Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG recommendations please

boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
Hello all, like many during this time, I have more time on my hands at home :smile:

I'm looking for recommendations on MMORPGs.  My basic criteria:

-  I loved Everquest and Vanguard
-  Something fantasy based with a good community/population
-  Slower game play, take my time with quests, harvesting crafting 
-  Good solo content 

Comments

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 556
    boojiboy said:
    Hello all, like many during this time, I have more time on my hands at home :smile:

-  Good solo content 

I'm always going to recommend The Lord of the Rings Online. One of the best communities out there (especially on Landroval), tons of content to play solo, you can take your time with the quests as well (especially early on). 

Right now all the quests and expansions are free through mid-late April, so it's a good time to get your feet wet.

ESO is also another good game to jump into - but it does require a purchase of the game first. But it's got one of the better stories out there and it's mostly soloable (story-wise).
    ScotPo_ggboojiboy
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    boojiboy said:

-  Good solo content 

The options haven't changed in years. WOW or ESO. Then it goes down hill from there.

boojiboy
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited March 2020
    Vanguard is still popular if you have the disc.

Warhammer Online is popular and you can download the program. Seems the PvP is popular.  

DDO seems populated but has a very heavy handed cash shop but like all others everyone dismisses how bad it is.  But giving all play zones away for the next few months...... 
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Bdo is prob the most popular mmo atm
    Tons of solo content maybe too solo for some tastes
    You have to take it slow or you will burn out its a marathon
    Best lifeskill content out of any mmo
    The bad news... pvp is broken class balance is like the wind blows
    The devs don't have clear direction they take projects only to half ass them for new ideas 
    Also its very action combat nothing like eq maybe that will turn you off too idk
    boojiboy
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

I thought all servers shut down many years ago?
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    edited March 2020
    boojiboy said:

I thought all servers shut down many years ago?

There is a private server. However it's not popular. I've dipped into it twice with the second time being a better experience as far as lag.

But it's there!

Post edited by Sovrath on
    boojiboy
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    lotrlore said:
    boojiboy said:

-  Good solo content 

I'm always going to recommend The Lord of the Rings Online. One of the best communities out there (especially on Landroval), tons of content to play solo, you can take your time with the quests as well (especially early on). 

Right now all the quests and expansions are free through mid-late April, so it's a good time to get your feet wet.

ESO is also another good game to jump into - but it does require a purchase of the game first. But it's got one of the better stories out there and it's mostly soloable (story-wise).
    Apart from the fact Laurelin is the best server I totally agree. ;)

You do have to like a bit of RP mind you, the OP did not mention that so there's that to consider.
    Po_gglotrlore
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    GW2. No pressure. No rush, Beautiful world. Soloer's paradise.
    boojiboy

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited March 2020
    lotrlore said:
    boojiboy said:

-  Good solo content

I too recommend LotRO a lot, when it's a right fit - and for OP's set of criteria LotRO is a perfect fit.
    Especially with the stay-home supporting, all content free move of SSG, which can help a lot for new/returning players.

As for the regulars, population-wise: since there's the Spring festival as well, it's crowded. Sometimes to the level of pretty big lag spikes (I'm doing the festivals on Evernight), and you often need to race for the chickens and beer within the Maze, so many players are there.
    Which is a good thing, don't get me wrong... but also a bit frustrating :)

ed: and I won't even mention the mess at the shrew stomping... it's a massacre.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    boojiboy said:

-  Good solo content 

WoW Classic?
    boojiboy
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 556
    Scot said:
    lotrlore said:
    boojiboy said:

-  Good solo content 

Apart from the fact Laurelin is the best server I totally agree. ;)

You do have to like a bit of RP mind you, the OP did not mention that so there's that to consider.
    I'm on Arkenstone and I look longingly at all the events that I see going on over at Landroval. I just want to join in Weatherstock fully one year!
    Scotboojiboy
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I couldn't even begin to mention everything that FFXI offers right away to a new player,it is endless,including ALL of the QOL ideas you see in other games and MORE.

Rather write a book i'll mention a few things..
     free mount..yes level 20 needed/quest/easy.
    Sub job/multi class...yes  unlocked level 18 with a quest.

A.M.A.N newish feature that gives players that QOL,free gear,some rewards via the quest/set/objectives system.

Easy travel..tons of ways to unlock fast travel.

Maybe the biggest QOl addition of ANY mmorpg,no mercs but instead you acquire "Trusts/Ciphers".These are real game npc's that you can bring out in the game to make your own little party.LOTS of them to acquire,early on you'll get enough with a little google/research to have your own tank/healer/dps etc etc.Sure i know most of the game but i have already i think 12 trusts in 8-9 days playing.

Dailies...yes ,done in the form of BOOKS/pages.These can be repeated and give more xp the more times you repeat a page.This is similar to combat in that the more kills you chain together in a certain time limit,the more xp you get.
    Crafting.....gardening,yes a robust system.

boojiboy

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    ESO, so long as you don't mind a bit of upfront spending. Traditional fantasy races, fairly active combat, multi-layered characters, any class can do any role. Adventure where you want when you want, difficulty scales around you.

GW2, a large amount of content to play for free, mainly fantasy with a touch of arcane technology. Unusual non-human races, some unique classes, character abilities vary with equipped weapon for increased play diversity.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    ESO

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited March 2020
    If you don't need beautiful game visuals in your life then maybe try...

Project Gorgon

Legends of Aria

Both games meet all your requirements except the high population part...
    boojiboy