall probably, maybe Ashes of Creation too. The rest of them will either never launch or launch or launch some crappy, bugged filled, janky mess of a game and just label it a work in progress.

I've been burned by so many early access and kickstarter projects over the years that I won't put into anything until it reaches a playable, stable and fun state. 

I am personally just sick of all the false promises, failed projects and the general hubris so many of these indie developers show. They are all basically snake oil salesman to me at this point. 
    How did we ever believe that the developers of games like COE and Camelot Unchained could do so much with shoestring budgets and small teams?  Things that large studios didn't even attempt.  Who was more delusional, the developers or us?  I guess to answer that question, we only need look at the direction the money flowed.
    borghive49AlBQuirky
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Not a single one I'm willing to put money into until it actually releases. I'm not buying hopes and dreams I want an actual playable game. Been burned too many times now and there are way too many actual released games I could purchase instead.
    borghive49delete5230NorseGod

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Nilden said:
    Not a single one I'm willing to put money into until it actually releases. I'm not buying hopes and dreams I want an actual playable game. Been burned too many times now and there are way too many actual released games I could purchase instead.
    Yep, literally thousands of released, complete games to be had on Steam.  Maybe not MMOs, but we all know that the genre is dead as far as new development goes.  Want an MMO experience?  Best to turn to one of the many, older AAA options still available.  Might be the same old thing, but at least they're quality.
    borghive49Nilden
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Large scale battles can be done in Unity/Unreal/Lumberyard etc, 
    Yeah? Never seen hundreds PvPing in games using those engines.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    The ones playable now.  So Project Gorogn & Gloria Victis.

Project Gorgon I've played

Gloria Victis I haven't

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

Narug said:
    The ones playable now.  So Project Gorogn & Gloria Victis.

Project Gorgon I've played

Gloria Victis I haven't
    I guess add Crowfall to the list.
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Iselin said:

Disclaimer: I have backed none of these nor any other. I just don't do crowdfunding.

:blush:
    SovrathIselinAlBQuirky
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    NorseGod said:
    Iselin said:

Disclaimer: I have backed none of these nor any other. I just don't do crowdfunding.

:blush:
    Not a single one...ever. Never bought a loot box either. My mama din't raise no foo.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Nilden said:
    bingo !!!!

SoL..... It's built 100% by passion, developers part time obligated their waking free time to the cause, this surly showed in all their actions.... It was truly being built with love.

Eventually they asked for an extremely low donation to alpa test. They insisted on giving the player something......

ULTIMATE RESPECT FOR THIS TEAM.
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    I bought Saga of Lucimia about 3 years ago and Project Gorgon at the time when it was popular on this site.

Reasonably sure they will launch at some form. 

I know you said MMORPGs only, but I would still add Star Citizen as it is just a giant among crowdfunded projects. I think that unless the money stops flowing in, which seems to be unlikely, it will release eventually. 
    You can easily get hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of Project Gorgon, despite its graphics, and despite it being "alpha". 

The same for Star Citizen. 

I picked up PG on Steam, and I backed the SC on Kickstarter. Absolutely got my money's worth in both cases, and I'm highly anticipating the final version of SC/Squadron 42, however they end up. 

As far as our game goes, thanks for the support :) Hopefully you've had fun over the past few years and have been able to see the slow-but-steady progress we've made over the years to where we are today :) 

Stage Three kicks off at noon this upcoming Friday (April 3rd) and we can't wait for the latest round of backers to jump in and join the community. It's been an incredible journey to get to this point. 

While the whole CoE thing has people nervous about "crowdfunded" games, I'd like to remind people that we aren't a crowdfunded game :) We started out self-funded, then moved to investor-funded in 2017, our pre-orders have never been more than a barrier of entry for those who just want to "play" games as opposed to test, and we have had more than enough cash to get us to the finish line since last year. Everything we've been earning since January of this year has been to hire the rest of our polish staff to start adding polish and optimization to the game. 

Coronavirus hasn't slowed us down, so far. We literally just brought on three more investors in March (one of the checks hit the bank on Friday, the rest this upcoming Monday), and signed ink on several major new deals the week before last that we can't wait to share with everyone in some upcoming press releases :) 

This, despite the claims from some that we will "never launch" or that our team of inexperienced developers will "fail". 

The finish line ain't far now, at least in comparison to the last six years our team has put in. 

Thanks for your support!
    [Deleted User]KyleranYashaX
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
    edited March 2020
    DMKano said:
    Renfail said:

This, despite the claims from some that we will "never launch" or that our team of inexperienced developers will "fail". 

You still haven't launched - anything could happen - so there is always a chance for unpredictable failure, unexpected resignations, deaths etc... life has a way of throwing curveballs that can totally wreck the best plans.

So don't count your eggs before they hatch, sure you intend to launch and sure you intend to not fail - but speaking so assuredly about them before they happen - hehe

The best laid schemes o' mice an' men...

And yet if you do things properly, and plan accordingly:

You have life insurance policies for key executives, so that if someone has an unexpected death there are funds to hire a replacement. 

You have a clear line of succession so that if, for example, I were to pass, the torch goes on to John, and then from there, with all files/books/outlines/game design documents/etc. backed up in triplicate to ensure that if such an event were to occur, the game would go on. 

