Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which indie MMORPGs do you still think have a shot at seeing release someday?

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
I thought we all needed a bit of a pick me up after COE finally met its inevitable fate so here's my list of the ones I think still have a solid chance.

Feel free to add your own and tell us why you think it can.

• Crowfall: I think this one is the most likely to survive. They keep plugging along at a nice, steady pace.
  • Pantheon: Brad's untimely demise was surely a setback but this one is also moving along.
  • Ashes of Creation: I thought their attempt to cash in on the BR craze was very ill advised and set them back a few months but they're also progressing steadily. Best looking one of the bunch. Good art direction.
  • Camelot Unchained: Yeah I know. Weird side project and all they're doing it the right way by building the engine first. We could use a beta right about now though. PvP with hundreds on screen? Give me some of that.
  • Saga of Lucimia: slowly but surely they're showing game play video. That's more than many others have done. Realistic modest goals. Moving along too.
Disclaimer: I have backed none of these nor any other. I just don't do crowdfunding.
"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

AsheramNorseGod

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Ship of Heroes. 
    AsheramKyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited March 2020
    Gloria Victis

They are not only continually improving and adding stuff to their mmo such as mounts and the current patch adding even more https://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791436552712/announcements/detail/1801943084153753301

Now they are helping another small dev team "FishTankStudios" create a single player game that is linked to the GV world.
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/1167140/Gloria_Victis_Siege/

Kudos to you Black Eye Games.

https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/487913/gloria-victis-seige#latest
    Iselinstrawhat0981
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Crowfall has a playable game, I mean, it would feel little chunky and awkward, but they could release today if they wanted to, and just finish off the details as they went along.

So I am 100% sure Crowfall will be going live soon.
    Kyleranborghive49
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

I believe there is a chance that Pantheon will succeed. They aren't doing anything new or crazy. The engine for what they plan is pretty fair and simple and worst case scenario they could just draw back some of the bells and whistles if they wanted and release a standard MMO with their vision in mind.

It's more problematic when it comes to MMO's promising a world of new possibilities. PVP games are even tougher in this aspect as balancing PVP ontop of it is a trick onto itself.

That being said. What happens after it is released will remain to be seen. But judging by the fact that Project1999 exist and is doing fine suggest to me there is a niche market for Pantheon if nothing else.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    It feels like we have had these threads for years lol
    YashaX
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Project: Gorgon.
    Asheramborghive49Narug
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Project: Gorgon and Gloria Victis are both good and will be around a long while. 
    borghive49
    Project: Gorgon and Gloria Victis are both good and will be around a long while. 
    I bought Gloria Victis access a while back but never loaded it up.  Is that the PvP game?  How difficult is the combat?  Shows like 300 players on Steam.
    edited March 2020
    I bought Gloria Victis access a while back but never loaded it up.  Is that the PvP game?  How difficult is the combat?  Shows like 300 players on Steam.
    Its pvp centric kind of, the combat is like mount and blade but with a stamina bar (why I dont get into the pvp much as M&B and stamina dont mix) if you haven't even downloaded it you shopuld at least do so once esp seing as you bought it.

There is pve content too and good crafting so at least try it if you already bought it.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Asheram said:
    Its pvp centric kind of, the combat is like mount and blade but with a stamina bar (why I dont get into the pvp much as M&B and stamina dont mix) if you haven't even downloaded it you shopuld at least do so once esp seing as you bought it.

There is pve content too and good crafting so at least try it if you already bought it.

Can one chose to PvE exclusively, or do those that wish to focus on PvE remain open to attack from other players?
    Asheram said:

Can one chose to PvE exclusively, or do those that wish to focus on PvE remain open to attack from other players?
    yes there are safe zones
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Asheram said:
    Asheram said:

yes there are safe zones
    Thank you for your response.

That the game is PvP-centric, and immunity from that is confined to safe zones, suggests the amount of PvE one can engage in without risking player attack may be somewhat limited. I'll see if I can find details on that.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Kumapon said:

I believe there is a chance that Pantheon will succeed. They aren't doing anything new or crazy. The engine for what they plan is pretty fair and simple and worst case scenario they could just draw back some of the bells and whistles if they wanted and release a standard MMO with their vision in mind.

It's more problematic when it comes to MMO's promising a world of new possibilities. PVP games are even tougher in this aspect as balancing PVP ontop of it is a trick onto itself.

That being said. What happens after it is released will remain to be seen. But judging by the fact that Project1999 exist and is doing fine suggest to me there is a niche market for Pantheon if nothing else.

With the current crisis looming over everything Pantheon has a much increased risk of failure as they quite likely will run out of money before the game launches, same as what happened to COE.

Crowfall has the best shot of launching,  even CU is looking unlikely as they need their side project to be successful enough to raise funds to complete the original game which looks to be still years away in terms of remaining work to be done.

Oh yes, SC, for all purposes it has launched in an early access form, they will likely release a finished version of the single player game which will drive funding to complete the greater MMO.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Camelot Unchained

Mostly because its the only indie mmo that I'm following so its the only one I'm actually educated about. I think their approach to MMO design is great, and I think building their own engine is definitely the right way to go in order to achieve massively multiplayer numbers.

Ofc, still disappointed about all the delays, but they've been open about them all and still seem to have investment money coming in. I also feel like they've done pretty much all of the "hard" stuff and are now moving onto the easier things, so I'm expecting the final year of development to proceed much more rapidly.

