Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Announcement of an up and coming 3rd Expansion

botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
Yes, you are reading it right. A.Net, on the GW2 web page, announced they are working on a 3rd expansion for the game. THe artwork shown was 'Cantha-like'. Could it be?

Comments

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,854
    In the section titled "Glimpse of the Distant Future"
  • UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,532
    Chances are, I will be passing on this Expansion. While I started playing GW2 again with my Static, I have barely touched HoT or PoF, as we mainly WvW.

In fact, I have not even bothered to unlock the living stories I have missed while away, and I used to love doing that.. just.. not feeling this game much anymore, it's just a window to play with old friends that live a long way away from me.

So unless they put in some stupid Elite Spec that I need to unlock to remain viable in WvW, or my static pulls an OMFS! We must Play  this Expansion! I don't see myself plunking down the coin for this.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Ungood said:
    Chances are, I will be passing on this Expansion. While I started playing GW2 again with my Static, I have barely touched HoT or PoF, as we mainly WvW.

In fact, I have not even bothered to unlock the living stories I have missed while away, and I used to love doing that.. just.. not feeling this game much anymore, it's just a window to play with old friends that live a long way away from me.

So unless they put in some stupid Elite Spec that I need to unlock to remain viable in WvW, or my static pulls an OMFS! We must Play  this Expansion! I don't see myself plunking down the coin for this.

To each his own. At least they are thinking/planning. With all the layoffs, etc. it says something about the company.

botrytis said:
    Ungood said:

To each his own. At least they are thinking/planning. With all the layoffs, etc. it says something about the company.
    Oh, it says a lot, especially since they flat out said they were not going to make a 3rd expansion.

So this is not, in any way, something I am in fact happy to see happen, not that my happiness with the game matters, but, it's just another spin and back tracking on what they say their plans are vs what they  end up doing, and how little anyone can really believe or trust them at what they say.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Ungood said:
    botrytis said:
    Ungood said:

Oh, it says a lot, especially since they flat out said they were not going to make a 3rd expansion.

So this is not, in any way, something I am in fact happy to see happen, not that my happiness with the game matters, but, it's just another spin and back tracking on what they say their plans are vs what they  end up doing, and how little anyone can really believe or trust them at what they say.
    Well, the people that said no expansion are no longer with the company. Maybe that is where some of the problems lie?

• JensynJensyn Member UncommonPosts: 158
    Wow, that's crazy. I just re-downloaded both GW and GW2 yesterday and was doing some googling about Cantha conspiracy possibilities on my lunch break today. Please, please be Cantha. :o
    Bookmarks are for quitters. 
    botrytis said:
    Ungood said:
    botrytis said:
    Ungood said:

Well, the people that said no expansion are no longer with the company. Maybe that is where some of the problems lie?
    Did they lose another CEO or did they fire their head game designer Mike Zadorojny ?

Ungood said:
    botrytis said:
    Ungood said:
    botrytis said:
    Ungood said:

Did they lose another CEO or did they fire their head game designer Mike Zadorojny ?

They did lay off 143 developers as of March 1st.....

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/guild-wars-2-developer-arenanet-confirms-layoffs-canceled-projects/

botrytis said:
    Ungood said:
    botrytis said:
    Ungood said:
    botrytis said:
    Ungood said:

https://www.geekwire.com/2019/guild-wars-2-developer-arenanet-confirms-layoffs-canceled-projects/
    I am aware of this, Mike O also stepped down as well..

Ungood said:
    botrytis said:
    Ungood said:
    botrytis said:
    Ungood said:
    botrytis said:
    Ungood said:

I am aware of this, Mike O also stepped down as well..
    As was stated, maybe the previous management didn't wan an expansion but NCSoft did? That could be one possibility.

Just thinking out loud.

• MaridMarid Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Whatever the 3rd expansion is I hope it includes hireable mercs so that I can do the content that I want to do when I what to do it.
    Ungood
    Marid said:
    Whatever the 3rd expansion is I hope it includes hireable mercs so that I can do the content that I want to do when I what to do it.
    I hope not, that was the downfall of GW1 to me. 
    UNH0LYEV1L

botrytis said:
    Marid said:

Oh, really? How was that the downfall of GW1?
    Marid said:
    botrytis said:
    Marid said:

Well, people just doing things solo. Very hard to get a group. I enjoyed the aspect of running with people, it was fun.

I even remember the Thunderhead Keep Monk strike, 3 months after game release.

botrytis said:
    Marid said:
    botrytis said:
    Marid said:

Well, people just doing things solo. Very hard to get a group. I enjoyed the aspect of running with people, it was fun.

It is hard to get a group in GW2 because most people have quit playing the game...that's why hireable mercs are needed/necessary. I like playing in the daytime, unfortunately I can't do the things I want/need to do because most people have quit playing, and the few thousand who are playing have to work in the daytime...so, the game is effectively dead in the daytime, leaving me to look for something else to play. These days, I only login at the daily reset to do my dailies and maybe do a couple of the HoT metas, if I'm lucky...I've given up on everything else.

