Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dss and Settlers of Elyria.

BlackpippinBlackpippin Member CommonPosts: 4
We are about to reach one year with this milestone and is still far from over. Lord bless us all. What do you ALL think about it? 

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited March 2020
    Bah, those are both so 2019.

This is the year of the ZIPLINE baby. 

B)
    AnOldFart

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,986
    We are about to reach one year with this milestone and is still far from over. Lord bless us all. What do you ALL think about it? 
    Has anyone seen Caspien’s Gantt charts lately? I hear they explain all.

This year is all about forgetting about the past and RISING!

Kyleran

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• goldboyy45goldboyy45 Member UncommonPosts: 301
    The year of the parkour, after seing this video i'm thinking dropping some money here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIgZlFFwRFg&feature=emb_title
    The year of the parkour, after seing this video i'm thinking dropping some money here.

That is absolutely hysterical.  It's even worse than I predicted last week.  They should honestly be ashamed of themselves for showing that as their progress video for a game that was supposed to launch last year. 

Surely even the diehard base must now realize the joke right?

AmatheWenchesnmead

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

That is absolutely hysterical.  It's even worse than I predicted last week.  They should honestly be ashamed of themselves for showing that as their progress video for a game that was supposed to launch last year. 

At lest it's not another "mood piece." Gotta give them that.

OTOH, this shows very clearly why they lean toward showing mood pieces instead of in-game footage.
    Slapshot1188
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DeveronDeveron Member UncommonPosts: 60
    It‘s receiving praise left and right. I probably would have done the same, if it weren’t so late in development. The atmosphere is nice and all and the parkour system looks decent, but as it‘s contained in an offline instance, it remains moot.

Just think of all the work required to make this work and not prone to bugs/exploits in an online environment. Servers tracking movement of PC/OPC/NPC and projectile trajectories in three dimensions (four, if the spirit plane will be allowed to interfere with the living world or vice versa) seems like a very daunting task to me. Add destructible objects and the potential loss of one’s pathway and hook points during movement and it’s an ordeal.

Well, there’s at least one sane person in that thread, who’s questioning the design. Let’s see if anyone from SbS drops in and has an answer how they think they can manage to solve all of that. 
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Again, why parkour?  Is this really what people who paid big money to be kings and counts and lords were expecting?  Where's a sword, or at least a silly chain mail bikini?

This is about as disappointing as expecting a mature version of Tarzan true to the Edgar Rice Burroughs character, and getting Danger Island instead.  (I'll bet Richard Donner doesn't list that on his resume).

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited March 2020
    Deveron said:
    It‘s receiving praise left and right. I probably would have done the same, if it weren’t so late in development. The atmosphere is nice and all and the parkour system looks decent, but as it‘s contained in an offline instance, it remains moot.

Just think of all the work required to make this work and not prone to bugs/exploits in an online environment. Servers tracking movement of PC/OPC/NPC and projectile trajectories in three dimensions (four, if the spirit plane will be allowed to interfere with the living world or vice versa) seems like a very daunting task to me. Add destructible objects and the potential loss of one’s pathway and hook points during movement and it’s an ordeal.

Well, there’s at least one sane person in that thread, who’s questioning the design. Let’s see if anyone from SbS drops in and has an answer how they think they can manage to solve all of that. 
    Praise?

This link is a free downloadable template for UE4 and I think it shows everything in the CoE video plus extra stuff like swimming etc...

https://youtu.be/KSRnJrdP_qc

It's literally free to download as an asset...

PS: The guy that made that asset said he made it after starting to use UE4 5 months ago, by himself.

So yeah, what a great progress video for a team of 20 with $8M raised.  IMHO it literally shows less than 1 dude who taught himself UE4 could create (and share) in 5 months.  They could have (maybe did) download his asset for free.

Deveron said:

Praise?

This link is a free downloadable template for UE4 and I think it shows everything in the CoE video plus extra stuff like swimming etc...

PS: The guy that made that asset said he made it after starting to use UE4 5 months ago, by himself.

So yeah, what a great progress video for a team of 20 with $8M raised.  IMHO it literally shows less than 1 dude who taught himself UE4 could create (and share) in 5 months.  They could have (maybe did) download his asset for free.

