Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The latest devblog. Forced PvP is gone.

Comments

• UngoodUngood Member LegendaryPosts: 7,530
    Ehliya said:
    I am sorry to see this, as I think open world PVP can create a lot of fun.  But it takes a lot of effort by the game companies and they have to make money to survive.  Policing the toxic part of the player base - about 1 percent of any human population are sociopaths and sadists and I'd guess the numbers are higher in Internet MMOs with open world PVP  - demands efforts out of proportion to the reward.
    Only takes one person to shit in the pool to ruin it for everyone else.
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    centkin said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    There was a time when you had groups of people who killed Player Killers. In fact, I believe it was UO who first encountered this type of gameplay. I guess now, it's no longer cool to gang up on the gankers, so we've gone back to square one of horrible gameplay in PvP.

Being an anti was always a rough road.  You had to be really good while also using time you could have been improving yourself guarding others for no exp/etc.  Games have never rewarded antis. 

Maybe one should be able to sign up as a sheriff in game and get benefits for this kind of activity.
    Indeed I have not really seen any games that does this well.  The best system I have seen was the blue name red name thing where if you killed peeps for no reason, as in to defend yourself, you went red name and the more red the more penalty to your stats until you worked it off in game grinding pve xp.

If you killed red names you went blue named and suffered no penalties..that said this could still be exploited and griefers did so at times and both ways too.

Have not see any pvp game where you could be a pker that worked for the "law" so to speak and received benefits for keeping pvers safer from pkers.
    Age of Wushu Constable (bounty hunter) system. 

Have it read it will widen your perspective 

http://www.ageofwushu.com/material/view/37
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • RylahRylah Member UncommonPosts: 194
    Here's the thing about PVP I've observed in every game but DAOC (which oddly had PVP right, although PVP still wasn't my bag).  High-level wolves gank low-level sheep ... mercilessly.  What I've also learned about MMO's is there are generally more "sheep" than "wolves" ... for a time.  The wolves run off all the sheep, then the game becomes niche, then it dies.

Solution?  Make a PVP server for the "wolves" and let them gank each other.

I'm a PVE player myself and am very pleased with the direction development is taking in this regard.

The game was designed and developed as a PvP game. Now removing this aspect and throwing in some half assed PvE as a hindsight will not keep players on board.

So essentially they destroyed the game for the PvPers and have no game to speak of for the PvEers.

Good riddance.

AlomarbcbullyChildoftheShadows
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I am willing to give them time to show us the PvE elements they have developed. I think that is fair to allow them them time to show us what they have but until then it is a firm no from me.
    Chamber of Chains
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Forced PvP you say?!?! Didn't know AGS was forcing you to play a game where going into you knew PvP was possible. You probably shouldn't play a game where the dev treats you like that btw.

bcbully
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • Dev_GriffterDev_Griffter Member UncommonPosts: 1
    I must have seen countless ads for this game over the last couple years. I never bothered to pay any attention to it. The cinematics which are always meaningless were just ok, and the snippets of gameplay that I did see looked dull and honestly just uninspired.

New World struck me as just one more nondescript title from an annoying developer buying space on my youtube feed. I didn't buy clash of clans either guys give it up already.

A few days ago in a fit of nostalgia I decided to watch an old Darkfall pvp video. I always scroll down to the comments to see how many others are like me hanging on to the good old days.

And that was when I saw it.

Someone posting that they couldn't wait for the launch of a New World. The game designed for open world full loot pvp.

OPEN WORLD

PVP

FULL LOOT

damnit AMAZON with these words alone you've got more viral potential than corona.

After Years. THE GAME. THE GEM I had missed. It was time. Gotta get the clan back together.

Imagine my dismay when I found out the game I brushed off was actually the game I had been waiting for since 2013 when Aventurine decided to double cross their subscribers by releasing a game that no one wanted and then followed up by going bankrupt.

I didn't really think the gameplay looked all that great, but I was so hyped for the PVP that I immediately went to the website to preorder and learn more about trying to get into a Beta. 

Fast forward 5 minutes and a blog post later.

Absolutely gutted.

Before launch the developers have decided to remove player versus player from the game altogether.

Absolutely gutted to find out that the developers have decided to not make the game after all.

just gutted.

