Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DOOM Eternal ships without DRM, delighting pirates everywhere

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageDOOM Eternal ships without DRM, delighting pirates everywhere

In a world where DRM is everywhere, it looks like Bethesda shipped DOOM Eternal without it.

Read the full story here

Comments

• crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    DRM only hinders legitimate players anyway. When is everyone going to wake up and realize this? Games always end up getting cracked, it's only a matter of time.....
    Viper482Asm0deusNarugdragonlee66McSleazBrotherMaynardjimmywolfNonemanerojoArcueidGorweand 3 others.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    edited March 2020

crankked said:

DRM only hinders legitimate players anyway. When is everyone going to wake up and realize this? Games always end up getting cracked, it's only a matter of time.....

1. So what? Make them work for it.
    2. Get people who don't want to wait for a crack to play it.....to buy it. Why just hand it over for free day one because someone will crack it eventually?

Asm0deusHiromantMcSleazjimmywolfAsmodeuXKyleran
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    Viper482 said:

crankked said:

2. Get people who don't want to wait for a crack to play it.....to buy it. Why just hand it over for free day one because someone will crack it eventually?

Because people who do buy it legitimately then have to deal with issues......you know the people who actually PAY for it......
    Asm0deusdragonlee66NarugjimmywolfrojoArcueidAsmodeuXUnrealRpg
  • RennisaRennisa Member UncommonPosts: 49
    Viper482 said:

crankked said:

Because as stated there is usually a cost performance wise with most DRM these days. That was the whole point to their statement.
    Asm0deusdragonlee66NarugNonemanerojoArcueid
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293

Viper482 said:

crankked said:

because drm like denuvo end up hurting your playerbase more than anything else ...
    it doesn't prevent piracy, it costs money and it is ultimately useless.
    one thing it certainly does is negatively impact your computer's performance, shorten your ssd lifetime and create a ton of issues for legitimate users so much so that they end up getting the cracked version without denuvo to get rid of the problem caused by denuvo.

people who want to buy the game will buy it no matter what, people who want to pirate it will pirate it and if it takes a month to get a pirated version, they will wait for it.

for me personally, if you ship your game with denuvo i will not buy it no matter how good it is and too bad if i miss a good game because of that
    dragonlee66McSleazAlverantjimmywolfNonemanerojoArcueid
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389

Viper482 said:

crankked said:

Indeed so what? I mean let the legit players have issues as those with legit copies tend to have over those with cracked copies...lol

I have played quite a few games where the cracked copies worked better than the legit one simply due to it having denuvo.

McSleazAlverantrojoArcueid

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    the solution to piracy is regional pricing, for example for indian player, 60$ even 30$ is way too much, considering the average income of indian people, and this example can be given for many poor countries, if they release indian version which is sold only in india, and it is much cheaper, then those people can afford it and they do not have to pirate the game, also developers will make little bit of money out of those countries rather than nothing. obviously this should be investigated further as to how exactly to do this but this is better than DRM garbage and lowers the number of piracy significantly in my opinion.
    Str8HellNarugrojoArcueid
  • NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    edited March 2020
    I think besides pissing off your legitimate customers like others have pointed out you have companies trying to hide poor selling games behind, "My games been pirated!" excuse.

Nope.  Your game either sucked or you did the above.

Edit:  Frankly you also didn't market (advertise) it enough End Edit

Also I guess companies are figuring their launchers, their servers, are the subsitute protection.

Ah, fixed eh?
    Post edited by Narug on

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• lmollealmollea Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Wonder if this is considerable a "newsworthy" piece of information.
    (beside what DMKano says which is the hard truth)
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

crankked said:

If you can make it so that it takes a while after launch before the game gets cracked, then people who want to play at launch have to buy it and cannot pirate it.

One sensible approach is to ship the game with DRM, then after the game gets cracked, offer a patch that removes the DRM. That gets you all of the benefits of DRM with only a short-term hassle to legitimate players.
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293

Quizzical said:

crankked said:

If you can make it so that it takes a while after launch before the game gets cracked, then people who want to play at launch have to buy it and cannot pirate it.

One sensible approach is to ship the game with DRM, then after the game gets cracked, offer a patch that removes the DRM. That gets you all of the benefits of DRM with only a short-term hassle to legitimate players.

but that's not true.
    if you intend to buy the game you will buy it. if you intend to pirate it, you will not buy it.
    the % of people intending to pirate it and buying it because the cracked version is delayed by a few days is insignificant.
    Alverantjimmywolf
  • BrotherMaynardBrotherMaynard Member RarePosts: 565
    Quizzical said:

crankked said:

Not exactly. People who absolutely have to play on day one usually pre-ordered the game anyway, so their money is in your pocket way before your game is out, and thus DRM has no real financial impact from this core group.

Otherwise as a random player you probably CBA to rush there the moment the doors open and are perfectly fine trying it out a day, week, month later. By that time, ALL the games are cracked.

Also, the most ridiculous approach is to slap DRM on an already DRM'd platform, like all those clown studios adding Denuvo on Steam games. Just shows how they value their customers...

DRM is never a sensible approach.

1. It doesn't work (all games get cracked, sometimes even before official release);
    2. DRM hurts legitimate customers - and often continues hurting them for good, as the devs never bother removing the DRM after the initial rush;
    3. You have a good chance of landing the latest version of rootkit on your PC - just look at the whole SecuROM fiasco that brought these things to the front page.
    As people from CDPR / GoG say: fckdrm.com

Incidentally, did you know that Witcher 3 sold better in 2018 than in 2015 when it launched? Without any DRM whatsoever (on GoG) and on Steam using only Valve's VAC protection.

