Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm sad…Let me explain !

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited March 2020 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

I was recently reading a standard post where this ever so nice person was looking for friends to play with as were seeking shelter during this hard and pressing time….. God bless humanity !...... I love you all ! 

Anyway, in a humble way he was looking for old nostalgia and friendship much like we all NATURALLY DID so many years ago. 

Naturally meaning everyone was on a level playing field,

Back then, we were all paying the standard subscriptions, we acquired our Servers and Realms and we were able to comfortably stay put…… Some had reasons for changing, but for the most part we knew the system worked. 

To seek friendship it was a simple as asking within a game, server, realm, guild or even open chat.  It's IMPORTANT to note we were locked in like rats, however ironically it worked well ! 

Honestly, never did sending out a blanket statement "looking for friendship" in an open source forum or web site yield anything.  Long story short, it's mechanically impossible to match players even if both are like minded…. Technology matching players is better today (Discord, Facebook)…. But a good yield for success is low, if at all.  

It still comes down to the human factor involved.  What people are thinking, availability, abandonment. 

You :

"Where were you Saturday night like promised"

Them :

"Sorry, I had an emergency"

You :

" Ok, I was mad for the day, now I understand" 

It truly comes down to one simple responsibility…. Development !!!!! 

Developers have the responsibility to bring EVERYTHING TOGETHER.  They must remain the KEYSTONE or the central point.  Much like a large company management or a structured school system where the responsibility falls on a master to organize ! 

So what happened !

Why can't Johnny find a friend ?

Why are we millions in the same boat ?

Grateful, should be the small MINORITY with awesome Guilds…. 1% ?

Why are things different ? 

The answer is simple:

Our mmorpg demography had been ripped to shreds, destroyed and dismantled… Then restructured into an unrecognizable style of video game that doesn't match the criteria of mmorpg, yet lack of better words still is.  

SIMPLY BECAUSE LARGE BUSINESS REFUSED TO CALL THEM GAMES ONLINE ! 

It gets far worst !!

Free to play, shallow, solo and technology replacement: 

Free- to- play…… All players have to go through monetary Boot Camp first, are you willing to pay, how much will you play, when will you stop paying before you induct yourself into the game and be something other than a recruit.  Others around you, will they pay, will they quit or advance beyond.  

Who is doing what ?"….. It's a frenzy based around money spent ! 

Solo….. SERIOUSLY are we about to ignore this most important topic that separates mmoprg's from Games online again ?...... Simply because many are not here for friendship but a Free game ? 

Technology….. More emphasis is put on developers "strong arm".  See what we can do instead of being creative with the arts, human feeling, and introducing a NATURAL soul !...  Mega servers come to mind ! 

"Real mmorpg players" are Millions strong…. Many of us are scratching their heads…. What happened ? 

Poor Johnny, I feel bad.

Post edited by delete5230 on

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited March 2020
    Have you ever experienced anything like this in your game ?

One day you notice a guy fighting Scarecrows in a farmers field, then a few days find the same guy doing exactly the same again..... Few days later, You find him standing next to an NPC in a small village.  Finally you decide to confront him and make small talk only to find you click and become friends. 

Nice and natural, happens now and then maybe an odd situation but nice regardless. 

This is no longer an option...... Both you and that friend have an agenda to fill.  Step by step instructions to bring you to level cap (solo). 

You have a 30 day window to complete it or someone will notice your slacking...... Video game mentality, but with eyes watching your progress, very competitive.  
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    That's the point about the Power Gap separation of players. 
    Leveling becomes the driving force of all game play, and it simply leaves friendship behind, out of the equation. 
    This leads into the lack of trust among gamers too. Trust is built through interaction, but it's hard to do that when you don't have time. 

Once upon a time....

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    We were never on a level playing field.

Subscription only games provide advantage to those with an abundance of time.

Equity isn't a solid foundation on which to build an argument for subscription superiority.
    KyleranRemalibcbully
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited March 2020

Equity isn't a solid foundation on which to build an argument for subscription superiority.
    Nailed it perfectly.