Wish I could have played this one, for a moment anyway it seemed like it was going to be a good one.

I guess my first impression was the correct one.

Teilk
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Let's just hope character progression is really good. Otherwise, this game doesn't have a lot going for it.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Cant want to kill some skeletons for loot and levels! 
    ultimateduck
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Rylah said:
    Here's the thing about PVP I've observed in every game but DAOC (which oddly had PVP right, although PVP still wasn't my bag).  High-level wolves gank low-level sheep ... mercilessly.  What I've also learned about MMO's is there are generally more "sheep" than "wolves" ... for a time.  The wolves run off all the sheep, then the game becomes niche, then it dies.

I'm a PVE player myself and am very pleased with the direction development is taking in this regard.

The game was designed and developed as a PvP game. Now removing this aspect and throwing in some half assed PvE as a hindsight will not keep players on board.

So essentially they destroyed the game for the PvPers and have no game to speak of for the PvEers.

Good riddance.

PVP players destroyed the game for PVPers.....

Strangely, it seems to happen a lot....
    ultimateduckUngood

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

edited March 2020
    Rylah said:

Good riddance.

PVP players destroyed the game for PVPers.....

Strangely, it seems to happen a lot....
    Yup.. PvPers ruined this game by being spawn camping ganking assholes, put that blame where it belongs.

If they were't assholes, Amazon never would have even thought to take the PvP out.

That is why we can't have nice things.
    ultimateduckbcbully
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.

Nyctelios said:
    This issue reminds me of Blade and Soul faction pvp fiasco.

If you die, and don't pick the option to remove the gear which makes your pvp open, you'll respawn in a non protected zone and people can kill you while you load the game because the character is already spawn in the world while the game shows you the loading splash art.

It seems a issue they created themselves and, even with almost infinite options to fix it they chose the most lazy route: Remove it altogether.

They didn't remove PvP altogether. They put PvP on a toggle. I'm not saying this is any better but a person who wants the thrill can always leave it on.

Mendelbcbully
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Nyctelios said:

If you die, and don't pick the option to remove the gear which makes your pvp open, you'll respawn in a non protected zone and people can kill you while you load the game because the character is already spawn in the world while the game shows you the loading splash art.

It seems a issue they created themselves and, even with almost infinite options to fix it they chose the most lazy route: Remove it altogether.

They didn't remove PvP altogether. They put PvP on a toggle. I'm not saying this is any better but a person who wants the thrill can always leave it on.

My concerns about the flag is on the other side of the coin.  What happens to the PvE player who wants to leave the flag always Off?  Will they be able to progress?  Will they be able to own property?  What meaningful roles will they be able to occupy in the game and maintain the Off flag?  Is the Always Off going to be an equal and satisfying experience?

There were hints of the PvE being tied tightly to the PvP system from the initial 'focus change' announcement.  I really think this has a chance to disappoint both PvE and PvP players because AGS hasn't thought about ramifications of the game.  If they wanted to make an OWFFAPvP game, own that, but think it through and do it right.

Stick to your guns, AGS!  Changing horses mid-stream is just going to get everyone wet.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Nyctelios said:
    Nyctelios said:

It's the same thing.

The "fix" for Blade and Soul is to opt out of the PvP removing the gear which turns it on.

But ask yourself this: Is it a fix if you turn a mechanic off?
    Sure it is.

No different than making PvP Servers and Non-PvP Servers, which have been around for over 20 years now.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Nyctelios said:
    Nyctelios said:

It's the same thing.

The "fix" for Blade and Soul is to opt out of the PvP removing the gear which turns it on.

But ask yourself this: Is it a fix if you turn a mechanic off?
    It's a fix for the people who do not want to PvP and only want to when they wish it. No fix works for everyone .

Some of you seem so preoccupied with what other people are going to do or get away with.

If they don't flag, they don't flag. You don't get to gank them and take their shit. Life goes on.

That doesn't keep you from keeping your PvP flag on. Since the "OWFLPvP" group claims that open world PvP is the best because it creates and element of danger that you never know when it's coming... you get to keep that unknown element of danger. The only thing that a PvP toggle stops is you ganking people who don't want to PvP, which most of you claim isn't what PvP is about.
    bcbully[Deleted User]
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited March 2020
    Some of you seem so preoccupied with what other people are going to do or get away with.