You have backup plans and funding for unexpected resignations, and contract requirements for individuals in key positions. 

You stockpile funding for moments like the coronavirus so that you can maintain your staff and yes, even HIRE NEW STAFF, while others are laying everyone off. 

You maintain wise accounting and intelligent budgeting to ensure that the launch of your game is confirmed in any and all scenarios. One of the reasons investors are happy to work with us: our launch is already confirmed and we have had enough money in the bank to make it all the way to our launch window (and beyond) since 2019. 

The only thing that could stop us would be a worldwide shutdown of the Internet. Which theoretically could happen, but it would not be OUR fault if such an event would occur. Otherwise, we and we alone control our destinies, and we've ensured that, regardless of hell or high water, our game will come out :) 

YashaX
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Renfail said:
    I bought Saga of Lucimia about 3 years ago and Project Gorgon at the time when it was popular on this site.

Reasonably sure they will launch at some form. 

I know you said MMORPGs only, but I would still add Star Citizen as it is just a giant among crowdfunded projects. I think that unless the money stops flowing in, which seems to be unlikely, it will release eventually. 
    You can easily get hundreds of hours of enjoyment out of Project Gorgon, despite its graphics, and despite it being "alpha". 

The same for Star Citizen. 

I picked up PG on Steam, and I backed the SC on Kickstarter. Absolutely got my money's worth in both cases, and I'm highly anticipating the final version of SC/Squadron 42, however they end up. 

As far as our game goes, thanks for the support :) Hopefully you've had fun over the past few years and have been able to see the slow-but-steady progress we've made over the years to where we are today :) 

Stage Three kicks off at noon this upcoming Friday (April 3rd) and we can't wait for the latest round of backers to jump in and join the community. It's been an incredible journey to get to this point. 

While the whole CoE thing has people nervous about "crowdfunded" games, I'd like to remind people that we aren't a crowdfunded game :) We started out self-funded, then moved to investor-funded in 2017, our pre-orders have never been more than a barrier of entry for those who just want to "play" games as opposed to test, and we have had more than enough cash to get us to the finish line since last year. Everything we've been earning since January of this year has been to hire the rest of our polish staff to start adding polish and optimization to the game. 

Coronavirus hasn't slowed us down, so far. We literally just brought on three more investors in March (one of the checks hit the bank on Friday, the rest this upcoming Monday), and signed ink on several major new deals the week before last that we can't wait to share with everyone in some upcoming press releases :) 

The finish line ain't far now, at least in comparison to the last six years our team has put in. 

Thanks for your support!
    Pretty amazing how investors start to line up at the door once a team can show discernable progress, playable builds along with a viable monetization model, all of which SBS and some other teams seem unable to deliver.

You are doing well Tim...but you are still quite late...a point you conveniently overlook, but at least you share your immediate plans for the road ahead. 

Which the cynic in me feels that more for marketing purposes at the moment, but we'll see how it goes.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Pretty amazing how investors start to line up at the door once a team can show discernable progress, playable builds along with a viable monetization model, all of which SBS and some other teams seem unable to deliver.

It's really just about setting realistic goals and being responsible with funding. 

The reason SBS wasn't ever able to land investors is multifold.
    KyleranYashaX
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    edited March 2020
    Well, AoC just had (yesterday) their alpha one preview livestream. Haven't seen the whole thing yet, I'm planning to do so tomorrow, but from a few summary vids, it looks quite good.

Seems that now that the BR silliness is behind us, the MMO is progressing nicely! Let's see when the testing begins...

Here's a quick summary:

And here's the livestream (2h long):

(In case the embedded vid doesn't work, it's on twitch .tv / videos/576876729)

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Renfail said:
    Kyleran said:

It's really just about setting realistic goals and being responsible with funding. 

The reason SBS wasn't ever able to land investors is multifold.
    I'll buy you game if you cut off that ridiculous hair.

Kyleran
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Pantheon IMO has the most solid vision I trust in. Brad did a great job of getting them in a direction. I have full confidence in the team getting this one to port. Seems too many Indy MMOs can't keep a direction that make sense. Ashes of Creation is one I would call a mess. I wish AoC would would give Pantheon their funding. It's the only thing they seem to have going for them.
    This game is one I have been following for a little while now. Seems to be coming along pretty well. 

https://www.profa.ne/
    Err...you wouldn't be trying to sneak a FFA PVP game by us, would you Blue? This "murder others" tends to be a bit of a dead giveaway.

Be whoever
    you want!

On Profane you can choose
    what kind of player you want
    to be. Murder others, be
    a merchant, a defender
    of the law, or a pirate.
    The choice is yours!"

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I think they all release early unfinished buggy broken shit
    NorseGod
    Scorchien said:
    I think they all release early unfinished buggy broken shit
    Oh, I see, like a Bethesda game....

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    This game is one I have been following for a little while now. Seems to be coming along pretty well. 

https://www.profa.ne/
    Subscribed to their newsletter. Looks pretty good but never heard of it and I’ve got no clue how far in development they are despite their gameplay video. Nice find!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer