Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Along with gaming, hows everyone staying sane ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited March 2020 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Since I signed papers at work the other day, i'm out until further notice because of the virus .

Ironically things are working out well because I got a big old tumor removed from my brain last week (zero cancer in my body, but get full results on Wednesday).  The medication is giving me insomnia, however as great as I feel I lost a level of concentration to play any games.....

I started back on "Dungeons and Dragons Online" but only 10 minuets here, half hour there.  Seems OK, but F2P/ subscription is a little screwy compared to most.  Sub only gets you free adventure pacts and a chance to do dungeons starting above normal difficulty, They remove an "irritant" if you pay for the sub..... Strange perks for subscribing. 

They have a deal going on anyway where you get the expansions for free for long while, and you would have to play for several weeks for it to be noticeable so it doesn't help in my case. 

Weather is beautiful, here in the country and I'm learning how to raise eight chickens that are growing in my living room, they love following my wife around the house like their mother.  Wife is taking to them well.  Thursday, if all goes well with the results I'll be building my chicken coop because I'm I'm all about chickens for now :) 

This morning when the sun comes up I plan on taking a walk to a pond on top of the hill that's considered private property.  If I find an open spot around the vegetation, I'll buy cheap fishing equipment on Amazon and sneak fish, and try not to get cough.  Getting away with it will be half the fun and seems harmless, strange because I'm sure I would just have to ask :)

Another hobby since thy cracked my skull open is call everyone and tell them how much I love everyone.  I'm on a spiritual kick.  Hay I even love you people too even if you bust my balls.

I'm also comparing all browsers.  I seem to like the simplicity of Opera the best, however it's still pleasantly customizatable.  Microsoft Edge is BY FAR the worst EXTREMELY INTRUSIVE AND OVERLY COMPLICATED.  Wife uses Chrome, I like that too.... also experimenting with a new one called Brave, but the verdict is still out, seems mah but lets see if it has any hidden cool features.  Firefox is great too, but been using it for years and tired of it with no good reason. 

Last hobby,,,,, I realized how easy it is to e-mail YouTubers and ask them questions about what ever their promoting.... Mostly chickens and Dungeons and Dragons Online....... Most seem pleasantly happy to help.  With this, one can get a deeper level of learning stuff. 

How are you people doing ?
Post edited by delete5230 on
CaffynatedNarugAsm0deusUngoodAmatheViper482bentrim

Comments

• CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    Other than gaming, I'm enjoying walking a lot. Many areas that are normally busy are completely empty and you get this surreal feeling when walking around in them. Like you're in a psychological horror novel trapped outside of time or normal space. The park near my house normally has dozens of people every day, and a hundred+ on weekends, but you can walk around and not see anyone for an hour. It's both pleasant and unnerving.

Who knew you could socially isolate yourself in public spaces? :D

My house has never been cleaner, as I find having to look at it more makes me notice every problem and I've made a hobby of fixing little things that have been neglected for years. It's taken a conscious effort not to wipe out spider bro's web by the back door, as I know he's a murder machine waiting for mosquito season and don't want to mess with his mojo.

I'm painting some new Warhammer minis, which is pretty time consuming.

All in all, it's not so bad. I'm looking forward to it being over, but I'm not one of those types who is stressing about not being social.
    delete5230
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited March 2020
    Other than gaming, I'm enjoying walking a lot. Many areas that are normally busy are completely empty and you get this surreal feeling when walking around in them. Like you're in a psychological horror novel trapped outside of time or normal space. The park near my house normally has dozens of people every day, and a hundred+ on weekends, but you can walk around and not see anyone for an hour. It's both pleasant and unnerving.

My house has never been cleaner, as I find having to look at it more makes me notice every problem and I've made a hobby of fixing little things that have been neglected for years. It's taken a conscious effort not to wipe out spider bro's web by the back door, as I know he's a murder machine waiting for mosquito season and don't want to mess with his mojo.