If they don't flag, they don't flag. You don't get to gank them and take their shit. Life goes on.

That doesn't keep you from keeping your PvP flag on. Since the "OWFLPvP" group claims that open world PvP is the best because it creates and element of danger that you never know when it's coming... you get to keep that unknown element of danger. The only thing that a PvP toggle stops is you ganking people who don't want to PvP, which most of you claim isn't what PvP is about.
    You guys have to stop thinking so shallow. This is no different than quest indicators telling you where to go or mobile games that have an auto pilot feature. People always say the same thing, "BUT IT'S OPTIONAL!", but in reality that's not the same thing, not even close. Everyone being on the same level playing field in regards to choice heightens the experience. If everyone has the option to toggle on or off quest indicators, even if you don't like them, you will use them. Why? Because it's an advantage. I tried to voice my opinion to EQ when they introduced the magical quest guide, but in the end I lost and moved on. I lost my love for the game when they tried transitioning WOW components into it. I just didn't like what the game was becoming.

It's fine if you don't like PVP and don't want to be "forced" to pvp, but that means not playing an open world pvp game. Just like I don't play games that have auto pilot.

When people get excited for a product like New World that is centered around PVP and then they make changes this drastic do you seriously expect people not to complain? Really?! Don't be ridiculous.

While I am a fan of open world FFA pvp, I also understand that the few gankers out there ruin it for everyone. Not because they do kill "noobs", but because they grief them. That's why I prefer a system like Eve, DAOC, or Albion, where there are clearly marked areas and rules that limit, reduce, or prevent griefing. Where players can play all they want without worry and only venture into the "danger" zones if and when they feel the desire to pvp.

A toggle is most contrived way it could have been handled and by and far removes so much immersion that it's just not exciting to me anymore.

You can blame it on my need to "gank", but you couldn't be further from the truth. You just refuse to try to understand it.

TLDR: The bottom line is having a toggle for anything that provides an advantage is not truly an option.
    ultimateduckbcbullySovrath

You guys have to stop thinking so shallow. This is no different than quest indicators telling you where to go or mobile games that have an auto pilot feature. People always say the same thing, "BUT IT'S OPTIONAL!", but in reality that's not the same thing, not even close. Everyone being on the same level playing field in regards to choice heightens the experience. If everyone has the option to toggle on or off quest indicators, even if you don't like them, you will use them. Why? Because it's an advantage. I tried to voice my opinion to EQ when they introduced the magical quest guide, but in the end I lost and moved on. I lost my love for the game when they tried transitioning WOW components into it. I just didn't like what the game was becoming.

It's fine if you don't like PVP and don't want to be "forced" to pvp, but that means not playing an open world pvp game. Just like I don't play games that have auto pilot.

When people get excited for a product like New World that is centered around PVP and then they make changes this drastic do you seriously expect people not to complain? Really?! Don't be ridiculous.

While I am a fan of open world FFA pvp, I also understand that the few gankers out there ruin it for everyone. Not because they do kill "noobs", but because they grief them. That's why I prefer a system like Eve, DAOC, or Albion, where there are clearly marked areas and rules that limit, reduce, or prevent griefing. Where players can play all they want without worry and only venture into the "danger" zones if and when they feel the desire to pvp.

A toggle is most contrived way it could have been handled and by and far removes so much immersion that it's just not exciting to me anymore.

You can blame it on my need to "gank", but you couldn't be further from the truth. You just refuse to try to understand it.

TLDR: The bottom line is having a toggle for anything that provides an advantage is not truly an option.

I agree. I think the toggle is a lame half step that propably did more harm than good since the game wasn't originally designed for PvE and the focus was changed so severely without adjusting the release date to make up for the change.

I also disagree. OWPvP isn't about everyone being on the same level playing field. If it were, there wouldn't have been a change. The change wasn't made because people lost a fair fight. The change was made because PvP was being forced on to them by high level gank groups killing them over and over... hence the term "forced PvP".

Now, the OWPvP "purists" say OWPvP is great because it adds an element of danger above and beyond what NPCs can provide. But that isn't really the truth, is it? Those people can still have that element of danger, so if that's all there is to it there is no problem.