UngoodAsm0deus
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    botrytis said:
    Marid said:
    botrytis said:
    Marid said:

But... henchmen were part of GW1 from pretty much the beginning, so if that was the downfall of GW1, then I guess GW1 was nothing but a steady decline?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869
    edited March 2020
    Marid said:
    botrytis said:
    Marid said:
    botrytis said:
    Marid said:

It is hard to get a group in GW2 because most people have quit playing the game...that's why hireable mercs are needed/necessary. I like playing in the daytime, unfortunately I can't do the things I want/need to do because most people have quit playing, and the few thousand who are playing have to work in the daytime...so, the game is effectively dead in the daytime, leaving me to look for something else to play. These days, I only login at the daily reset to do my dailies and maybe do a couple of the HoT metas, if I'm lucky...I've given up on everything else.

Form your own groups using the group finder, don't try to join the ones that are up. (Since those won't show up on the group finder when they fill up, so it is harder to find them) There are plenty of people playing, but most of them are already grouped. It also depends on content, Dungeons are all but dead for example. (They are not really supported anyways) People do Fractals all the time. I think maybe an issue with Fractals could be finding lower tier groups though as most people are probably doing the higher stuff.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    I ask myself if this announcement is enough to save GW2 from rapid decline?

dont think we will see Cantha anytime before summer 2021

this gives me time to hunt vampires in Skyrim
    and after that visit the afterlife in WoW

while playing GW2 on the side

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Celcius said:
    Marid said:
    botrytis said:
    Marid said:
    botrytis said:
    Marid said:

Form your own groups using the group finder, don't try to join the ones that are up. (Since those won't show up on the group finder when they fill up, so it is harder to find them) There are plenty of people playing, but most of them are already grouped. It also depends on content, Dungeons are all but dead for example. (They are not really supported anyways) People do Fractals all the time. I think maybe an issue with Fractals could be finding lower tier groups though as most people are probably doing the higher stuff.
    If people felt confident enough to form and start their own groups, they would not be looking for them.

I think everyone that says what you just said.. really misses that bandwagon.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    At least GW2 is still getting content.

Meanwhile, I'm a sad panda over in Age of Conan land where "new content" is just old content rearranged.

For instance, players were getting bored of running the Tier 4 dungeons introduced in 2010, so they finally came out with Tier 5 raids in 2016!!

... which were just the Tier 1 raid bosses with more HP and rearranged effects.
    Ungood
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    H0urg1ass said:

Meanwhile, I'm a sad panda over in Age of Conan land where "new content" is just old content rearranged.

For instance, players were getting bored of running the Tier 4 dungeons introduced in 2010, so they finally came out with Tier 5 raids in 2016!!

Actually, it looks like they got ittogether again at Arenanet, seems content is flowing again..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    H0urg1ass said:

Actually, it looks like they got ittogether again at Arenanet, seems content is flowing again..
    The issue with the game is that the content they're adding isn't the right kind of content.  There is barely anything to do unless you chain run Meta Events or run Fractals.  There are raids, but, that's not exactly a lot of content for that crowd.

There aren't enough Group-oriented content corners in the game.  It feels more like Diablo III than an actual MMORPG.  I think ESO is a similar game that actually got that part of the game right.  There are tons of dungeons and tons of group-oriented things to do.

This is the problem I continuously run into with GW2.  There is more to do in the game than the average ARPG, but at the same time less... because a lot of the extra stuff in GW2 is functionaly worthless and nothing more than a literal waste of your time (Collections, Map Completion, etc.).

Raid Content is thin.  Older dungeons are obsolete, though there are fractals.  Most overland content is easily soloable by any class.  Just spend $5 getting a bit of gold through their marketplace and buy Exotic Gear off the TP.

In addition to that, the game is almost unplayable if you prefer ranged caster classes.  Almost 90% of the decent specs in the game are melee ranged, or so close to it that there isn't any functional difference.  For group play, many Condition Builds are either weak, or have been nerfed into the ground because they were strong when introduced (i.e. Scourge).

I can't speak of the PvP, but I'd probably prefer to play something like ESO or even WoW for RBGs and Arena than play GW2 for PvP (personal preference).

Also, the game doesn't seem to be "thriving," per se.  Definitely a lot less players than they used to have.  Hard AF to find groups, and you can barely find a decent guild, anymore, even if you ask.  Many are filled with inactives, though there are a few active guilds left (but I'm not that into the game that I'd want to join those even if they asked, anyways).
    botrytis
    Sorry raids? Hot is all group activity as you can't really survive there w/o it. World bosses? WOW, I guess you really haven't played the game at all.

There are plenty of people and guil.ds out there. They are just being more choosy in guild members. I would never pickup a player that spams in map chat 'LFG' sorry.