Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saga of Lucimia Interview Part 2 - Inspirations And More

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageSaga of Lucimia Interview Part 2 - Inspirations And More

In part 2 of our interview with Saga of Lucimia's creative director, Tim Anderson, the developer chats with us about inspirations for his MMORPG, why group content is a focus and more.

Read the full story here

pantarobcbully

Comments

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Excellent article. Awesome game. Can't wait to play it.
    RenfailSlyLoKpantaroLeFantome

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638

Amathe said:

Excellent article. Awesome game. Can't wait to play it.

So far so good. Glad you are excited :)
    AmatheLeFantome
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    The store reopens on the 18th of this month right? Might grab a package to support you guys.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:
    The store reopens on the 18th of this month right? Might grab a package to support you guys.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Yep. 

I'd urge you to wait until you've watched the preview stream on the evening of the 18th, to make sure you aren't throwing money away (unless you want to just randomly throw cash at us, in which case, yay!). 

The store will open at noon and folks who have been waiting on the edge of their seats the past couple of weeks as we've ramped up previews can pick up a pre-order, but for folks who want some more info, we'll be doing our "big" preview stream on the evening of, at 8 p.m. on our Twitch channel. 

It's set to be a 2 - 4 hour deep-dive, and we'll be showcasing a lot more of what's going on in Stage Three so folks can know exactly what they are getting for their money when they pick up a pre-order. We don't want anyone giving us any money unless they truly know what they are getting, what they are supporting, and how frequently they'll be testing. 
    lahnmirRexKushmanXardupantaroSovrathSailorMom
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Renfail said:
    lahnmir said:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Yep. 

I'd urge you to wait until you've watched the preview stream on the evening of the 18th, to make sure you aren't throwing money away (unless you want to just randomly throw cash at us, in which case, yay!). 

The store will open at noon and folks who have been waiting on the edge of their seats the past couple of weeks as we've ramped up previews can pick up a pre-order, but for folks who want some more info, we'll be doing our "big" preview stream on the evening of, at 8 p.m. on our Twitch channel. 

It's set to be a 2 - 4 hour deep-dive, and we'll be showcasing a lot more of what's going on in Stage Three so folks can know exactly what they are getting for their money when they pick up a pre-order. We don't want anyone giving us any money unless they truly know what they are getting, what they are supporting, and how frequently they'll be testing. 
    I’m not concerned about the testing, I am in a EU timezone anyways. I’ve crowdfunded well over 25 projects and never regretted any of them, even when they didn’t make it out of development hell. 

So, I guess I will just be throwing cash at you guys randomly, unless supporting your hobby through the means available to you as a consumer aren’t random and you put your money where your mouth is. In which case I am fully aware of what I am doing  ;) Godspeed

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    pantarobcbully
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    there was a time i used to roll my eyes at @renfail comments. over time i have learned to appreciate his perspective on the genre and this is a really great article. absolutely loved the responses. especially bringing crafters along because they have an actual purpose in the group and i think the group size so everyone has a place is really great as well,unlike the unless your the top dps no one is ever gonna wanna group with you.

The last time i ever raided in an mmorpg was when the group i ran with started caring more about the loot at any cost than downing bosses with friends and having fun while doing it,haven't touched raiding since.

It's nice to see there are still devs out there wanting to create an immersive mmorpg that hasnt forgotten where the RPG came from before the genre went mainstream!
    Renfail
    pantaro said:
    there was a time i used to roll my eyes at @renfail comments. over time i have learned to appreciate his perspective on the genre and this is a really great article. absolutely loved the responses. especially bringing crafters along because they have an actual purpose in the group and i think the group size so everyone has a place is really great as well,unlike the unless your the top dps no one is ever gonna wanna group with you.

The last time i ever raided in an mmorpg was when the group i ran with started caring more about the loot at any cost than downing bosses with friends and having fun while doing it,haven't touched raiding since.

It's nice to see there are still devs out there wanting to create an immersive mmorpg that hasnt forgotten where the RPG came from before the genre went mainstream!
    Cheers
    pantaro
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Keyword though is >>evolve.

It is not as simple as saying ,this is the roots,i loved that era ,so let's do this.Nothing in life is perfect,always room to improve and make ideas,implementation better.

The first iteration of games felt amazing because there was nothing to compare them to,they WERE IT.Well i have stated many times that sure back in 99 EQ was a great idea but now....not a chance in hell.