All in all, it's not so bad. I'm looking forward to it being over, but I'm not one of those types who is stressing about not being social.
    What ever you do,,,,, DON'T use the "Drudge Report web site".... They have the entire world dead already and it's been like that with the first case that hit the US.

It will have you on a no holds barr looting rampage if you read it !

Facebook has everyone dead too.... People's perspective seems grim.
    Caffynated
    edited March 2020

What ever you do,,,,, DON'T use the "Drudge Report web site".... They have the entire world dead already and it's been like that with the first case that hit the US.

It will have you on a no holds barr looting rampage if you read it !

Facebook has everyone dead too.... People's perspective seems grim.

The risk of exposure is pretty small if you follow healthcare professionals' guidelines for social distancing and hygiene. Sadly there are a lot of stupid people who have the "it's just the flu, bro," mentality, so it keeps getting spread.

Doomsday talk is basically the media's stock in trade, so it's no surprise they're playing it up as the end of the world.
    Narug
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Do we even have any sanity point left in first place ? *doing a san check roll*
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    I got 4 weeks at 80% for my main day job until I get kicked out. Don't quite qualify for these stimulus packages that the government are handing out due to not being classified as having a low income etc. So, got a side job cleaning for 4h a day at a big name supermarket until stuff clears up. Would have been better off going on benefits since in Australia their doing double handouts for the jobseeker allowance. Still though, complaining about a shittier job for 6 months is a lot better situation than others are in such as businesses closing down etc. Pretty much gaming and going for long walks on bare streets until they start introducing curfews etc.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    It's been pretty rough....Alot of the businesses I usually frequent are closed except for the grocery store.
    It's been pretty rough....Alot of the businesses I usually frequent are closed except for the grocery store.
    I found Tractor supplies stores open since they have live stock feed.  Because their actually open, It's good for hardware and I'll be buying mower deck paint and rebuilding my deck.  After all the deck rot is the only thing that will make a rider or mower need to be replaced..... Best to take care of the deck. 
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Im in healthcare, so ill be working all the time. Lucky to have a job, only concern is that i am at high risk for getting covid 19 due to working in the hospital, but either way, new season of PoE came out.

Get better Delete

delete5230
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
    edited March 2020
    If you can, think of many Youtube topics,... let us know. 
    I'm a major Youtube watcher, but often I run out of topics:
    Extra little tip... "sign out" to get better at random videos. 

-Alien Abductions / UFO's
    -Garage storage ideas
    -DiY wood projects
    -Cast iron pan cooking, I've been making the best boneless chicken and vegetables, even the burnt smell around the house is nice ironically. 
    -Car dealership scams, and tips (lots of good investigative undercover videos to watch)
    -Locked Up Abroad. Lots of full episodes.  These people are screwed in third world countries. 
    -Mini mart hold ups/Off duty cops are nice too. 
    -inmate prison documentaries, good for awhile, but their mostly all the same. Russian prisons are the best.
    -Saturday Night Live off takes are great.
    -Sovereign citizen vs. cops / judge are fun, they always have to get dragged out. 
    -Life inside North Korea 
    -nuclear submarine documentaries
    -USMC boot camp. Better Navy Seal forces training.
    -Roller Coaster riding in 4K will make you afraid of them.
    -Joe Biden not making any sense is often fun, but embarrassing. One video said no one could even find him for the entire day.

stay away from pet's it will over flood the topics (too many)
    stay away from CNN news (fake news).
    Unfortunately a mass flood about the virus, it's hard to avoid (Bill Gates is getting too crazy). 
    Post edited by delete5230 on
    edited March 2020
    If you can, think of many Youtube topics,... let us know. 
    I'm a major Youtube watcher, but often I run out of topics:
    Extra little tip... "sign out" to get better at random videos. 