Plus, im back playing WAR: RoR and so my desire for more modern RvR is higher than ever, so im not particularly objective right now lol
    Iselinborghive49
    Player numbers matter less than people think most of the time. Don’t obsess over that and just download and try it. Seriously. You already paid so you’ll either like it and play more or you’ll know you don’t like it. 
    Asheram
    edited March 2020
    Player numbers matter less than people think most of the time. Don’t obsess over that and just download and try it. Seriously. You already paid so you’ll either like it and play more or you’ll know you don’t like it. 
    I remember now why I never downloaded it after I bought it.  I found out that it has really intricate combat, with directional attacks and directional blocking.  I'm awful at that stuff.  I bought it on a whim without doing enough research.

Shit I just realized that I derailed the post.  Sorry.
    I remember now why I never downloaded it after I bought it.  I found out that it has really intricate combat, with directional attacks and directional blocking.  I'm awful at that stuff.  I bought it on a whim without doing enough research.

Shit I just realized that I derailed the post.  Sorry.
    Nah you didnt derail anything. GV has a stamina bar so I think you would like it better than if it had straightout  warband combat. Plus I have been able to to avoid any pvp despite having donated to their alpha 3 years ago. You really should download it and try it before you judge it, you will be able to learn the combat on a.i. mobs rather than being thrown into pvp. I myself prefer warband mp without stamina combat as thats way more twitchy. You should really at least try it once, just kill mobs in starter areas and learn the crafting stuff.
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited March 2020
    Saga of Lucimia #1 by far, 
    For some reason this site gives very little credit from both posting community and this site developers..... It's coming along GREAT, I'm not sure what's involved with their NDA so I don't say near what I would like to say. 

<edit>
    Just searched this site and it does have it's own forum finally.  I hate the new search navigation system.  Seems a mess.  

" Being built with Passion ".... Most ever, NDA or not I'm saying that !

Pantheon I lost all respect,
    That news letter burns my butt.... I'ts a display of all talk no action.   Theirs always the outside chance the game is doing well in the back round and their kept in total secret....... But this secret is pissing on millions of donations, 

" PASSION IS OUT OF THE PICTURE"...... Their displaying money grab !

Project Gorgon I'm assuming Great !
    About a year ago it was very rough around the edges to play and half done.  However I see HUGE promiss, and my understanding it came a long way.... I'll give it another try soon or wait a little more..... To bad you have to turn into a cow, I hate that shit. 

" Full passion "

Reign of Darkness #2 by far,
    Another one this site will give no credit to.  Their building just one QUALITY ZONE along with several dungeons, then more quality zones one by one after that, They say hold off awhile, needs more time. Bug free, but needs content. Supersizing this style of development is unique, because it works well.  It's not a bug filled mess because of it. 

" Full passion " 

PvP,
    Several and I don't care about e-sports.
    Post edited by delete5230 on
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Project gorgon is in a playable state just needs more meat to it but the devs are updating it reguarly
    So my vote goes to PG :)
    Crowfall is also supposed to be almost done but I haven't really followed that one so I cant say for sure
    immoralthang
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I've no idea why you or anyone might think making the game engine is the right decision in a crowdfunded project that is inherently lacking in resources.

Because Unity and store assets won't handle hundreds on screen at once in very large PvP battles.

If you're going to make a game where that is the main feature you either make your own engine or bullshit everyone telling them you can do it with Spatial OS or some other off the shelf engine.
    YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    I still hope that City of Titans (City of Heroes wannabe) gets finished and released. I did back it, but not sure if I'll play it long.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

Iselin said:
    I've no idea why you or anyone might think making the game engine is the right decision in a crowdfunded project that is inherently lacking in resources.

Because Unity and store assets won't handle hundreds on screen at once in very large PvP battles.

If you're going to make a game where that is the main feature you either make your own engine or bullshit everyone telling them you can do it with Spatial OS or some other off the shelf engine.
    Spatial is a networking solution, not an engine. Unity is capable of more than people give it credit for. I think most judge it because they see a terrible developer make a shitty game with it. 

I do agree that you are not going to get anywhere with store assets though. 

So why change? It’s an excuse as to why you haven’t produced anything yet. 3-4 years in and nothing to show? “Hey guys we were so close but spatial is to expensive” or “x engine isn’t good enough, so we are now developing our own”

it’s just a scam. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:

Spatial is a networking solution, not an engine. Unity is capable of more than people give it credit for. I think most judge it because they see a terrible developer make a shitty game with it. 

So why change? It’s an excuse as to why you haven’t produced anything yet. 3-4 years in and nothing to show? “Hey guys we were so close but spatial is to expensive” or “x engine isn’t good enough, so we are now developing our own”

it’s just a scam. 
    COE was a scam. CU set out right from the start to create their own engine that is all about large numbers of players on screen at once and told everyone that was what they were doing even on the KS page:

Tech Director and lead programmer Andrew Meggs is spearheading the creation of our internal Unchained Engine. It’s sole purpose: to allow our players to fight epic RvR battles in a dynamic world, without the slideshows or limitations of many past games. 

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

it’s just a scam. 
    COE was a scam. CU set out right from the start to create their own engine that is all about large numbers of players on screen at once and told everyone that was what they were doing even on the KS page:

Tech Director and lead programmer Andrew Meggs is spearheading the creation of our internal Unchained Engine. It’s sole purpose: to allow our players to fight epic RvR battles in a dynamic world, without the slideshows or limitations of many past games. 

I’m not even sure how this conversation got to where it is.  
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    Crowfall probably, maybe Ashes of Creation too. The rest of them will either never launch or launch or launch some crappy, bugged filled, janky mess of a game and just label it a work in progress.

I've been burned by so many early access and kickstarter projects over the years that I won't put into anything until it reaches a playable, stable and fun state. 

I am personally just sick of all the false promises, failed projects and the general hubris so many of these indie developers show. They are all basically snake oil salesman to me at this point. 
    AlBQuirky