Also, I never liked playing with others even though I did tolerate them when "forced to."

Honestly, I'm not missing those days much and am perfectly happy with FO76s small world format, where I've made more friends, helped more random strangers, and engaged the community more than most any MMORPG. (Outside of EVE perhaps)

FO76 might be a shitshow at times, but it definitely has a certain charm to its social interaction designs.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Nailed it perfectly.

Also, I never liked playing with others even though I did tolerate them when "forced to."

Honestly, I'm not missing those days much and am perfectly happy with FO76s small world format, where I've made more friends, helped more random strangers, and engaged the community more than most any MMORPG. (Outside of EVE perhaps)

FO76 might be a shitshow at times, but it definitely has a certain charm to its social interaction designs.
    Nailed nothing.
    Were on an even playing field with a sub... Problem being games today everyone gets the even trophy"play or not" . 

People seem brain washed anymore. 
    bcbully
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited March 2020
    Kyleran said:

Nailed it perfectly.

Nailed nothing.
    Were on an even playing field with a sub... Problem being games today everyone gets the even trophy"play or not" . 

People seem brain washed anymore. 
    No you weren't, there were countless ways other players could have an advantage over you.

They might have started playing the game earlier, they might "meta" better, they could be playing 10 hrs a day, 7 days a week, perhaps subbing to multiple accounts, multi-botting them all together into a one player army.

They could be radar/speed hacking, using voice comms to coordinate, using alt accounts to infiltrate, spy on others or just post watch on the lookout for choice world boss spawns.

Once again your first experience being WOW you have no idea how many ways people came up with to gain advantage,  including buying gold or items of power and influence off of other players on eBay, long before off shore gold farming ever became an issue.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited March 2020
    I think everyone is on an even playing field regardless. You either have the time or money to get what you want. If you don’t then you probably should play a different game or live with it.

Or uneven if you think of it that way. 
    bcbully
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    The problem with finding friends or groups has to do with progression. Nearly in every situation, that is the case.  Developers tried to help with this by allowing for down and upscaling, but that doesn't really help, because most players don't progress enough by downscaling, or upscaling. 

Most of the time if I'm playing, I have different things to do than my friends, and we find it easier to do things separately so we get more done.  At max level, you may find yourself mulling around the same content, but the objectives diverge so often that only very specific group content makes sense to do with friends. 

Lately I've been playing with more people than I normally do, but it's often short lived. I'll get ahead, then I have to stop and wait for them to either catch up, or I completely overpower their content, and it makes it boring for me, I lose my will to continue. 

There are other ways to design content, sure, but it seems nobody is really all that interested in developing games that way.
    Kyleran

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    There was a problem with old game design that i never realized until later on.

Yes the old games brought people together,grouping a must and not by hitting some auto lfg button.

Now the problem.....

Gear grinding was something that required EACH player to get each THEIR own,so a SELFISH design.Sure helping each other sounds good on paper but what if,what if there are 50 people in your guild or even 20?Does anyone have the time to spend 20-50 different occasions to help each other?

So if you helped 20-50 people in your guild,it might take 20-50 days "IF everyday" and each would only have 1 piece lol.SO now it is like a full year to help everyone and all that time you maybe didn't do a single thing for yourself.

It gets worse.Ok so now you expect some help and most are like making excuses and why,well because they already got their stuff so now it is excuse time.This is a problem aided by bad game design and believe it or not is really fixed by aiming at SOLO ideas,yes SOLO within a mmo/grouping game.

All a MMO needs to do is bring players together to do the guild content and the leveling phase.When comes to gear/items,the design should be catered to solo,you EARN your items because YOU had to do the battle or the footwork.The way it is now you can be the worst player on the planet,a SELFISH player just be a part of a guild,sit in the corner and wait for your item to drop then claim it.