This demo is actually more advanced since it has crawling on your belly, a feature I've never seen in an MMORPG before. 

There's been times when I wished I could have when crouching down just wasn't enough.

bcbully

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Deveron said:

Praise?

Yeah, as I said, people are starved for content and updates and will cheer on pretty much anything playable. For me, it’s too little too late. 

Maybe a couple of years ago, as a proof of concept, I would have welcomed it, too. But as a proof of work, since it‘s lacking pretty much everything from the advertised features and doesn’t show off any of the underlying tech aside from UE, it‘s insufficient. 
    Mendel
  • OrangeBoyOrangeBoy Member UncommonPosts: 213
    This video puts the BS in SBS
    Slapshot1188Deveron
    edited March 2020

I've said it before I'll say it again. Caspian in no way wants to show anything, he is being forced to because the community is pretty much coming together and saying "look, enough is enough..when can we start testing content?"....I bet you if it was up to Caspian, he would keep everything under wraps at least another year. We know KSV is coming up in a few months and it's very obvious Caspian wants people to test this then basically ask for more money with fresh new items in the store and new milestones/stretch goals to unlock.

Where is everything Caspian promised in the 0.5.0 Pre-Elyria client? When will that be available to test? Caspian has NEVER said anything about testing parkour in a timed manner with leaderboards....Caspian never sticks to anything, he makes shit up as they go along.

As of March 6th, where the heck is the State of Elyria he promised in December 2019?

Where is Settlers of Elyria? Does it really take 3 months to fix some bugs? What is SBS not telling us? 
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    Well I can tell you that I won't be buying anywhere else, pretty sure more of my community feel the same way
    AnOldFart said:
    Well I can tell you that I won't be buying anywhere else, pretty sure more of my community feel the same way
    The forum post discussing the utterly ridiculous parkour demo is vastly positive. I think Caspien has found the most gullible audience of any Crowdfunded mmo.  And that is saying a lot.

[Deleted User]

edited March 2020
    Caspian provided a very reasoned explanation on the COE forums last night as to why the downloaded UE4 assets used in the original parkour demo proved to be unviable for MMO development.

A few of the highlights, but read the full post if you have time. 

"The problem with the content/asset packs is they're built separate from one another, by different individuals, using different materials & shaders. That means in a small, single-player game it's perfectly acceptable to download a few asset packs, throw them in your game, and they'll more or less get the job done. However, in a large game like ours, where we expect to have hundreds or thousands of entities on the screen at the same time, we need as many of the models as possible using the same materials/shaders in order to minimize the amount of video RAM being used. We found early on that as we started throwing more and more asset packs into the game with different materials/shaders attached to them that performance started to tank pretty quickly."

"So much like with the game assets, you download the plugins and quickly find that their Blueprint-exclusive solutions, their multiplayer stack, or simply the fact that all game data is stored and updated using UE4's Actor model and not your/our proprietary ECS game system, renders the majority of what you downloaded useless.

And to underscore that final point, we used many of those plugins in our earlier prototyping to "find the fun" with features such as parkour/traversal problems, combat, archery, and more. And then it was time to get serious, and the last couple of years has been about creating the necessary functionality NOT using off-the-shelf solutions that won't work in an MMO, and won't work with our ECS, but implementing versions that will."

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/34719/prealpha-advanced-traversal-mechanics-gameplay-video?page=5#91
    bcbully

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I have used the unreal engine's a very long time and what he says does make perfect sense.There are tools in the Unreal engines that allow the user to lower the overhead even when using many different assets.

However i think the issue people had was that he was trying to pan off a "look"in the game,marketing the game with assets not of his own and as stated won't even be used in game.Perhaps he doesn't have to explain himself or needed to release the "look" with a little more information but then again ,depends how you look at it.

Sort of like the military showing off some new weapons they have but not telling you how they got them......your beloved tax dollars and bought off some other country.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited March 2020
    Kyleran said:
    Caspian provided a very reasoned explanation on the COE forums last night as to why the downloaded UE4 assets used in the original parkour demo proved to be unviable for MMO development.

A few of the highlights, but read the full post if you have time. 

