Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GDC Has Postponed Conference Due To Coronavirus Fears

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited February 2020 in News & Features Discussion

imageGDC Has Postponed Conference Due To Coronavirus Fears

It's official - the Game Developer's Conference has been postponed due to the coronavirus scare. GDC have made an official statement regarding the matter.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    The GDC has pulled out of the GDC.
    rojoArcueidQuizzical[Deleted User]supx2
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    And people were laughing at Sony for saying they pulled out of E3 over Coronavirus concern...

It's a matter of time for PAX and E3 to get cancelled too.

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Arterius said:
    The more and more this stuff arises the more likely it is that next gen consoles get pushed back. Though Microsoft said otherwise to investors I am taking a wait and see approach.
    If they’re smart they are already getting new manufacturing locations like Apple did. 
    [Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353
    Arterius said:
    The more and more this stuff arises the more likely it is that next gen consoles get pushed back. Though Microsoft said otherwise to investors I am taking a wait and see approach.
    Consoles aren't dependent on conferences.  They're dependent on hardware being ready.  I don't see that getting delayed unless one of a handful of places where people develop the hardware gets shut down for an extended period of time.  Conferences, on the other hand, are a terrific way for a pandemic to spread, as one person could bring a virus and then twenty people take it home with them all over the world.
    Arterius said:
    If they’re smart they are already getting new manufacturing locations like Apple did. 
    If they want it to be better than their previous generation, then TSMC and Samsung are the only fabs that could plausibly build it in the necessary time frame.  And it's not at all clear that Samsung has a process node appropriate to a high-power console part, as opposed to a low-power things like cell phone chips.

Besides, a chip that isn't taped out yet isn't launching this year.  If they decided to move to Samsung today, they'd have a bunch of work to redesign the chip for a different process node, then perhaps another year after that from tapeout to launch.  A move to Samsung could easily mean a 2022 launch even without any health concerns.  And South Korea seems to be harder hit than Taiwan, anyway, so that move would probably make the situation worse, not better.

While it is possible to simultaneously design the same chip for two completely independent foundries, it's extremely unusual to do so because the cost is so high.  Game consoles especially wouldn't want that, as they need to have only one bin.  If you use two foundries for the same console at the same time, the console specs would have to be whatever the worst foundry could deliver.  That seems like a way to lose a competition against the PlayStation 5.
    edited February 2020
    Quizzical said:
    Arterius said:
    Consoles aren't dependent on conferences.  They're dependent on hardware being ready.  I don't see that getting delayed unless one of a handful of places where people develop the hardware gets shut down for an extended period of time.  Conferences, on the other hand, are a terrific way for a pandemic to spread, as one person could bring a virus and then twenty people take it home with them all over the world.
    Apple already ran into this issue, according to reports, so it’s reasonable to assume Microsoft could as well. Let’s hope they’re planning ahead. 
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    edited February 2020
    State media is doing its job by spreading panic over something that's barely more dangerous than the flue. 0.4% terminal rate vs 0.1%, pretty much all over 80 years old... wow, stop everything!!
    ZenJellyMagikarpsGhost
    goozmania said:
    State media is doing its job by spreading panic over something that's barely more dangerous than the flue. 0.4% terminal rate vs 0.1%, pretty much all over 80 years old... wow, stop everything!!
    Show me your doctorate. 
    ZenJellyElendengelEightBitNinja
  • goozmaniagoozmania Member RarePosts: 394
    edited February 2020

goozmania said:

Show me your doctorate. 

Only 2 bachelors' and the ability to read online articles and journals, sorry.
    IceAge
  • WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 374
    goozmania said:
    Imagine wanting companies to risk the health of their employees because "ITS IMPORTANT I SEE XBOX ONE X VIDEOS THEY WERE GOING TO SHOW THERE." 

There's an important thing to note.  This isn't taking place of the flu (notice how there's not an e there).  It's in addition to the normal flu, the difference being one can be vaccinated against and the other has no cure.  If their work force comes down with it, congrats.  They can't make ANY progress because they are now at the whim of how soon or long it takes for a vaccination to be finished.
    jimmywolf[Deleted User]ZenJellyElendengel
    goozmania said:

goozmania said:

Show me your doctorate. 

Then your opinion is as valuable as mine. 
    maskedweasel
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    goozmania said:

goozmania said:

Show me your doctorate. 

You got your facts wrong. Also got a ro of 4.1
    ZenJelly

• jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    when it first hit they said we be lucky to live 2 month with the rate it spread, when it had a patience with a rare longer incubation time vs the normal traceable one, fear went around anyone could be effected and we would never know. so now the long list beyond that, has us waiting on the edge of are seat wondering how close to death we are continues...

if this had a 50% or more death rate, i would panic. if this had a faster spread rate as in everyplace in the world right now was suffering a quarantine because it would not stop spreading, i would panic. if it was a guarantee death sentence to be infected with no chance of recovery, i would panic . as it stand it a virus that can kill just like 99% of shit out their that can kill us and people are demanding answers,cures,safety to a issue that just another day in are world.

the sun still going rise tomorrow, death will still come for us regardless if this virus faded overnight and the world and society will still exist long after us and are fear are dead.