-Alien Abductions / UFO's
    -Garage storage ideas
    -DiY wood projects
    -Cast iron pan cooking, I've been making the best boneless chicken and vegetables, even the burnt smell around the house is nice ironically. 
    -Car dealership scams, and tips (lots of good investigative undercover videos to watch)
    -Locked Up Abroad. Lots of full episodes.  These people are screwed in third world countries. 
    -Mini mart hold ups/Off duty cops are nice too. 
    -inmate prison documentaries, good for awhile, but their mostly all the same. Russian prisons are the best.
    -Saturday Night Live off takes are great.
    -Sovereign citizen vs. cops / judge are fun, they always have to get dragged out. 
    -Life inside North Korea 
    -nuclear submarine documentaries
    -USMC boot camp. Better Navy Seal forces training.
    -Roller Coaster riding in 4K will make you afraid of them.
    -Joe Biden not making any sense is often fun, but embarrassing. 

stay away from pet's it will over flood the topics (too many)
    stay away from CNN news (fake news).
    Unfortunately a mass flood about the virus, it's hard to avoid (Bill Gates is getting too crazy). 
    Some of my favorite channels:

>Guga Foods / Sous vide everything is a great cooking channel. My steak game has gone to another level and I was already a legend. 
    >Aquaholic yachts tours are pretty neat
    >The Fast Lane/TFL Ike Gauntlet videos about truck towing capabilities are rather interesting
    >Blockhead is a motorcycle channel that got me back into riding after a long break following my accident.
    >The_Chieftan is a military vehicle historian and expert. 
    >Lindybeige is a historical youtuber and often does interesting videos about psychology of warfare (for example, most soldiers don't actually fight to kill)
    >Unbiased History /Dovahhatty is hilarious and informative. His video on the 5 good emperors is legendary
    >Spacedock is a SciFi channel focusing primarily on spaceships
    >Live PD it's COPS! without the theme song
    >ten second songs is a channel that sings popular songs in the styles of other artists. Some of them are pretty good. 
    >Brave Wilderness travels the world getting stung to see how much it sucks. Spoiler it sucks a lot. 
    >Demolition Ranch blows stuff up and shoots holes in it... for "science"... yeah... science. 

Post edited by Caffynated on
    delete5230
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Short answer to that is I am not. Got diagnosed with Paranoid Scizofrenia 10 years ago and because of that Moderate depression.
    But I can still game on most days which has been my favorite hobby for 25 years. Who says hearing voices hurts  gaming. :p

On that note i wish you all best of luck With C19. Here i Norway we have the situation under control as of now. But that is subject to change.
    A lot of my friends lost their jobs though and the economy is hurting. The goverment is handling things well with compensations though. And we are spoiled because of being an Oil rich nation we have saved up a lot of money the last 40 years.

Beat of luck to you all. Even Trolls and goblins.

delete5230Narug
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    I am just doing more gaming; stay sane carry on gaming. :)
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Both my wife and kids are at home sick, I am the only one fit and the only one going out for groceries etc.

- I work from home now for 30 hours a week
    - We do daily schoolwork with the kids, they got a home schooling package from their teacher
    - We are doing our garden, putting in a lawn etc.
    - I play games an hour or 2 a day
    - I cook every day focussing on fun and healthy food.
    - I bought a nice collection of physical games to play with the kids when all of this started

Besides that we put a daily schedule on the living room door to maintain somewhat of a routine for the kids. 

Actually doing great here. Take care everybody.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

delete5230
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    I knit a lot so making a ruana and playing Wolcen. Cannot leave the house at all except to the market and pharmacy. It's quite bad in Italy. Each day is a new horror with the figures infected and dead. Now the younger people in Lombardy are getting infected too. They say they are younger and younger cases for hospitalization. The health workers are so overworked they are breaking down and weeping. It's really bad. 