That only leaves one possible reason. OWPvP fans are upset that they don't get to *BE* that element of danger for everyone else. So in reality, OWPvP people are upset because you don't get to gank other people. That is the only element that is taken away with a toggle and that is the exact reason a toggle was implemented.
    cheyaneIselinbcbullyMendel[Deleted User]

I agree. I think the toggle is a lame half step that propably did more harm than good since the game wasn't originally designed for PvE and the focus was changed so severely without adjusting the release date to make up for the change.

I also disagree. OWPvP isn't about everyone being on the same level playing field. If it were, there wouldn't have been a change. The change wasn't made because people lost a fair fight. The change was made because PvP was being forced on to them by high level gank groups killing them over and over... hence the term "forced PvP".

You're just thinking of the wrong thing and that's probably my fault. It's not about being on an even playing field as far as skill goes, it's about being on an even playing field for risk. The risk of getting attacked by other players. It's like if you choose to toggle of your quest indicator so it's more challenging and all the other players around you leaving you behind. When you look around at the other players you know most of them are gliding through the quests while you're still trying to solve the problem. This puts you at a huge disadvantage. The toggle removes the equality of risk or challenge.
    Now, the OWPvP "purists" say OWPvP is great because it adds an element of danger above and beyond what NPCs can provide. But that isn't really the truth, is it? Those people can still have that element of danger, so if that's all there is to it there is no problem.

That only leaves one possible reason. OWPvP fans are upset that they don't get to *BE* that element of danger for everyone else. So in reality, OWPvP people are upset because you don't get to gank other people. That is the only element that is taken away with a toggle and that is the exact reason a toggle was implemented.
    No, this isn't it at all. The thrill of the risk is just as good and often more powerful than the thrill of finding a target.

You're only thinking of less than 1% of PVPers. People that PVPers say are not real PVPers at all. You're so focused on the douchebags you ignore everyone else. 

I love OWPVP and have never griefed in any OWPVP mmo I've ever played. Even when I waged war against mining corps in Eve we didn't punish them repeatedly and usually ended up as friends in the end.

The change was made because PvP was being forced on to them...
    Nope.
    high level gank groups killing them over and over
    Yes. It was changed because of griefing, not because PVP was forced. There's a big difference. They simply failed to use their heads and make proper changes.
    ultimateduck
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Yes. It was changed because of griefing, not because PVP was forced. There's a big difference. They simply failed to use their heads and make proper changes.
    "Proper changes" such as? I've yet to see an OWPvP system that discourages griefing enough that it becomes a rare thing. OWPvP = griefing in my 20 years of experience playing MMOs.

I'm not a fan of flagging because that's just an artificial and gamey toggle but at least they got the faction thing right for my taste because FFA is something I hate with a passion - games need to have an "us vs. them" component built in and not just let players form their own gangs.

What they didn't get right was that the PvP is not zone based where the PvP zones ARE open world with no flags.

The risk/reward part of losing your stuff when killed is something else altogether that is more about itemization and how replaceable items are than anything else related to PvP so I'm kind of neutral on that one.
    ultimateduck[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

You're just thinking of the wrong thing and that's probably my fault. It's not about being on an even playing field as far as skill goes, it's about being on an even playing field for risk. The risk of getting attacked by other players. It's like if you choose to toggle of your quest indicator so it's more challenging and all the other players around you leaving you behind. When you look around at the other players you know most of them are gliding through the quests while you're still trying to solve the problem. This puts you at a huge disadvantage. The toggle removes the equality of risk or challenge.

No, this isn't it at all. The thrill of the risk is just as good and often more powerful than the thrill of finding a target.

You're only thinking of less than 1% of PVPers. People that PVPers say are not real PVPers at all. You're so focused on the douchebags you ignore everyone else. 

I love OWPVP and have never griefed in any OWPVP mmo I've ever played. Even when I waged war against mining corps in Eve we didn't punish them repeatedly and usually ended up as friends in the end.

The change was made because PvP was being forced on to them...
    Nope.
    high level gank groups killing them over and over

Sadly, the 1% douchebagers can cause an amazing amount of damage to a game in a very short period of time. Perhaps the other 99% of real PvPers didn't police the douchebags enough.

