Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who else is super hyped about this game?

Comments

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    I'm hyped with the recent changes to the game (i.e., not forcing PVP on PVE folks) and hyped that Amazon is behind this (they're not idiots).  I'm hoping this is the hardcore PVE game I've been looking for.  It's time to leave WOW behind and to jump on something else.
    May I ask how you define hardcore pve? It may mean different things to different people, I think.

I am also asking because I am curious what it is you are expecting from this game. I am still kinda trying to figure out this game’s identity.
    Very good question.  Hardcore PVE is PVE that is so challenging and penalizing (if you die) that you are as wary of stepping outside a settlement than you would be in a hardcore PVP game.

Ex.  early Everquest was somewhat like that.  The penalty for dying was like 20% of a level's worth of experience (ouch) and you'd drop your gear with your corpse and had to run naked all the way back to get it.  If you were in a dungeon, that could be very problematic if your group disbanded.  The fear and dread of dying translated to the fear and dread of dungeons, which is as it should be--it should be scary to go down into a dark dungeon.

And for cross-wilderness journeys, those could take an hour and run through some very high-level zones.  Therefore, folks tended to group up a bit more, and in grouping up, tended to socialize and bond.  Also, the zones you were too fearful to visit were the ones that allowed your imagination to run wild as to what was in them.  Very immersive.

Not saying New World will be hardcore like that, but hoping!
    I remember one character of mine in Everquest hitting level 21 four times in one hour. 
    I actually hated losing levels due to death, especially so if it was because of some idiot griefer kiting a giant into other people. Then the pain in the a** corpse run to retrieve your gear. 
    Probably the most annoying part of that game for me.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    Because it was designed PvP in mind and they changed mind this close to release, it will be sorely lacking in depth and content for PvE. That's my thought on the matter anyway.
    Mendelbcbullybiaxil
  • drakaiserdrakaiser Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I just assumed this was going to be a more polished version of Gloria Victis from the short game play footage I've seen, seemed interesting albeit less so now without the PVP aspect. Worth keeping an eye on just to see what they can pull out of the bag, definitely not pre-order material though.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    hupa said:
    Because it was designed PvP in mind and they changed mind this close to release, it will be sorely lacking in depth and content for PvE. That's my thought on the matter anyway.

Let's not forget that any new PvE content they do make will have almost no testing.  If I ever do get into this game, it will be at launch + 1 year, minimum.  I hope a year will be long enough to shake out most of the glaring errors.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    I don't know enough to be hyped.  I have played a lot of Pvp games, but to be honest, they keep screwing them up, making certain classes way OP, too much CC, and shallow systems that a 1st grader can figure out how to exploit (territory, castles etc...).  So I think I may be done with them for a while, been playing them since Ultima Online.  So I am probably more interested in it now, than I was before.  I will be waiting on more info, as I cannot figure out exactly what it will and wont be.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    I am curious what people are expecting from this game.. I mean the alpha was really nothing more then your standard survival game like conan exiles or ark just with a larger world and more people around.   
    Kyleran
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I am curious what people are expecting from this game.. I mean the alpha was really nothing more then your standard survival game like conan exiles or ark just with a larger world and more people around.   
    Well, while I hope they put in a ton of PVE in the future (dungeons, etc...), right now I'm just looking for a place to hang my hat.  If I can be a free-willed adventure (free of questlines/storylines) and just wander about, carrying my sword, and smoking a pipe while telling tall tales, then that'll be enough to start.
    This. Everybody keeps talking about game features while many are just looking for a world to live in. An actual world, something survival games have, and MMORPGs haven’t, been delivering for many years now.

With its increased scale and player numbers New World is making the transition from survival game to MMORPG seemingly giving me a world to live in, still a day one purchase for me.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Iselin
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    lahnmir said:
    Well, while I hope they put in a ton of PVE in the future (dungeons, etc...), right now I'm just looking for a place to hang my hat.  If I can be a free-willed adventure (free of questlines/storylines) and just wander about, carrying my sword, and smoking a pipe while telling tall tales, then that'll be enough to start.
    This. Everybody keeps talking about game features while many are just looking for a world to live in. An actual world, something survival games have, and MMORPGs haven’t, been delivering for many years now.

