Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Population counts

2»

Comments

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    On Topic:
    When numbers are good, games tell everyone.

When numbers aren't good, games suddenly shut up.

Didn't Fortnite, itself, boast of its player numbers? Now... <crickets>

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    AlBQuirky said:
    On Topic:

Never saw then say anything personally. 
    AlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Scot said:
    Hatefull said:
    Scot said:
    Delete, going to the stars is huminites future; a future that is in more danger from the way our societies are increasingly becoming risk averse and have a luddite attitude to new technology than radiation.

Once we have factories in space using materials mined from the asteroids doubters will see how beneficial it is. All that new industry and not an ounce of CO2 being made on Earth.
    All this is true, I'll not argue any of it. 
    But we can't...... some things are absolute, if we can't go we cant.  Any technology would be hundreds of years OR LONGER. My guess is never from what I've been reading.   

Lets not leave out cryogenics and biology, aging and time..... this science is as much science fiction as the travel itself.

God want's us here and adapt.  We need to do away with our selfish behavior.  This planet was made for one billion people and that's on bicycles. To agree with Trump, you will never do away with advancement in a green deal to stop it (sad to say greed wins)

Maybe we all have to kiss our ass good bye, and let the few left start over. 
    Science tell's us the planet recovers by itself WITHOUT OUR HELP. 

Last I'll leave you with this,
    7 billion people just 5 years back.... where reaching close to 8 billion.  Back in the 1970s it was only 4 billion.... We can't act fast enough. 
    We can and we do go to the stars. The international space station is manned constantly now. Yes, there is a lot to work out about living in space full time, but it will happen and the foundation is already being worked on.
    That's only close to our own orbit. It's far far worst out their.

I was about to get it space stations.... Their set for the greedy rich and us common common people are stuck here.

GUESS WHO PAYS FOR THE RICH TO LIVE COMFORTABLE ?..... Send your check to NASA.

Space travel is the cover story so you pay up.
    Are you sure you are not taking these ideas form Science Fiction novels? A film and TV series come to mind. Fiction has a poor track record predicting reality. In surveys here asking people to predict possible apocalyptic events, zombie hoards and machines taking over the world are up there. No justification in reality but people think that's on the cards. People first started to be concerned that machines would takeover the world in the Victorian era, one hundred and forty years later it has not happened. :)
    Oh really? Machines may not have taken over the world (yet) but they certainly have replaced humans in the workforce.

With the explosive growth of AI and machine learning the trend will continue to accelerate,  so much so the CEO of my employer is publically calling for governments and industry to start retraining the large number of soon to be unemployed white collar workers for new careers.

AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    AlBQuirky said:
    On Topic:

Yea, I don't recall anyone giving "solid numbers", but even WoW would publicly say when they were doing great, and be quiet when they started to decline.

As someone pointed out in the "Super Data" thread, Epic had no troubles with SD's numbers when they showed a large "guesstimate", but now dispute their "in decline" claims.

Maybe it's more "inference" on my part :)
    bcbully

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited March 2020
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Hatefull said:
    Scot said:
    Delete, going to the stars is huminites future; a future that is in more danger from the way our societies are increasingly becoming risk averse and have a luddite attitude to new technology than radiation.

Once we have factories in space using materials mined from the asteroids doubters will see how beneficial it is. All that new industry and not an ounce of CO2 being made on Earth.
    All this is true, I'll not argue any of it. 
    But we can't...... some things are absolute, if we can't go we cant.  Any technology would be hundreds of years OR LONGER. My guess is never from what I've been reading.   

Lets not leave out cryogenics and biology, aging and time..... this science is as much science fiction as the travel itself.

God want's us here and adapt.  We need to do away with our selfish behavior.  This planet was made for one billion people and that's on bicycles. To agree with Trump, you will never do away with advancement in a green deal to stop it (sad to say greed wins)

Maybe we all have to kiss our ass good bye, and let the few left start over. 
    Science tell's us the planet recovers by itself WITHOUT OUR HELP. 

Last I'll leave you with this,
    7 billion people just 5 years back.... where reaching close to 8 billion.  Back in the 1970s it was only 4 billion.... We can't act fast enough. 
    We can and we do go to the stars. The international space station is manned constantly now. Yes, there is a lot to work out about living in space full time, but it will happen and the foundation is already being worked on.
    That's only close to our own orbit. It's far far worst out their.

I was about to get it space stations.... Their set for the greedy rich and us common common people are stuck here.

GUESS WHO PAYS FOR THE RICH TO LIVE COMFORTABLE ?..... Send your check to NASA.

Space travel is the cover story so you pay up.
    Are you sure you are not taking these ideas form Science Fiction novels? A film and TV series come to mind. Fiction has a poor track record predicting reality. In surveys here asking people to predict possible apocalyptic events, zombie hoards and machines taking over the world are up there. No justification in reality but people think that's on the cards. People first started to be concerned that machines would takeover the world in the Victorian era, one hundred and forty years later it has not happened. :)
    Oh really? Machines may not have taken over the world (yet) but they certainly have replaced humans in the workforce.