Po_gg
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,319
    I think our best option is to wait on all new releases for a month or so. AAA publishers put so much importance on pre-orders and first week sales that they will make it worse for legit players just to get a few extra sales. They need us more than we need them and we have to let them know that and stop being distracted by the latest shiny.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    I just wonder how "horrible" including this actually is. I've never had any issues. What makes those who have issues different? What are they running that is conflicting with this software. Or do they have old computers? Super new computers?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

parpin said:

the solution to piracy is regional pricing, for example for indian player, 60$ even 30$ is way too much, considering the average income of indian people, and this example can be given for many poor countries, if they release indian version which is sold only in india, and it is much cheaper, then those people can afford it and they do not have to pirate the game, also developers will make little bit of money out of those countries rather than nothing. obviously this should be investigated further as to how exactly to do this but this is better than DRM garbage and lowers the number of piracy significantly in my opinion.

i fully agree with regional pricing. People will always find a way to exploit any system, but with regional pricing publishers wont be screwing up the same people that enrich those companies buying their games.

• Allwynd_01Allwynd_01 Member UncommonPosts: 193

Viper482 said:

crankked said:

DRM uses additional resources which can be otherwise used to run the game better, which in turn makes the system requirements for the game higher and that forces people to buy new hardware more often.

DRM is a bad practice that has been conceived solely out of greed. I commend the hackers that crack DRM games and especially Denuvo, which was advertised as unbreakable. I'm glad DOOM doesn't have DRM, but since I'm not a fan of DOOM, I won't play it either way. I bet they didn't add DRM, because it would make the game run like crap and they wanted people to be able to see nice graphics and have high FPS at the same time.

DRM is stupid and I hope it becomes unpopular and goes away, if the thought of people playing the games you bought hurts you so bad, then deal with it. xD

I've also had games I really wanted and bought them, only to see them after a while uploaded "for free", but I don't care, since they are mostly small indie games and I know my money went to help the developer improve the game, not some big conglomerate that can easily do without my money, as I never buy AAA games since they are mostly overrated crap.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    As people from CDPR / GoG say: fckdrm.com
    Shoot... usually I'm the first posting fckdrm, but Brother Maynard was quicker. I knew I shouldn't have counted to five :)

It's amazing that after 10+ years of practical evidence against it, people still repeat the same pr bullshit besides DRM. What's even more "amazing" when players do it... Stockholm syndrome much?

DRM ain't the sole force behind purchase, otherwise DRM-free games wouldn't have a market, which they do.

DRM ain't the keeper of company profits, otherwise CD Projekt (and a lot of smaller studios) would've been bankrupted already.

DRM ain't the drive of high sale numbers (first day/overall), otherwise Witcher wouldn't be on the sale charts with its millions of sold copies.

And as Kano said, DRM does nothing against piracy either. Those who want to pirate it (for any reasons, lack of money, due to principles, etc.), will do it, regardless of DRM. So, why waste money and resources on it the first place?
    McSleaz
  • SandmanjwSandmanjw Member RarePosts: 526
    Take the time and money they use to put in drm and make a good demo version.

You will get more people to buy after trying  the game  than you will lose to people that hate drm or have issues with it.

DRM has zero effect on people that will never buy the game and just torrent them anyhow. 

Only thing that will stop those that will steal the games is having some type of on-line server tech to verify games. The rest are a waste of time and money.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Denuvo to me is malware that slows down performance, look at the file size differences, and imagine "Encoding Video" and or running multiple games while playing Doom (With Denuvo DRM) vs (Without Denuvo DRM).

I won't be buying the game simply because of Denuvo, and by the time they do decide to remove the malicious DRM I will have already played the game and not even bother buying it.

The same thing with Borderlands 3, not going to buy it while it has Denuvo.

It's the game company's that drive legitimate purchasers towards theft / the dark side when they can simply use "Steam Keys" or "Serial Key" just as they have many years and it will likely make more sales.

Look at "The Witcher Series & Cyber Punk 2077 (No DRM) but makes millions?

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    parpin said:
    The issue with regional pricing in the digital age is that if you offer the game on Steam/GoG/Epic in India for, let's say, the equivalent of $20 in the us, then I'll just turn my VPN to an Indian server and buy it there.

Even if I have to start a new steam account.

I just checked and, yep, India is on my VPN's list.

In other words, if you ever offer a product for a far lower price somewhere else, then people will find ways to buy it at that price.

I once drove eight hours in one day because a dealership in another state had the car I wanted to buy for 15 grand less than what local dealerships were offering.  We closed the deal online and I drove in to pick it up.
  • BladeburaibaBladeburaiba Member UncommonPosts: 132
    As said above, pirates are going to steal, and payers are going to pay with a few in between.

If you look at the people caught, they have thousands of pirated games. Two thousand games at $60 dollars is $120,000. Do you really think that if you stopped cracking of games, that all those pirates would spend $120,000 on games?

No, they either would buy some small amount games, or not play, because most pirates don't have that amount to spend on games. If you pirate because you don't have money to buy it, then you aren't going to buy it...

Somebody has to have done the numbers. The cost and bad press of these anti-crack must outweigh the benefits.
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    This title is a bit misleading / clickbaity. I would say "Ships without Denuvo on Bethesda launcher". Bethesda launcher is still DRM (As is Steam,ect)
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Please pirate our game.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • DoushiDoushi Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I was hyped for this game, but if denuvo is attached to the game, no matter the tittle I wont buy it. Too bad I didnt notice this earlier..

mmorpg.com, the 4chan of mmo forums.

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    @Doushi

mmorpg.com, the 4chan of mmo forums.

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/