Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Night Vision

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
Please tell me if some race has night vision (like wood elves and possibly some others in EQ).

And as a follow up question (I watch way too much news), what race would that be? :) 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Comments

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    edited March 2020
    Not for Volume I. Humans are the only playable race. 

There is the potential for when we bring Elenhi/Eldeni & Dwearhe into the world in Volume II, but unknown at this time. The idea is that they will have different types of inherent pros/cons depending on the animal or plant aspect you choose to associate with, as opposed to a blanket "all of them get X". 

Darkness is a mechanic that we want players working with; it's a type of survival mechanic requiring consumables like torches/lanterns. We wouldn't want to throw all of that down the drain by given large swaths of players immunity to it. 
    KyleranAmathe
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I get lost in broad daylight. Add darkness and I may have to just kill bunnies in my garden. 
    Kylerankitarad

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Renfail said:
    Not for Volume I. Humans are the only playable race. 

There is the potential for when we bring Elenhi/Eldeni & Dwearhe into the world in Volume II, but unknown at this time. The idea is that they will have different types of inherent pros/cons depending on the animal or plant aspect you choose to associate with, as opposed to a blanket "all of them get X". 

Darkness is a mechanic that we want players working with; it's a type of survival mechanic requiring consumables like torches/lanterns. We wouldn't want to throw all of that down the drain by given large swaths of players immunity to it. 
    Err, we aren't going to be required to actually hold torches in our hands will we? (In place of being able to hold a shield or 2nd weapon?)

One of the more silly aspects of a COE video last year showed a character swimming one handed while holding a torch above their heads with the other.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited March 2020
    I totally love the idea of darkness and using a torch. It's very old school and D&D like. Plus it's very immersive!

But it also would be great if you could grow out of that after a few levels or so by acquiring some ability that let you see without a light source.

Then again, I haven't played the game and maybe it is cooler when you actually experience it.  

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2020
    I hope when new races come in they are not using the same model like i see sooooo many games doing.

Another peeve i have that i have seen all but one game do properly is aggro systems.I can't stand the one distance aggro system that i see too often.So how is this game going to handle aggro,is there going to be sight and hearing and perhaps other types like bleeding etc etc?yeah i miss FFXI because it was so deep in design,however there is no reason games in 2020 can't match or better games from 2002.

Will mobs have varied resistances,both elemental and weapon type?

Will there be player to player combos with varied effects,results other than basic added dmg?
    Any chance of spike weapon damage through some mechanic,like how games buildup berserk or FFXI used TP "tactical points"?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited March 2020
    Yeah I remember in Everquest I was so lost in the dark and my poor sense of direction only helped me get even more lost. Once I fell into a well I think in Qeynos I drowned because I was not sure which way was up in the dark. I never found that corpse. It's probably still down there in the murky depths waiting for me to come and loot it.
    Amathe

Amathe said:
    I totally love the idea of darkness and using a torch. It's very old school and D&D like. Plus it's very immersive!

But it also would be great if you could grow out of that after a few levels or so by acquiring some ability that let you see without a light source.

Then again, I haven't played the game and maybe it is cooler when you actually experience it.  
    There are absolutely magical items in the world that can provide you with a light source. 

However, like all magical items in the realm, they rely on charges; nothing is infinite (until we bring magic back to the realm), so even if you do happen to come across something that can provide you with an alternative light source you'll still need to think about torches/lanterns/etc.

You don't want to get stuck in the depths of a pitch-black dungeon without a light source. 
    Renfail said:
    Amathe said:

There are absolutely magical items in the world that can provide you with a light source. 

However, like all magical items in the realm, they rely on charges; nothing is infinite (until we bring magic back to the realm), so even if you do happen to come across something that can provide you with an alternative light source you'll still need to think about torches/lanterns/etc.

You don't want to get stuck in the depths of a pitch-black dungeon without a light source. 
    No worries,  just hearthstone out, right? :*

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Folks only wish they were lucky enough to have a recall ;) 

There ain't no easy way out. If you fought your way, you'll be fighting your way back out, just like in early EverQuest :) 
    Amathe
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Is this something that can be circumvented by changing gamma settings?  That is usually the drawback.  I’m fumbling around in the dark while someone has changed a config file or something else which lets them see.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Is this something that can be circumvented by changing gamma settings?  That is usually the drawback.  I’m fumbling around in the dark while someone has changed a config file or something else which lets them see.
    To some degree, but we've purposefully made dark in such a way that cranking up the gamma washes everything out and then you can't really see anything from the whitewash. Especially in dungeons where it's pitch black anyway (without light sources, natural or otherwise). 
    Kyleran
    edited March 2020
    Renfail said:
    Kyleran said:

There ain't no easy way out. If you fought your way, you'll be fighting your way back out, just like in early EverQuest :) 
    Ahh, so the Pirate's Code will likely be in effect.   "Thems who falls behind (or have to log out for 'reasons') gets left behind."

