Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest Executive Producer Leaves Darkpaw Games

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageEverQuest Executive Producer Leaves Darkpaw Games

In a post on the EverQuest website today, the franchise's executive producer Holly "Windstalker" Longdale has stepped down from her role with the franchise. Technical Director Jennifer Chan will be stepping into the role, having worked alongside Longdale for the past five years, according to the post.

Read the full story here

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• BarelyEinsteinBarelyEinstein Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Good luck to her, I hope she finds a nice new home.
  • saltyEQsaltyEQ Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    edited March 2020
    Good change, Holly was pretty worthless. EQEmu has a larger population, more customization options, EQ in Unreal, EQ in Unity, EQ on Mobile, EQ on Browser, EQ on Augmented Reality, EQ on VR, EQ on Kinect, etc.

If holly had a brain in her head, she could of accomplished 30% of what the 3rd party community has. But instead, she has pretty much nothing good to show for her "work". Just another random grunt with a career they shouldn't have because of lack of vision and imagination.

We have straight up passed EQLive in every way imaginable in terms of development and game direction.

There are WAY more passionate EQ players that have tremendous development ability to lead a team to victory. Holly, did not.
    mazutSlyLoKstrawhat0981seraphis79jimmywolfgastovski1VezlinBrunlin
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    saltyEQ said:
    Good change, Holly was pretty worthless. EQEmu has a larger population, more customization options, EQ in Unreal, EQ in Unity, EQ on Mobile, EQ on Browser, EQ on Augmented Reality, EQ on VR, EQ on Kinect, etc.

If holly had a brain in her head, she could of accomplished 30% of what the 3rd party community has. But instead, she has pretty much nothing good to show for her "work". Just another random grunt with a career they shouldn't have because of lack of vision and imagination.

We have straight up passed EQLive in every way imaginable in terms of development and game direction.

There are WAY more passionate EQ players that have tremendous development ability to lead a team to victory. Holly, did not.
    Do these things you speak of actually exist or just projects people have been stringing along?
    SovrathitchmonVezlin
  • KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,556
    This has been expected. 

Haemorrhaging people over each quarter of last year, then the divestment strategy to easily sell off IP to respective buyers, and with DPG being headed by Holly, her leaving may be of her choice because she knows full well the IP is going to either be sold off or closed.
    LackingMMO
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    saltyEQ said:

What was your account name you were using the last time you "left" these forums? 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    This could mean a new direction for EQ. Interesting.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766

saltyEQ said:

Do these things you speak of actually exist or just projects people have been stringing along?

Yeah what? EQ Augmented Reality? EQ on Kinect?
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    IDK,more vague news,what does this even mean?IS she leaving because she knows the studio is just a money front and will be closing down,was she asked to step down?Does she feel she did a bad job or was not helping the franchise,did her piers think that?

I mean look at her statement closely,some key words in there.She says stepping down "FOR NOW"...."will remain a player".IDK what to think of this really but imo she really wasn't a good person for the job but then again,was she in full control,idk,we don't know.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    So dabbling around the net and reading forums,it seems she has another job/role.Where that is idk but seems some hint it might be elsewhere.I mean why would she leave her role as an exec producer within to do what?So yeah i figure elsewhere.

So what is the obvious hunch?My gut wrenching feeling is that she is joining Smedley at Amazon.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• EQN13EQN13 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    Good. she was basically useless. She sat on 2 old games and did nothing with the IP.
    EQ needed a new version a LONG time ago.
    So now I think EQ will be sold off and I was actually hoping that Darkpaw games would announce a new EQ.
    guess we will see. maybe Pantheon has nothing to fear after all.
  • blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Her "casuals have ruined eq" comments around the launch of the Phinny server left me with a distaste for the woman and led me to not spend another dime on daybreak.  

Now that shes leaving....who knows, maybe they'll (Darkpaw or whomever buys it out) launch the rumored new EQ before Visionary Realms finished adding moss to trees for Pantheon.
    Vorthanion
     Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004

It's because someone got their back broken from a chair being thrown at the water cooler area and somebody else lied about it because they didn't want the other person who threw the chair to lose their job. Another dev is still annoyed about her taking the position that they were meant to have from years ago and ended up leaving their volunteer position due to not being put into paid work and taken for granted. Which resulted in positions needing to be changed and $7500 being paid due to being a victim of crime.

P.S. not really 
    SlyLoKjimmywolf

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Oh shit guys, I think we're about to get the magic we've all been waiting for:  a Kickstarter EQ3!
    Kumapon
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,361
    edited March 2020
    The franchise needs changes any! , i dont play eq anymore but Eq2 has been adding expansions that only add more (insane) grind or ways to milk the playerbase with the cash shop.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    As if there is an Everquest franchise left at this point... 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Vorthanionstrawhat0981[Deleted User]Nilden
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    edited March 2020
    I'm glad to see her leave. I didn't like her vision for the franchise, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the beginning of the rats jumping ship. When a game is about to tank, it's usually the executives that are the first to bail, since they have the easiest time finding a new job on other projects, even if they didn't do well at their current job. I pray that Wizardry is wrong about her shifting over to Amazon with Smedley. I can't think of a more horrible pairing for New World before it has even launched.
    DragonJockey

• bgzgamerbgzgamer Member UncommonPosts: 127
    She was beyond useless. Good fucking riddens tbh
  • LamiaCritterLamiaCritter Member UncommonPosts: 85
    I'm surprised she stayed this long, of her own free will, with players being ungrateful brats and verbally abusing her (as gamers are wont to do with devs these days).
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited March 2020
    I'm glad to see her leave. I didn't like her vision for the franchise, but I have a sneaking suspicion that this is the beginning of the rats jumping ship. When a game is about to tank, it's usually the executives that are the first to bail, since they have the easiest time finding a new job on other projects, even if they didn't do well at their current job. I pray that Wizardry is wrong about her shifting over to Amazon with Smedley. I can't think of a more horrible pairing for New World before it has even launched.

Or she actually wants to do something with her life/career.

Unless you LOVE the franchise and want to dedicate your life to it, why would you, a game industry professional, want to stick with a game that's just going along like "business as usual" when you can work on exciting new projects?

Valentinasausagemix
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Sovrath said:

Or she actually wants to do something with her life/career.

Unless you LOVE the franchise and want to dedicate your life to it, why would you, a game industry professional, want to stick with a game that's just going along like "business as usual" when you can work on exciting new projects?

That's why I never talk about any of the projects I am working on or rarely ones I have. People can be mean for no other reason to be mean. 
    Holly has been fighting the fight for EQ for a long long time. It is time to move on and spread her wings in new directions. 

there are a lot of people out there who are just plain angry and instead of dealing with that anger they pollute the world with it.

Now, move your ass on Hellblade 2 or else we'll move it for you! >:)
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

saltyEQ said:

More people play on 1 TLP server than all of EQEmu. You are delusional.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    She's moving to Amazon.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    What I don't understand is why hasn't whoever owns the EQ IP done more with it? They had the money to buy it but not produce a single new game using the IP. EQ was an iconic part of gaming history with such a huge amount of usable material. Make a turn based game, make a small scale lobby MMO, make a card game, make a moba, make a mobile game. They could literally use any art of a ogre, dwarf, orc, slap the EQ logo on it and it would be a Eq game.