Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

COVID-19 Impacts "inside" virtual worlds

2»

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited March 2020
    Hmm, I'm thinking about a new game idea, it's called "Lynch the Scalpers"

Could even be one of those "augmented reality" experiences. (Heavy on the reality side)

:D 
    NarugAlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NaloNalo Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    In Hawaii, TP is the first thing to disapear from stores and public restrooms anytime something should happen.  Like shipping strikes.

Just a few gmaes over the years where you could farm out all of a mat or loose it a time or for good in the game ifit was way over farmed.

Have fun playing whatever game you find fun playing.
    AlBQuirky
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 567
    Grimula said:
    Ohh yaa must be a coincidence , Coronoa virus happens and All the cheese makers come out to buy there milks Hahahahah

What a coincidence !!!

It's no coincidence. We should all do the same, for as it is said,

NarugAlBQuirky
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    So I have to do a daily check to see if there is any hand sanitiser while someone else gets to take home 50-100 bottles?

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    DMKano said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    I bought a pack of toilet paper, but that's because I was out of toilet paper.

There is a huge difference between one pack and this

360 rolls of toilet paper.... I would have thrown him out of the store
    This guy is the reason its taken me 2 weeks to find 1 pack.  Finally was able to purchase some today.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Narug said:
    DMKano said:

Yep during pandemic or emergency situations stores immediately need to implement max number of purchases for essential items. 

Why they waited for days before putting in limits is beyond me.
    Hmm I'll try to answer.

You have a CEO of all the company

A CEO of that particular country, say US Operations.

Divisional Heads that's say 1/3 of the US for one country example

Regional Management responsible for a whole region of stores overseeing all those markets

Market Manager so he's responsible for whole a market of stores

Finally you work your way down to the store manager

Between the greed & customer service 1st mantra what you have is a bureaucratic mess

To coin a phrase, "Too many chiefs not enough indians.

That don't excuse the many events that should've given them this lesson though, Ike, Harvey, etc...Citing those because I had to go through those hurricanes.

So in short, I don't fully know the answer but I'm trying to answer it.
    Not to mention a lot of companies are leaving it up to the individual stores to figure out if there need to ration(1-2 items per customer or whatever) However the greed you mentioned comes in when the store managers bonus out of sales.. How do you think sales look right now and what the bonus is going to be like with all this going on?

Pretty sad if you ask me. 
  • NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Not to mention a lot of companies are leaving it up to the individual stores to figure out if there need to ration(1-2 items per customer or whatever) However the greed you mentioned comes in when the store managers bonus out of sales.. How do you think sales look right now and what the bonus is going to be like with all this going on?

Pretty sad if you ask me. 

Yep but it's not just based on sales.

There's saving payroll, forecast hours (least workers to floor for job)

I know someone's gonna chime in with some corps increasing hiring but some are not.

There's also what some call CFF (Clean, Fast, Friendly) though clean should definitely be a mandate right now.

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:
    Hmm, I'm thinking about a new game idea, it's called "Lynch the Scalpers"

Could even be one of those "augmented reality" experiences. (Heavy on the reality side)

:D 
    :smile:

This was happening in my area - wasn't really lynching but people would ram their shopping carts into those who had over overflowing with TP and then would just pick up the rolls that fell out and put it in their cart.

I thought it was hillarious 
    Humanity shines through again!

Remember the golden rule: Cover your OWN ass first :lol:

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    edited March 2020
    Well.. last night.. I was running around in GW2 WvW with my friends, and we spent the better part of an hour tossing  TP at the enemy team.

I was giggling like a child about the nonsense of it all, and it was the exact kind of mood breaker I needed.

Hope you all are doing the same! 
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    People people triggered over being /coughed on in game.....freaking come on. 

Thankfully Hitler didn't happen in 2020.
    Tuor7
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Viper482 said:
    People people triggered over being /coughed on in game.....freaking come on. 

Thankfully Hitler didn't happen in 2020.
    Is there a /Hitler command somewhere then? Or a /Siegheil command? Didn’t think so....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

Ungood said:
    Well.. last night.. I was running around in GW2 WvW with my friends, and we spent the better part of an hour tossing  TP at the enemy team.

I was giggling like a child about the nonsense of it all, and it was the exact kind of mood breaker I needed.

I foolishly watched CNN then read stories on the Internet.  :# 

Off to "Shooters World" for more ammo.

;)

UngoodNorseGod

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Ungood said:

I foolishly watched CNN then read stories on the Internet.  :# 

Off to "Shooters World" for more ammo.

;)

Yah.. doing that, if worse for your heath then getting sick. 

Believe this or not.. if you want to survive through almost anything, learn to be happy with yourself and your life.

They have clinically proven the healthiness and longest living people are people that are happy.