So what i want to see is NOT a full time buddy buddy system,i want to see MMO and solo combined because it means NOBODY in the game is segregated for any reason but still sticks to the idea of what a MMO should stand for which is friendships and fun.
    Narug

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

The problem with finding friends or groups has to do with progression. Nearly in every situation, that is the case.  Developers tried to help with this by allowing for down and upscaling, but that doesn't really help, because most players don't progress enough by downscaling, or upscaling. 

Most of the time if I'm playing, I have different things to do than my friends, and we find it easier to do things separately so we get more done.  At max level, you may find yourself mulling around the same content, but the objectives diverge so often that only very specific group content makes sense to do with friends. 

Lately I've been playing with more people than I normally do, but it's often short lived. I'll get ahead, then I have to stop and wait for them to either catch up, or I completely overpower their content, and it makes it boring for me, I lose my will to continue. 

There are other ways to design content, sure, but it seems nobody is really all that interested in developing games that way.
    Out level

Theirs a solution to this, 
    It's the ORIGINAL AND NATURAL ONE SOLUTION !!

It used to not be a thought.  But SLOW Leveling that came with first and second generation games.  It should take the player several days to 1-10, and two weeks 11-20 then only slow way down from their. 

Because of the crap 30 day video games on-line we now have they need to look for other solutions to combat how they screwed the time/world/life up. 

You should be playing naturally for days weeks months without having to really adjust your schedule. 
  • NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    AC2 might've had a start on trying to figuring this thing out:

You could bring the whole damn server with you.

Can't do this now but I think if this would've been expanded on mayhap things would be more easier to engage in.  Then again perhaps not.

Also I realize you can't do every quest like this but crap man having some of the content done like this goes a long way.  You know?

Kings/Queens aka narcissists still get to gloat, "I have lightning rod +5 and level 40" & the rest of us peasants might get to join in on some mutual fun.

What the hell do I know though right?

P.S.  Very insightful Wizardry but I always enjoy your input.  I like your gear idea but unfortunately it wouldn't work with the kings/queens aka narcissists.

We're unfortunately stuck in the EQ1 era with these oldstreamer narcissists/kings/queens hierarchy mindset.

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    This is never how finding people to group with online was unless you were an absolute turd. I'm sorry but LFG in EQ was never a dating site for people capable of hitting 5 buttons a minute. This is the issue with pink tinted glasses is they are usually for terrible people.

Games were never hard. Finding groups were never hard. You were just bad at using the internet. Get over it and stop enforcing it on future games.
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,198
    OG_Zorvan said:
    If I wanted a friend, I'd hit up Tinder. Games are for forgetting people exist. Other "players" in online games are nothing more than slightly advanced chat bots and you'll never convince me otherwise.
    Real friends I don't need. Playmates I prefer if I am playing online.  If not just rather play single player. 
    Kyleran
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    In the old days (e.g., EQ, original WoW) people were not all lovey dovy.

Sure, there were some nice folks. Sure, there was less toxicity. And sure, there was more a sense of community because people were more interdependent.

But people didn't make groups so they could sing songs around a campfire. They made groups to xp grind, or dungeon run, or to camp named spawns. And to do that, they mostly wanted people who were at a level and had gear that would make that easier rather than harder. More or less like today. 
    delete5230

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I disagree. It's not that subscription games give advantage to people with abundance of time, it's that people with "abundance of time" have an advantage.

In pay for "ease of play"  you still have people with abundance of time playing. They now can use what money they have to gain advantage.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Sovrath said:

I disagree. It's not that subscription games give advantage to people with abundance of time, it's that people with "abundance of time" have an advantage.

In pay for "ease of play"  you still have people with abundance of time playing. They now can use what money they have to gain advantage.

Whether it is subscription -> time advantage, or time -> subscription, it is effectively the same, making your disagreement a matter of splitting hairs.

Being able to pay for "ease of play" in the manner of one's choosing simply adds an abundance of wealth as an additional source of inequity to that of time.

As a result the playing field now has more varied topography than ever.