I know one of my favorite things to do in DAoC was to hunt down and kill the guy ganking noobs that were leveling in the frontiers (exp bonus in the PvP zones). I would also like to kill a noob or two with the hopes that it would draw out someone to help them so I could kill them as well...but I never farmed them, just kill them once and /wave from the distance when they came back so they knew I was there. If no one came, I would let the noobs kill me for a quick port back.

It was fun, but too many people abuse it... or a handful of people abuse it too much and aren't kept in check.
    Iselin said:
    "Proper changes" such as? I've yet to see an OWPvP system that discourages griefing enough that it becomes a rare thing. OWPvP = griefing in my 20 years of experience playing MMOs.

I'm not a fan of flagging because that's just an artificial and gamey toggle but at least they got the faction thing right for my taste because FFA is something I hate with a passion - games need to have an "us vs. them" component built in and not just let players form their own gangs.

What they didn't get right was that the PvP is not zone based where the PvP zones ARE open world with no flags.

The risk/reward part of losing your stuff when killed is something else altogether that is more about itemization and how replaceable items are than anything else related to PvP so I'm kind of neutral on that one.
    You just mentioned zones yourself :P that’s a perfectly viable solution and it’s far less contrived because you can easily tie a zone to law while a toggle is... well fake. I mentioned in one of my previous posts games like eve, daoc, Albion. They’re not perfect, but no game of any kind ever will be. 
    ultimateduck
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited March 2020
    It is completely true that if a game has open PvP and as a player who doesn't want that, they should stay away. Unfortunately developers are trying to get these PvE players to play the game otherwise they wouldn't bother changing their games to cater to the PvE players. Your beef is with the developers who change their games.

Over and over again I see PvP players blaming the PvE players for ruining their games but that is simply untrue. Developers aren't happy with the PvP players only they want the PvE players because they will bring them more money. When something like what happened in New World chases players away or has the possibility of making players leave they changed the game. How do you reconcile this with the idea that developers are content with a smaller population for these types of games. The obvious answer is no they aren't. They are chasing the bigger populations and they are aware that this type of harassment is going to reduce the population.

The developers are not prepared to spend the necessary time to develop good systems to govern and deal with the issues, they prefer to simply add a toggle. This problem should be laid squarely at the feet of that small percentage of players who are bent on ruining it for all the other PvP players. There should be a way to weed them out and keep them away from these types of games that offer them an opportunity to be dicks.

PvP players are not prepared to police their own community. They prefer to complain and call the players who leave as cowards and dickless wonders. Then they just wallow and whine about how another game that was supposed to be developed for them was once again ruined by the PvE players. 1% shouldn't be able to ruin it for the 99% and yet they do.
    ultimateduck
    Chamber of Chains
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Remember when a certain someone tried to tell us he was only testing the cash shop idea in EQ2,then a couple months later the entire operation was all cash shop.

The he tried to sell people on Landmark...lol,then again with EQ Next,then after he got fired by Daybreak he tried to sell us some absolute pile of crap low budget game made with some kids lunch money.

Guess who also sold out his fellow employees among the many that lost their jobs once Daybreak took over.

Guess who is also lurking around Amazon game studios,yep Mr.Smedley.

I noticed he talked about everyone making money,the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now,people that will endorse games they couldn't care less about because they are getting paid.As well i guess there is no definitive law surrounding the term "influencer"so yeah that is the new gringo being used.
    I mean i am sure most realize by now the whole YELP scandal and how now Amazon has purchased Twitch TV.

Yep you can bet Amazon already has several big name Twitch streamers ready to "influence" the New World watchers,tell everyone how great it  is.
    Mendelultimateduck

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Wizardry said:

I noticed he talked about everyone making money,the "influencers" which is the tech name we call sell outs now,people that will endorse games they couldn't care less about because they are getting paid.

So good I added it to my sig. Gave you credit too :)
    Mendel
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Iselin said:

You just mentioned zones yourself :P that’s a perfectly viable solution and it’s far less contrived because you can easily tie a zone to law while a toggle is... well fake. I mentioned in one of my previous posts games like eve, daoc, Albion. They’re not perfect, but no game of any kind ever will be. 
    That has never been a good solution for me. There's ALWAYS incentives to go in the pvp zones, they're not optional.