With the explosive growth of AI and machine learning the trend will continue to accelerate,  so much so the CEO of my employer is publically calling for governments and industry to start retraining the large number of soon to be unemployed white collar workers for new careers.

That's not taking over the world, "A Mexican Mystery" (1888) is one of the earliest "machine revolt" tales where a machine (a steam train) became sentient and tried take over the land. AI may be having an explosive growth but that does not mean we are anywhere near making real AI. This is how people reacted when they saw clockwork gadgets like the one that could write a letter in the Victorian era, humanity is still here. :)

The retraining is another matter; since tools were invented people have been replaced by them. It is only the scale and speed of replacement that causes issues. But yes, in a era of such rapid development that would not be a bad idea but baring in mind that you cannot predict with certainty what they should retrain to.

AlBQuirky
  • moshramoshra Member RarePosts: 400
    Scot said:
    moshra said:
    OMG, this is pure gold.  Opens with "still trying to figure out why you people are trying to collect data when it's impossible."  Then goes on to explain his own efforts to collect data.  Too good, too good...
    Yeah, but all those other people collecting data obvs didn't know the coveted /who commands required to collect such data, nor did they "search the internet deeply" in order to find out what server was the most populated.  Those other people were probably using yahoo search engine results when Delete was smart enough to use the upstart google search engine.

My only suggestion to Delete is that he start charging for this information rather than give it to us so freely.
    While I am not at all confident of Delete's methods I applaud the fact he tried to work something out for himself and do a bit of research. The entire media is full of accepted wisdom, parroted by broadcasters and tweeters. If it fits what you want to be true it is true. Please affirm my views don't inform them has become our default position. When it comes to the companies that work out population data I think they are by and large right, but that of course means they are not always right.

You go right ahead and applaud his "research" while he tells everybody else they are wrong. 
  • DammamDammam Member UncommonPosts: 105
    Scot said:
    moshra said:
    OMG, this is pure gold.  Opens with "still trying to figure out why you people are trying to collect data when it's impossible."  Then goes on to explain his own efforts to collect data.  Too good, too good...
    Yeah, but all those other people collecting data obvs didn't know the coveted /who commands required to collect such data, nor did they "search the internet deeply" in order to find out what server was the most populated.  Those other people were probably using yahoo search engine results when Delete was smart enough to use the upstart google search engine.

My only suggestion to Delete is that he start charging for this information rather than give it to us so freely.
    While I am not at all confident of Delete's methods I applaud the fact he tried to work something out for himself and do a bit of research. The entire media is full of accepted wisdom, parroted by broadcasters and tweeters. If it fits what you want to be true it is true. Please affirm my views don't inform them has become our default position. When it comes to the companies that work out population data I think they are by and large right, but that of course means they are not always right.

Sure, I applaud critical thought and rational arguments. The problem is that the OP lacks both.

Look, the OP shares how his method of estimating population size produces numbers that don't match other figures being shared. So what? If the OP wishes to argue that his method produces different results, then sure. But this neither supports his claim that none of us can know the real numbers, nor does it show that his estimates are better than the other ones out there.  To do either of those things, the OP actually needs to compare his method with the methods that produced those other estimates in an attempt to argue that a) these methods are all fundamentally flawed or b) his method is more accurate.

Instead, the OP claims all estimates are hokey, then makes a hokey estimate of his own, and reiterates that estimates are hokey. It would be like me saying none of us can know the diameter of the sun, then claim that I tried to measure it one day by sticking a ruler up to the sky, used a little trigonometry (my methods are scientific, yo!) and didn't get anywhere near the numbers astronomers provide, so clearly we can't estimate the diameter of the sun.

Whether it's parroting accepted wisdom or pulling things out of one's ass, the underlying problem is a lack of rational, critical thought and yes, that is bad.
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    If a game have 100k players that don't mean all 100k will be online at the same time.

I would say only around 10% of people will be online at any given time.

AlBQuirky
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801
    AAAMEOW said:
    If a game have 100k players that don't mean all 100k will be online at the same time.

I would say only around 10% of people will be online at any given time.

It's not really about that as much as how many will be on at peak times. And that, I suppose, would depend on how good the game is. 
    I think it would be about 30% for a good game. 

Once upon a time....

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    AlBQuirky said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    On Topic:

Yea, I don't recall anyone giving "solid numbers", but even WoW would publicly say when they were doing great, and be quiet when they started to decline.

As someone pointed out in the "Super Data" thread, Epic had no troubles with SD's numbers when they showed a large "guesstimate", but now dispute their "in decline" claims.

Maybe it's more "inference" on my part :)
    Perfectly natural reaction you have to admit. I can’t see anyone doing things to differently.