I do not want to go back in time and erase all that we have learned ,ignore bad ideas just because "we had fun back in the day".Life doesn't work like that,you cannot relive the past,you live,you learn and move on to hopefully BETTER things,better ideas,better games,better game systems,better game worlds,better game npc's etc etc.
    Mendelbcbullyborghive49NarugLeFantome

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• bentrimbentrim Member UncommonPosts: 299
    I love the fact there will be no PVP in this game....FINALLY devs who understand what a TRUE MMORPG is! Cant wait for this one!! And to Wizardry...we DO have something to compare them to now...and they(old school MMORPGs) are STILL MUCH BETTER!!
    bcbullypantaro
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    “So even though the RPG is our flagship, we’ve got other things that we’re working on as well.”

Can't wait for the Battle Royale!!!!
    Or LucimiZ survival/zombie game!

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    bentrim said:
    I love the fact there will be no PVP in this game....FINALLY devs who understand what a TRUE MMORPG is! Cant wait for this one!! And to Wizardry...we DO have something to compare them to now...and they(old school MMORPGs) are STILL MUCH BETTER!!
    Damn so EQ, AO, SWG, UO, DAoC, AC... None of them were "TRUE MMORPG" apparently. 
    ChildoftheShadowsbcbullypantaro
    “So even though the RPG is our flagship, we’ve got other things that we’re working on as well.”

Can't wait for the Battle Royale!!!!
    Or LucimiZ survival/zombie game!

Ooooh, a Saga survival game. Free to play, with a cash shop to boot!

As of this writing, the MMORPG is the only digital product we have in the works. Everything else is novel-related, or tabletop-related. 

Everything else is a post-launch mystery at this point. If the demand is there, we would be happy to build a single player RPG or a mobile game based on the IP, but that's all secondary at this point.  
    edited March 2020
    Utinni….I suppose if you want to count the few pvp servers, which FOLDED. Look, it just DOESNT work, EVERYONE has tried...and NO ONE has succeeded! And just because you have some form of PVP implemented (PVP servers), doesn't mean it is anything but a WEAK attempt by companies to hook a few more fish to cook up!
    ChildoftheShadowsbcbully
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    bentrim said:
    Utinni….I suppose if you want to count the few pvp servers, which FOLDED. Look, it just DOESNT work, EVERYONE has tried...and NO ONE has succeeded!
    Ok, buddy. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    This is one of a couple of articles which have been already pushed to the second or third page of the articles list. Cash shop news is pushing the good stuff off the front page, I do realise they are kept on the picture slide show mind you. We need a Interview/Column/Opinion button next to the article one so we don't miss what we come to this site for.

I presume the plan is to slowly drum up interest for 2021 and its good that they have given a year as long as they don't feel bound to it.

Oh and I prefer some PvP myself preferably RvR, but do not feel the need to insist all MMO's released have to be RvR. ;)
    Scot said:

I presume the plan is to slowly drum up interest for 2021 and its good that they have given a year as long as they don't feel bound to it.

You would not be wrong. Otherwise, why even bother mentioning Stage Three, or do any press, or etc.

We just signed up a couple more streamers to our affiliate program yesterday, more coming on later this week, and more again next week, then we have our stream on the 18th of March with the re-opening of the pre-order store, followed by more press with media outlets, then Q&A vodcasts/podcasts throughout the rest of March, followed by an entire month of celebrations with the kickoff of Stage Three and then...

Well then there is the rest of 2020 as we continue fleshing out our game and moving towards Stage Four, which is beta, coming mid-2021. 

Did we mention we're hiring? And that we've got new investors coming on board over the next few months, and that we already signed two new ones in February? 

LOTS going on in the Stormhaven Studios realm.
    ScotbentrimKyleran
    edited March 2020
    Guys Iam talking about implementing them BOTH together, not on separate servers, or an MMO designed FOR PVP. There has NOT been 1 that SUCCESSFULLY IMPLEMENTED both together.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I do't live in an inspiration world,i have my OWN ideas of how i like to see a mmorpg made and in reality,this studio is too small ,has NO CHANCE to deliver a real good mmorpg.

The closest i have seen to what i want resides within FFXI,sad nobody has upped the game in the past 18 years.
    An idea like the Besieged event,where the real world npc's attack the city and the players have to come to the aid or some of the npc's might be captured removing them and their services from the game.Players can then go into the real world and kill those boss npc's and recover the npc's.

That was done on a PS2 no less so of course it had to be scaled down but SE still did an AMAZING job considering.

This is why i laugh when i see the marketing and specs for some PS5 and all the sad sack computer mmorpg's.Not one single developer is delivering CONTENT,everything is just a treadmill,there is no WORLD just a randomized set of assets so they can lay down some npc's.

The perfect game for me would be a cross between Atlas and FFXI and still there would be room to improve,a LOT of room to improve.We are not getting even HALF the effort developers could be giving us,this is why these mmorpg's should not even be rated a 5/10.

I also don't buy excuses,if a develoepr can't afford to do the genre justice,make a game in a genre you can afford,mmorpg's are not meant to be a Diablo or Fortnite game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.