Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

COE Pre-Alpha Begins! Trials of the Tested!

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
edited March 2020 in Chronicles of Elyria
Here we go folks, the first public, alpha level test of the Pre-Alpha client.

"This playable is focused on traversal and procedural dungeon generation. Alpha 1 backers will play through a Waerdic obstacle course as either Neran, To'resk, or The Waerd. Different traversal types that players will encounter include:

• Climbing across walls and jumping between them
  • Jumping across platforms or gaps
  • Climbing poles and jumping between them
  • Climbing and swinging on ropes
  • Ziplining
  • Balancing on beams and jumping over gaps
  • Sliding through small gaps
  • Dive rolling over small barriers
  • Running along walls and jumping between them"
Get the full details over at:

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/34776/prealpha-testing-has-officially-begun

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Ungood[Deleted User][Deleted User]

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    They are just testing something they just recently made?  I guess I need to read up a bit.  MMOs for me don't need to have jumping / parkour puzzles etc.  I would be way more interesting in testing world environments etc.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited March 2020
    Aethaeryn said:
    They are just testing something they just recently made?  I guess I need to read up a bit.  MMOs for me don't need to have jumping / parkour puzzles etc.  I would be way more interesting in testing world environments etc.
    Well, in the same post they claim to have been hard at work on the following: 

"Over the last year, extensive work has been laid in the following areas:

• Basic and advanced traversal mechanics and animations
    • Combat, NPC Combat AI, and animations
    • Combat combo system and combo management
    • Basic Survival mechanics (food, water, shelter)
    • NPC personalities and AI routines (go to work, sleep, hang out with friends, etc)
    • NPC interaction and animations
    • NPCs giving the player contracts
    • Events unfolding by the Story Engine
    • Giving and receiving information using the Knowledge System
    • Procedural dungeon generation
    • Character attributes as they apply to survival, combat, etc
    • Equipment, Inventory, and management of both
    • Environment exploration for the Tropical Wetlands, Semi-Arid Desert, and Lower Montane Forest
    • Creature models, animations, and AI
    • Interacting with objects and stations in the world for contracts, stories, etc
    • Character skills a they relate to all of the above activities

We've plucked out one set of experiences, and the features that make them up, to include in our first playtest, named: Trial of the Tested!"

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Puzzles.. jumping puzzles... mmo with puzzles

Yeah... 

No thanks.
  • goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Testing released and SoE is up and running, we'll see how soon Caspian releases the State of Elyria...he has been using every excuse in the book not to release it.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    This is 12 days too early.
    KyleranMendel

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Kyleran said:

"This playable is focused on traversal and procedural dungeon generation. Alpha 1 backers will play through a Waerdic obstacle course as either Neran, To'resk, or The Waerd. Different traversal types that players will encounter include:

• Ziplining

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/34776/prealpha-testing-has-officially-begun
    This is a joke, right?
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    For all the pie in the sky promises that CoE made and all the ridiculous gaffs and fails like not even being able to get the website events right, I think the absolute stupidest thing about the project is their insistence in focusing on this parkour jumping action gameplay instead of absolutely anything to do with an MMORPG, MUD, or city-builder. 
    Mendel
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Amazing what failing a fundraiser will do to get the product out the door.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• DeveronDeveron Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Let‘s wait for the first to leak. While I expected this to be perceived rather well, I don‘t think it‘ll be long lasting. So if they don’t keep delivering new „playables“ (that‘s a nice euphemism for the switch to the bait, I must admit), disappointment should settle in soon and everything will backfire as usual.

They promised „delivering a client and server that allows our Alpha 1 backers to get in and play a subset of the Alpha 1 features in a fully playable game” specifically for PreAlpha over a year ago after all, but all there is, is a pimped up demo. Dunno how anyone can believe this will go down well. 
    Deveron said:
    Let‘s wait for the first to leak. While I expected this to be perceived rather well, I don‘t think it‘ll be long lasting. So if they don’t keep delivering new „playables“ (that‘s a nice euphemism for the switch to the bait, I must admit), disappointment should settle in soon and everything will backfire as usual.