With its increased scale and player numbers New World is making the transition from survival game to MMORPG seemingly giving me a world to live in, still a day one purchase for me.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    A world where all live in harmony, so pretty.
    Putrefee
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • XsarecXsarec Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    Can't wait for the release....
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    being pvp myself and playing the alpha for while.. im not that intrested in this game.

Like above poster already said.. making a pvp game to a pve is a no go.

combat was very static during alpha aswell.. this might have changed tho
    bcbully
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    Looks like a glorified Conan Exiles so far.
  • ErevusErevus Member UncommonPosts: 135
    edited February 2020
    evilized said:
    It's a real shame they backed away from open pvp. Hopefully they will at least do open pvp servers. There are currently 0 open pvp games in operation with any sort of budget behind them, and there is, in fact, a market for this type of game. Crowfall and CU are the only other 2 on the horizon with any sort of hope behind them, but New World had the survival/crafting aspect which would have made things interesting.

And before someone accuses me of being some noob ganking savage, I like to do my own thing and mind my own business - I'm more likely to leave another player alone or help them out. With that said, I like the ability to make things happen when they need to - like if someone moves into a spot and starts taking resources/mobs that I have been actively hunting, they are going to move on or they are going to die. I also enjoy the element of danger that comes with open pvp, settling into a grind spot and never having to look over my shoulder for threats is horribly boring. 

I understand what u want, but opt/in to PvP does not change that.
    If u want to game in a continuous alert state which grants you that state of immersion,
    then u should try battle arenas and skip the MMORPG section.

A game doesn't have to fit in to your shoes but quite the opposite.
    That's why there are so many variations of games out there.

The thing that really bothers you is that you want this game (because of Amazon and the hype abt it) to fit your needs and follow your gaming likes.
    [Deleted User]bcbully
    "Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know, that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom. (Death)”
    ― Terry Pratchett,

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    evilized said:
    It's a real shame they backed away from open pvp. Hopefully they will at least do open pvp servers. There are currently 0 open pvp games in operation with any sort of budget behind them, and there is, in fact, a market for this type of game. Crowfall and CU are the only other 2 on the horizon with any sort of hope behind them, but New World had the survival/crafting aspect which would have made things interesting.

And before someone accuses me of being some noob ganking savage, I like to do my own thing and mind my own business - I'm more likely to leave another player alone or help them out. With that said, I like the ability to make things happen when they need to - like if someone moves into a spot and starts taking resources/mobs that I have been actively hunting, they are going to move on or they are going to die. I also enjoy the element of danger that comes with open pvp, settling into a grind spot and never having to look over my shoulder for threats is horribly boring.
    Yes the games were you can be "killed" and lose all your stuff whilst logged of are basically glorified browser games e.g. Stronghold Kingdoms. Just don't complain and use the feeble excuse that you were logged off when you were hit.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    "Why don't big studios make open pvp games?! There's a market for them!" 

They do. Almost every other game genre is pvp. 
    [Deleted User]
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    barasawa said:
    I'm hyped with the recent changes to the game (i.e., not forcing PVP on PVE folks) and hyped that Amazon is behind this (they're not idiots).  I'm hoping this is the hardcore PVE game I've been looking for.  It's time to leave WOW behind and to jump on something else.
    May I ask how you define hardcore pve? It may mean different things to different people, I think.

I am also asking because I am curious what it is you are expecting from this game. I am still kinda trying to figure out this game’s identity.
    Very good question.  Hardcore PVE is PVE that is so challenging and penalizing (if you die) that you are as wary of stepping outside a settlement than you would be in a hardcore PVP game.

Ex.  early Everquest was somewhat like that.  The penalty for dying was like 20% of a level's worth of experience (ouch) and you'd drop your gear with your corpse and had to run naked all the way back to get it.  If you were in a dungeon, that could be very problematic if your group disbanded.  The fear and dread of dying translated to the fear and dread of dungeons, which is as it should be--it should be scary to go down into a dark dungeon.

And for cross-wilderness journeys, those could take an hour and run through some very high-level zones.  Therefore, folks tended to group up a bit more, and in grouping up, tended to socialize and bond.  Also, the zones you were too fearful to visit were the ones that allowed your imagination to run wild as to what was in them.  Very immersive.

