Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkpaw Game's New Head of Studio Releases Letters To EverQuest Communities

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageDarkpaw Game's New Head of Studio Releases Letters To EverQuest Communities

In a brace of letters released to the EverQuest communities, new Darkpaw Studios head Jennifer Chan addressed the community. This comes almost a week after it was announced former head of studio Holly Longdale was stepping down from her role.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Dear Ms. Chan:

Welcome.

EQ3?
    lotrlorePuReDusTkitaradhuparojoArcueidValdheim

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

edited March 2020

DMKano said:

Amathe said:

Dear Ms. Chan:

Welcome.

EQ3?

I think EQ3 would end up being some kind of a battle royale survival hybrid... no thanks.

This studio is incapable of making a good new game, so EQ3? No thanks . Also Smedly said before he left that they already tried like 3 internal iterations of "EQ3" before EQNext and it all was scrapped.

So again no.

Stop stepping on my dreams. I know I have as much chance of getting a good EQ3 as I have with my open flirtation with Megan Fox. Maybe less chance, considering that Megan Fox actually exists. But hey, it's something to dream about.
    ChildoftheShadows

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644
    WTF working on the next expansion ?? maybe they can fix this expansion first hahahahahah

would be nice if they finished this expansion before forcing us to buy another Expansion
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    xD_Gaming said:
    eq3 will be mobile #xD
    If there was a EQ3 it would be imo borderline crap but i would agree with your guess,it might also be Mobile friendly.

There are two things that crossed my mind,Ms Chan is likely paid less than Holy and or it was simply cutting costs,i do not think she stepped down willingly.These changes happen for a reason,like the new studio,these are all business decisions and ones relating to a struggling business.

I do not know exactly how to bend the law  in my favor as a business but i am 100% certain this whole restructuring is to save them money,lower costs.

There are two other thoughts....

1 What on earth did Smedley sell these guys,like what was his sales pitch?My assumption was "LOOK how much money we already made with H1Z1,just imagine what we can do with an EQ3".
    2 So is this the last year for this studio or are they actually going to TRY and survive and perhaps come out with a new game?

IMO,they will operate similar to Funcom and Trion,they will try to put out some super fast,low cost piles of junk to stir up cash flow,maybe even a mobile game or two.
    [Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited March 2020
    Rhoklaw said:
    We already have EQ3 in development.

It's called Pantheon.
    I hear you. I'm sure it will have some EQ elements (e.g., no map, slower combat, etc.). And certainly it had the head EQ dev for a while to oversee the Vision. I'm just not sure it is going to feel like EQ to me. More like Vanguard.

Not bashing it, and I certainly will play it, but I would love for Daybreak to put together a gold star team of devs who are actually very familiar with EQ and try again. 
    Valdheim

• EQN13EQN13 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    edited March 2020
    DBG already said she was a "for Now" choice.
    DBG should have just made a new version of EQ1 with updated graphics. That's why people backed Brad's project Pantheon to begin with. if DBG remade EQ1 with new graphics and released before pantheon, I think pantheon would crash and burn before it ever releases.
    DBG is too stupid to know what to do with the EQ franchise so they will go bankrupt instead.
    Burt chin is just a nobody that will be gone soon. DBG will can her soon as they start running out of money.
  • sausagemixsausagemix Member UncommonPosts: 96

EQN13 said:

DBG already said she was a "for Now" choice.

DBG should have just made a new version of EQ1 with updated graphics. That's why people backed Brad's project Pantheon to begin with. if DBG remade EQ1 with new graphics and released before pantheon, I think pantheon would crash and burn before it ever releases.

DBG is too stupid to know what to do with the EQ franchise so they will go bankrupt instead.

Burt chin is just a nobody that will be gone soon. DBG will can her soon as they start running out of money.

i dunno if they will go bankrupt though. Its been years without a new game and they can't be gaining any substantial new players with such ancient games. Last I had heard a wealthy Chinese American business man bought them. But how do they pay for their offices, staff, benefits, utilities, maintenance, servers, equipment, or even afford to develop expansions while staying so static for so long?
    @above poster...

This has to do with WHY they opened up these new LLC's,3 of them 
    1 Dimensional Ink
    2 Darkpaw games
    3 Rogue Planet

There are several factors that come into play.One is taxes,tax breaks,exploits and by dividing into 3 smaller studios they can most certainly be taxed on a lower level than one giant as a whole.

The main Daybreak will be independent ,it's own LLC while these three will have their own tax settings.

There is another factor,if they decide to or maybe already have plans to sell one of the studios,it is easier this way.

I don't work for them,nor do i see their books but i can speculate there is some exploits and money moving around here.I would even go so far to say that each business will be charging the other businesses for work..sub contracts etc etc.

At the end of the day,they likely pay no taxes,so everything is profit.This owner of Daybreak is a relative of a Russian Ogliarch,you think he doesn't have connections on how to exploit and make money...haha.

What does it all mean to the gamer,well it's still a guessing game,from day 1 i couldn't figure out this purchase but there is a case for an outsider to access American business loopholes by operating a business within the USA.Apparently there are  ways for a foreign business owner to not be personally subject to the IRS,yeah you know all those loopholes and how you structure your business.

This all could mean nothing or it could mean lot's.Apparently they are working on new games,maybe there is a potential sale of one of the studios incoming,maybe this is just a last ditch effort to more profits and less taxes.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited March 2020
    The SHORT story?

I think it tells me they are TRYING,they are not giving up or close to giving up.I figure they will simply restructure or take a new look on how to operate after another year goes by.

I am certain we will see perhaps a new game in each of the 3 studios or at least i should say a new expansion to existing games albeit there is definitely at least one new game being worked on.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Amathe said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    We already have EQ3 in development.

It's called Pantheon.
    I hear you. I'm sure it will have some EQ elements (e.g., no map, slower combat, etc.). And certainly it had the head EQ dev for a while to oversee the Vision. I'm just not sure it is going to feel like EQ to me. More like Vanguard.

Not bashing it, and I certainly will play it, but I would love for Daybreak to put together a gold star team of devs who are actually very familiar with EQ and try again. 
    With what money, though?  They can't even put together a decent EQ or EQ2 expansion now.  There's zero chance of them developing a whole new MMORPG worthy of the EQ3 name.  Maybe if some outside investor with deep pockets takes a chance and buys the rights to the franchise, but what are the odds of that after the failure of EQN and the general decline of the genre?
  • SulherokSulherok Member UncommonPosts: 24