Also.. I hunt. So, I already have ammo. I don't need more right now. And if I run out of the stock I have, well.... lets just say.. by that point. They earned my stockpile of of 32 rolls, which you know adds  up to 72 rolls, using the math on the package.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Got an email from Crows Crows Crows about a virtual conference they were having.  It was free so I clicked on the link and looked around for awhile, during the whole time someone kept sneezing into his mic to freak people out.

The regular MMO games I've been playing were pretty much normal except for the occasional comment in chat about what's going on in the real world.  Here's part of the email for those interested:

Crows Crows Crows
    ✧・゚: *✧・゚:* proudly *:・゚✧*:・゚✧
    presents...

CROWS DEVELOPERS CONFERENCE

CDC is a massively multiplayer online browser-based networking and conference experience with light roguelike elements. It’s like The Club.

You can “pick up” your COMPLIMENTARY ALL ACCESS PASS (VALUE: $2,499) immediately by clicking on this link and beginning your CDC adventure.

Narug

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    edited March 2020
    Grimula said:
    Saw a person buying 46 gallon bottles of milk in wallmart , 2 shopping carts full of milk LoL

Doesnt Milk Expire ?  what could you be doing with it all hahahah

Humans are soooo weird  =)

Heh, yeah. I overstocked slightly on milk myself and have been enjoying it with an unintended zeal to beat the expiration date.

I had forgotten I had recently bought my usual supply when making a later order for online grocery delivery and mistakenly doubled up.

However, if one has the freezer space milk can actually be frozen, effectively putting that expiry on hold, and then safely be thawed out for later consumption. Perhaps that person enjoys an abundance of such space.
    My wife and I ran into the "milk police" yesterday.

The store had a sign saying only one milk per customer. 

The clerks told us we couldn't buy two milks. I pointed out one was no fat (for my wife) and one was 1%.  No good they said.

I pointed out there were two of us standing there. One clerk then asked my wife how much milk did we have at home?

She told them about 1/2 gallon of each type.  They reluctantly allowed us to proceed only if we split our purchase and bought them separately, which we did. 

Good thing they were out of TP, or we might have tried picking up a package despite still having 8 or so rolls at home, probably would have dragged us off to the pokey.

;)

Kyleran said:

The clerks told us we couldn't buy two milks. I pointed out one was no fat (for my wife) and one was 1%.  No good they said.

I pointed out there were two of us standing there. One clerk then asked my wife how much milk did we have at home?

She told them about 1/2 gallon of each type.  They reluctantly allowed us to proceed only if we split our purchase and bought them separately, which we did. 

Good thing they were out of TP, or we might have tried picking up a package despite still having 8 or so rolls at home, probably would have dragged us off to the pokey.

;)

Can you imagine being a cashier right about now? You get no training on how to deal with this level of psycho hysterical madness, chances are, you do not receive propper PPE, like face masks and gloves, nor do you get anything extra from your employer, you are underpaid, overworked... and then you have to ask a grown ass man "How much milk do you have at home" because.. for the 37th time today you have had to pull 15 gallons of milk from some crazed angry Karen, who has 50 jugs at home.. but needs every jug on the shelf...

These people are nothing short of fucking heroic... 
    Narug

edited March 2020
    Ungood said:

Can you imagine being a cashier right about now? You get no training on how to deal with this level of psycho hysterical madness, chances are, you do not receive propper PPE, like face masks and gloves, nor do you get anything extra from your employer, you are underpaid, overworked... and then you have to ask a grown ass man "How much milk do you have at home" because.. for the 37th time today you have had to pull 15 gallons of milk from some crazed angry Karen, who has 50 jugs at home.. but needs every jug on the shelf...

https://www.click2houston.com/food/2020/03/21/6-things-h-e-bs-scott-mcclelland-wants-you-to-know-about-products-cleanliness-standards-and-more/

New cleanliness protocols

“We’ve taken this very seriously. We have what we call the COVID action manager in the store, (who) manages sanitation and then social distancing. So, when we open the store we pulse customers in, 20 or 30 at a time, so we don’t have people bunch up. At our checkouts, we have decals on the floor to separate customers, and we’ve also put up a screen to separate the cashiers from the customers to provide for some safety there. We have partners that go through and sanitize all the surfaces areas all day long,” said McClelland. “So, we are really taking a lot of precautions to make sure our customers stay safe and especially our partners because if they can’t show up to work, we are going to have a real problem.”

If you ask me the screen is not enough protection but I guess an appearance of something.

Also I'm not sure if anybody else is implementing this.
    Post edited by Narug on
    Ungood

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    this was a big learning experience. Purge the Movie is likely the next outcome.
    Ungood

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

Actually they just close all the lanes except for the self - serve lanes.
    centkin said:

While the vast majority of Walmarts are supercenters my local Walmart, Brookshire Brothers, and Arlan's aren't large enough for self checkouts.

So this option isn't available for everybody.

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    centkin said:
    Ungood said:
    Kyleran said:

;)

Self-serve lane still needs an overseer attendant, though since it's just one person they could always just have them wear a hazmat suit or something.