Not saying New World will be hardcore like that, but hoping!
    I remember one character of mine in Everquest hitting level 21 four times in one hour. 
    I actually hated losing levels due to death, especially so if it was because of some idiot griefer kiting a giant into other people. Then the pain in the a** corpse run to retrieve your gear. 
    Probably the most annoying part of that game for me.
    Dying in EQ was surely annoying, but the threat and fear of dying made the rest of the game come to life.  Equipping for those journeys to the next zone was always kind of exciting to me, mostly due to the uncertainty.

I think the best way to look at a death penalty in a game is it's like "peaks and valleys".  You have to have deep valleys to truly appreciate the peaks, just like you have to have Mondays to truly appreciate Saturdays.
    I respect how you feel.

For me, it's a game not a job.. fuck Mondays.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    The fact that this game is due to release in 2 months time, with little to zero information out there is quite amazing, they plan to just throw all the information in the last few weeks to build up the hype

i just hope the best for the development, can't believe it's just a matter of 2 months before we all can enter the world of Aeternum! 
    [Deleted User]

So What Now?

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Utinni said:
    "Why don't big studios make open pvp games?! There's a market for them!" 

They do. Almost every other game genre is pvp. 
    He said open pvp.
    biaxil[Deleted User]
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    For me curious is the right word.

• phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    lunatis said:

Voice chat is proximity based and group based. Don't run around screaming hail satan.

Why what's the problem?
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 228
    evilized said:
    It's a real shame they backed away from open pvp. Hopefully they will at least do open pvp servers. There are currently 0 open pvp games in operation with any sort of budget behind them, and there is, in fact, a market for this type of game.
    Stop and ask yourself why that is, then you'll understand why Amazon is 180ing to a more pve-centric game.  Of course, creating a large amount of quality PvE content in a few months is a monumental task and I don't think any studio even with a limitless budget could do it, so my expectations for this as a solid PvE title are very low unless they delay this game for probably a good year.  I guess we all lose in the end.

newbismx
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Im a huge fan of PvP but I'm also a huge fan of dungeon crawls. Not sure this game has enough PvE or PvP in it. The opt out PvP system can really mess up the community and then no dungeons, really? I get modern MMOs dropping raids but dungeons are at the heart of most MMOers. The combat looks sick and I love how you can master many play styles on one char. I have mixed feelings about this. 
    YashaX
  • NakazatoJLNakazatoJL Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    So far I am moderately hyped with everything I have seen, I just hope they improve the world PVP by making you always PVP active in enemy territory (toggle on neutral or ally territory is great and prevent gankers) so you can at least protect farming spots on your own territory.
    [Deleted User]YashaX
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Nanfoodle said:
    I get modern MMOs dropping raids but dungeons are at the heart of most MMOers. 
    TBH, my experience with instanced MMO dungeons in recent years has kind of soured me. Running a new one with a chill group can be fun but more often than not they're toxic speed runs since they've become just a grinding mechanic for gear and other rewards.

I think the open world grouping for things like Rift invasions, which New World PvE reminds me of, if done well, could be more fun than 4 or 5 man repetitive instanced dungeon running.

I have an open mind about this game and am interested but all we have to go on ATM is old alpha videos and rumors about the current version. I'll watch it carefully next month after the NDA drop and make up my mind then.
    YashaX
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• zacho56zacho56 Member UncommonPosts: 53
    DrunkWolf said:
    everything sounds good and fun, but i just cant let myself get hyped anymore about games coming out. been let down way to many times.

Will need to play the beta to see.
    I know the feeling. It's like hype-burnout. So many promising games have been lost due to incompetence, greed and mismanagement. It's quite sad really..
  • ayndreayndre Member UncommonPosts: 10
    zacho56 said:
    DrunkWolf said:
    everything sounds good and fun, but i just cant let myself get hyped anymore about games coming out. been let down way to many times.

Will need to play the beta to see.
    I know the feeling. It's like hype-burnout. So many promising games have been lost due to incompetence, greed and mismanagement. It's quite sad really..

If nothing else, I'd just hope that Amazon's massive amount of funding which made sure they hired experienced game developers, will set New World aside from the rest of failed new MMOs.