"The problem with the content/asset packs is they're built separate from one another, by different individuals, using different materials & shaders. That means in a small, single-player game it's perfectly acceptable to download a few asset packs, throw them in your game, and they'll more or less get the job done. However, in a large game like ours, where we expect to have hundreds or thousands of entities on the screen at the same time, we need as many of the models as possible using the same materials/shaders in order to minimize the amount of video RAM being used. We found early on that as we started throwing more and more asset packs into the game with different materials/shaders attached to them that performance started to tank pretty quickly."

"So much like with the game assets, you download the plugins and quickly find that their Blueprint-exclusive solutions, their multiplayer stack, or simply the fact that all game data is stored and updated using UE4's Actor model and not your/our proprietary ECS game system, renders the majority of what you downloaded useless.

And to underscore that final point, we used many of those plugins in our earlier prototyping to "find the fun" with features such as parkour/traversal problems, combat, archery, and more. And then it was time to get serious, and the last couple of years has been about creating the necessary functionality NOT using off-the-shelf solutions that won't work in an MMO, and won't work with our ECS, but implementing versions that will."

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/34719/prealpha-advanced-traversal-mechanics-gameplay-video?page=5#91
    If that is true, then why are they not testing with " hundreds or thousands of entities on the screen at the same time"?  If that is really what is special about what they have done and differentiates them from the free asset packs then how is showcasing a single player running through a pre-defined parkour course demonstrating that?

It's also interesting that he states they put a lot of store asset packs into the development, which explains why even their supposed homebrewed solution looks so similar to those free packs.

More importantly, given the apparent resources spent trying parkour asset packs and developing their own solutions over the YEARS, is this time well spent for an MMORPG focused on politics and territory control when they are already years behind schedule and millions over budget?

bcbully

I still believe their trial grounds is just a bought and modded asset. He said himself, they do work just nicely for a single player experience.

They need to show off the world, they supposedly are working on. But it‘s all text. Everything else they showed looked limited in scope and could have been created rather easily with a plethora of available tools.

There‘s supposed to be that test continent that’s not going to be available for play, so why not show that one off? They could have released just that and let all alpha testers run over it for testing basic movement a good while ago. Why didn’t that happen?

What kind of data are they expecting to collect from a single player testing instance?

If the demands of a large scale world are so different to small scale experiences and assets and features are more interdependent on each other, what benefit is there to singling out a feature and testing it stand-alone?

Why don’t they embed it into their testing world map and release that to alpha backers?

And how long will our favorite lap troll take this time to derail the thread and bait critics and skeptics into being moderated?

Questions upon questions...
  • DiscordsOfElyriaDiscordsOfElyria Newbie CommonPosts: 8
    Someone make a thread and post the TOMB RAIDER demo, omg, what a **** of ****
    No, we are in pre-alpha right now. There is no release date for neither beta nor alpha. Given the track record of the studio, they can't help but being over optimistic on release dates... so I think it is the right move not to make their own estimate public.
  • SilverTonguedSilverTongued Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Such a boring thread. Find a hobby boys.
    Slapshot1188Kyleran
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I have to agree with this statement, but probably not for the reason the poster intends.  I agree that it's boring and pointless, because every one of us knows that this game is never coming out in a state remotely resembling what was originally pitched.  It's an absurdity.  And yet we continue to waste our time discussing it, me included.  I think there's a part of me that likes to see these projects fail after so much deception.
    AnOldFartWaan
  • AnOldFartAnOldFart Member RarePosts: 562
    edited March 2020
    I have to agree with this statement, but probably not for the reason the poster intends.  I agree that it's boring and pointless, because every one of us knows that this game is never coming out in a state remotely resembling what was originally pitched.  It's an absurdity.  And yet we continue to waste our time discussing it, me included.  I think there's a part of me that likes to see these projects fail after so much deception.
    I'll be upset if it fails because I'm invested, I'll also be upset if it's released because its not what was originally promised in kickstarter....

Lose lose situation.
    At least I met a great group of people
    Kyleran
    Dancing over graves is a perverse hobby of mine:disappointed:

It's wrong, but just so darn fun.

:D
    bcbully

Kyleran said:
    Dancing over graves is a perverse hobby of mine:disappointed:

It's wrong, but just so darn fun.

:D
    Looks like soon you'll be able to do that IRL.
    Does anyone know what is happening with SoE? I've been away a few days, so i hear they are launching again but there has been issues or?