Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria, it is finished.

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
edited March 2020 in Chronicles of Elyria
The long awaited State of Elyria message came out today, with Caspian stunning the backers by shutting the doors.

It's a strange documentary of events which lead to this statement, and he closes pledging to hopefully continue on "someday," perhaps with a smaller "Kingdom of Elyria" built by volunteer efforts.

"But to our great sadness.... with the failure of Settlers of Elyria, and five long months of only limited crowdfunding revenue coming in, Soulbound Studios has officially run out of money. Last night I was forced to do something I never thought I'd have to do. I closed the online store, put the SoE map back into read-only mode, and laid off all the employees..."

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/34919/state-of-elyria-into-the-abyss

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

BruceYeeBrotherMaynard[Deleted User]TokkenAmatheOctagon7711[Deleted User]

Comments

• ZeekPlayzZeekPlayz Member UncommonPosts: 27
    And did I not tell you so?
    Tokken
  • rathalas22rathalas22 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    I felt that they were deceitful when they announced the original KS was just for the demo far after the KS closed. As much as I dislike Caspien, I do have sympathy for the employees that were let go. 
    KyleranDeveronTokkenOctagon7711
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    That "project" was a cash grab from the start cant say im shocked they can deliver a game
    TokkenGdemamiViper482
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    $8 million dollars and they put out a parkour demo, then close shop.  Where did that money go?  Into whose pockets?  We can only guess.  But someone got very rich off of this.

And this, folks, is why we shouldn't crowdfund MMORPGs, or in my opinion, anything at all.
    HatefullAnOldFartBrotherMaynardbcbullyboris20[Deleted User][Deleted User]Gdemamiborghive49klash2defand 1 other.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited March 2020
    In b4 Kano comes to inform us that CU is next  <3

About CoE though didn't they pull in millions from Crowdfunding? There's no way they burned through all of it, right?
    BruceYee said:

About CoE though didn't they pull in millions from Crowdfunding? There's no way they burned through all of it, right?
    Turns out parkour tech demos take about $8 million to make.
    BruceYee
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I feel sorry for the folks who just lost their jobs.  I feel sorry for the people that invested a lot of money in the early days (not so much those who refused to learn).

Some of you have PMed me thinking I would be gloating.  Not at all.  It's just sad. 

If he hadn't branded us Harbingers and actually listened instead of surrounding himself with the Ivory Tower I honestly think this fate could have been averted.  A year or so ago he should have taken the opportunity to reset expectations.  Instead, he ramped them up.

This isn't a fun day.  It's utterly sad.

DeveronKumaponAnOldFartScotKyleranSovrath[Deleted User]Gdemamitweedledumb99Wellspring

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DeveronDeveron Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Funny how he goes on to blame the backers that were left for it. What an arsehole. 
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    BruceYee said:

Turns out parkour tech demos take about $8 million to make.
    I get the joke but I seriously doubt an indie team working for 5 years can burn through 8mil. What I want to know is if the crowdfunded funds were used to buy a million dollar house or two. Remember when McQuaid(Rip) took 40k Pantheon funds for "medical expenses" and everyone lost their shit? When will there be the same outrage for a few million?
    Gdemami
    You know what's scary?  Some people in the comments of the official post are still hopeful that the game will come out one day.  This just demonstrates the level of delusion that is created in the backers of some of these games.
    Slapshot1188Kyleran[Deleted User]Gdemamiklash2defSabrac
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    Its sad because I hoped to see such an innovative idea come to life.

But as creating the "walking skeleton" (with the core features to which you add the "flesh") wasnt possible within 5? 6? years it was pretty clear this will happen soon.

I bet CU will follow soon (as much as I hope it wont) as they also fail to get at least the core features finished.

Thinking about that the last 20% will take 80% of the time and we're not even close to this point its just a matter of time.
    Everyone which works in software development knows this and those guys (caspian, mj) should know it too and should have done something about it long time ago.

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    I think what pisses me off the most is that I did not see him take responsibility.  It was his decisions and mismanagement that led to this.  He got double the budget he said he would need to fully develop, test and launch the game.  He never even made it to alpha. When he had the chance to reset and lower expectation he didn’t.  Instead he spent something like a year developing stupid maps (4 of them of course because 1 would have been the rational way).  

I re-read that twice.  Maybe I missed it but I don’t even think he fucking apologized.

He should never lead a company again.  Ever. 

BrotherMaynardMendelGdemamiSabracWellspring

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Caspian said:
    [...]
    As a result, we began developing CoE from the "ground up". We implemented character creation, character management, and all the above adventuring mechanics because "hey, everyone has to move around, use skills, and survive right?" That mindset drove the largest part of development because that's the way games have always been developed in the past. Get the core game loop down, focus on the things that will impact the most people, and polish those first.
    [...]
    That’s where he failed and stopped developing a MMO. A MMO basically is “just” networking and database operations. That’s what would have been developing from the “ground up”.

As long as they had access to SpatialOS and the short time after they dropped it (or were dropped) he claimed they would just develop their own backend, his narrative went in the same direction.

Suppose he’s been spinning shit for so long, that he himself doesn’t know where he is anymore. 
    Gdemami
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    And so it ends, not with a bang but a whimper.