• supx2supx2 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    They should add this in the list of events of Plague inc
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Hopefully we still get any announcements digitally. I still think that the companies that had things to show could do an in-house stream or something. Just make it eGDC.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

Quizzical said:
    Arterius said:
    Apple already ran into this issue, according to reports, so it’s reasonable to assume Microsoft could as well. Let’s hope they’re planning ahead. 
    Apple did not decide at the last minute that it would be nice to be able to produce essentially the same chip at both TSMC and Samsung.  Apple decided several years ahead of time that they had sufficient volume to justify the additional cost of developing the same chip for both foundries.  That added development cost was likely in the hundreds of millions of dollars; if not, then it was at least in the high tens of millions.

Using multiple, completely independent foundries for chips built on a cutting-edge process node is extremely unusual.  It's likely that the only cases of it happening in the last decade are a few very high volume chips from Apple.  The next Xbox isn't likely to have sufficient volume to make the added development cost of using multiple foundries for the same chip into a reasonable thing to do.  The only other case that I can think of where the "same" chip was fabricated at multiple, independent foundries was a few Intel chipsets, which are also very high volume parts, and those weren't on a bleeding edge process node.

It's just not worth paying an extra $200 million for an off chance of being able to launch the console a few months sooner.  Game consoles have very long lifetimes, so a delay of several months isn't going to cost you half of the chips that you would have ever sold, as could happen with something that refreshes far more often.  Besides, if TSMC runs into serious problems that delay the next Xbox, it would probably also delay the PlayStation 5 for the same reasons, so Microsoft wouldn't even be particularly hurt by it.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited March 2020
    As a Hodgkin Lymphoma survivor my immune system is trash now. When i get a simple cold it lasts for months and it leads to fever and headaches, and a couple of times i've lost my voice. There is no way in hell i'm exposing myself to this coronavirus, much less for an entertainment convention.
    Post edited by rojoArcueid on
    maskedweaselElendengel

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I live in Rome Italy. For us here at least considering how fast and serious it got for the people in North of Italy we are very worried about the hospitals being overrun. The fact is they don't have enough machines to treat the people if they get the bad pneumonia and there is no way to survive the critical stage without them. 

The center for disease here treated two early cases and it took 5 weeks of intensive care to treat them with experimental drugs from the ones they used for Ebola and SARs. If a large number of people like what is happening in Lombardy get ill and if many are in serious condition the hospitals won't be able to handle it. The health care will break down we don't have the resources that China has to build a hospital in 9 days nor the manpower to handle what they manage with their absolute rule. 

This isn't China where you can order and transport healthcare workers to the infected regions. Commandeer resources and people. We can only do what we can and it is taking a huge toll in Lombardy and Veneto. This is the reason the Corona virus in no way compares to the flu.
    Chamber of Chains
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited March 2020
    IDK if i lived in Italy i would be scared for sure.I think i might even not go to work until a vaccine is found.I have enough money to hold me over a full year if i had to but sadly most people must commute and come in contact with hundreds of people every day.

Then because detection can take up to 2 weeks,it could be worse than anyone expects.

Remember China quarantined a whole city of millions,Russia is targeting Asians in a bad way.If this gets out of hand it will be chaos,like how would you even go to the Hospital knowing there are hundreds of infected patients there.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited March 2020

goozmania said:

goozmania said:

Show me your doctorate. 

No you sound pretty ignorant to me. More like a faux news troll spouting alternative facts. The difference with COVID-19 vs the common flu is there is currently no available vaccine for this strain, at all. It also has a long incubation period so it can be spread like crazy by one person before it's even known. It also survives on surfaces for days.

A few countries are getting close to a vaccine for it. A few vaccine solutions are being tested here in the US, but it's months away from being produced for people in the US, much less billions of people around the world.

Avoiding contact with lots of people right now if you have immune system issues is smart. If you have to go out, washing your hands and disinfecting things you use and being cautious of places and things where germs linger is wise.

Look If you want to expose yourself to it because you think you are OK, than by all means go right ahead. You will not brainwash us with your BS here sir.
    Post edited by Tiller on
    Elendengel
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Fear wins, it seems.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Agoraphobia is catching on.

Here in Canada there have only been 15 or so cases so far but yet I see quite a few people (like every worker at my local 7-eleven) wearing surgical face masks for what they hope is prevention. They are not even the N95 masks which is what you actually need to use if hand washing frequently is not enough for you.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Doctors will tell you to take precautions during regular flu season too and I bet the same people, “ oh it’s just the flu” spread it around like wildfire because they’re too stubborn and dumb to care. 
    [Deleted User]