They promised „delivering a client and server that allows our Alpha 1 backers to get in and play a subset of the Alpha 1 features in a fully playable game” specifically for PreAlpha over a year ago after all, but all there is, is a pimped up demo. Dunno how anyone can believe this will go down well. 
    A demo that is single player with "leader boards" and has the functionality of free UE4 plugins.

IMPRESSIVE!

And yet, even despite this fantastic news, they still haven't even crossed the $8M mark which means they have barely raised any money with 1 and now 2 "big events" in the last 2 weeks...

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    How do you alpha a pre-alpha? Shouldn't you be pre-alphaing it? What does the act of pre-alphaing look like? Do you only use one finger and wear an eye-patch? So many questions...
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188KyleranUngoodMorgenes83TacticalZombeh
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295

And yet, even despite this fantastic news, they still haven't even crossed the $8M mark which means they have barely raised any money with 1 and now 2 "big events" in the last 2 weeks...

I'm surprised they didn't do a special sale releasing X amount of Alpha 1 access. Try to tempt people into dumping more money. Not sure how they feel they have enough testers. While only some people will even care about running this course more than a few times. Even with leaderboards up there.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    For all the pie in the sky promises that CoE made and all the ridiculous gaffs and fails like not even being able to get the website events right, I think the absolute stupidest thing about the project is their insistence in focusing on this parkour jumping action gameplay instead of absolutely anything to do with an MMORPG, MUD, or city-builder. 

I've yet to hear any discussion about how a parkour action game is supposed to appeal to anyone expecting an MMORPG.  I just can't place the two ends together.  It's like one of those standardized tests that ask which is more true, plywood is to oatmeal as concrete is to a) Don Adams, b) blueberries, or c) yodeling.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Kyleran said:

• Ziplining

This is a joke, right?

Not sure why some people have an issue with this, this sounds great. I wish more mmorpg's had this type of mobility for a character.
    Torrsk
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Mendel said:

I've yet to hear any discussion about how a parkour action game is supposed to appeal to anyone expecting an MMORPG.  I just can't place the two ends together.  It's like one of those standardized tests that ask which is more true, plywood is to oatmeal as concrete is to a) Don Adams, b) blueberries, or c) yodeling.

Well I think it's great. While I don't think they can pull it off, anything that liberates the avatar and increases how one explores and moves around the world is nothing but a plus.

Provided it's in more places than just "a zone."

Sort of how Aion has gliding but it's only in a few zones and flying is in less zones.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

• Ziplining

This is a joke, right?

Not sure why some people have an issue with this, this sounds great. I wish more mmorpg's had this type of mobility for a character.
    Oh man, MMO crowdfunding developers must love you.
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

• Ziplining

This is a joke, right?

Well, I'm certainly not a whiny complainy individual who looks at everything with a jaundiced eye.

Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

• Ziplining

This is a joke, right?

There is a video by a student who literally taught himself how to create almost all of this in UE4 in a few weeks.  All by himself.  With parkour like diving, jumping, moving platforms, swimming, zipline...

He didn't get $8M for it.

Caspien has admitted as much but said the difference is that HIS version will support thousands of players and objects.   By having this be a single player demo, there is no way to validate that.  So at this point all they are demoing is the same functionality that a free UE4 plugin would do, plus a "leaderboard" for tracking your time through the course.

Now if this was a real test and they had a thousand people connected to a shared world then I would say it is a demonstration of progress, but that is not what they are showing.

But I am open to the chance I am missing something.  What exactly do you think this is showing that can not be seen in countless free UE4 plugins?

This is just one of many:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSRnJrdP_qc

[Deleted User]

Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

• Ziplining

This is a joke, right?

There is a video by a student who literally taught himself how to create almost all of this in UE4 in a few weeks.  All by himself.  With parkour like diving, jumping, moving platforms, swimming, zipline...

He didn't get $8M for it.

Caspien has admitted as much but said the difference is that HIS version will support thousands of players and objects.   By having this be a single player demo, there is no way to validate that.  So at this point all they are demoing is the same functionality that a free UE4 plugin would do, plus a "leaderboard" for tracking your time through the course.

