Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the writing?

olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

A large part of RPG's is the quality of writing. I really appreciated the writing in games like Morrowind, or Baldur's Gate, or Vanguard. I particularly like Vanguard's method of telling you the land's lore as part of doing diplomacy.

Lately, many MMO's are really not written much at all, very little reading is required. There is not really much "lore", and quests tend to be the generic "go here, do that, kill this, bring me that" kinds of things, wilth little or no backstory. That is more like an action game.

I have not had much luck with STO yet, I am running an ATI 1800, and the screen keeps flickering as it redraws the scenery, both on the land and in space. It is almost impossible to play, so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet.

How is the writing?

------------
2024: 47 years on the Net.

Comments

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

What I have seen so far is the typical MMO fare in terms of writing. There's a war, you're preparing for it and denizens need your help. It's not horrible so far,yet far from stellar. The written dialogue though is well done, as in the conversations you have with NPC's. Again it's nothing to really write home about though.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990
    Originally posted by olepi

A large part of RPG's is the quality of writing. I really appreciated the writing in games like Morrowind, or Baldur's Gate, or Vanguard. I particularly like Vanguard's method of telling you the land's lore as part of doing diplomacy.
    Lately, many MMO's are really not written much at all, very little reading is required. There is not really much "lore", and quests tend to be the generic "go here, do that, kill this, bring me that" kinds of things, wilth little or no backstory. That is more like an action game.
    I have not had much luck with STO yet, I am running an ATI 1800, and the screen keeps flickering as it redraws the scenery, both on the land and in space. It is almost impossible to play, so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet.
    How is the writing?

It's fairly weak at least so far.  What you have found to be disappointing in mmos as of late is exactly what you'll find here, and there really doesn't seem to be much of a main story arc either unless that comes or progresses at higher levels.  Nothing really stands out anyways far as the writing least to me.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• MasoniclightMasoniclight Member Posts: 87

As a roleplayer, I always take a long look at the storyline... STO is a little shallow right now but I expect it will get better since this is still only Open Beta.. a lot of potential for great stories to be sure.. that will come with the maturing of the game... lets see what 45 days after launch look like when the first big patch/addition is added.

• ArchbaneArchbane Member Posts: 14

I was not impressed with the writing, it has a very generic feel to it that only ties the game superficially to the Trek universe. About the level of Champs Online if you've played that.

• LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited July 2019
    Maurgrim said:
    [mod edit]
    Holy moly what an epic necro.
    At least the bot landed their ad link on a tangentially related subject.
    Post edited by Vaross on
    Phry
  • robertcoelho001robertcoelho001 Newbie CommonPosts: 1

Students usually say that academic writing is a difficult task. While I agree with the fact but I don’t like students skipping their writing projects just because they find it difficult. I know that writing can help me learn a lot of things and also develop my skills. I like to help students in their assignment help, UK essay help, assignment writing service, etc.

• hassanali87hassanali87 Member CommonPosts: 3
    We all know education is one of the main and foremost things in our lives. We cannot think otherwise. This is one of the best platforms out there for the sake of our ease. Read a lot more about educational stuff from https://www.ihatewritingessays.com/ now or whenever you need to. That would be really good.
  • martinmoolleysmartinmoolleys Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Not only are we writing, but we are always writing to the audience for a specific purpose. When we write, we do this because we want, need or be required to create a fixed space for someone to receive and respond to our ideas. I am a professional writer and provide online assignment services I have great experience in writing.
  • jamesowensjamesowens Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    I Know that why students hate's the writing because we can face it on step by step at practically, they have a hard time getting started and feel overwhelmed by the task, and some of the students will face this situation because the lack of ideas so we find a solution for those students, we have a team of writer and we are supporting students in their assignment writing help UK in a reliable price. 
  • aleks4013aleks4013 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Depends on which writing do you mean. If we talk about college writing tasks than you’d better use some services as https://speedypapers.net.
  • ZelibobayobaZelibobayoba Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    The best education opportunity for me is to delegate my writing task to professionals like https://speedypapers.net/ and save my free time
  • superioressayssuperioressays Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    We offer best online exam help. We allow Do My Exam For Me. Our services are economical and 100% satisfactory.
  • garudabhatnagargarudabhatnagar Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    This is good but I want to write my social media essay at my own.
  • superioressayssuperioressays Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    Superior Essays offers #1 Best Essay Writing Services with highly qualified Essay Writers. Get Essay Help UK with in your budget!
  • EthanScratchleyEthanScratchley Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    top advice
    I am a 4th year student, studying logistics, working as a freelancer. I don't really like to study, written research assignments are a difficult test for me, I rarely write anything, whatever the topic, because it's easier for me to look for help on the Internet, so I recommend that you go to EssayReviewExpert to read a review AffordablePapers writing service where you can learn about all the features of this cool company, about their ratings and strengths, this will allow you to quickly find the written help you need.
  • AndrewBrickmanAndrewBrickman Newbie CommonPosts: 5
    I'm constantly searching for methods to improve my SEO efforts as a marketer. It was much simpler for me to select the best rank tracker tool because this post included a comprehensive summary of the best ones. Autor studies are an important asset to the marketing community.
    Thanks a lot for advice!
  • Danielle007Danielle007 Newbie CommonPosts: 1
    Many students often find academic writing to be a challenging endeavor, and I can empathize with that sentiment. However, I believe that avoiding writing projects altogether due to their difficulty is not the solution. Personally, I've discovered that writing can be a valuable tool for learning and skill development. That's why I'm passionate about assisting students with their assignment help, UK essay help, assignment writing service, and other academic needs. For those seeking additional support in academic writing, please refer to this link: Top 5 Custom Writing Services.