Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Settlers of Elyria a failure?

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
So far the money raised has been pretty low.  They still haven’t broken $8M total raised and they were almost there before this sale started.

Honestly this has kind of surprised me.  Is this a failure or are the masses just waiting to buy later?

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    The world is in the middle of a Pandemic, people are buying Toilet Paper like we are getting hit with a diarrhea plague. I would honestly be amazed if any game company did take a serious hit this quarter.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Unless someone is after some highly sought after spot. Why bother buying now? May as well wait until the full 45% is off. Not that I understand who would give these clowns anything.
    Kyleran
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    edited March 2020
    Ungood said:
    The world is in the middle of a Pandemic, people are buying Toilet Paper like we are getting hit with a diarrhea plague. I would honestly be amazed if any game company did take a serious hit this quarter.
    IIRC, during the last pandemic, internet companies and gamespot actually reported higher profits than usual unlike everything else.  When people stay at home, they need something to do.

....of course, they actually like, sold stuff that gave people things to do at home, unlike Chronicles of Elyria which can only (very) generously be called an investment since a product doesn't exist yet in any actual form, and that's not something that's going to sell well during a pandemic.
    Slapshot1188Ungood
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Torrsk said:
    Unless someone is after some highly sought after spot. Why bother buying now? May as well wait until the full 45% is off. Not that I understand who would give these clowns anything.
    Most of the highly sought after properties such as along coastlines have already been claimed in the original DSS event.

If not the warnings by the "aristocracy" threatening to punish random buyers who purchase within their borders without first getting permission might also have had a dampening effect.

The lack of discernable progress is probably dampening the enthusiasm of even some of the more faithful even if they won't openly say so for risk of jeopardizing their investment or shattering their dreams.
    Slapshot1188Deveron

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

If not the warnings by the "aristocracy" threatening to punish random buyers who purchase within their borders without first getting permission might also have had a dampening effect.

I forgot those kids did that. Reminds me of those hoarding everything from the supermarkets. People will always find a way to a cunt to others. But unlike the hoarders, they are nothing but a joke and have zero real impact on anyone. Because the game will never come out.
    Slapshot1188AnOldFart
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Ungood said:
    IIRC, during the last pandemic, internet companies and gamespot actually reported higher profits than usual unlike everything else.  When people stay at home, they need something to do.

....of course, they actually like, sold stuff that gave people things to do at home, unlike Chronicles of Elyria which can only (very) generously be called an investment since a product doesn't exist yet in any actual form, and that's not something that's going to sell well during a pandemic.
    I am not sure what pandemic you are referring to, but the Swine Flu (H1N1) of 2009, game companies across the board saw a massive slump that year.

But I do agree, that if any company was going to have an uptick, it would need to be a company with an actual product to give their players.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited March 2020
    As of this morning there were a total of 128 purchases made. 70% of those were for the lowest tier (settlement). This explains why the funds are barely increasing.  One has to wonder how long they can keep going on whatever funding they have left.

*Current kingdom property sold since relaunch (Settlement/County/Duchy):
    Angelica:
    Ashland: 6/2/0
    Aranor: 2/0/0
    Blackheart: 6/1/0
    Riftwood: 1/0/1
    Valyria: 5/3/0
    Tyria: 6/2/1

Luna:
    Fortuna: 14/7/2
    Alesia: 12/6/0
    Kairos: 2/1/0
    Bordweall: 1/0/0
    Vornair: 17/0/0

Selene:
    Arkadia: 6/2/0
    Tryggr: 6/3/2
    Keridwen: 1/1/0
    Al'Khezam: 2/0/0
    Demalion: 3/2/0

Oceanus:
    Tylsia: 0/0/0
    Aequitas: 1/0/1
    Caprakan: 2/2/1
    Lor Voskara: 2/2/0*

Above plagiarized from a Kingdom website.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Ungood said:

Coronavirus is going to make people more risk-averse than normal. Games that you can play right away might sell well during pandemic conditions, but now is really bad time to seek crowdfunding for high-risk project like CoE.
    UngoodSlapshot1188

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    So far the money raised has been pretty low.  They still haven’t broken $8M total raised and they were almost there before this sale started.

Honestly this has kind of surprised me.  Is this a failure or are the masses just waiting to buy later?

With just under 2 weeks left in March I'd like to ask where is the State of Elyria write up Caspian promised? Originally said it would be in December 2019...then he said once Settlers of Elyria launches he will release it...still waiting.