I have a tiny narrow terrace in my flat so nowhere to even just sit and enjoy the outside. At times like this people with gardens are so lucky.
    Caffynateddelete5230
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
     Im retired at (55) so not very big change for me , altho my 9 year old son is home ,But with the weather being nice here in Philly ive got an early start on yardwork , getting the Garden ready for Vegetable , will add more Retaining Wall this season , Been playing BBall with Jr a good bit , mixed in with my ususal gaming hobby , Also hoping that fishing season will not be interupted or the NFL draft ..

Hope everyone come thru this OK ,
  • NarugNarug Member UncommonPosts: 756
    Besides wondering where my next meal will come from, no meat/bread/can food...

Playing going to work free chance of COVID-19 & blowing out my back with every visit 

playing video games - Sword Coast Legends/Dragon Age Series/Skryim/Diablo III/Champions Online 

writing 

watching the tube when laying down.

Stay Safe

The risk of exposure is pretty small if you follow healthcare professionals' guidelines for social distancing and hygiene. Sadly there are a lot of stupid people who have the "it's just the flu, bro," mentality, so it keeps getting spread.

Doomsday talk is basically the media's stock in trade, so it's no surprise they're playing it up as the end of the world.
    I think a societal collapse, in part media instigated, is an equal danger at this point if we don't watch ourselves.

AC2 Player RIP Final Death Jan 31st 2017

Refugee of Auberean

Refugee of Dereth

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    edited March 2020
    I got Genesis for Ark (not like much else to do with money, lol) and enjoying it.  I was just in the Steam forum and as I type 123,020 players are in the game.  Lots of people doing what I'm doing, I presume.

Atlas still flounders along on 3,435, poor thing.
    Dibdabs said:
    I got Genesis for Ark (not like much else to do with money, lol) and enjoying it.  I was just in the Steam forum and as I type 123,020 players are in the game.  Lots of people doing what I'm doing, I presume.

Atlas still flounders along on 3,435, poor thing.
    I have DDO waiting in limbo waiting to play it more.  I have 28 Steam games in my favorites in Steam and honestly don't feel like a single one of them for now. 

Theirs a super quality X-com style game called "Phoenix Point", I have my eye on.  They refuse to advertise on Steam, so you have to find it......Looks better actually :) 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,981
    edited March 2020
    When I explained to my dad he needed to go into social isolation he said "I never go out so that's not a problem". I had to explain to him that going for a paper every morning, shopping twice a week, and the pub once week could not be called "never going out" But he has the idea now. :)

At least all you guys seem to not be doing anything stupid, stay safe. I do wonder though how long will people be prepaired to live this way it is unpecedected? If this is still going on in a couple of months psychologicaly it will get very strained and physiclaly temparatures will be soaring.
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    Picking my nose and eating snacks while i browse sites and forums mostly..checking mail 100 times a day...watching animes and series..playing random games for 10-30 mins..taking power naps..dusting things off..watering the plants...reading news and watching what people do in case of hording.

That is what i do..super boring..but keeps the brain active.

I see Last Epoch is being released 30 april. So that game is on my rader.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited March 2020

Another thing you might find interest in that meshes well with your current hobbies might be to look into cast iron cooking, it's something fun to do and you can do all kinds of interesting things... I mean CI is the original old school non stick pans if seasoned/used right!

Fun things to cook in cast iron pizza in the skillet, no kneed bread in skillet and dutch oven, old school spam with eggs (eggs can be a bit tricky as people have learned to cook with high temps (the knob up high with aluminum pans where as with cast iron you need to keep the knob lower as it keeps it heat more evenly and longer thus requires less heat from the stove to get the same temps etc) and don't forget your smashburgers!

Oh can't forget your cajun gumbo and jambalaya and steaks!
    delete5230

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Asm0deus said:

... old school spam with eggs...
    Can't let you get away with that without the obligatory Python song:

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited March 2020
    Relying on the mainstays of napping or watching tv.

And good luck to OP on his recovery.
    delete5230

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    edited March 2020
    Finishing fixing up a rental. Hoping house prices crash so that I can buy two more, for the price of one.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/