Alone...and in the dark.

:# 

edited March 2020
    Kyleran said:
    Renfail said:
    Kyleran said:

Ahh, so the Pirate's Code will likely be in effect.   "Thems who falls behind (or have to log out for 'reasons') gets left behind."

Alone...and in the dark.

:# 

"reasons" 

But yes, mostly. 

We're already working on having campsites/safe spots within dungeons, since we are building things large enough to support weeks of dungeon delving as opposed to 15-30 minute "hard mode" runs, and the theory we've toyed around with is having some type of fast-travel via a waypoint system within dungeons, that you first need to attune yourself to, or earn faction for, in order to use. 

The working theory would then be that once you have discovered a waypoint/campsite, you can then use it to at the very least teleport yourself back to the start of the dungeon if you have to leave.

A lot of edge cases we have to work out, but we do want to provide some type of alternative for those players who have "reasons" for needing to bail on an adventure early, without allowing them to simply recall back to town (since that crosses our threshold of "ezmode"). 

And also for getting new players down INTO the depths of a dungeon, without having some form of ezmode skip-all-the-content summon or spell like Call of Hero. 

But yeah, if you are planning on heading into a dungeon session in our game, it's like back in EverQuest; it's a planned adventure, something you know is going to take 2-4 hours at the very least, and if you want to explore the whole dungeon it's going to be several sessions at the very least. 

My favorite was Mistmoore back in the day. We did six weeks there one time, without ever leaving. Just sent our druid out to sell loot for everyone once a night, and the rest of us stayed at the closest safe spot we could find, progressively working our way deeper and deeper into the dungeon until we had cleared it all. 

15 minute hard modes. Guffaw. 

Kyleran
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I just hope that the game doesn't exclude the torch-holders, mule-tenders, camp followers and cooks from all the juicy XP.  Support roles are important too!  How's your porter ever going to reach level 7 otherwise?

And no Fire-Beetle eyes that mysteriously light the way from the recesses of someone's pack, please.  Even the context of 'fantasy game' and 'Suspension of Disbelief' doesn't always cover neglecting that simple law of physics.  Opacity is a thing.  Well, it used to be, before security concerns at airports and ballparks forced a glut of transparent containers on society. :*

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:

And no Fire-Beetle eyes that mysteriously light the way from the recesses of someone's pack, please. 

Stop telling him stuff lol! I still had some left over from EQ. 
    Kyleran

• moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    edited March 2020
    Mendel said:
    I just hope that the game doesn't exclude the torch-holders, mule-tenders, camp followers and cooks from all the juicy XP.  Support roles are important too!  How's your porter ever going to reach level 7 otherwise?

And no Fire-Beetle eyes that mysteriously light the way from the recesses of someone's pack, please.  Even the context of 'fantasy game' and 'Suspension of Disbelief' doesn't always cover neglecting that simple law of physics.  Opacity is a thing.  Well, it used to be, before security concerns at airports and ballparks forced a glut of transparent containers on society. :*

Firebeetle eye could have been fastened to the side of the bag.  It's not that unbelievable.  Atleast not as unbelievable as having a bag that can hold so much inventory.
    Amathe
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Or a lantern attached to the waist.

AmatheKyleran

Mendel said:

There are no experience points in our game. But you must be involved in combat to earn progression in your skills (i.e. you only get skillups from successful use of abilities). So support roles need to be just as actively involved as the front-line folks if they want to keep their skills up. 

If you ain't wielding it, it ain't able to be considered in-use. Things in your backpack are inherently "inert". 
    Amathe
    New plan, and one I expect to use often.

"We attack at dawn." 
    Kyleran

Amathe said:
    New plan, and one I expect to use often.

"We attack at dawn." 

I dunno, fog is pretty thick at dawn =P 

More like "we attack at brunch!" 
    Amathe
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Dayz Mod back in the day did night time pretty good. You definitely had to change your playstyle at night.
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    NorseGod said:
    Dayz Mod back in the day did night time pretty good. You definitely had to change your playstyle at night.
    That's the intent. Darkness is a mechanic for us, and you absolutely have to adjust your playstyle when the sun goes down (or you head into the depths of a dungeon).