Now if this was a real test and they had a thousand people connected to a shared world then I would say it is a demonstration of progress, but that is not what they are showing.

But I am open to the chance I am missing something.  What exactly do you think this is showing that can not be seen in countless free UE4 plugins?

This is just one of many:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSRnJrdP_qc

Look, I don't care where they are in development or how much money they got from players (are you one of the people who put money into the game? Actual question) all I'm commenting on is that this is neat stuff.

If the game ever releases then great I'll give it a look.

I don't think it will but it would be amazing if it did. They've got to show something so this is what they have. If these developers don't show anything they are crucified, if they do show something they are crucified.

It seems to me that you are one of the people who put money in and aren't happy with what they have. Well, shame on you for doing that you should know better that when you give money to these things "it's gone." that's it. You're literally saying 'here's some cash, hope you can do it.'

But for some reason people don't understand that, they think they are getting guarantees and then they start the water works because life isn't fair.

I don't know what their development is like and I highly suspect it's very bad and immature management. It is what it is.

You either can get on board with their dysfunctional way of doing things or you can shake your head and walk away.

Otherwise, you're too invested in something you have no control over.
    bcbullydaarco

• DiscordsOfElyriaDiscordsOfElyria Newbie CommonPosts: 8
    edited March 2020
    Wow having a blast so far.

ChildoftheShadowsSlapshot1188SovrathScotTacticalZombeh
    No, we are in pre-alpha right now. There is no release date for neither beta nor alpha. Given the track record of the studio, they can't help but being over optimistic on release dates... so I think it is the right move not to make their own estimate public.
    edited March 2020
    Sovrath said:

It seems to me that you are one of the people who put money in and aren't happy with what they have. Well, shame on you for doing that you should know better that when you give money to these things "it's gone." that's it. You're literally saying 'here's some cash, hope you can do it.'

Nope.  Strike one.

Now instead of complaining about people complaining would you like to take a shot at answering what I posed?  What progress does this show after 4-5 years of development and nearly $8M?  What does it show that is not seen in free UE4 plugins?

Why would anyone be excited by this?

• OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Looks like Covid-19 may cause symptoms of delusional towards failing mmorpgs, nice to know
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

• Ziplining

This is a joke, right?

Well, I'm certainly not a whiny complainy individual who looks at everything with a jaundiced eye.

Looking at everything in gaming with a jaundiced eye these days may be extreme but certainly much more sensible than not being skeptical at all.

Lots of PR spin and horseshit associated with game promotion these days. Haven't you noticed?
    MendelBrotherMaynard
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

• Ziplining

This is a joke, right?

Looking at everything in gaming with a jaundiced eye these days may be extreme but certainly much more sensible than not being skeptical at all.

Lots of PR spin and horseshit associated with game promotion these days. Haven't you noticed?
    I just expect people to do what they say they will do.  These guys had a Dec 2017 ETA for full launch of the game.  When questioned, their CEO mocked the questioners and pointed to his Gantt Charts.   Now it's 2020 and we have a low-res single-player parkour demo that seems to show nothing more than what a free UE4 plugin created by a kid in college in a few weeks does.

During Kickstarter, they literally PROMISED to have updated schedules on their website.  Now they do not even have a general ETA for any phase, let alone launch.

Iselin

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Iselin said:
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

• Ziplining

This is a joke, right?

I just expect people to do what they say they will do.  These guys had a Dec 2017 ETA for full launch of the game.  When questioned, their CEO mocked the questioners and pointed to his Gantt Charts.   Now it's 2020 and we have a low-res single-player parkour demo that seems to show nothing more than what a free UE4 plugin created by a kid in college in a few weeks does.

During Kickstarter, they literally PROMISED to have updated schedules on their website.  Now they do not even have a general ETA for any phase, let alone launch.

Sounds like the 2017 release date for Saga of Lucimia that they pushed back to 2021. Oh and the pr guy just mocked those asking about the delay with zero answer.

You where pretty white in your knighting in those threads.
    Slapshot1188
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"