Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pillars of Eternity or Tyranny?

FuryVFuryV Member UncommonPosts: 515
edited March 2020 in General Gaming

After playing the Divinity: Origin Sin games, I've been wanting to play another kind of game like this, where I can level up my characters, find better gear, get immersed in the lore etc.

I came across Pillars of Eternity & Tyranny, which both seem good. I know they're not turn based like Divinity, but that doesn't matter to me. My question is, which of these two would you suggest? If you suggest both, which should I play first?

I've been watching some PoE gameplay, but there seems to be SO MUCH reading to do. I just finished the game 'Vampyr', and the amount of reading & conversations with NPCs in that game made me so bored by the time I'd finished it, so I'm not quite sure whether I'll feel the same about PoE, especially considering it's not voice acted.

It's not that I'm a complete dunce who's unable to read, but I like there to at least be a decent balance between things like exploration, reading, combat, gearing up etc.  Whereas from what I've seen so far of PoE, it seems that the majority of the game is non voice acted reading every couple of minutes, with pages upon pages of dialogue.

Which would you suggest out of these two games?

Either that, or I buy Just Cause 4 for some mindless fun, without much thinking involved haha.  That's my 3rd option at the moment.

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    I have both.... but prefer PoE, it's the better game IMO.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• MaridMarid Member UncommonPosts: 128
    I did several playthroughs of Pillars of Eternity. Great game. Never played Tyranny so I can't comment on it. 
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I guess it's just the way that games are going these days along with TV and everything else, but the lighthearted fun that was spun together with saving the world from oppressing evil in games like Baldur's Gate, is just not present in these games.

PoE and Tyranny are all of the grim, dark and oppressing evil bits without any of the fun, joy and adventurous spirit of their predecessors.

I honestly loathed both games and couldn't bring myself to finish either one.

I would only recommend dipping my toes into either game at the lowest price point, and, of the two, PoE plays better, even if the world and story are soul sucking and depressing.
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 556
    I LOVE Tyranny. But both are great games worth your time.
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Pillars for sure especially the first one
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    H0urg1ass said:
    I guess it's just the way that games are going these days along with TV and everything else, but the lighthearted fun that was spun together with saving the world from oppressing evil in games like Baldur's Gate, is just not present in these games. MyCFAVisit

PoE and Tyranny are all of the grim, dark and oppressing evil bits without any of the fun, joy and adventurous spirit of their predecessors.

I would only recommend dipping my toes into either game at the lowest price point, and, of the two, PoE plays better, even if the world and story are soul sucking and depressing.
    Thank you so much your site has nice content
    Oh, it's not my site.  I just pop in once or twice a month to see what people are talking about.   :)
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Both.
    AlBQuirky
    edited April 2020
    H0urg1ass said:
    H0urg1ass said:
    I guess it's just the way that games are going these days along with TV and everything else, but the lighthearted fun that was spun together with saving the world from oppressing evil in games like Baldur's Gate, is just not present in these games. MyCFAVisit

Thank you so much your site has nice content
    Oh, it's not my site.  I just pop in once or twice a month to see what people are talking about.   :)

Not certain but that poster may be an adbot. See that odd link that got inserted into the text quoted from you? Flagged it as such.
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited April 2020
    muryan said:
    I guess you can follow [fucking adbot site] to get some additional info
    Too bad your website has NOTHING to do with either game.

Can we PLEASE do something to limit NEW posters from posting links? Please?

PS: This is 4th adbot I've flagged in 10 minutes of reading JUST The Pub and General Gaming...
    ScotGdemami

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

AlBQuirky said:
    muryan said:
    I guess you can follow [fucking adbot site] to get some additional info
    Too bad your website has NOTHING to do with either game.

Can we PLEASE do something to limit NEW posters from posting links? Please?

PS: This is 4th adbot I've flagged in 10 minutes of reading JUST The Pub and General Gaming...
    Well at least its not the one asking if our cocks were free, the garbled language did raise a smile.
    AlBQuirky
  • luizebaluizeba Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    PoE is a more polished game. Both are good, but PoE is better
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    FuryV said:

After playing the Divinity: Origin Sin games, I've been wanting to play another kind of game like this, where I can level up my characters, find better gear, get immersed in the lore etc.

I came across Pillars of Eternity & Tyranny, which both seem good. I know they're not turn based like Divinity, but that doesn't matter to me. My question is, which of these two would you suggest? If you suggest both, which should I play first?

I've been watching some PoE gameplay, but there seems to be SO MUCH reading to do. I just finished the game 'Vampyr', and the amount of reading & conversations with NPCs in that game made me so bored by the time I'd finished it, so I'm not quite sure whether I'll feel the same about PoE, especially considering it's not voice acted.

It's not that I'm a complete dunce who's unable to read, but I like there to at least be a decent balance between things like exploration, reading, combat, gearing up etc.  Whereas from what I've seen so far of PoE, it seems that the majority of the game is non voice acted reading every couple of minutes, with pages upon pages of dialogue.

Which would you suggest out of these two games?

Either that, or I buy Just Cause 4 for some mindless fun, without much thinking involved haha.  That's my 3rd option at the moment.

Just an FYI, PoE2 has an excellent turn-based mode as an option.
  • foxgirlfoxgirl Member RarePosts: 485
    I think POE is better. The races are more interesting, and well there's more than human like Tyranny too.