Oceanus:
    Tylsia: 0/0/0
    Aequitas: 1/0/1
    Caprakan: 2/2/1
    Lor Voskara: 2/2/0*

Above plagiarized from a Kingdom website.
    Haha I didn't even notice someone from my kingdom brought a duchy. While I know someone was interested. They are fucking insane for doing so. My dollar exchange rate to the US was sitting at 75 cents before all this started. It's been smashed to 57 cents. I can only assume they go to before it melted or they be paying such a mark up rate.

With just under 2 weeks left in March I'd like to ask where is the State of Elyria write up Caspian promised? Originally said it would be in December 2019...then he said once Settlers of Elyria launches he will release it...still waiting.
    As the event is not generating much cash I think he has bigger worries on his mind than the State of Elyria.

Kyleran

As the event is not generating much cash I think he has bigger worries on his mind than the State of Elyria.

People really might be waiting on the price to drop,  but that's serves to just escaberate the financial situation. 

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

If you are bored, just go read-read the old State of Elyria posts. Make a list of everything promised that was not delivered (nearly everything), and then post it on the main forum asking for updates on each item.  I mean, history has shown that his “update” is meaningless as it’s bullshit.

Unless you are so eager to get it because you are almost out of toilet paper.  In that case I understand.

His State of Elyria is just a hype tool to get the gullible to spend money.

Is anyone watching the store sales tracker?  It is barely moving. I am actually stunned.

In all seriousness, this is a flashing red danger signal for the project.

I think the ship has sailed for now on SOE.  Traffic might uptick if they were to successfully deliver their Parkour test demo and open it to all comers, but not likely to happen anytime soon.

edited March 2020
    Kyleran said:
    I think the ship has sailed for now on SOE.  Traffic might uptick if they were to successfully deliver their Parkour test demo and open it to all comers, but not likely to happen anytime soon.
    Do you honestly think that low-res single-player Parkour test is going to drive sales when it (to the consumer) is no different than most free plugin UE4 modules?  If that were the case that James Proctor would be rich.

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    Is anyone watching the store sales tracker?  It is barely moving. I am actually stunned.

In all seriousness, this is a flashing red danger signal for the project.
    The whales are collecting their funds for the upcoming Kickstarter Anniversary, which is less than 2 months from now (Their KS was May 9 2016 or around there).

No state of Elyria, another failed Settlers of Elyria where many are reporting serious issues and even calling for old maps back....and Caspian has to wonder how anyone will give him one penny once the KSV is up...you can expect plenty of new stretch goals and new items in the cash shop.
    Kyleran said:
    I say your post over there...  I do not think they get it.  This is legitimately a response in your thread:

"Pleasantly surprised so many people are still investing in expensive packages! Hopefully we get an extra dev or two out of all this to get an alpha out."

Total
    Disconnect
    From
    Reality

KyleranNilden

Kyleran said:
    I say your post over there...  I do not think they get it.  This is legitimately a response in your thread:

"Pleasantly surprised so many people are still investing in expensive packages! Hopefully we get an extra dev or two out of all this to get an alpha out."

Total
    Disconnect
    From
    Reality

Probably haven't seen the Gannt charts yet.

;)

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Kyleran said:

Total
    Disconnect
    From
    Reality

I'm almost to the point with these people that I am starting to suspect some (if not all) of the rampant positivity is generated by their plants.  I just don't understand how anyone *who isn't* an insider could be this gullible, or be getting something in return for their blinded, unwavering support.  It pushes my limits of belief to think there are people out there who are so willing to pay for the privilege of believing.

Total Disconnect from Reality doesn't even begin to approach it.  I guess every successful Three Card Monte entrepreneur needs an inside guy who walks off counting cash when the mark arrives.

Nilden

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Is SoE a failure?

Why, my good sir, not only is SoE a failure, but the entire project is. 
  • DeveronDeveron Member UncommonPosts: 60
    DSS came too soon, as people were choosing domains on insufficient and very likely to change data. SoE is a failure for the exact same reason, no matter how much they might sell.

Doesn’t matter tho. They still haven’t shown any reliable networking, nor database in action - not even in a web environment - and without that, quite frankly, there’s a zilch opportunity for a MMO here. 
    Slapshot1188KyleranTorrsk
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Ungood said:
    Ungood said:

I am not sure what pandemic you are referring to, but the Swine Flu (H1N1) of 2009, game companies across the board saw a massive slump that year.

But I do agree, that if any company was going to have an uptick, it would need to be a company with an actual product to give their players.
    Local news just reported that sales for gaming hardware, televisions, and board games are up due to coronavirus. It was for some local stores selling physical products, but if all those sales are up I'd imagine also digital game sales are likely up.

Source (in Finnish): https://www.is.fi/digitoday/art-2000006447029.html