But no apologies, no taking responsibility for all that has happened? Not very good and even less wow. Shame on him, sad indeed for all those involved.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    KyleranGdemami
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

That’s Caspian for you. Always putting the blame on others for his own shortcomings. He did so with contractors, did so with his own employees and now that nobody’s left, he puts it on his backers. This was to be expected. 
    Gdemami
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    ───────────────────████▒────────────────
    ────────────────▒████████───────────────
    ──────▓▒───────▓██████████─────────▓▒───
    ────▒██▒──────▒████████████──────▒██▒───
    ──▓████───────██████████████───▓████────
    ──█████──────███████████████───█████────
    ──█████──────████████████████──█████────
    ──█████─────▒████████████████──█████────
    ──█████─────███████░─▒███████░─█████────
    ──█████─────██████─────███████─█████────
    ──█████────░██████─────███████─█████────
    ──█████────▒█████───────██████─█████────
    ──█████────▓█████───────██████─█████────
    ──█████────≈██████─────███████─█████────
    ──████████▒─██████─────███████─████████▒
    ──████████──███████≈─░███████░─████████─
    ──████████──▒████████████████──████████─
    ──███████▒───████████████████──████████─
    ──███████≈───███████████████───███████≈─
    ──███████─────██████████████───███████──
    ──████▒───────▒████████████────████▒────
    ──▒░───────────███████████─────▒▒───────
    ────────────────▒████████───────────────
    ──────────────────█████▒────────────────
    KumaponRich84

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Well that was no surprise.
    I'm glad I had given up on it tbh... 

What I think is s***, he knew it was going this way, but opened SoE and sold stuff this last month knowing he was about to fail... 
    Slapshot1188MendelGdemami
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Well... I doubt I could add more different from my massive rage post on the forums. While I could see this coming, I'm just left with more questions over anything else. If SBS needed money that much, why not just start this stupid event at 45% off. Try get in as much money as possible. While telling the community they are going under? 

I'm sure Caspian is sitting on a nice amount of money. While everyone else is up shit creek. I don't know how it went from, making over a million last year. To being completely out now. Like.. how is someone that made a fucking failure? What skills does he even have to fail this much and never learn?
    AnOldFartGdemami
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    The only question I have is, has anyone seen any evidence of a company? Other team members? People actually doing something? I don't mean a picture of a "board room" with the Unreal Marketplace Parkour Pack playing on projector, I mean something REAL?

Just curious.
  • mymmomymmo Member UncommonPosts: 311
    Zzzz to all dr doom n gloom that are patting themself on their back for having guessed right. 

What a shame they couldnt delievere. Hope the ones that lost their job will be ok
    Slapshot1188
    Eve online and +1500 steam games in the back cataloge makes me a stressed out gamer.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    And nothing of value was lost.
    I like to complain about games.
  • GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644
    edited March 2020
    Over 8 Million Real money was lost ? 

i think that has value hahahahahah

you must have 10 X  8 million dollars to think 8 million is ~Nothing of Value~ hahahahahah
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374
    The drama was all entertaining but this...this is just sad.  And irritating.   The lack of taking responsibility for this farce from Caspian even in the end puts him right on the level of Jason Appleton and GreedMonger for me.  Both incompetent and promising things well beyond their own capabilities.  

More importantly, the talk about investors compromising his artistic vision of the game frustrates me as well because of how obtuse he is.  Of course investors and publishers will ask for changes!  Anything to get the game out faster so that they can get their money back.  They don't want to sit there for ten years with their hand out going "Alright, you going to pay me back now?"  If you were not willing to change your plans to suit the people who are willing to front the majority of the funds, then you should not have made any plans based off of getting those and then blast through all of your kickstarter funds.

This is why publishers are necessary evils.  The sad truth is that developers are ADD monkey divas who need a whip cracked for them to stay focused and get things done, so that they don't go years with the only thing to show being "Oh...uhh...did we do anything this year to further the game development?  Well....let's do another sale."
    ScotKyleranGdemami
  • TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    WBadger said:

This is why publishers are necessary evils.  The sad truth is that developers are ADD monkey divas who need a whip cracked for them to stay focused and get things done, so that they don't go years with the only thing to show being "Oh...uhh...did we do anything this year to further the game development?  Well....let's do another sale."
    The weird thing is, Caspian turned the game so completely pay to win anyway. He added more and more items that went against his ideals in the first place. So really, why the hell didn't he just sign with one of them in the first place? 
    Unless it's because if the worse case happened, he wanted to line his pockets. 

This auction event has been running for around a week. Now did his employees know it was coming to an end before today? Did they have a few weeks notice? If they did, why have this last sale? Personally it what annoys me the most. I have dealt with the fact my money was gone. Not upset over that. With how I waste money on other crap, not like it was a lot to me. But this last move. Straight up a cunt move. 
    AnOldFartGdemami
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    The economic turndown we are experiencing will expose any company with weaknesses, hard to say how much that affected them here but they have been going for years so rather a coincidence if it had nothing to do with that.

The decision to suddenly veer off and make a voxel version of the game was what first really concerned me, but I still thought they would get something out just not the grand vison they were selling.

The video release was strange, I did not realise is was so close to another "land issue". That sent out the wrong message, you need to see the concept of domain in action if you are expecting people to buy virtual land and titles, not a demonstration of parkour.

This is a bad time to lose your job but that's when most people lose them, hopefully their staff land on their feet.

Kyleran